This article contains major spoilers for the recently released, Blackfoot's Reckoning. Please proceed at your own discretion.
|"Oh, and Mistyfoot? Never trust the shadows. My warriors wear the night like second pelts. If you wrong ShadowClan, you will never be safe in the dark."|
|— Blackstar to Mistyfoot in Battles of the Clans, page 37|
Blackstar was a ShadowClan leader in the forest and lake territories. He was born to Blizzardwing and Hollyflower as Blackkit along with his littermates, Flintkit and Fernkit; however, his father's identity was kept a secret because Blizzardwing was already mates with Featherstorm. As an apprentice, Blackpaw learned the truth about his father, but never told his littermates. As a young warrior, Blackfoot mentored his half-sister, Dawncloud, and later became Brokenstar's deputy; however, he was exiled along with his treacherous leader, becoming a rogue until Tigerstar seized control of ShadowClan. Blackfoot returned to his status as deputy, and after Tigerstar's sudden death, took over leadership of ShadowClan. At his leadership ceremony, Blackfoot understood the horror he partook in, originally believing to be a loyal deputy. StarClan forgave him, and Blackfoot vowed to do better than his predecessors, earning his leader name of Blackstar. While Blackstar kept his word and led ShadowClan through moons of peace, he retained his Clan's history of fierceness, cunning, and stealth. He led his Clan through the Great Journey, but a rogue named Sol influenced the ShadowClan leader to abandon StarClan until StarClan themselves appeared to restore his faith. During the Great Storm, Blackstar lost his final life, passing his leadership onto Rowanclaw.
- 1 History
- 2 Character pixels
- 3 Official art
- 4 Killed victims
- 5 Ceremonies
- 6 Leader info
- 7 Personality and traits
- 8 Relationships
- 9 Kin
- 10 Appearances
- 11 Merchandise
- 12 Trivia
- 13 Quotes
- 14 External links
- 15 Notes and references
Looking for a longer overview? Find one here!
- "Then I'll see you at the next Gathering. And Blackfoot, you would do well to learn from the mistakes of your predecessors. I saw what you did to Stonefur at the Bonehill."
- ―Firestar warning Blackfoot The Darkest Hour, page 311
- When Tigerstar becomes leader of ShadowClan, Blackfoot becomes his deputy. After Darkstripe fails to kill Stonefur, the RiverClan deputy, Tigerstar orders Blackfoot to finish the job. Blackfoot reluctantly agrees to unite ShadowClan with the other Clans to fight BloodClan after Tigerstar's death, and after the battle, Blackfoot plans to travel to the Moonstone to receive his new name and nine lives.
- "Firestar, you're panicking over nothing. Twolegs are mad. Even the smallest kit knows that. True, they knocked down a few trees, but now they've gone away again. Whatever was going on, it's over."
- ―Blackstar to Firestar about the Twoleg interference Moonrise, page 45
- "They spoke to us. You were right, Littlecloud. We can't ignore the spirits of our warrior ancestors. Now when they're still watching over us [...] I can't believe I let myself listen to that mange-ridden trickster. He told me StarClan didn't care what happened to us! But they brought us here, made the trees fall so that we had to hear them. I'll make sure no ShadowClan cat is led astray by Sol again."
- ―Blackstar restoring his faith in StarClan Long Shadows, page 121
- "I'm still leader of this Clan. And you have betrayed us all [...] I killed one traitor, and now I'm ready to kill another."
- ―Blackstar to Redwillow The Last Hope, page chapter 24
This section summarizes Blackstar's significant Super Editions appearances. If you're looking for a full list, find one here!
- "Brokenstar, your choice honors me. I'll do my best to serve you and our Clan well."
- ―Blackfoot after being named Brokenstar's deputy Yellowfang's Secret, page 451
- "My Clan will not stay to hear our dead warriors scorned by the other Clan! You all owe them a debt, just as we do."
- ―Blackstar at a Gathering Bramblestar's Storm, page 55
- "Those ThunderClan cats fought more fiercely than I expected. Especially that so-called kittypet, Fireheart. He may have been born in Twolegplace, but he's sure learned how to fight like a warrior."
- ―Blackfoot to Tigerclaw Tigerclaw's Fury, page chapter 2
- "Can it go on like this? You say it's my choice to continue, but I feel like this is wrong. Each memory leaves me more shaken than the last. Am I really fit to lead ShadowClan?"
- ―Blackfoot after his seventh life during his leadership ceremony Blackfoot's Reckoning, page chapter 9
The pixel artwork is an interpretation based upon canon material.
