|"Betrayal could come from anywhere. You must stand alone, knowing your ancestors walk with you, and you alone."|
|— Barkface to Kestrelflight in Night Whispers, page 154|
Barkface was a WindClan medicine cat under the leadership of Tallstar and Onestar in the forest and lake territories. He was born as Barkkit to Brackenwing and Redclaw, along with Shrewkit. He became interested in medicine at a young age, and eventually became Barkpaw under Hawkheart's mentorship. Eventually, he received his full medicine cat name, Barkface. He encouraged Talltail to leave WindClan when he received an omen and was happy when he returned many moons later.
Barkface continued to serve WindClan, even after ShadowClan drove them off their land. While Fireheart and Graystripe brought them back, he received an omen stating that today would bring an unnecessary death. He helped to heal the injured during the BloodClan battle and later joined his Clan on the Great Journey. Barkface supported Onewhisker during Mudclaw's rebellion and became his medicine cat once he rose to leadership. Now one of the oldest medicine cats, he mentored Kestrelflight before dying and ascending to StarClan.
Looking for a longer overview? Find one here!
- "The clouds are stained with blood! It is a sign from our ancestors. There is trouble ahead. This day shall bring an unnecessary death."
- ―Barkface upon seeing the red clouds Fire and Ice, page 76
- "Stop! Sheathe your claws, Mudclaw. Clan leaders have never been chosen by fighting. And do you want to start a fight with Tallstar’s spirit still watching over us? We should be sitting in vigil for him, not bickering over who will take his place. You betray him by behaving like this. He always expected the best from his senior warriors. I believe what the ThunderClan cats tell us. This was Tallstar's choice, and you must accept it."
- ―Barkface to his Clanmates Starlight, page 130
- "It doesn't look as if Littlecloud is coming. I thought he at least would stay faithful to StarClan."
- ―Barkface about Littlecloud when ShadowClan stops believing in StarClan Long Shadows, page 61
- "You must trust in your ancestors, not in other Clans. The past will be your strength, not the present."
- ―Barkface to Kestrelflight Night Whispers, page 153
- In Tallstar's Revenge, Barkkit is born to Redclaw and Brackenwing alongside his brother Shrewkit. He befriends Tallkit, their denmate, and tries to ease his brother's harsh words to Tallkit. After removing a thorn from Tallkit's paw, Barkkit insists he wants to train as a medicine cat, though Tallkit couldn't imagine having Hawkheart as a mentor. He becomes Barkpaw, and he and Tallpaw continue their friendship through their adulthood. When Talltail struggles to fit into Clan life and longs to find Sparrow who he believed killed his father, Barkface discovers a tuft of Talltail's fur blowing away in the wind. Barkface believes this meant Talltail's destiny lies outside the Clans, and he wishes his friend well. He is delighted when his friend returns, and serves as Tallstar's medicine cat.
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
|Redclaw ♂||Brackenwing ♀||Mistmouse ♀||Hareflight ♂|
|Barkface ♂||Shrewclaw ♂||Ryestalk ♀||Doespring ♀||Stagleap ♂||Wrenflight ♀|
|Mudclaw ♂||Tornear ♂||Morningflower ♀||Ashfoot ♀||Onestar ♂|
|Gorsepaw ♂||Crowfeather ♂||Unnamed kits||Darktail ♂||Unnamed kits|
= Gender Unknown
- Tallstar's Revenge
- Yellowfang's Secret
- Redtail's Debt
- Fire and Ice (First appearance)
- Forest of Secrets (Allegiance only)
- Tigerclaw's Fury (Allegiance only)
- Rising Storm (Allegiance only)
- A Dangerous Path
- The Darkest Hour
- Firestar's Quest (Allegiance only)
- Graystripe's Vow (Allegiance only)
- Mothwing's Secret
- Leafpool's Wish (Allegiance only)
- The Sight
- Dark River
- Outcast (Allegiance only)
- Long Shadows
- Hollyleaf's Story (Allegiance only)
- The Fourth Apprentice (Mentioned only) †
- Night Whispers
- Sign of the Moon
- Crowfeather's Trial (Mentioned only)
- The Apprentice's Quest
- The Clans Decide
- In Yellowfang's Secret, Barkpaw is said to have been training with Runningpaw, even though he is older than Runningpaw's mentor, Yellowfang.
- "Fireheart could see from the worried look in the leader's eyes that Barkface's warning had disturbed him more than his confident words suggested."
- ―Tallstar's reaction to Barkface's prophecy Fire and Ice, page 77
- "Sometimes I think StarClan wants every one of us to join them, and not even a kit left to keep the warrior code alive."
- ―Barkface about his Clan starving Moonrise, page 165
- Barkface: "Twolegs have done something bad to the rabbits in the territory. They all die. And if cats eat them, they die too. We have lost half our elders and nearly all of our apprentices."
- Mudfur: "And you couldn't help them?"
- Moonrise, pages 166-167
- "He said what? I can understand what he said was a shock, but you can't do anything about it. If that's what Tallstar wanted, it means that you're Clan leader in the sight of StarClan."
- ―Barkface to Onewhisker upon hearing Tallstar made him deputy Starlight, page 121
- Barkface: "Everything is changing. WindClan's greatest battle is coming. We cannot let the treachery of other Clans sap our strengths."
- Daisytail: "We must stand alone."
- Night Whispers, page 153
- (Mentioned only)
- (Allegiance only)
Notes and references
- Revealed in Night Whispers, page 154
- Revealed in Fire and Ice, allegiances
- Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 210
- Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 6
- Revealed in The Fourth Apprentice, page 6
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 366
- Revealed in Redtail's Debt, allegiances
- Revealed in The Sight, allegiances
- Revealed in The Fourth Apprentice, allegiances
- Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 8
- Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 20
- Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 176
- Revealed on Vicky's Facebook