This page contains the detailed history for Blackstar.
Looking for a shorter overview? Find one here!
In The Prophecies Begin arc
- Blackfoot is ShadowClan's deputy under the new leader, the son of Raggedstar, Brokenstar. He first appears at a Gathering when Graypaw points him out to Firepaw.
- Later, Blackfoot appears in the raid on ThunderClan in which he kills the ThunderClan elder, Rosetail, while trying to get into the nursery to take kits to recruit for ShadowClan, which is against the warrior code. However, before he can get to them, he is driven back by Yellowfang, ShadowClan's former medicine cat and a ThunderClan prisoner. Afterwards, Yellowfang says that he was always a bully with no brains, strong, but not a clever fighter, and that Firepaw was more of a challenge.
- When Yellowfang leads a ThunderClan raid on ShadowClan to rescue the kits that had been stolen by Clawface, Whitestorm is seen chasing Blackfoot away from the ShadowClan camp, along with Brokenstar and his band of rogues.
- It is mentioned that Blackfoot is one of the rogues that followed Brokenstar when he was exiled from ShadowClan after it was revealed he killed Raggedstar. When Brokenstar raids ThunderClan's camp, Blackfoot is seen in the battle, but flees after Brokenstar is blinded, captured, and renamed Brokentail.
- Blackfoot becomes one of Tigerclaw's rogue recruits when the ThunderClan deputy seeks help to kill his leader, Bluestar. While unnamed, he participates in an attack on the ThunderClan camp in which Tigerclaw attempts to kill Bluestar.
- Blackfoot does not formally appear, but it is known that he becomes one of Tigerclaw's followers after the ThunderClan deputy is exiled. When Tigerclaw is accepted into ShadowClan as Tigerstar, Blackfoot becomes his deputy.
- Blackfoot appears as ShadowClan's new deputy under Tigerstar, and is shown to be completely loyal to his new leader.
- When Sorrelkit follows Darkstripe out of camp, she sees him talking to Blackfoot on ThunderClan territory, sharing news of Tigerstar's plans.
- Afterwards, Blackfoot is in the RiverClan camp as part of the newly formed TigerClan. After Darkstripe fails to do so, Blackfoot, on Tigerstar's orders, kills Stonefur after the half-Clan RiverClan warrior refuses to kill Stormpaw and Featherpaw.
- After Tigerstar's death, Blackfoot reluctantly agrees to merge the ShadowClan half of TigerClan with the other three Clans to form LionClan in order to drive out BloodClan and their leader, Scourge. After BloodClan's defeat, Firestar asks Blackfoot what he plans to do next, and the ShadowClan deputy replies that he will go to the Moonstone to receive his new name and nine lives. Before Blackfoot leaves, Firestar reveals that he saw him kill Stonefur and warns him not to repeat the mistakes of the cats he served under. It is implied that Blackstar is ashamed of his past actions with Brokenstar and Tigerstar. Firestar thinks Blackstar will not shed any more blood needlessly, though he doesn't believe Blackstar will ever be his ally.
In The New Prophecy arc
- At the Gathering, Blackstar is the last to reach the Great Rock. He reports that ShadowClan's prey and water are plentiful despite the drought, but Leafpaw notes that he would say that even if there was no water at all. Blackstar opposes Mothwing, the kit of a rogue, becoming a medicine cat apprentice. He makes this well known to the other leaders, saying he didn't know if StarClan would accept her.
- At the next Gathering, Blackstar seems to enjoy the fact that the other Clans are having disagreements with each other. He reluctantly reports that Tawnypelt is gone when the other Clans report missing warriors, though he at first assumed she returned to ThunderClan. He believes hoping for their return is pointless, and that the Clans have seen the last of them. He then goes on to report further Twoleg activity around the Thunderpath.
- When Firestar comes to ShadowClan to talk about the Twolegs destroying the forest, Blackstar denies any trouble. Firestar asks how his Clan will survive leaf-bare, and Blackstar responds that ShadowClan can always eat food from the Carrionplace. Cinderpelt reminds him that the last time ShadowClan tried that, half the Clan died of sickness. Blackstar silences Littlecloud when his medicine cat tries to speak up, and glares at Cinderpelt when she rebukes him for not listening to him.
- Blackstar refuses to discuss any problems with Firestar until the Gathering, and the patrol leaves. Littlecloud later tells Cinderpelt that Blackstar has sent his warriors to Carrionplace to gather rats and crow-food.
