This article contains major spoilers for the recently released, The Place of No Stars. This also includes the reveal of the identity of the impostor. Please proceed at your own discretion.
|"I don't want to be treated like a kit or an elder. I joined ShadowClan so I could be a warrior. I'm perfectly okay. I should be taking care of my Clanmates. They shouldn't be taking care of me."|
|— Antfur to Shadowsight in The Silent Thaw, page 124|
Antfur was a ShadowClan warrior that served under Tigerstar's leadership. He was originally Ant, and lived with the guardian cats. He decided to leave them, along with Cinnamon and Blaze, to follow Spire and Tigerheart's family to the lake territories. Ant joined ShadowClan as an apprentice, becoming Antpaw, with Stonewing as his mentor. Antpaw later was made into a warrior, Antfur, along with Cinnamontail and Blazefire. Antfur later died after falling from a tree after recently suffering from a head injury. His spirit was unable to find StarClan, and he was later imprisoned in the Dark Forest by Ashfur.
- 1 History
- 2 Character pixels
- 3 Personality
- 4 Relationships
- 5 Appearances
- 6 Quotes
- 7 Notes and references
In the A Vision of Shadows arc
- Ant is one of the group of cats that are at the Moonpool when Alderheart and Violetshine arrive to see if Tigerheart is really dead. The black and white she-cat looks at the newcomers and asks where they all came from. Dovewing explains that they had met Ant, Cinnamon, and Blaze in a huge Twolegplace.
- "They looked too old to be apprentices, but pride shone in their eyes as their leader acknowledged them."
- ―Cinnamonpaw and Antpaw after being introduced at a Gathering The Raging Storm, page chapter 6
In The Broken Code arc
- "He wanted to be a warrior the moment he knew what one was. He was always the first to spot prey and the first to chase it. He wanted to help make his Clan as strong as healthy as it could be. And in the end, it killed him."
- ―Cinnamontail grieving over Antfur The Silent Thaw, page 128
- Three days later, Antfur still believes he is back in the city. Shadowsight wakes him up, hoping he will feel better today. The young medicine cat is relieved to hear that Antfur recognizes him and Puddleshine, correctly recalling what had happened to him. He asks to return to his warrior duties, and while initially Tigerstar agrees, Shadowsight remains doubtful. However, Antfur is determined to contribute to the Clan. Tigerstar agrees providing Antfur will remain close with his patrol.
- Not long after, Snaketooth, Gullswoop and Blazefire return with Antfur's body. Cinnamontail frantically asks what happened, and Blazefire explains how Antfur got dizzy and fell from a tree while chasing a squirrel. The two friends reminisce about Antfur's determination to help his Clan. ShadowClan mourns for Antfur, and Shadowsight grimly wonders if the warrior's death was a warning from StarClan.
- Coming Soon
In the Super Editions
- Dovewing: "You told us the tunnels were dangerous."
- Dash: "I'm used to them. I'd never take kits or strays in there!"
- Tigerheart's Shadow, page 308
- Ant accompanies Fierce and Cobweb when they first meet Tigerheart, acting aggressive to the Clan cat. After Tigerheart introduces himself and asks for Dovewing, Ant leaves under Fierce's orders see if there is a cat with that name. Later, Ant returns and reports that Dovewing will see him, which Fierce relays to Tigerheart. Fierce, Cobweb, and Ant lead Tigerheart to Dovewing, going through the Twoleg den. As they pass by, a confused Tigerheart asks if Bracken is a medicine cat, after seeing them treat Rascal's rat bite. However, this befuddles his escorts, and Ant explains to the tom that all cats take care of each other. Later, as the tabby tom talks to his mate, Dovewing sees Ant, Cobweb, and Fierce watching and tells them to leave.
- The next day, Fierce enlists Tigerheart and Dovewing's help concerning the foxes that are preventing them from gathering herbs. He agrees, so the tortoiseshell calls together Ant, Cobweb, and Cinnamon to go with them and investigate. Ant asks if they'll be fighting, but Fierce says no. Ant reassures Tigerheart that they know a safe route, though he still seems skeptical. The cats continue to pad on until they reach a tunnel that goes under a large Thunderpath. They emerge on a green stretch next to the Thunderpath, where several types of herbs grow. Ant hurries over to a patch of feverfew, commenting that it's ready to gather.
