This page contains the detailed history for Barkface.
Looking for a shorter overview? Find one here!
In The Prophecies Begin arc
- When Fireheart and Graystripe guide WindClan back home after they have been driven out by ShadowClan and their bloodthirsty leader, Brokenstar, they rest at Ravenpaw and Barley's Farm. During their stay, Barkface sees blood-red clouds, and he looks alarmed. When asked by the others if he is okay, Barkface declares that the day would bring an unnecessary death. His words seem to trouble his leader, Tallstar, even when Fireheart says it will be okay, and that the prophecy will probably show out in an unexpected way.
- Later, this message is proven to be true during an ambush between ThunderClan and RiverClan, taking place in the gorge. Whiteclaw, a RiverClan warrior, dies after falling off a steep cliff while battling with Graystripe, thus fulfilling the prophecy.
- Barkface is seen at the battle between WindClan, ThunderClan, RiverClan, and ShadowClan tending to heal the WindClan cats' wounds.
- He is by his leader, Tallstar, when Fireheart comes to ask WindClan not to fight ThunderClan. He moves away when Fireheart seeks an audience with Tallstar, and he looks nervous for his Clan's safety.
- Barkface presses cobwebs into Onewhisker's wounds after WindClan is ambushed by the newly formed TigerClan. He is in a tense mood, shown after he snaps at Onewhisker, telling him to stay still. Onewhisker is taken aback, but listens to the medicine cat.
- Later, he helps heal injured WindClan cats during the battle with BloodClan. A crowd of cats with injuries group around him, and he is seen guiding them into the safety of some undergrowth to help them, along with Cinderpelt, Fernpaw, Littlecloud and Mudfur.
In The New Prophecy arc
- Barkface is now getting older, but he still remains as WindClan's medicine cat. Leafpaw and the other medicine cats meet up with him at the source of one of the moorland streams. When Leafpaw wants to stop and rest, Barkface says that apprentices have no stamina, and it is shown that Leafpaw thinks he favors himself when he sounds grumpy.
- Later in the book at the Moonstone, he motions for Mothwing to come and sit down with the rest of the medicine cats. Then the cats get tense, and he murmurs that it is finally time to share tongues with StarClan after all they have troubled the cats.
- Like the other cats in the Clans, he is extremely hungry when he appears; he is described as a walking skeleton since there is major starvation in WindClan.
- Later, he suddenly snarls at Mothwing to stay away from a dead rabbit. Because of this outburst, he decides to explain, and he tells the other medicine cats at their half-moon gathering why WindClan is starving. Twolegs had been poisoning the rabbits, making them unsafe to eat, and many cats had died already from the sickness. When Leafpaw suggests they bury it, Barkface sadly says there is no point, and that no WindClan cat could touch it now. Afterwards, Leafpaw bans eating rabbits from ThunderClan because of the information Barkface had given her.
- Barkface appears at Fourtrees with Tallstar, Crowpaw, and other Clan cats. When there is no sign from StarClan, and there is a brief argument between Tallstar and Firestar, Barkface leads Tallstar back to the WindClan camp, ready to support him from tripping or falling if need be.
- During the journey to the Clans' new home, when he sees Tallstar's strength failing, Barkface suggests they should find a place to rest before continuing. Firestar says there's a copse up ahead, and he leads them there. He helps Leafpaw find an herb for Morningflower, as her paw is raw from walking, and he comments that the marigold leaves they were using looked a little like something WindClan used on the moors. He tells Morningflower specifically not to lick it, as it would never toughen.
- Later, when the Clans find the Tribe of Rushing Water, he suggests that the most tired and weak cats should take the nests, and the others could rest where they could find space. He also comments that the Clans are safe from the snow and the wind in the Tribe's cave.
- Barkface helps his frail leader, Tallstar, along with Onewhisker, a WindClan warrior. He crouches over him with a worried look on his face. Then he nudges him up and finds a good place for him to sleep.
- When Cinderpelt and Leafpaw go to visit him, Cinderpelt asks how Tallstar is doing. Barkface sighs, and says he is sleeping since he is very weak. He also says the journey was too much for him, and StarClan must be awaiting him. Leafpaw asks if there's anything he can do to help, but Barkface shakes his head and says that Tallstar had been a noble leader, but he can't go on forever. Later in this conversation, he says that StarClan will send them a sign about the Moonstone. He asks if any of the other medicine cats have coltsfoot for Tallstar. Mothwing says no, but juniper berries would work as well. Barkface is pleased at her suggestion.