- Tawnypelt convinces him to go to Fourtrees and meet with the other Clan leaders to wait for the sign of a dying warrior. Blackstar leaves when it is clear no sign is coming, and later tells Firestar they shouldn't wait any longer because no sign is coming. He announces that ShadowClan will be traveling to Twolegplace to live in BloodClan's former territory, and says that the Clans should survive on their own.
- Later, ThunderClan and WindClan come to rescue ShadowClan after the Twolegs begin demolishing their camp. Blackstar protects an apprentice, Smokepaw, from Twoleg monsters , then runs back to grab a ShadowClan kit.
- When ThunderClan brings ShadowClan to Sunningrocks for refuge, Blackstar shows his relief to Firestar, thanking him. The leader is prideful, but eventually lets Leafpool and Mothwing help Littlecloud tend to their injuries. He finally admits that the Twolegs are destroying the forest and ShadowClan would be better along with the other Clans. Still, he posts a guard due to his distrust of them, and refuses any help catching prey.
- After the Clans spend the night at Barley's farm, some cats, including Blackstar, wish to stay there. Upon reaching the mountains, the ShadowClan leader insists he does not want to stay long, but gives in upon seeing the poor condition of his Clanmates. When Brambleclaw suggests Tawnypelt lead ShadowClan on the journey, Blackstar protests, but eventually allows it.
- When they arrive at the Tribe of Rushing Water, Blackstar is reluctant to stay, but the other leaders and Littlecloud convince him to stay. He is constantly trying to get the Clans to leave, believing they must before more snow moves in.
- When the Clans reach the new territory, Blackstar agrees with Leopardstar that they should move somewhere less exposed, and he is the first to start acting competitively about territory when they near the lake. Speaking for the leaders from atop a tree stump, he tells the Clans that they have reached the right place, but that they will camp where they were for the night and hunt in the morning.
- During the meeting the next day, Blackstar silences a dispute between Mudclaw and Onewhisker over the leadership in WindClan after Tallstar's death, saying they should work it out in private. He then explains they must start working out boundaries for their new territories, and mentions that they will send one cat from each Clan on a patrol around the lake to explore. He is disgruntled that Squirrelflight is granted permission to go, due to her being an extra ThunderClan warrior, and is doubtful of choosing Tawnypelt, though he allows it. After the patrol leaves, he arranges the hunting patrols.
- When the exploring patrol returns, he calls all the Clans together. Brambleclaw jumps up beside him to share the news, and he pulls away with a faint hiss. Blackstar and Leopardstar exchange an amused glance when they see there is quarreling in WindClan about who is the rightful leader. Later, he begins a meeting and details to the Clans what ShadowClan's new boundaries are going to be.
- After the Clans have settled into the territories, he begins the Gathering at the place they had previously been, sitting on the tree stump. He confirms that the new boundaries have been set in place as discussed previously, and checks with Leopardstar and Firestar that the new borders are suitable. He agrees with Firestar that Leopardstar shouldn't claim their Gathering place as her territory, as they need to gather somewhere. After an attack by a pair of foxes at the site, Blackstar ends the Gathering quickly.
- ShadowClan warriors are revealed to have left their territory to support Mudclaw in his rebellion against Onewhisker. Two flee into ThunderClan territory, but fall into the camp and break their necks. Firestar hopes that Blackstar will not blame ThunderClan for their deaths, and the bodies are returned to ShadowClan. Blackstar insists to the patrol that he knew nothing about them supporting Mudclaw.
- At the Gathering, he is the second to join Firestar in the great oak tree. As the Gathering progresses, he eventually agrees that RiverClan should take the marshy ground they had previously used for Gatherings. He reports that prey is plentiful in his territory, and that they had found an old abandoned badger set.
- Later, a patrol of ThunderClan cats come to his camp offering help against two aggressive kittypets called Jacques and Susan. Blackstar initially refuses their help and questions Tawnypelt's loyalty for bringing the patrol there, but Cedarheart persuades him to allow their help. The ShadowClan leader stays behind to guard the camp, suspicious of ThunderClan's motives. On their return, he thanks them coolly and dismisses them.
- At the Gathering, he invites Firestar to speak first. Blackstar admits ThunderClan's role in dealing with the kittypets, but when Onestar angrily exclaims that ThunderClan is interfering too much with other Clans, Blackstar tersely states that ThunderClan helped them only once and that they would never be able to set paw on ShadowClan territory without an invitation. The leader soon draws the Gathering to a close.
