This article contains major spoilers for the recently released, The Place of No Stars. This also includes the reveal of the identity of the impostor. Please proceed at your own discretion.
|"From now on, let us face new threats as StarClan intended—five Clans united."|
|— Alderheart after all five Clans make peace in The Raging Storm, page 322|
Alderheart is a ThunderClan medicine cat who has served under Bramblestar's, briefly Tigerstar's, the impostor's, Squirrelflight's, Lionblaze's, and Graystripe's leaderships in the lake territories. He was born as Alderkit to Squirrelflight and Bramblestar, alongside his littermates, Sparkkit, Juniperkit, and Dandelionkit. He was originally apprenticed to Molewhisker; however, he later became a medicine cat apprentice with Jayfeather as his mentor. StarClan sent him on a quest to find SkyClan, but he and his companions were unsuccessful, instead meeting Darktail and his rogues. On the journey back, Alderpaw and Needlepaw found two abandoned kits, Twigkit and Violetkit, and took them to join the Clans.
Alderpaw helped raise Twigkit, even taking her to visit Violetkit, who was claimed by ShadowClan. After completing his training, Alderheart served his Clan with compassion and empathy, and he was overjoyed to see that Needletail made it to StarClan. He strongly believed that SkyClan should have a place beside the other Clans at the lake and later became ThunderClan's sole medicine cat after Jayfeather was exiled by the impostor. After being forced to train Flipclaw as his apprentice, Alderheart was exiled by the imposter for standing up to him, and he stayed in ShadowClan briefly as a refugee. He provided assistance to the rebel group in confronting the impostor, and was welcomed back to ThunderClan after the impostor's exposure, and subsequent capture, during a battle with the rebels and members of all five Clans. After the death of Willowshine, Alderheart went to RiverClan to act as their temporary medicine cat.
- 1 History
- 2 Character pixels
- 3 Official art
- 4 Ceremonies
- 5 Personality
- 6 Relationships
- 7 Family
- 8 Appearances
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Quotes
- 11 External links
- 12 Notes and references
Looking for a longer overview? Find one here!
- "We need you in ThunderClan, Alderheart. You're a good medicine cat. You work hard to keep your Clan healthy, and you have a real connection to StarClan. And you're young: you’ll take care of the next generation of ThunderClan cats, just as you looked after Twigpaw. If ThunderClan had to lose you, it would be like a wound that wouldn't heal."
- ―Jayfeather to Alderheart River of Fire, pages 238-239
- On the way back, he and Needlepaw find two abandoned kits. They name them Twigkit and Violetkit, and after some disagreement, the kits are taken to ThunderClan. At a Gathering, ShadowClan and ThunderClan fight over the kits, with ShadowClan claiming Violetkit. Alderpaw acts as a fatherly figure toward Twigkit and communicates with Needlepaw so the sisters may meet in secret. When yellowcough weakens ShadowClan, WindClan refuses to share lungwort that was only found on their territory, and Alderpaw speaks against their immorality. Jayfeather is impressed by his apprentice and names him a full medicine cat as Alderheart.
- When Darktail and his Kin take over ShadowClan, Alderheart worries for Needletail and Violetpaw, mourning when he hears of Needletail's death. Though Twigpaw brings SkyClan back to the lake, Alderheart's relief doesn't last long, and he grows frustrated with Sparkpelt when she and several other cats oppose SkyClan settling at the lake. Alderheart desperately misses Twigpaw when she chooses to live with her family in SkyClan, but welcomes her when she returns. He falls for a kittypet named Velvet when she seeks shelter in ThunderClan from a fire. However, he assures Jayfeather that he is loyal to ThunderClan despite his feelings for Velvet and says good-bye to the kittypet at the Twolegplace.
- Alderheart saves Puddleshine's life when he is caught in barbed wire by using deathberry skins. When Tigerstar discovers Alderheart's unusual methods, Tigerstar makes Alderheart become ShadowClan's temporary medicine cat as Puddleshine recovers. In ShadowClan, Alderheart becomes close to Shadowkit, one of Tigerstar's kits, and notes the kit's future as a medicine cat. Alderheart continues to advocate for SkyClan's place at the lake and is relieved when all five Clans make peace at last.