- The patrol moves to investigate the fox's scent, and Cobweb and Ant press together. A fox approaches, knocking the pair of cats backwards as it lunges forward. Tigerheart tugs the creature backwards, giving the smoky gray tom time to escape. Ant jumps to his paws, striking at the fox's muzzle with his claws. The creature lunges at him, but he dodges out of the way and aims another blow. Tigerheart watches as the guardian cats attack the fox, but can tell their attacks aren't scaring the creature, but only making it angry.
- The fox lunges at Cobweb, and Tigerheart wrenches him free before barking out orders, which Fierce, Ant, and Cinnamon obey. A second fox approaches, and Tigerheart urges Cobweb to get up, knowing that these cats can't win this fight. Ant rushes forward and helps Cobweb down the slope, and the others follow, only leaving the ShadowClan tom. He yowls at them to run, and Tigerheart stalls until each guardian cat escapes. Tigerheart then turns and hurtles through the tunnel and to safety.
- A few days later, Tigerheart teaches the guardian cats some fighting moves, though not all are enthusiastic. Ant and Cinnamon look excited, and Tigerheart is glad that want to learn. The dark tabby then works out a strategy for fighting the foxes, and Dovewing suggests that they use one cat as a kind of bait, so that the foxes will come out of their den. Tigerheart agrees, and Spire then volunteers for the position. The next day, the cats travel to the herb patch, and Spire walks to a spot in the middle of the clearing.
- He acts distracted, chasing imaginary prey and letting out a yowl. The fox comes out because of this, and Fierce immediately jumps on top of it. Ant and Cinnamon then leap out of their hiding spots and they surround the fox with Pipsqueak's help. The cats start attacking the red-pelted creature, and it thrashes desperately beneath them. However, the vixen soon comes, and Tigerheart goes to confront it. Both foxes soon leave after they become overwhelmed by the cats clawing at them. Ant, Cinnamon, and Pipsqueak weave around each other happy that they've won. The cats then fill up the fox den with enough debris to make sure they don't come back.
- Later, Ant and Blaze play fight, and the kit tries to practice his fighting moves on his companion. Dovewing says that he's doing great, and the tom-kit then leaves the game when Spire returns. Ant comments that the Twolegs yowling every quarter moon is very weird, and he thought it was dogs howling at first. The tom gets up and stretches, saying he's going hunting. Ant offers that Tigerheart can come along, but he declines. He flicks his tail in acknowledgement, and then makes his way to the den exit.
- Moons after, Ant goes on patrol with Fierce, Tigerheart, Dovewing, and Spire. As they approach a Thunderpath, the tabby tom scents the rogues they'd met yesterday. He calls the patrol to him, and Ant follows behind slowly as they confront the gray rogue she-cat. Tigerheart accuses her of trespassing, but Fierce and Ant explain that this isn't their land, and that they just sleep in the gathering place and scavenge everywhere. The argument breaks up, and Ant follows the tortoiseshell as she leads her cats away. Dovewing reminds Tigerheart that these cats live differently, and that they're only visitors. The patrol keeps walking and comes across some scrapcans.
- Tigerheart devises a plan to catch some rats, but they're scared away by Fog. He is angry with her, but Ant and Fierce hang back, not defending his points. The cats break up after deciding that negativity is unproductive, despite his protests. They leave and go back to the gathering den. Another day, Fierce gathers together several cats to go to the Twoleg gathering to scavenge. Ant goes with them, and encourages those who are going to get fish, since many cats like it. The patrol splits by Fierce's command, the tom goes with Mittens and Rascal.
- Tigerheart brings his group's first haul back to the collection, with Ant's group just behind. The brown and black tom reports that Fog and her group are here scavenging, which sends Tigerheart racing to confront them. He gets into a fight with Fog, but when Twolegs spot them, he runs. Tigerheart makes it back to his group, and tells them to grab what they can and run. Once they escape and he explains what happened. Fog and her group confront them again, but are sent off with harsh words from Tigerheart. Ant returns to the gathering den with the group, carrying prey. When they return, the smoky gray tom shares a meaty bone with Ant.
- As Fog's group becomes an increasing problem, Tigerheart suggests that they drive the foxes out of her group's old home so they'll return and leave. They dubiously agree to learn to fight, and Ant exits the den with his friends to train. Tigerheart watches Cobweb and Ant attack Rascal, but fall away sloppily when the tom ducks from beneath them. He teaches them how to fight two foxes at once, and Fierce begins to split cats into groups. However, a squeal from Pouncekit alerts everyone that the kit is in trouble, and they break up to investigate. They find that the kit is trapped in a mesh trap, and free them. Afterwards they close the remaining traps by triggering them with branches, and conclude that the shiny strip in the middle is what makes them close.