- At a Gathering, Blackstar confidently justifies his attempt to change the border with ThunderClan by saying that Twolegs are having an adverse effect in his territory. He and Leopardstar, who has similar troubles, believe that the other Clans should give up territory for them. This is heavily protested and the issue goes unresolved, but Blackstar lets the other Clans know it isn't over.
- Later, during Brambleclaw's expedition around the territories, the ThunderClan warrior infers that Blackstar is just using the Twolegs as an excuse for more territory, as there is plenty of prey around and no serious threat.
In the Power of Three arc
- Blackstar tries to take ThunderClan territory, an idea that Firestar partially encouraged by giving ShadowClan a piece of poor hunting ground, but is beaten by ThunderClan.
- At a Gathering, he reports that Tawnypelt has had three kits: Flamekit, Dawnkit, and Tigerkit. He appears at the next Gathering, reporting that all is fine with ShadowClan.
- When Berrynose and Birchfall, two ThunderClan warriors, accidentally cross the ShadowClan border, Blackstar finds that a ShadowClan patrol is attacking the two warriors shortly after Firestar does. He admits to Firestar that he doesn't think the Clans should have settled beside the lake.
- Later, when Brambleclaw and Lionpaw come to take Tawnypelt with them to the mountains, Blackstar says that the decision is up to her, thinking she'll decline. It surprises him when Tawnypelt agrees to, and Brambleclaw reminds Blackstar that he said it was her decision. He lets her go, but reluctantly.
- In a dream with StarClan, Littlecloud learns that Blackstar is losing faith in StarClan and having second thoughts about living by the lake.
- When Hollypaw, a ThunderClan apprentice, asks for help in a battle against WindClan, Blackstar agrees to send help, but orders Russetfur to organize the patrol.
- Hollypaw, Jaypaw, Lionpaw and Sol, who had predicted the disappearance of the sun, are taken to the ShadowClan camp for trespassing on their territory. Blackstar confides in Sol that he has been doubting if it was the right decision to leave the forest. Sol persuades Blackstar to abandon StarClan, convincing him to declare it at the next Gathering.
- Blackstar speaks with Sol at a meeting. The rogue tells the ShadowClan leader that StarClan has no power over the living, to which Blackstar agrees. Later, he attends a Gathering with Sol informing the other Clans that ShadowClan will no longer attend Gatherings.
- It is revealed by Flamepaw that Blackstar had reverted back to his original name, Blackfoot, has abandoned the tradition of mentoring apprentices, and has forbidden Littlecloud to speak with StarClan.
- Dawnpaw, Flamepaw, and Tigerpaw, along with Hollyleaf, Jaypaw, and Lionblaze, set up a false sign from StarClan to trick Blackfoot into following his warrior ancestors again. At first, he is skeptical, calling it superstitious nonsense because he only hears a disembodied voice, but when Raggedstar and Runningnose actually appear, he comes to his senses and reclaims the name Blackstar, and with it, leadership of his Clan.
- Blackstar is seen coming to ThunderClan, along with Rowanclaw, Onestar, Leopardstar, Tornear, and Reedwhisker to demand Firestar drive Sol from the territories, since ThunderClan was sheltering him while he was being questioned for Ashfur's murder.
- Blackstar claims that he wants to hear what Hollyleaf has to say after she exclaims at a Gathering that she has an important statement to make, keen to hear what Firestar would rather keep secret.
In the Omen of the Stars arc
- Firestar convinces him and the other Clan leaders to send two warriors each on a patrol upstream to find the source of the drought. Blackstar sends Toadfoot and Tigerheart to represent ShadowClan, and when the patrol returns, Blackstar invites the travelling cats into the ShadowClan camp to rest and have some prey before they return to their own Clans, relieved to have water once more. Commenting on his strangely up-beat personality, Lionblaze asks Dovepaw where the real Blackstar is.
- During a Gathering, he shows sympathy towards Mistystar after she announces Leopardstar's death. He then gives ThunderClan a long lecture about when to accuse cats crossing borders. He later expresses grief over his deputy, Russetfur, after she is killed by Lionblaze in battle when ThunderClan reclaims the poor territory they gave as a gift to ShadowClan, a battle partially provoked by Ivypaw, Hawkfrost, and Tigerstar.
- Blackstar is first seen bending over Russetfur's dead body. When Brambleclaw declares that the clearing is ThunderClan's, Blackstar hisses that it was never worth of the blood that has been spilled. He is nudged by Scorchfur to his paws and guided into the trees.