- Later, Barkface calls Firestar, Brambleclaw, and Onewhisker to him, saying that Tallstar wants to see them. He leaves, missing the part when Tallstar declares Onewhisker his deputy and successor, as he is off collecting herbs for Tallstar. Tallstar dies right when he gets back, and Barkface sadly comments that Tallstar walks with StarClan now.
- Barkface gratefully accepts help from Leafpaw when he does not have enough herbs to care for his two sick elders, Darkfoot and Morningflower.
- Later, Leafpaw comes to tell him about the Moonpool, and he is seen the next night at the there. He offers to take Onewhisker to the Moonpool the next day, but Onewhisker says that Barkface shouldn't make the journey twice in two days. He had waited a long time to get his name and nine lives, and he could wait some more.
- Barkface meets with Cinderpelt, Leafpool, and Littlecloud on the way to the Moonpool. He tells them that Onestar is a strong leader. His tone of voice is neutral, making it clear to the other cats that he's not going to talk to them about any difficulties in WindClan.
- Barkface becomes excited when he tells the other medicine cats that he found huge, tall clumps of goldenrod on the WindClan moors. The cats are relieved, but he reminds them that they would only need it if the Clans were to start fighting again.
- When they reached the Moonpool, Barkface stands back to let Cinderpelt go down the pathway first.
- Once they have all finished dreaming, they discuss what they dreamed about, because it was all the same thing. Barkface grunts that StarClan didn't give away much tonight, and reminds them that they must keep a look out for signs from StarClan.
- Barkface tells Leafpool how sorry he is to hear about Cinderpelt's death. He murmurs that they must miss her greatly. Littlecloud, ShadowClan's medicine cat, hadn't heard the news, and is utterly shocked after he hears about it.
- At a later Gathering, when ShadowClan and RiverClan want to change the borders and a fight starts, StarClan covers the sky with a cloud. Barkface screeches that StarClan is angry. This causes more cats to say that the borders must stay where they are.
- On a journey to the Moonpool, Leafpool wants to ask Barkface if Crowfeather is doing okay, but then refrains herself, as it would be odd to single out one cat from the Clan.
In the Power of Three arc
- Barkface takes on an apprentice, Kestrelpaw. At a journey to the Moonpool, Kestrelpaw can't make it, as he is sick. Barkface comments that he is young and strong, so he will recover fast. He also comments that leaf-bare has been cruel to the plants, and he can't wait to start restocking.
- Later, Tallstar comes to Barkface in a dream, saying dogs will soon invade WindClan territory. Barkface dips his head respectfully and says that he will tell Onestar. Later, it was found that Jaypaw, ThunderClan's medicine cat apprentice, was secretly listening to the conversation between the two cats.
- Since WindClan has a break of greencough later, Barkface sends a messenger to ThunderClan to ask for catmint.
- Barkface mentions that Morningflower, a WindClan elder, is strong again after contracting greencough; but Jaypaw can tell Barkface doesn't believe Morningflower's strength will last much longer. When Jaypaw can hear ancestors of the Tribe speak to him, he is shocked and tells the other cats. Barkface comments that it is just the wind and it sounds like that because the sounds up there echo.
- While at the Moonpool, Barkface and Leafpool are extremely quiet and tense; this is mainly due to how ThunderClan and WindClan are in a fierce dispute over prey. Barkface hasn't brought Kestrelpaw either, claiming that he had trodden on a sharp thorn. However, Jaypaw can sense that he didn't bring him deliberately, so he wouldn't have to answer difficult questions. After Willowshine's full medicine cat journey, he asks StarClan to grant Willowshine's wish that they will continues to guide her for the rest of her life.
- When ShadowClan declares that they will not attend Gatherings anymore, they say that Sol has more power than StarClan. Leopardstar asks how Sol knew the eclipse would happen, and Sol calmly asks how they did not know. Barkface steps forward and says that StarClan didn't warn them.
- Barkface is regretful and awkward to Jaypaw when exchanging greetings, and voices his thought that Littlecloud would stay loyal to StarClan, but tells the other medicine cats that it would be best to go on to the Moonpool without him.
