|"Battle is not always the answer, but it is a part of our heritage, the legacy passed to us by our warrior ancestors, as well as the path to our future. Some questions can only lead to conflict; all challenges deserve a brave, carefully planned response. As long as we fight with honor, courage and respect for our enemies, the legacy of battle deserves to survive. We will continue to pass on our skills to the new apprentices, then watch as they train the next generation. Heroes will be celebrated, the losing side condemned to dust in our memories. This is what it means to be a warrior: to be proud of our legacy, of the battles that we have fought and that our ancestors fought on our behalf."|
|— Onestar about the battles the Clans fight in Battles of the Clans, page 159|
Battles of the Clans is the fourth book in the Field Guides.
- For William and Oliver, two splendid boys
An inside look at each Clan's fighting secrets:
- ShadowClan's night ambush technique
- ThunderClan's surprise Lightning Strike tactic
- WindClan's secret underground tunneling
- RiverClan's water maneuvers
- SkyClan's fearsome "skydrop" move
Plus never-before-told stories behind the most significant battles in Clan history!
Detailed plot description
- Though it has no real plot, Battles of the Clans contains a lot of information about the significant battles, battle tactics, and different attack plans that are not revealed in the books. Never before seen character perspective tell the stories of the different significant battles and share the tactics that each of the respective Clans use. The reader is toured around the different battlefields in both the old and new territories, and there are short stories in which a character will explain how to use a different battle skill while some editions have an exclusive adventure game inside. It is also said that Reedwhisker is the new deputy of RiverClan, Rowanclaw is the new deputy of ShadowClan and Mistystar is the new leader of RiverClan.
- The book goes in-depth on what the five Clans are especially good at. ThunderClan is good at fighting in dense undergrowth and having their famous technique, The Lightning Strike, whereas ShadowClan has a special technique called the Night Ambush. Similarly, RiverClan is good at water combat with the Rushpaw Splash, and WindClan has a special gift of speed and agility, explaning that Graywing the Wise had come up with several of their moves. SkyClan excels in above ground combat, and often use the Sky-drop in battle.
- The reader is also given a tour of the battlegrounds, both from the forest, the lake and the moor. After that, the reader is taken into other character's perspectives, such as Mousefur or Cedarheart, and other elderly cats from each Clan.
- The rogue Nightwhisper in Nightwhisper Speaks: A Rogue's Story shares the same name of the third book in the Omen of the Stars series, Night Whispers.
- Although it was released before it, Battles of the Clans takes place after or during Night Whispers, as Rowanclaw is ShadowClan's deputy.
- In the section Whitewing Speaks: My First Battle, Whitewing states that Rainwhisker died in the badger attack, while in The Sight it says a tree branch fell on him, killing him. However, Sootfur, his brother, was killed in the badger attack.
- Tigerstar says in the story The Forest Territories that Oakheart died by Redtail killing him. However, in Forest of Secrets it is stated by Mistyfoot that Oakheart died accidentally; falling rocks killed him.
- Tigerheart is a warrior teaching Shrewpaw, Olivepaw, Scorchpaw, Redpaw, and Owlclaw, despite being younger than them.
- Battles of the Clans(EN), HarperCollins (hardcover), 1 June 2010
- Battles of the Clans(EN), HarperCollins (e-book), 1 June 2010
- 猫武士手册之4族群的战争 (ZH-CN), China Children's Publishing (paperback), 1 October 2010
- Битвы племен (RU), OLMA Media Group (unknown binding), 2014
Notes and references
- Revealed on the dedication page
- Revealed on the back flap
- Revealed at Barnes and Noble.com
- Revealed in Battles of the Clans, page 107
- Revealed in Battles of the Clans, page 23
- Revealed in Battles of the Clans, page 130
- Revealed in The Sight, page 7
- Revealed in Battles of the Clans, page 93
- Revealed in Forest of Secrets, page 57
- Revealed in Battles of the Clans, page 29
- Revealed in Eclipse, allegiances
- Information retrieved from harpercollins.com
- Information retrieved from harpercollins.com
- Information retrieved from here
- Revealed on OLMA Media Group website
|Battles of the Clans chapters|
|Introduction:The Fire in Our Blood • Techniques and Strategies • ThunderClan: Nimble in the Forest • ShadowClan: Silent in the Night • RiverClan: Strong in Water • WindClan: Proud in Battle • SkyClan: Agile in Air • Tour of the Battlefields • Famous Battles • In the Midst of Battle • The Aftermath • Conclusion: Onestar's Farewell|