- Alderheart: "In all the times I have shared dreams with StarClan, our warrior ancestors have never asked any cat to serve a leader without question. Sometimes it's right to question! How much more devastation would Darktail have caused if none of his followers had questioned him?"
- Bramblestar's impostor: "The code says you will obey your leader! But since you've made it clear you can't do that, you can leave too! ThunderClan has no use for a faithless medicine cat!"
- Veil of Shadows, page 188
- Like the other medicine cats, Alderheart is worried when StarClan cannot be contacted when the Moonpool freezes over. Bramblestar falls mysteriously ill, and Shadowpaw informs them of a cure for him. Both medicine cats try it, but it initially doesn't work, and Bramblestar dies. Alderheart grieves for his father, but when he revives, he is overjoyed. Rootpaw summons Bramblestar's ghost for the medicine cats and reveals the truth about the impostor. The false Bramblestar exiles Jayfeather for being a codebreaker, leaving Alderheart as the sole medicine cat of ThunderClan. The impostor also often yells and berates the dark ginger tom, later forcing Alderheart to reluctantly train Flipclaw as a medicine cat apprentice, much to both cats' dismays. Alderheart is exiled after he stands up to the impostor, leaving Flipclaw as the sole medicine cat with very little training. After the impostor is defeated, Alderheart and Jayfeather return to ThunderClan under the acting leadership of Squirrelflight. After his mother is kidnapped by Ashfur, Alderheart believes that she wouldn't have gone willingly, and is later sent to act as RiverClan's temporary medicine cat by Graystripe.
The pixel artwork is an interpretation based upon canon material.
Please do not edit this gallery
|Alderpaw's apprentice ceremony|
|Alderpaw's medicine cat apprentice ceremony|
|Alderheart's medicine cat ceremony|
- Alderheart is a kind, loving, loyal and nervous tom. As an apprentice, Alderheart tends to become anxious when he is put in difficult situations and often doubts his own abilities when he compares himself to other cats. He is deeply compassionate and naive, and he shares a strong connection with StarClan.[source?]
- "Alderkit knew how much his mother adored him and his sister. He was only a kit, but he understood that Squirrelflight was old to have her first litter, and he remembered their shared grief for his lost littermates: Juniperkit, who had barely taken a breath before he died, and Dandelionkit, who had never been strong, and who had slowly weakened until she also died two moons later. Sparkkit and I have to be the best cats we can be for Squirrelflight and Bramblestar.'"
- ―Alderkit thinking about his mother The Apprentice's Quest, page 16
- Alderheart: "You didn't care how I felt about SkyClan. Or that I've been worried about the prophecy or that it might be embarrassing to need saving from a kittypet! You're always so sure of yourself—you act like everything you do is okay, and sometimes it's not okay!"
- Sparkpelt: "I know you wanted SkyClan to stay. But that doesn't mean I had to agree. I can have my own opinion. And of course I care that you're worried. But you're right. I guess I've been too caught up with Larksong to take the time to talk to you about stuff that's important. And I'm sorry I saved you from that fat kittypet... I'm not sorry exactly. I wasn't going to let you get your fur ripped off. But I trained as a warrior and you trained as a medicine cat. But if I was bleeding to death right now, you'd save me, wouldn't you? Because that's what you do. You save cats. I hunt and fight."
- Darkest Night, pages 197-199
- Alderheart wishes he had the confidence of his sister. She is much more eager and outgoing than him, and he is sometimes overwhelmed by her energetic attitude. Alderheart thinks she is funny, smart, and an amazing warrior. Sparkpelt thinks that Alderheart's sensitiveness makes him a great brother.
- Twigkit: "They said I was just an ordinary cat. But if I'm just an ordinary cat, the Clan won't want me anymore. So I had to prove I was special."
- Alderpaw: "Of course you're special! StarClan led Needlepaw and me to you. And the Clan will always want you. You're one of us now, and nothing will ever change that."
