|"We can't trust them! Let WindClan set one paw over our border, and they'll be taking our prey as well as our water."|
|— Blackclaw to Leopardstar at a Gathering in Midnight, page 47|
Blackclaw was a warrior of RiverClan under Hailstar's, Crookedstar's, and Leopardstar's leaderships in the forest and lake territories. Blackkit was born to Shimmerpelt and Piketooth along with his sister, Skykit. He became an adopted brother to Leopardkit, and he eventually became an apprentice as Blackpaw with the RiverClan leader, Hailstar, as his mentor. He earned his warrior name of Blackclaw, proving to be a head-strong and aggressive warrior. He fathered Mistystar's kits; Reedwhisker, Perchkit, Pikepaw and Primrosepaw. Before retiring to the elders' den, Blackclaw mentored Heavystep, Voletooth, and Beechfur. He soon died of thirst and starvation during a drought, and he ascended to StarClan. He then fought in the battle against the Dark Forest.
In The Prophecies Begin arc
- Blackclaw is a young RiverClan warrior. At a Gathering, Wetfoot introduces him to Fireheart, and Blackclaw scornfully tells Fireheart who Leopardfur is when he asks. Later, when Fireheart and Graystripe are looking for WindClan, they see Blackclaw and some other RiverClan warriors hunting rabbits in WindClan territory, though Fireheart remarks that they aren't very good at it. Fireheart and Graystripe hide from the RiverClan cats in a badger set. When Blackclaw's hunting patrol is considering going into the badger set in search of a rabbit, Blackclaw tells them not to, saying that the scent of the rabbit they are chasing led away from the set, and the two ThunderClan cats go undetected. Blackclaw fights with Dustpelt during the battle when ThunderClan goes to help WindClan against an attack by ShadowClan and RiverClan.
- "I don't believe a word of it! You can't trust a ThunderClan cat."
- ―Blackclaw after Fireheart and Graystripe rescued his and Mistyfoot's kits Forest of Secrets, page 130
- When the ThunderClan warriors are brought to confront Crookedstar, Blackclaw claims he doesn't believe them, and argues against Fireheart and Graystripe. He is eventually reprimanded by Crookedstar. When Silverstream observes that the ThunderClan warriors' story makes sense, Blackclaw turns his back with a snort of disgust and walks away. When ThunderClan is attacked by rogues led by Tigerclaw, Blackclaw is among the RiverClan warriors that help drive them away. Later, after Silverstream's kits are born, Blackclaw, Leopardfur, Mistyfoot, and Stonefur return to ThunderClan, and demand that they are given to RiverClan, arguing that kits belong in their mother's Clan. When they win the argument fairly easily, he and Leopardfur seem suspicious of their easy victory.
- Blackclaw participates in the raid between ThunderClan and RiverClan at Sunningrocks, fighting with ThunderClan's deputy, Fireheart. Fireheart seems to be having difficulty until Cloudpaw comes to his aid, clinging to Blackclaw's back and pulling him off of Fireheart. It is also noted at the end of the battle that Blackclaw is at the head of the patrol returning to RiverClan territory.
- Blackclaw fights off the BloodClan cats along with the rest of the newly formed temporary Clan, LionClan.
In The New Prophecy arc
- Blackclaw: "We can't trust them! Let WindClan set one paw over our border, and they'll be taking our prey as well as our water."
- Feathertail: "That's Blackclaw. He's loyal to the Clan, but..."
- Midnight, page 47
- Blackclaw congratulates Hawkfrost after he explores the island and pronounces it a good camp for RiverClan, and the two seem good friends. It is mentioned that he and Hawkfrost drove out a badger that was in RiverClan territory. Blackclaw, along with many others, joins the rebellion against Onewhisker.
- Blackclaw: "I don't get it. Surely no cat would be mousebrained enough to drink that."
- Mistyfoot: "Mousebrain yourself. Can't you see cats must have picked it up on their pads? You tread in it accidentally, you lick yourself clean, and there you are."