- When is time to bury Russetfur, Blackstar praises her. He and Rowanclaw disappear into the leader's den, and soon emerges to orders the cats to gather for a Clan meeting. When ShadowClan practices battle moves, Blackstar growls that ThunderClan cats are pigeon-brained. Afterwards, he orders Rowanclaw, his new deputy, to organize patrols. However, Blackstar has him withhold refreshing the border markings, says that Firestar chose a dark path when he asked for the land back. He invites Flametail and Littlecloud to his den, and asks them if StarClan has sent any signs. Having received none, Blackstar orders them to visit the Moonpool.
- Flametail returns from the Moonpool, informing Blackstar that ShadowClan must break their allegiances and look after themselves. Blackstar is puzzled, saying that they have no allegiances. Littlecloud argues with Flametail about this, and Blackstar says that he trusts Littlecloud's judgment, but thanks Flametail for visiting the Moonpool. Rowanclaw later mentions that Blackstar is no fool, and shouldn't be underestimated.
- Blackstar continues to ask about signs, but hearing of none, questions why he is having such bad dreams. He questions if ShadowClan will be soon destroyed, and by who. Blackstar turns away and disappears into his own thoughts.
- When Ivypaw is kidnapped by ShadowClan, Blackstar visits her. He seems to be amused, and expects that she wants to go home. Blackstar tells her that ThunderClan has something they need.
- During the Gathering, Blackstar announces Rowanclaw as his new deputy and mentions that they still mourn the loss of Russetfur. When Firestar confronts him over taking Ivypaw hostage, Blackstar hisses that Ivypaw was on their land, but the ginger tom retorts that they could've just chased her off and asks what kind of warrior holds a cat too young to defend herself. Firestar tells Blackstar that he's lucky ThunderClan didn't strike back harder, and Blackstar retorts that whatever they plan to do, ShadowClan is ready.
- At the Gathering, Blackstar reports that they got through the small bout of whitecough, though ThunderClan knows they really had greencough.
- At a Gathering, he follows Onestar and Mistystar as they jump onto the branches of the Great Oak, reporting that ShadowClan warriors had fought a battle with Jacques and Susan, and states that they won't be having anymore trouble from them for a while. Blackstar also announces three new warriors: Pinenose, Ferretclaw, and Starlingwing.
- Blackstar is mentioned by Lionblaze when he brings up Sol and what he did to ShadowClan. Firestar states that ThunderClan has no quarrel with Sol, but ShadowClan might.
- At another Gathering, Blackstar speaks after Firestar. He is noted to be puzzled by the hostility between WindClan and ThunderClan. He says that, like RiverClan, ShadowClan has had troubles with Twolegs by the lake. Before he can sit down, he is interrupted by Dawnpelt, who asks him if she may speak. He blinks in surprise then dips his head, allowing her to speak. Dawnpelt accuses Jayfeather of murdering Flametail by deliberately drowning him under the frozen lake. Blackstar, along with Mistystar and Onestar, is noted to look uncomfortable. When Firestar asks if any cat takes this accusation seriously, Blackstar says nothing.
- Blackstar is seen at the Gathering and is pleased to hear that Jayfeather is barred from his medicine cat duties. He is later with the other the leaders at a meeting to discuss the upcoming battle against the Dark Forest. Blackstar is not keen to unite the Clans, but agrees to on the condition that any cat on ShadowClan territory, even a Clan leader, has to listen to ShadowClan cats.
- During the Great Battle, Stoatpaw, a ShadowClan apprentice, arrives at the ThunderClan camp to tell Firestar that the ShadowClan camp is overrun with Dark Forest warriors and that Blackstar is losing a life. Firestar sends Smokefoot's patrol, Graystripe, and Lionblaze to help. When they arrive, Blackstar is still recovering with Rowanclaw at his side. However, he is well enough to defend a ShadowClan cat who is being attacked by a Dark Forest warrior. During the battle he kills Redwillow for betraying ShadowClan to fight alongside the Dark Forest. When the ShadowClan camp is under control again, he sends the ThunderClan cats home and thanks them for their help.
In the A Vision of Shadows arc
- When the medicine cats have their half-moon Gathering at the Moonpool, Blackstar is one of the StarClan cats who greet them as they arrive. He looks on in approval as Littlecloud reunites with Flametail, sharing tongues and purring happily.