- At the next Moonpool meeting, Barkface is present at Jayfeather's naming ceremony, and grunts to Jayfeather that he did well as Jayfeather passes him, and wishes StarClan would send Jayfeather a good dream.
- Barkface is seen urgently talking with Onestar when the ThunderClan patrol arrives to question WindClan about Ashfur's death. Lionblaze thinks he was sharing grave news with Onestar.
- At the Moonpool meeting, Barkface decides not to wait for Mothwing and Willowshine because the medicine cats have a lot to get through that night, although they catch up. Mothwing explains that Petalkit had a thorn in her eye, and Barkface voices his sympathy for her. Barkface tells Jayfeather that he knows the Clan leaders came to ThunderClan to talk to Firestar about Sol, and points out that it must have been a very hard decision for Firestar to make. Barkface says that he doesn't think any of the medicine cats should voice their opinions of whether taking Sol into ThunderClan was the right or wrong thing to do. The other medicine cats agree with him.
In the Omen of the Stars arc
- At a Gathering, Onestar reports that Barkface had died prior to the Gathering. Kestrelflight succeeds him as WindClan's sole medicine cat.
- On a journey to the Moonpool, Jayfeather walks in on Barkface's and Kestrelflight's dream. In the dream, Barkface walks slowly and drags his head, as if he were carrying the whole of StarClan on his back. Then Daisytail comes and Barkface meows gruffly to explain it to Kestrelflight and that he knew Kestrelflight wouldn't believe him. Kestrelflight objects, and Daisytail starts her explanation. She says that she was the ancient cat who believed that kits should be trained after reaching six moons of age. She says that there is a time when they must stand and fight. Kestrelflight says that he has the medicine cat's path to take, not a warriors path. Barkface growls that everything is changing and that WindClan's greatest battle is coming. He also says to trust his ancestors instead of the other Clans. Daisytail warns him against friendships, and Barkface says that betrayal can come from anywhere. Standing alone is the only path to go.
- When Jayfeather walks into Kestrelflight's dream, Barkface is seen with an ancient WindClan warrior, Daisytail. The two StarClan warriors, like the cats who visited Flametail, Jayfeather, and Willowshine, tell Kestrelflight to break off bonds with the other medicine cats.
- He is later seen in StarClan, pointing out a clump of thyme and talking to Flametail.
In the A Vision of Shadows arc
- Barkface, along with many other StarClan cats, appear to their former Clanmates during the half-moon Gathering at the Moonpool. Upon seeing his former mentor, Kestrelflight bounds up to him and greets him. When Kestrelflight suggests that each Clan have a private meeting with their Clanmates, Barkface objects, saying that this was a prophecy that involves and concerns all four Clans.
In the Super Editions
- Barkkit is born to Brackenwing and Redclaw along with his brother, Shrewkit. Barkkit and his brother are taking their denmate, Tallkit, out to see the Hunting Stones, but Tallkit protests why they can't climb the Tallrock again. They pass by The Meeting Hollow and see three cats, Heatherstar, Hawkheart, and Reedfeather. The warriors ask what they are showing the younger kit today, and Shrewkit replies that they're taking him to the Hunting Stones. Heatherstar tells the kits to be careful of the icy stones.
- Barkkit asks Shrewkit if they can go slide in the hollow, but Shrewkit is persistent on going to the Hunting Stones. Shrewkit picks up a pawful of snow and throws it at Barkkit. Barkkit sneezes and purrs sarcastically that Shrewkit is scary. Shrewkit hurls himself at his brother and they both tumble in the cold, white grass. After they finish play fighting, Shrewkit charges away, mewing he's going to the Hunting Stones, with Barkkit racing after him, wondering about sliding in the hollow. Shrewkit says there isn't enough snow for real sliding.
- Barkkit taunts him, saying that he's just scared, but Shrewkit denies it. As they are running, the two kits are slowed down as Tallkit runs into some of the moor runners returning from a hunt. As Tallkit looks around camp while his Clanmates are talking, Barkkit tells Tallkit to hurry up to join him and Shrewkit, who are both at the Hunting Stones already. When Tallkit reaches them, Shrewkit declares himself leader of the Hunting Stones, while Barkkit proclaims himself the deputy. Tallkit struggles to climb up onto the stones, and Shrewkit tauts him that he should be underground like a worm. Barkkit reaches a paw down to help his denmate, telling him not to worry and try again.