- The Twolegs replace the old traps with new ones, which the guardian cats continue to close. Tigerheart formulates a plan to drive the foxes into the traps, which Ant agrees to help with. With the help of Tuna, they carve out two good routes, and start their plan the next day. The brown tom comes to help them, and Ant agrees that it couldn't do any harm. The group opts to follow Tuna's lead and soon make it back to Fog's old camp. Ant listens to Tigerheart establish everyone's familiarity with their Clan, and his settling of Tuna into a group. The tabby tom warns them to look out for their partners, so no cat is left to face the foxes alone.
- Ant and Cobweb express doubts, but Fierce insists that they need to take a stand and defend their home. The cats agree that they know their routes, and break up into groups. They jump onto a wall, and Tigerheart orders Cobweb and Tuna to surround the biggest fox, while Fierce and Ant take the other. He tells the tortoiseshell she-cat to lead theirs back the way they came, so their routes don't overlap. Tigerheart and his group get their fox to the meeting point, where other cats wait to do the second part of the plan. He watches as Fierce and Ant run from a passageway just past the gathering place and then duck away as Dotty, Cinnamon, and Peanut take their place.
- Later, he goes scavenging with Fierce, Cinnamon, Mittens, Dovewing and Tigerheart. They file out the exit, walking towards the scrap-cans. The next day, Tigerheart and Dovewing announce that they are going back to the lake with their kits because of his Clan. Blaze decides to join Tigerheart and Dovewing, as do Ant and Cinnamon. Tigerheart discusses it with Dovewing, and both agree that the two guardian cats would make a good addition. Ant says his goodbyes to his denmates and then quickly makes his way to the wooden exit ledge.
- As they travel, Ant helps the kits travel by carrying them across when the patrol crosses Thunderpaths. They soon reach a deserted alley, and the tom puts Lightkit down. With Cinnamon's help, they find Dash, who agrees to lead them to the right tunnel. The loner comments that it's dangerous, which offends Cinnamon, though Ant attempts to calm her. Dash then leads them into the tunnel, and they begin to walk into the darkness. Ant offers to give Pouncekit a badger ride, though Tigerheart insists that a warrior walks. A Thundersnake approaches, and the patrol huddles close to the tunnel wall. Eventually, the cats discuss the tunnel's end, and what the landscape on the other side is like. After exiting the tunnel, the cats find a place to camp for the night and sleep.
- A half-moon later, the cats are still following the Silverpath on their way home. Tigerheart fondly thinks about how hard Ant and Cinnamon work to distract the kits with their games, and their improving hunting skills. Suddenly, Spire stops and insists that they leave the Silverpath and find an orange sun, which Cinnamon brushes off. Ant suggests that they rest for tonight so that Spire can forget about his supposed revelations, which relieves Tigerheart. They make camp, and all of the cats wearily drift to sleep. Later that night, Spire goes missing when he searches for the orange sun. Blaze, Tigerheart, and Dovewing decide to go after him, leaving the kits with Cinnamon and Ant.
- They find Spire, and they also meet Cloverfoot, Rippletail, Berryheart, and Sparrowtail. They decide to come with Dovewing and Tigerheart back to the Clans, and the she-cat mentions that Ant and Cinnamon will want to know how they are for the kits' sake. The next day, after meeting up with Ant and Cinnamon, the cats continue to travel. The two former guardian cats are excited to learn about Clan life, asking as many questions as the kits do. Spire announces that they need to leave the Silverpath, or there will be death without meaning. All the cats gather close, talking about what he's said. Tigerheart contemplates the risks, but decides to follow Spire on a new route.
- Spire leads them to a river with a long arched Thunderpath across it, which they decide to cross. Cinnamon and Ant squeeze under the fence, quickly bounding to the other side. Before everyone can make it across, the Thunderpath splits open in the middle, trapping some on the wrong side. Spire falls through the crack when he rescues Pouncekit, mouth opening in a wail that will never come. Rescue attempts for Spire fail, and Cloverfoot suggests that they could go back to the Silverpath, though Ant disagrees. Tigerheart mentions he passed a Twolegplace like this one on his way here, and that it might be the same one. He decides that they will keep on the route Spire started, even though most of the cats are less than enthusiastic.