- Blackstar first appears after Yellowfang criticizes Rowanclaw's leadership, commenting that Brokenstar was bad enough for ShadowClan. He admits he thought Rowanclaw would have been a great leader and trusted him as a deputy. However, Blackstar then asks what his successor could have possibly done when his Clan betrayed him to follow Darktail. Dawnpelt agrees with her former leader, as she herself chose to abandon Rowanclaw, which she admits was a mistake.
- When Shadowstar appears, Needletail asks Blackstar who she is, but Blackstar doesn't know. The cat introduces herself as the first ShadowClan leader, and Blackstar looks on in astonishment. Afterwards, Dawnpelt laments that it's too late for ShadowClan to be saved, and Blackstar adds that they've delivered prophecies, but the Clans ignore them. Shadowstar says that if ShadowClan isn't saved, then things worse than a storm will come upon the Clans, causing the StarClan cats to fall silent.
- Firestar gathers some of the former Clan leaders together on the island, Blackstar among them. He shivers a few tail-lengths away from the others, impatiently flicking his tail, saying that they don’t need to stand in the dark to know what’s waiting for the Clans. Firestar turns on him, saying they know what’s coming, but he thinks they’ve been unaware to how ill-prepared the Clans are to face it. When Rowanclaw appears, Blackstar points out that he’s not a leader anymore, his mew hard with reproach.
- Later, Firestar says the Clans have faced hardships, but they don’t realize how fear can weave between them and greed can drive them apart. Blackstar snorts, wondering if Firestar thinks the Clans have not learned anything from Darktail.
In the Super Editions
- Blackpaw is a new apprentice, plunging into undergrowth with Nightpaw, Clawpaw, and his siblings, Flintpaw, and Fernpaw, their mentors flustered at their apprentices' energy. Blackpaw reappears from the undergrowth, padding over to Yellowfang with a limp. Yellowfang finds a tiny thorn in his paw, and takes it out, telling Blackpaw to give it a good lick. Blackpaw rushes back to the other apprentices, thanking Yellowfang as he leaves.
- Blackpaw is seen again when Flintpaw and Nightpaw wrestle in the clearing. Blackpaw, Fernpaw, and Clawpaw join in and scatter moss everywhere. Then his mother, Hollyflower, picks up Flintpaw by the scruff and heaves him out of the fight. The apprentices are disappointed, but hurry to gather the scattered bedding after Hollyflower threatens them. Later in the training area, all five apprentices practice battle moves.
- Blackpaw soon becomes a warrior by the name of Blackfoot, and is one of the cats chosen to go to the Gathering. When Brokenpaw rushes off to check that the ThunderClan scent markers are on their side of the border, both Raggedpelt and Blackfoot praise Brokenpaw.
- When Brokenpaw becomes a warrior named Brokentail, Blackfoot congratulates him. He is one of the cats chosen to attack the Carrionplace rats, and his patrol is assigned to surround them. Once Raggedstar and Foxheart lead the rats toward them, Blackfoot's patrol leaps out and circles the rats.
- When Yellowfang and Nightpelt return to camp, Blackfoot is leaving on a patrol with Stumpytail, Tangleburr, Rowanberry, Deerfoot, and Brokentail. Yellowfang calls out to the patrol, asking if they are going to hunt, and Stumpytail replies that they are battle-training. Yellowfang is surprised, since the Clan needed fresh-kill.
- When the patrol returns, Yellowfang is shocked to see how battered they look. She suggests they rest, but Brokentail says they only need to clean themselves up.
- Blackfoot is chosen by Brokentail to go on a hunting patrol. When Brokentail comes rushing into camp, yowling that Raggedstar is dead, Blackfoot, Scorchwind, and Boulder are horrified to find he's right.
- When Brokenstar returns to the ShadowClan camp after receiving his new name, he summons a Clan meeting where he chooses Blackfoot as his deputy. Brokenstar then promises Volekit and Dawnkit to Blackfoot and Clawface when they are big enough to be apprenticed. When Featherstorm hisses that they are too young, Blackfoot tells her that she should be proud that Mosspaw is being trained by the Clan leader.
- When Brokenstar calls another meeting, Blackfoot sits on the base of the rock with his ears pricked. The leader announces that he wants his Clan to become stronger, to which Blackfoot suggests they battle-train every day. After Mosspaw is killed, Brokenstar apprentices the other kits, giving Dawnpaw to Blackfoot. At a Gathering, Blackfoot is at the foot of the great rock. He is later seen leading out a patrol.