- Later, Sandgorse calls over to Tallkit, telling him that he needs to learn to dig. Shrewkit taunts that he's going worming, but Barkkit steps in and tells him again that Shrewkit is just teasing. While Tallkit is trying to move rocks, he overhears Barkkit and Shrewkit playing, which distracts him from his practice. Heatherstar calls a Clan meeting, Tallkit joins Barkkit to watch Hareflight and Mistmouse's kits apprentice ceremony.
- Barkkit and Tallkit are playing when Shrewkit begins to tease Tallkit about tunneling. He asks him if he wants to join their game, but Shrewkit replies that he's too old for kit games. Barkkit tells him to stop acting like an apprentice, as he is only three moons old. As Tallkit and Shrewkit begin arguing, Barkkit nudges inbetween, wondering why they're arguing, and states that they're WindClan and can hunt and fight, along with tunneling. When Tallkit steps on something sharp, Barkkit checks his paw and informs him that it's a thorn, then pulls it out by himself without needing to see Hawkheart. Tallkit thanks Barkkit, and asks how he knew what to do. Barkkit responds that it was obvious, then Shrewkit teases him, saying that it won't help him to fight or hunt. Barkkit responds that there is more in life than hunting and fighting. Shrewkit asks if he wants to be a tunneler, and Barkkit replies that this wasn't what he said. Shrewkit doesn't take notice, and teases him of wanting to dig. Tallkit asks him if he wants to be a tunneler, and Barkkit explains that he wants to be Hawkheart's apprentice.
- Tallkit is surprised by this confession and thought that he'd rather train as a tunneler than be a medicine cat. When Tallkit says that he couldn't imagine Hawkheart with an apprentice, Barkkit becomes worried that he'll refuse to train him. Tallkit replies that no one's been brave enough to volunteer and that he'll be impressed by Barkkit's courage. Barkkit replies that Hawkheart is okay, but he just doesn't like being asked rabbit-brained questions. When Tallkit points out how he would be able to learn anything, Barkkit responds that he'll watch what Hawkheart does and only ask questions when he really doesn't understand. Tallkit sadly says that they'll never train together, and Barkkit reminds him that he'll be training as a tunneler anyway.
- When Tallkit moans that he'll be stuck with Shrewkit, Barkkit urges for him to ignore his teasing, because then he would get bored and back off, but Tallkit is unconvinced. He invites Barkkit to see if Lilywhisker needs help hunting fleas. Barkkit meows that's he'll catch up, saying that he wants to ask Heatherstar about becoming Hawkheart's apprentice now, then heads off to her den.
- When Plumclaw is introducing Tallkit to prey and talking about the joys of being a tunneler, Barkkit runs out of the Meeting Hollow, excitedly saying that Heatherstar allowed him to become Hawkheart's apprentice. Plumclaw and Tallkit congratulate him, but Tallkit is jealous that Barkkit would be able to do what he enjoys, whilst he would be underground digging tunnels.
- Barkkit frowns at Tallkit's reaction and wonders what's wrong. Tallkit lifts his chin and says that there is nothing borthering him, and he's happy for his friend. Barkkit notices that Tallkit is eating prey and points it out - Tallkit replies that it tastes good. Barkkit tells him he likes shrew the best, then invites Tallkit to play Rabbit. Tallkit agrees and pushes the rest of his mouse to Plumclaw for her to finish, and asks Barkkit whether he should be the rabbit this time. He says yes, and Tallkit meows he won't be hiding under any gorse bushes this time because they're too prickly. Barkkit reassures him that if he steps on another thorn, he could always pull it out.
- Barkkit is now the apprentice with the new name Barkpaw. At the beginning of Tallkit's apprentice ceremony, he hurries out of the medicine den and takes his place beside Hawkheart, who gives him a reproachful look. He apologizes to his mentor, saying that he was busy sorting the comfrey leaves. Once Tallpaw is made a moor runner apprentice, Barkpaw races to his side and congratulates him. Hawkheart tells Tallpaw that he may think that he's been given an easier path, but it is a path that leads away from his kin, so he must be careful not to lose his way. Tallpaw shakes his head, saying that he promises he won't, and Barkpaw backs him up.