The pixel artwork is an interpretation based upon canon material.
Please do not edit this gallery
This list shows the victims Blackstar has killed:
|Blackfoot's deputy ceremony|
|Blackstar's leader ceremony|
|Reference: Blackfoot's Reckoning, chapters 1-10|
Personality and traits
- As a young warrior, Blackfoot was a bully, critical, but popular among his Clanmates. Yellowfang described him as strong, but not a clever fighter, though he would battle fiercely and despite injury. As deputy under Brokenstar and Tigerstar, Blackfoot was obedient to his authority, even when obeying meant breaking the warrior code. However, he never admitted to regretting what he had done. Upon becoming a leader, Blackstar was hesitant to ally with the other Clans and was generally hostile and distrustful. He was prideful, rarely admitting or acknowledging troubles, such as when Twolegs began destroying the forest territories.
- Despite his cold exterior, Blackstar cared deeply for ShadowClan. When he was living as a rogue in exile, Blackfoot worried deeply for his Clanmates, who were starving and riddled with Carrionplace sickness.
- "I was loyal to Brokenstar because he was the leader of my Clan, just as every ShadowClan warrior should have been. I am still a ShadowClan cat, whatever happens."
- ―Blackfoot defending himself to Tigerclaw Tigerclaw's Fury, page chapter 3
- Blackfoot: "Did you think we would let you fight alone?"
- Tigerclaw: "No, my friend. I knew you would come."
- Tigerclaw's Fury, page chapter 6
- When Tigerclaw was exiled from ThunderClan, he gathered Brokenstar's followers, including Blackfoot, who became fiercely loyal to the former ThunderClan deputy.[source?] As leader of ShadowClan, Tigerstar reappointed Blackfoot to his position as ShadowClan's deputy, though he saw the white tom's sentiment towards his former ShadowClan Clanmates as weakness. Blackfoot proved his loyalty to Tigerstar by fighting with him against ThunderClan and executing RiverClan's half-Clan deputy, Stonefur, on his orders.
- "What’s this? Does the great Firestar think he can go where he likes in the forest?"
- ―Blackstar when Firestar visits the ShadowClan camp Moonrise, page 44
- "She died fighting. She died bravely. We ask no more than that of our warriors."
- ―Blackstar after Russetfur is killed Night Whispers, page chapter 6
- Blackstar: "You told a warrior from another Clan about our Clan’s problems?"
- Tawnypelt: "I told Squirrelflight. She’s a friend."
- Twilight, page 186
- Tawnypelt's status as a former ThunderClan cat made Blackstar wary of her loyalty. When she went missing to depart on the journey to find Midnight, Blackstar assumed that she had returned to her ThunderClan kin. However, he came to value the she-cat, as after Sol, who had convinced ShadowClan to abandon StarClan and the warrior code, left ShadowClan, Blackstar sought her return, as Tawnypelt had temporarily fled to ThunderClan with her kits.
- "Sol must be gone from Clan territory by the next Gathering. Or we will unite our three Clans to get rid of him ourselves."
- ―Blackstar when ThunderClan is revealed to be harboring Sol Sunrise, page chapter 18
|Featherstorm ♀||Blizzardwing ♂||Hollyflower ♀||See More|
|Mosspaw ♂||Volepaw ♂||Flintfang ♂||Blackstar ♂||Fernshade ♀||Wolfstep ♂|
|Dawncloud ♀||Finchflight ♂||Badgerfang ♂|
= Gender Unknown
- Yellowfang's Secret
- Leopardstar's Honor
- Into the Wild (First appearance)
- Fire and Ice
- Forest of Secrets
- Tigerclaw's Fury
- Rising Storm (Mentioned only)
- A Dangerous Path
- The Darkest Hour
- Blackfoot's Reckoning
- A Shadow in RiverClan
- Firestar's Quest
- Graystripe's Vow
- Mothwing's Secret
- Winds of Change
- Leafpool's Wish (Allegiance only)
- Warrior's Return
- The Sight
- Dark River
- Long Shadows
- Hollyleaf's Story (Mentioned only)
- The Fourth Apprentice
- Mistystar's Omen (Mentioned only)
- Fading Echoes
- Night Whispers
- Sign of the Moon
- The Forgotten Warrior
- The Last Hope
- Dovewing's Silence
- Crowfeather's Trial
- Bramblestar's Storm †
- The Apprentice's Quest
- Tigerheart's Shadow (Mentioned only)
- River of Fire
- The Raging Storm
- Secrets of the Clans (Retconned)
- Cats of the Clans
- Battles of the Clans
- The Ultimate Guide
- Beyond the Code: Brightspirit's Mercy
- The Clans Decide
Toys and Plush
Blackstar & Jayfeather - Mini Collector Figures
- Series 2
- Though radically different in many ways, these toms both served their Clans in moments of dire need. Although Blackstar did the bidding of ShadowClan's cruelest leaders, when he came to power, he restored ShadowClan’s honor and nobility. And when Jayfeather learned of the prophecy that promised a power greater than StarClan, he set off to save the Clans from darkness—with the help of a certain ancient stick.