- When Blackfoot's night patrol returns to camp, Yellowfang and Brightflower hurry to them, asking if Marigoldkit and Mintkit, who are missing, had followed them. Blackfoot says that he hasn't seen the kits, and when Yellowfang, Brokenstar, and Brightflower return with the bodies of Marigoldkit and Mintkit, Blackfoot suggests sending out a patrol to track the fox Yellowfang believed to have killed them. However, Brokenstar claims he found no trace of a fox, and exiles Yellowfang, telling the Clan she had murdered them. Blackfoot regretfully tells Yellowfang he would lead her out of their territory, but Yellowfang spits that she will go herself.
- It is revealed that Blackfoot has earned his nine lives and his name, Blackstar, and appointed Russetfur as his deputy.
- At a Gathering, Blackstar notes that there are more Twolegs and monsters than usual in ShadowClan's territory. He also announces a new warrior, Tawnypelt.
- At the Gathering, Blackstar lists the names of the cats who died in the Great Battle. Afterwards, Onestar announces Nightcloud's death, and the ShadowClan leader offers his sympathies. Blackstar gives his report after Mistystar, and the Gathering quickly ends.
- A moon later at the next meeting, Blackstar lists the names of the fallen. Bramblestar reports that ThunderClan chased a dog off their territory, and the white leader complains that they chased it onto ShadowClan land. When WindClan's troubles with the stoats become known, Blackstar and Mistystar agree to help if it's needed. The meeting then ends, and he gathers his cats to return home.
- At the next Gathering, Blackstar lists the names of the fallen, and then reports that ShadowClan's prey is running well. He adds that they'd found some fox scent, but it's faded by now.
- Bramblestar orders his warriors to visit the ShadowClan camp to ask about cats crossing the border. Mousewhisker thinks that will give Blackstar a chance to create an excuse, but Cherryfall argues that Bramblestar will be letting Blackstar know they know what’s going on. Bramblestar is surprised to see how frail Blackstar is, but remembers his age and how he has led his Clan through the most terrible battle in history. Blackstar asks what they want, and Bramblestar reports ShadowClan scents on his territory, though Blackstar feigns astonishment. He says he must be dreaming as no ShadowClan warrior has crossed the border, telling Bramblestar to strengthen the border marks as they can’t be blamed crossing a few paw steps when they don’t know exactly where the border is. The patrol is shocked, and Bramblestar resists swiping Blackstar’s smirk off his face. Bramblestar tries confronting him again, but Ratscar defends his leader. Afterwards, Blackstar promises to keep a careful watch of the border and tells Tawnypelt to escort them away.
- On the way to a Gathering, Bramblestar wonders if Blackstar has become too frail to keep his Clan together. Blackstar stays on the ground for the Gathering, and recites the names of the fallen, including cats from WindClan and ThunderClan. When he reaches RiverClan’s fallen, Mistystar interrupts. Shocked and horrified, Blackstar protests they need to honor their memory as they are still watching the Clanmates they gave their life for. Mistystar tries to gently tell Blackstar that life keeps going like the seasons. She says that they don’t remember every piece of prey in the last moon or every leaf that has fallen. Blackstar snaps their Clanmates are neither prey nor leaves. Mistystar tries to explain, but the Clans erupt into a clamor with ShadowClan supporting their leader and the rest opposing.
- After they settle, Bramblestar announces his agreement with Mistystar, saying each Clan should honor the fallen in their own way. Blackstar’s neck bristles as he snarls they are quick to forget the alliance they had when it came to fighting the Dark Forest. Bramblestar points out that they have broken that alliance and are four again, but Blackstar snaps that ShadowClan will not stay to hear their fallen scorned by others, claiming that they all owe the fallen a debt. Rowanclaw supports his leader and reassures him that they haven’t been disrespected and things are just changing. Blackstar looks bewildered as Rowanclaw tells him that each Clan faces challenges and nothing stays the same forever. He points out how well ShadowClan is and says they owe that to Blackstar. After a pause, Blackstar takes his place on the Great Oak to properly begin the Gathering. When it’s his turn, he reports that ShadowClan is thriving and Snowbird has given birth to three she-kits. Afterwards, Bramblestar mentions to Tawnypelt that Rowanclaw will be leader before long. Tawnypelt asks if he thinks Blackstar is too old to lead, insisting her leader is fine. Later, after a meeting with a ShadowClan patrol, Graystripe guesses that Blackstar has lost his final life in the storm.