- Thunder and Shadow, page chapter 6
- Coming Soon
- "Alderpaw felt good [...] to know he had this cat’s respect. He knew he shouldn’t like Needlepaw as much as he did. She’s from another Clan, and she breaks rules all the time, and she’s rude about senior warriors . . . but she’s fun, and different, and she’s really good at hunting and fighting. And she always says exactly what she thinks.'"
- ―Alderpaw about Needlepaw The Apprentice's Quest, page 104
- Despite their clashing natures, Alderheart liked to spend time with Needletail. He enjoyed how she always spoke her mind, and how she was different, like him. Even though he knew that she broke the rules all the time and was from another Clan, he couldn’t resist seeing her.
- Alderheart: "I'm going to miss having you around camp."
- Velvet: "I'll miss you, too. But I know there's no way we could be together. We lead such different lives. I can't stay here, and I know you have responsibilities and can't leave your Clan."
- River of Fire, page 240
- Coming Soon
- Coming Soon
- Alderheart's parents are Squirrelflight and Bramblestar. His littermates are Sparkpelt, Dandelionkit, and Juniperkit. For more of Alderheart's family, click here!
- Pebbleshine's Kits
- The Apprentice's Quest (First appearance)
- Thunder and Shadow
- Shattered Sky
- Darkest Night
- Tigerheart's Shadow
- River of Fire
- Tawnypelt's Clan (Allegiance only)
- Spotfur's Rebellion
- The Raging Storm
- Squirrelflight's Hope
- Lost Stars
- The Silent Thaw
- Veil of Shadows
- Darkness Within
- Graystripe's Vow
- Daisy's Kin
- The Place of No Stars
- Kate said that she liked Alderheart better than Sparkpelt because she prefers a worrier.[blog 1]
- Kate has said that Alderheart does have feelings for Needletail.[blog 2]
- Kate believes Alderheart to be short-furred.[blog 3]
- He was mistakenly called Alderpaw before his apprentice ceremony, and called by his apprentice name after receiving his full medicine cat name.
Notes and references
- Revealed in The Apprentice's Quest, allegiances
- Revealed in Veil of Shadows, page 268
- Revealed in The Place of No Stars, page 90
- Revealed in The Raging Storm, chapter 7
- Revealed in Veil of Shadows, page 286
- Revealed in Veil of Shadows, page 82
- Revealed in Veil of Shadows, page 188
- Revealed in The Apprentice's Quest, page 8
- Revealed in The Apprentice's Quest, page 12
- Revealed in The Apprentice's Quest, page 85
- Revealed in Thunder and Shadow, page 374
- Revealed in Thunder and Shadow, allegiances
- Revealed in The Apprentice's Quest, page 60
- Revealed in Veil of Shadows, page 115
- Revealed in Veil of Shadows, page 27
- Revealed in The Raging Storm, chapter 25
- Revealed in The Apprentice's Quest, page 7
- Revealed on
- Revealed in The Apprentice's Quest, chapter 5
- Revealed in The Apprentice's Quest, page 16
- Revealed in The Apprentice's Quest, page 18
- Revealed in The Apprentice's Quest, page 19
- Revealed in Darkest Night, page 110
- Revealed in Darkness Within, page 200
- Revealed in Darkest Night, page 199
- Revealed in The Apprentice's Quest, page 104
- Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 15
- Revealed in Firestar's Quest, pages 496-497
- Revealed in The Apprentice's Quest, page 10
|Medicine cats||Jayfeather • Alderheart|
|Warriors||Thornclaw • Whitewing • Birchfall • Mousewhisker (Baypaw) • Poppyfrost • Cinderheart (Finchpaw) • Bumblestripe • Blossomfall • Ivypool • Cherryfall • Molewhisker • Lilyheart (Flamepaw) • Dewnose • Stormcloud • Fernsong • Sorrelstripe • Hollytuft • Sparkpelt • Honeyfur • Leafshade • Twigbranch • Finleap • Eaglewing (Myrtlepaw) • Plumstone • Shellfur • Bristlefrost • Thriftear • Flipclaw|
|Apprentices||Baypaw • Myrtlepaw • Flamepaw • Finchpaw|
|Queens||Daisy • Spotfur|
|Elders||Brackenfur • Brightheart • Cloudtail|