- Twilight, page 163
- "The dream seems clear enough to me. Nothing will be right in RiverClan unless we get rid of these two."
- ―Blackclaw arguing to send Stormfur and Brook away Sunset, page 224
In the Power of Three arc
- His apprentice, Beechpaw, is appointed a new warrior and receives his name, Beechfur.
- "It was Blackclaw's idea to push stones into the stream."
- ―Willowpaw explaining her Clanmate's plan to secure the camp Dark River, page 193
In the Omen of the Stars arc
- "That's for Leopardstar to say, not you!"
- ―Blackclaw protesting to Mistyfoot at a Gathering The Fourth Apprentice, page 102
- Mistystar tells Firestar that Blackclaw, Voletooth and Dawnflower all died from hunger and thirst as a result of the drought.
In the Super Editions
- "Blackpaw, Skypaw, Loudpaw and Reedpaw fidgeted behind him, eyes shining, their apprentice names still fresh on the tongues of their Clanmates. Hailstar's decision to wait until Leopardkit had reached six moons before he made any new apprentices had been welcomed by the Clan. The young cats had been born so close together that they'd formed a strong bond."
- ―Narrator at Blackpaw's apprentice ceremony Crookedstar's Promise, page 337
- Several moons later, Blackkit is apprenticed to Hailstar, RiverClan's leader. He is obviously eager for the ceremonies to be over, shown by his constant fidgeting. When the ceremonies are finished, he play-fights with his father, Piketooth. Blackpaw then says he wants to join Crookedjaw, his apprentice, Sedgepaw, along with Frogpaw and a couple of other apprentices and warriors.
- When Hailstar announces RiverClan will take back Sunningrocks from ThunderClan, Hailstar states that he only wants his strongest warriors to come, and Blackpaw says he has sharp teeth. He is obviously disappointed, as this would have been his first battle. Though the ceremony isn't shown, Blackpaw is made a warrior, and his name has been changed to Blackclaw. Blackclaw participates in the battle against the rats in the barn. He dives into the brown bodies of the rats and hooking them with his claws and throwing them away, into the shadows of the barn.
In the Novellas
- After Mothwing and Hawkfrost's warrior ceremonies, Blackclaw hushes them for whispering in the warriors' den. While returning from a hunting patrol, Blackclaw slips on a stone trying to avoid thick mud and he gets stuck. Heavystep rushes into camp for help, and Mothwing is reminded of Tadpole's death while Leopardstar pulls Blackclaw free. However, Blackclaw chokes on the mud he'd swallowed, and Mothwing is amazed by Mudfur and Cinderpelt's abilities to resuscitate him. Blackclaw recovers in the medicine den when Mothwing visits Mudfur; she explains to Mudfur that she wanted to help cats like Blackclaw as a medicine cat. Mudfur agrees to let Mothwing help, and later he praises her when she fetches juniper berries and coltsfoot for Blackclaw's sore throat.
- Blackclaw rushes out of the warriors' den when Mudfur announces that StarClan sent him a sign approving Mudfur's choice to train Mothwing. When Mudfur falls ill, Mothwing orders Blackclaw and his apprentice, Volepaw, to fetch Leopardstar. At the lake territories, Blackclaw calls for help as he supports Voletooth to the medicine cats' den after his former apprentice is stung by bees. Mothwing asks Blackclaw to come with her to fetch blackberry leaves for Voletooth's injuries. During the Great Battle, Mothwing spots Blackclaw, Heavystep, Voletooth, Dawnflower and Leopardstar as StarClan spirits fighting alongside the Clans.
- "That's because I am old. Blackclaw was only a few seasons older than me! Sometimes I feel as if I've overstayed my welcome here, as if I should be walking in StarClan with Stonefur now."
- ―Mistyfoot to Mothwing after Blackclaw's death Mistystar's Omen, page chapter 2
In the Tigerstar and Sasha arc
- Blackclaw is on the RiverClan patrol that confronts Sasha and her kits, Hawk and Moth, when they are crossing the river. When Sasha asks to join the Clan, Blackclaw disagrees and predicts that they will drain their resources. He later trains and hunts with Hawkpaw and Mothpaw.