- When Rowanclaw announces his leader's death, Bramblestar apologizes and admits to himself that he is glad Rowanclaw is Blackstar's successor, and later mentions that Blackstar was generous during his early moons as leader, and wants to return that favor by helping ShadowClan.
- Blackstar is mentioned by Rowanclaw to Tigerheart after the ShadowClan deputy asks how his father knew he wanted to be leader. Rowanstar replies that he didn't know until he was appointed as Russetfur's successor, and only then did he realize the differences between a leader and a warrior.
In the Novellas
- Although not mentioned by name, Tigerclaw thinks of the ShadowClan outlaws, and how they disppointed him in the battle where he attempted to kill Bluestar. He thinks that they have grown soft by moons surviving alone, too easily cowed by cats fighting to defend their home. Tigerclaw decides he needs more time with them to remind them of the training they had with Brokenstar. Tigerclaw later picks up their fear scent, and tracks it until he finds the group of former-ShadowClan cats.
- Blackfoot protests that they were going to come back for Tigerclaw once their wounds healed. He is described as a former ShadowClan warrior, loyal to his leader, Brokenstar, before Brokenstar was taken prisoner by ThunderClan and his followers driven from the Clans. Tigerclaw can tell that his cats are terrified that he has risen from the dead. He says they have failed him, and had let themselves lose like a bunch of queens and elders in an unguarded camp. Tigerclaw knows that they will do anything he wants and pushes down the urge to rip their ears for running away, noting that they are his only allies now, and he can shape them exactly as he wants.
- Blackfoot hesitantly points out that Tigerclaw’s belly is bleeding, and sniffs the blood on his side. Tigerclaw snaps that it’s nothing and will heal in a couple of days. Blackfoot steps back and admits the ThunderClan cats fought more fiercely than they expected, especially Fireheart. He comments that he may have been born in the Twolegplace, but he knows how to fight like a warrior. Tigerclaw spits back at him about how Fireheart is a kittypet and has no right to be with the Clans.
- The next day, Blackfoot says the sun hasn’t risen, so there will be no ShadowClan patrols around. Tigerclaw leads them into ShadowClan territory and sees Blackfoot's fur stand on end. When they reach an a line of immovable bushes that ShadowClan use as a defence, Blackfoot walks along the foot of the branches which dips close to the ground and mutters that there is a way through, mentioning how he got through when he was an apprentice. At the other side, Blackfoot comments that a fallen tree looks as if it could make a good den, and bounds behind it for one moment then reappears on top, yowling it’s perfect, and invites the others to come and see. Blackfoot asks if they shall hunt and get started on a fresh-kill pile. Tigerclaw snarls it isn’t a mini-Clan game, and they will attack ThunderClan again. Blackfoot glances at Tigerclaw’s wounded belly, as if concerned the wound would never heal enough to let him go to battle.
- Later, Tigerclaw asks where Blackfoot and Tangleburr are as they should have been back from hunting ages ago. Stumpytail and Clawface reveal they are checking for ShadowClan at the border, in hope of connecting with their former Clanmates and seeing if they are alright. Tigerclaw finds them and confronts them. Blackfoot stammers that they were on their way back, and Tigerclaw asks who they have been talking to. Blackfoot steps forward, and reveals that there have been so few border patrols that they had become concerned, and Dawncloud and Rowanberry told them there is a terrible sickness in the Clan, affecting almost every warrior. He is concerned about the lack of prey his Clan is getting, and when criticized by Tigerclaw, Blackfoot defends that he was loyal to Brokenstar because he was leader of his Clan, and that he is still a ShadowClan warrior, whatever happens.
- Tigerclaw says they are forbidden to cross the ShadowClan border, but they wait for a patrol to get more information. A border patrol of Fernshade, Deerfoot and Boulder arrives, and Boulder instantly recognizes them. Boulder asks about the rumors of their attack on ThunderClan and Blackfoot comments that’s not why they are here, and he asks about ShadowClan. His sister, Fernshade tells them about ShadowClan's sickness, but Deerfoot is hesitant about telling the former ShadowClan warriors anythinb, reminding the cats of their past. Tigerclaw orders his cats to leave, but is worried that Tangleburr and Blackfoot won't follow.
- Later, when Tigerclaw returns with news that they will hunt for ShadowClan, Blackfoot is delighted. He and the other cats take the prey to thd ShadowClan camp, and all are alarmed at the state of the Clan. Blackfoot agrees that they are not afraid to deliver help, and takes the prey to the fresh-kill pile. They discover that Cinderfur, the deputy, is dead and Nightstar is too weak to appoint another one. They promise to bring back more fresh-kill to help. The following day, Tigerclaw sends the cats away to hunt for ShadowClan, on the understanding that they must have a session of battle training after sunset.