- After Tallpaw returns from his first look around WindClan territory, Barkpaw calls to him from outside the medicine den, asking him what he saw. Tallpaw winces at the sharp, tangy scent of herbs on his friend's pelt. Tallpaw details everything he saw and mentions that he saw the gorge, and Barkpaw, whilst rubbing green sap from his nose, says that Ryepaw told him that he had almost fallen into it. Tallpaw asks Barkpaw if he wants to share a mouse, and the medicine cat apprentice mews that he'll have to check with Hawkheart first. Tallpaw goes to fetch one from the prey heap, but his paws sting and he almost trips. Barkpaw darts in front of him, asking if he's okay. Tallpaw replies that his paws are sore from walking, and lifts a forepaw and sniffs the faint scent of blood on them. Barkpaw tells him that they're just a bit grazed, like his paws were when Hawkheart first took him out herb-gathering, and that they'll toughen up with time.
- When Tallpaw comes back from battle training, Barkpaw calls to him from beside the Hunting Stones to share a rabbit with him. Tallpaw bounds over to join him, and Barkpaw shoves the rabbit towards Tallpaw to eat, and the young apprentice thanks him. Barkpaw asks how training went. Tallpaw wishes he could complain to Barkpaw about what a pain Shrewpaw had been, but remembers that they're littermates, and instead says training was great and he learned a lot. Barkpaw tells him about how he had treated a tick on Whiteberry's ear, going into great detail and making Tallpaw feel ill. He tries to change the subject, asking Barkpaw how Hawkheart is.
- Barkpaw mews that he is a really good teacher, and it's sometimes hard keeping up, but he's learning so much. Shrewpaw comes up to them and flings a mouse onto the ground, then asks Barkpaw if he's cured anyone yet, whilst settling down beside him. Barkpaw replies that he won't know until tomorrow. Barkpaw glances uneasily from one to the other before blurting out that it must be fun training together. Tallpaw and Shrewpaw meet gazes, and Shrewpaw shrugs, saying that it's okay, and Tallpaw agrees, thinking that he shouldn't make Barkpaw worried that they weren't getting along.
- WindClan is about to go to the Gathering, and Barkpaw hurries from the medicine den, telling Tallpaw that Hawkheart said he could come.Tallpaw lifts his tail in greeting as his friend reaches him, asking if Shrewpaw is coming too. Barkpaw seems surprised that Shrewpaw didn't tell him. Later, as WindClan is leaving for the Gathering, Palebird slides out of the gorse and wishes Tallpaw good luck. Shrewpaw mimics this, and Barkpaw growls at him, telling him to leave Tallpaw alone as it's his first Gathering.
- Trotting after his mentor, Barkpaw tells him that he gave Whiteberry the heather blossom they gathered. Hawkheart's gaze narrows, asking him how much he gave. Barkpaw replies that he gave him half a pawful, soaked in water as he'd shown him. Hawkheart nods, telling him he's done well. Shrewpaw stops beside Doespring, saying that he feels sorry for Barkpaw as he has to listen to elders complaining all day. Doespring responds that he has plenty of practice, growing up in a nest with Shrewpaw. He scowls at her and trots ahead to catch up with Barkpaw.
- When the visitors arrive at WindClan's camp, Tallpaw says he didn't think they would come, and Barkpaw is surprised that his friend knew them. Tallpaw explains all he knows is that they come to WindClan every newleaf. As they watch the visitors mingle with their Clanmates, Barkpaw mutters he hopes they haven't brought whitecough with them.
- After ShadowClan's attack on the camp, Brackenwing dies to a fatal wound. Tallpaw blames himself and Shrewpaw attacks him. After Hareflight pulls Shrewpaw away, Barkpaw touches his nose to his brother's fur and crouches beside him, not responding to Tallpaw's apology. Barkpaw helps Hawkheart treat the wounded. He is sent to fetch herbs for Tallpaw's wounds and his friend tries to catch his eye, but Barkpaw only nods, leaving Tallpaw wondering if the medicine cat apprentice will ever speak to him again.