In the Stand-Alone Graphic Novels
- "StarClan, what a bully Blackclaw is."
- ―Feathertail's thoughts A Shadow in RiverClan, page 60
- Blackclaw rushes into camp with news of rogues on their territory. He leads Leopardstar, Stormfur, and Feathertail to the river where Sasha and her two kits are waiting on the stepping stones. The patrol confronts them and Blackclaw accuses Sasha of taking advantage of RiverClan when she asks to join. However, Stormfur and Feathertail convince Leopardstar to allow them to join. He is later on a patrol with Leopardstar, Feathertail, and Hawkpaw when they confront Mudclaw and WindClan trespassing. When Hawkpaw instigates a fight and Leopardstar orders RiverClan to attack, Blackclaw is pleased and fights with Mudclaw. While Leopardstar chastises her apprentice for rushing into battle, Blackclaw compliments Hawkpaw's battle skills and gives him the moniker "little killer." Blackclaw is present when Leopardstar drafts up a patrol to track the fox which attacked their camp, and later goes for a swim with Stormfur and Feathertail.
- During a Gathering, Blackclaw smirks when Heavystep insults Onewhisker's attempts to speak. Mudclaw and Hawkfrost recruit warriors dissatisfied with Onewhisker and Firestar's close partnership, with Hawkfrost insinuating that Firestar plans on taking over the forest just like Tigerstar did, starting with WindClan. Blackclaw joins these meetings, and when Leafpaw discovers the Moonpool, Blackclaw agrees with the others that Onewhisker and Ashfoot must die in order for Mudclaw to secure leadership. During the battle, Blackclaw attacks Owlpaw when Firestar flings him away from the apprentice. Realizing they are outnumbered by the ThunderClan reinforcements, Blackclaw and the others flee.
In the Field Guides
- Blackclaw: "Going to see if he has wings instead of the courage of a warrior, are you? Good idea."
- Spiderfoot: "Are you really going to push me off?"
- Battles of the Clans, page Page 106
- Three ShadowClan cats are inside, and Blackclaw and Pouncetail confront Antpelt, pouncing on him and sending him running. The RiverClan cats quickly send ShadowClan retreating. The patrol then finds the ShadowClan warrior Spiderfoot hiding, too afraid to help his Clanmates. Pouncetail directs Spiderfoot to walk up a sloping plank of wood, and Blackclaw thinks he's going to push him off, and compliments him on the idea. When Pouncetail lets the warrior go, Blackclaw angrily tells him he missed a chance to show ShadowClan the strength of RiverClan cats, and Pouncetail replies that there would be no honor in that.
Please do not edit this gallery
- Reedwhisker: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Perchkit: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Pikepaw: Deceased, verified StarClan member
|Ottersplash ♀||Timberfur ♂||Piketooth ♂||Shimmerpelt ♀||See more|
|Loudbelly ♂||Sedgecreek ♀||Reedtail ♂||Skyheart ♀||Blackclaw ♂||Mistystar ♀|
|Unnamed kits||Reedwhisker ♂||Pikepaw ♂||Primrosepaw ♀||Perchkit ♂|
= Gender unknown
= Gender unknown
- Crookedstar's Promise
- Leopardstar's Honor
- Redtail's Debt (Allegiance only)
- Fire and Ice (First appearance)
- Forest of Secrets
- Rising Storm (Allegiance only)
- Tigerclaw's Fury (Allegiance only)
- A Dangerous Path
- The Darkest Hour
- Blackfoot's Reckoning (Allegiance only)
- A Shadow in RiverClan
- Return to the Clans
- Firestar's Quest (Allegiance only)
- Graystripe's Vow (Allegiance only)
- Mothwing's Secret
- Moonrise (Allegiance only)
- Dawn (Allegiance only)
- Winds of Change
- Leafpool's Wish (Allegiance only)
- The Sight (Allegiance only)
- Dark River
- Outcast (Allegiance only)
- Eclipse (Allegiance only)
- Long Shadows (Allegiance only)
- Sunrise (Allegiance only)
- Hollyleaf's Story (Allegiance only)
- The Fourth Apprentice
- Mistystar's Omen
- Fading Echoes † (Mentioned only)
- Battles of the Clans
- The Clans Decide
- Blackclaw has been mistakenly described as dark gray.