- The next day, Berryheart begins her kitting. The cats decide to stay in place until Berryheart's kits are fully weaned, so they can travel easier. A moon later, Tigerheart walks into camp, spotting Ant and Cinnamon resting in a patch of sunshine. Shadowkit tells his father that they should leave before night falls, but he says they'll go tomorrow. However, as it gets dark that day, an owl gets a hold of Tigerheart after he rescues Hollowkit, and he is severely injured. They try to travel toward ShadowClan, hoping to get Tigerheart to a medicine cat. They stop later in the day to hunt, but after a little while, Tigerheart gulps for air, meowing that he can't breathe. Cinnamon, Ant, and Dovewing watch with horror in their gazes. Tigerheart then dies, letting his last breath go in a final effort.
- When Tigerstar wakes up from his nine lives ceremony, he sees Ant, Cinnamon, and the rest of ShadowClan happily waiting for him. Tawnypelt comments that the newly named Tigerstar has brought home new warriors as well as old, to which he agrees, and asks the Clan to accept Ant and Cinnamon. He is ready to lead now, and while ShadowClan stays silent for a moment, they then chant his leader name.
- Antpaw has earned his warrior name of Antfur.
In the Novellas
- Tawnypelt spots Antpaw and Blazepaw eating together by the fresh-kill pile, remembering that they had been brought to ShadowClan by Tigerstar from the Twolegplace.
Please do not edit this gallery
- Antfur is eager to come with Tigerheart and become a warrior, and when he does, he is a deeply loyal ShadowClan cat who is eager to help his Clanmates and do warrior duties.
- As a guardian cat, Ant spent a lot of time with Tigerheart, and he and Cinnamon are always ready to go along with his ideas. Ant decides to travel with Tigerheart when he goes back to ShadowClan, and becomes a loyal warrior under his leadership.
- "He wanted to be a warrior the moment he knew what one was. He was always the first to spot prey and the first to chase it. He wanted to help make his Clan as strong as healthy as it could be."
- ―Cinnamontail about Antfur The Silent Thaw, page 128
- Coming Soon
- When Antfur briefly suffered from amnesia, Shadowsight aimed to help his friend recover and was crestfallen when he fell from a tree and died, blaming himself for not keeping Antfur in the den to recover more.
- Tigerheart's Shadow (First appearance)
- River of Fire
- Tawnypelt's Clan
- The Raging Storm
- Squirrelflight's Hope (Allegiance only)
- Lost Stars (Allegiance only)
- The Silent Thaw †
- The Place of No Stars (Indirect mention only)
- Fierce: "I think he has a lot of useful knowledge. It seems foolish not to learn from him."
- Ant: "I want to learn how to fight, too."
- Tigerheart's Shadow, page 161
- Cinnamon: "I want to come too."
- Ant: "So do I."
- Tigerheart's Shadow, pages 300-301
- Shadowsight: "You need to rest."
- Antfur: "I've already rested for three days."
- The Silent Thaw, page 124
- Blazefire: "We told him to stay close. But he chased a squirrel up a tree. I followed him, but he was too fast. He'd cornered it at the top before I reached him, and he got dizzy...He fell."
- Gullswoop: "There was nothing we could do."
- The Silent Thaw, pages 127-128
Notes and references
- Revealed in The Place of No Stars, page 160
- While he has not physically appeared as spirit, deceased cats are unable to reach StarClan, and Willowshine says that "every cat who died after we lost contact with StarClan and then some" were in the Dark Forest.
- Revealed in Tigerheart's Shadow, chapter 35
- Revealed in Tigerheart's Shadow, page 135
- Revealed in Tigerheart's Shadow, chapter 27
- Revealed in The Silent Thaw, page 127
- Revealed in The Raging Storm, allegiances
- Revealed in Lost Stars, allegiances
- Revealed in Tigerheart's Shadow, page 133
- Revealed in Tigerheart's Shadow, page 322
- Revealed in Tigerheart's Shadow, page 137
- Revealed in The Silent Thaw, page 122
- Revealed in Tigerheart's Shadow, page 207
- Revealed in The Silent Thaw, page 128
- Revealed in Tigerheart's Shadow, page 189
- Revealed in The Silent Thaw, page 129
|Members||Boots • Bracken • Cobweb • Dotty • Feather • Fierce • Marigold • Mittens • Peanut • Pipsqueak • Rascal • Scowl|
|Former members||Antfur • Blazefire • Cinnamontail • Dovewing • Lightleap • Pouncestep • Pumpkin • Shadowsight • Spiresight • Tigerstar|