- Sandgorse dies after a tunnel collapses and Tallpaw is left battered and shocked. Barkpaw gathers a poultice and thyme for him and asks his mentor if Tallpaw is okay. He cleans the mud from Tallpaw's pelt and tells him he's sorry about Sandgorse, and Tallpaw mews that he's sorry about Brackenwing. He later treats his wounds once again, and Tallpaw notices how distant and tired he is, he knows that Barkpaw is still grieving for Brackenwing and wonders if he still blames him for her death.
- Tallpaw decides he wants to follow Sandgorse's pawsteps and become a tunneler. Barkpaw tries telling him he doesn't need to do this and he was doing so well as a moor runner, but Tallpaw is firm with his decision and doesn't think Barkpaw is listening or even trying to understand.
- After Barkpaw assists in delivering Palebird and Woollytail's litter, he goes out with Talltail and they watch the sunrise from the Outlook Rock. Barkpaw comments that no cat will ever see the land beyond the mountains, and when Talltail wonders why he wouldn't want to see it, Barkpaw says he couldn't wander off when the Clan needs him. Talltail says he wishes the Clan needed him and meows he feels like he needs to find Sparrow, the cat who Sandgorse died saving in the collapsing tunnels, and get revenge. Barkpaw meows that his death was an accident, then goes on to say each cat has their own destiny to follow. Talltail wonders what if it led beyond the Clan, and Barkpaw sounds shocked when he asks if he wants to be a rogue. Talltail meows that he doesn't, and says the warrior code must reach beyond the borders. Barkpaw mews he's only feeling unsettled by the kits and once he's gotten to know them, he will feel better and there's room for all of them in the Clan.
- Barkpaw receives his full name, Barkface. He tells Talltail that he needs to talk to him and leads him out of camp. He says he found a tuft of black and white fur, like Talltail's, on the moor while collecting herbs, and when he picked it up, the wind carried it away and then it vanished. He believes it was a sign from StarClan, telling him that they agree that Talltail should leave. Talltail wonders if Barkface thinks he should go, and the medicne cat says he doesn't have to, but if he thinks his destiny lies beyond the Clan's borders, he believes StarClan wants him to follow it. Talltail thanks him and Barkface tells him to do want he feels is right. Talltail eventually decides he should leave and Barkface walks with him to the edge of the moor and they share their good-byes, with his friend saying he could always come back after he found Sparrow.
- When Talltail returns to WindClan, Barkface purrs and happily greets him. He is relieved when Talltail tells him he didn't kill Sparrow. He treats Hopkit's paw after cutting it on a sharp stone. The cut becomes very infected and spreads to his blood, and with the herbs being wilted from leafbare, Barkface tells Talltail he could die. Talltail tells him how a Twoleg had saved him while he was away from the Clan and suggests bringing Hopkit to one, but Barkface is heavily against it, but knows Talltail only wants to help. The medicine cat comes up with an idea to go to RiverClan and ask for sweet-sedge, which grows on their territory throughout leafbare. He leaves with Talltail, and after their struggle across the river they are found by a RiverClan patrol and they taken to the camp. With Hailstar's permission, Brambleberry gives them the sweet-sedge and the WindClan cats are escorted back to their territory. Shrewclaw later dies in a battle with ShadowClan, and Barkface helps to treat the injuries of his Clanmates.
- After Heatherstar's death, Barkface accompanies Talltail to the Moonstone to receive his nine lives and leader name
- Barkpaw is seen at the half moon Gathering with his mentor Hawkheart. He meets Runningpaw of ShadowClan and they are both happy to train together. He is also introduced to the other medicine cats.
- Kestrelflight briefly mentions that when he went to the Moonpool, he didn't see Nightcloud in StarClan, but he saw Barkface, who confirmed that Nightcloud was not within StarClan.
In the Novellas
- During a siege of WindClan's camp, Barkface protectively stands in front of his medicine den to prevent the ThunderClan cats from raiding it.
- Barkface is present at Mothwing's ceremony and shares dreams with StarClan. Moons later, Mothwing bids farewell to Barkface and Littlecloud as they head for their own territories. When Willowpaw explains her dream to Mothwing, she says that Barkface and Littlecloud weren't there either.
In the Short stories and plays
- Along with Jayfeather, Mothwing, and Littlecloud, he measures how long each line of stones is to determine the result.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.