- Also included in a three-pack bundle with the rest of Series 2: Cinderpelt, Brightheart, Ravenpaw, and Sandstorm.
- Approximate individual price is $12.99 USD, and the three-pack bundle is $38.97 USD.
- Did you know Blackstar has six toes on one paw? For more trivia about Blackstar, click here!
- Blackfoot: "Firestar. So we won the battle after all."
- Firestar: "Yes we did. What will you do now, Blackfoot?"
- The Darkest Hour, pages 311-312
- "Hope is easy, but it catches no prey. If you ask me, we've seen the last of them."
- ―Blackstar Midnight, page 264
- Blackstar: "What's this? Does the great Firestar think he can go where he likes in the forest?"
- Firestar: "I have come to talk to you about what the Twolegs are doing. We have to decide what we're going to do if it carries on."
- Moonrise, pages 44-45
- "We are still bound by our alliance during the Great Battle! This is a problem faced by all the Clans, and therefore we should deal with it together. There cannot be any inequity between us."
- ―Blackstar about the alliance during the Great Battle Dovewing's Silence, page Chapter 3
- Blackstar: "These cats are still with us, watching the Clanmates they died to save! We need to honor their memory!"
- Mistystar: "But Blackstar, life moves on, just like the seasons. We don’t list every piece of prey we’ve eaten in the last moon, or remember every fallen leaf."
- Bramblestar's Storm, pages 54-55
Notes and references
- Revealed in The Apprentice's Quest, page 5
- Revealed in Into the Wild, page 141
- Revealed in Fire and Ice, allegiances
- Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 161
- Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 210
- Revealed in Bramblestar's Storm, page 190
- Revealed in Blackfoot's Reckoning, chapter 2
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 304
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 365
- Revealed in A Dangerous Path, allegiances
- Revealed in Firestar's Quest, allegiances
- Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 233
- Revealed in Long Shadows, page 84
- Revealed in Leopardstar's Honor, page 534
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 466
- Revealed in A Dangerous Path, page 313
- Revealed in Tigerclaw's Fury, page 36
- Revealed in Moonrise, page 44
- Revealed in the Warriors App
- Revealed in Night Whispers, page 62
- Revealed on the cover of Blackfoot's Reckoning
- Revealed in Into the Wild, page 116
- Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 172
- Revealed in The Last Hope, pages 280-281
- Revealed in Blackfoot's Reckoning, chapter 3
- Revealed in Blackfoot's Reckoning, chapter 5
- Revealed in Blackfoot's Reckoning, chapter 6
- Revealed in Blackfoot's Reckoning, chapter 8
- Revealed in Blackfoot's Reckoning, chapter 9
- Revealed in Blackfoot's Reckoning, chapter 10
- Revealed in The Last Hope, page 273
- Revealed in Bramblestar's Storm, page 160
- Revealed in The Darkest Hour, chapter 14
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, chapter 36
- Revealed in Into the Wild, chapter 18
- Revealed in The Darkest Hour, chapter 28
- Revealed in The Darkest Hour, chapter 30
- Revealed in The Darkest Hour, chapter 26
- Revealed in Dawn, chapter 15
- Revealed in Moonrise, chapter 4
- Revealed in Tigerclaw's Fury, chapter 3
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, chapter 29
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, chapter 30
- Revealed in Into the Wild, chapter 24
- Revealed in Tigerclaw's Fury, chapter 5
- Revealed in Moonrise, page page 30
- Revealed in Tigerclaw's Fury, chapter 2
- Revealed in Long Shadows, chapter 6
- Revealed in River of Fire, page prologue
- Revealed in Twilight, chapter 12
- Revealed in Midnight, page 263
- Revealed in Long Shadows, chapter 10
- Revealed in Long Shadows, chapter 23
- Revealed in Long Shadows, chapter 9
- Revealed in Sunrise, chapter 18
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 308
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 406
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 455
- Revealed on the screenshot) (
- Revealed in Into the Wild, page 255
- Leopardstar proclaims TigerClan as no more and that she has offered refuge to ShadowClan cats due to BloodClan's threat.