- Blackclaw has mistakenly been described as a WindClan cat, and he was mistakenly referred to as Blackstar.
- In Crookedstar's Promise, it is said that Leopardstar's generation, including Blackclaw, all decided to wait until Leopardkit reached her sixth moon before they were all apprenticed, but in Leopardstar's Honor, Leopardkit was apprenticed early at five moons old.
The following information is from sources considered non-canon or retconned.
- On Vicky's Facebook, Mistystar and Blackclaw remained mates until they died, despite their vocal disagreements. Blackclaw was also described with green eyes.
- In The Clans Decide during a unofficial Gathering called by Firestar, Blackclaw, Tornear and Nightcloud get into an argument over Blackclaw's claims that RiverClan will invade WindClan's territory. Blackclaw, who was provoked by Tornear, defends his Clan when Tornear says that RiverClan cannot protect their own territory. After this, Blackclaw and Tornear get into a scuffle, with each warrior throwing insults at the other, and their respective Clans. Firestar stops them, insisting he won't let Blackclaw and Tornear kill each other just because of the lack of a full moon. After saying this, with a suggestion from Jayfeather, RiverClan, with Blackclaw included, each hold a vote to decide what to do about the lack of prey.
- "Hide me! Don't tell them where I am!"
- ―Blackkit to Crookedjaw Crookedstar's Promise, page 256
- "Since when have ThunderClan cats risked their lives for us?"
- ―Blackclaw after Fireheart and Graystripe rescued Mistyfoot's kits Forest of Secrets, page 132
- "Little killer, you are!"
- ―Blackclaw praising Hawkpaw A Shadow in RiverClan, page 134
- "Blackclaw was nodding agreement, with a hostile glance at the blue-furred she-cat; did he think Hawkfrost should still be deputy? Leafpool wondered. Was Hawkfrost trying to gain followers who were loyal to him alone, and not to the Clan?"
- ―Leafpool's thoughts about Blackclaw Twilight, page 164
- (Indirect mention only)
- (Indirect mention only)
- (Allegiance only)
- (Allegiance only)
Notes and references
- Revealed in Mothwing's Secret, chapter 8
- Revealed in Fire and Ice, page 23
- Revealed in Leopardstar's Honor, page 471
- Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 210
- Revealed in Crookedstar's Promise, page 248
- Revealed in Fading Echoes, page 30
- Revealed in Crookedstar's Promise, page 337
- Revealed in Crookedstar's Promise, page 429
- Revealed in The Fourth Apprentice, allegiances
- Revealed in Crookedstar's Promise, page 340
- Revealed in Fire and Ice, allegiances
- Revealed in Dawn, allegiances
- Revealed in Twilight, allegiances
- Revealed in Forest of Secrets, page 51
- Revealed in Dark River, page 191
- Revealed in Dark River, allegiances
- Revealed in A Shadow in RiverClan, page 44
- Revealed in Forest of Secrets, page 303
- Revealed in Leopardstar's Honor, page 346
- Revealed in Crookedstar's Promise, page 316
- Revealed in Mothwing's Secret, chapter 2
- Revealed on Vicky's Facebook (screenshot)
- Revealed in Crookedstar's Promise, page 259
- Revealed in Starlight, page 7
- Revealed in Starlight, page 30
- Revealed in Leopardstar's Honor, page 31
- Revealed on Vicky's Facebook
- Revealed on Vicky's Facebook
- Revealed in The Clans Decide