- Tigerclaw brings Mowgli back from the Twolegplace, and Blackfoot is cautious of him, asking if he can be trusted. He explains that he wonders how much they can rely on a cat that turned tail at the first sign of battle, and questions if he will leave again. Later, when they join a ShadowClan hunting patrol, Blackfoot teases Darkflower after she questions if they are hunting or talking. After spending some time in camp, Blackfoot is seen talking to Fernshade, and Tigerclaw tells him it’s time they left. Tigerclaw lets his companions call their farewells over their shoulders.
- After Tigerclaw kills Runningwind, which leads to the death of Whitethroat, Tigerclaw tries to take on the ThunderClan patrol by himself, but Blackfoot arrives with nearly every cat that wasn’t sick, asking Tigerclaw if he thinks they would let him fight alone. Tigerclaw says no, calling him a friend. ShadowClan fights with ThunderClan, and RiverClan arrives, Blackfoot is seen wrestling with some of them. They retreat, and only stop deep within the territory to lick their wounds. Tigerclaw catches Blackfoot’s gaze, and notes he seems to understand what Tigerclaw means that what happened would be reported to ShadowClan as a moment of tragedy for Whitethroat and a cause of revenge against ThunderClan.
- After Tigerclaw says they need to go to ShadowClan camp, Blackfoot bounds up to him, asking if something happened or if he had a dream from StarClan. Tigerclaw tells him that they just need to be there, and leads them to camp to find that Nightstar has died. Runningnose steps in as a leader and Tigerclaw assists him, acting as a deputy. He orders Blackfoot along with Snag and Mowgli to each take a warrior and an apprentice and teach basic attack and defense moves. Later, Tigerclaw hears the sounds of cats striking, pouncing and retreating as Blackfoot and the others test the Clan.
- After Runningnose announces Tigerclaw as the new leader, Blackfoot whispers that Runningnose wants to speak to him. Afterwards, Tigerclaw pads to the center of the clearing and catches Blackfoot’s eye. He notes that he would make him deputy before the moon rose above the treetops instead of Jaggedtooth.
- Blackstar does not formally appear in Hollyleaf's Story, but is listed in the allegiances. He is briefly mentioned by Hollyleaf as she recalls Sol, and how he made Blackstar give up on his warrior ancestors.
- He is mentioned when Mistyfoot remembers how he murdered her brother, Stonefur, in cold blood when they were imprisoned for being half-Clan. Leopardstar believes she never deserved Mistyfoot's forgiveness for doing nothing to stop it, but Mistyfoot asserts that it was Tigerstar and Blackfoot who were responsible for Stonefur's death, not Leopardstar. Blackstar is also briefly mentioned by Reedwhisker and Mistystar, after Mistyfoot obtains her nine lives and leader name. Reedwhisker offers to spread the news of her leadership, and thus also telling ShadowClan of Leopardstar's passing. After Reedwhisker returns, the new deputy says that Blackstar is sorry to hear of Leopardstar's passing, and cannot wait for the next Gathering, where he will be able to greet RiverClan's new leader. Mistystar thinks that she will never contemplate forming an alliance with Blackstar and his Clan, as she cannot forgive him for murdering her brother.
- Blackstar does not formally appear in Leafpool's Wish, but is listed in the allegiances.
- It is mentioned that Brokenstar was the leader of ShadowClan before Nightstar and Blackstar.
- Three days after the Great Battle, Blackstar arrives at ThunderClan camp, being held upright by Rowanclaw. Surprisingly, no ThunderClan cat is hostile towards them as their alliance has changed their views. Bramblestar greets the leader and shows him a place to rest his wobbly legs. Cinderheart comments he is so old he barely looks alive. Squirrelflight asks if everything is fine in ShadowClan, and Blackstar says it is in a faint rasping voice. Blackstar is wheezing, so Rowanclaw explains they want to talk of the former Dark Forest trainees. Bramblestar says he assumed that each Clan will decide what to do alone but Blackstar protests. He struggles up and lashes his tail, saying they are still bound by their allegiance during the Great Battle. It’s a problem they face together, so they should sort it together. Bramblestar agrees to meet the other leaders on the island tomorrow. Blackstar promises to send word to RiverClan and WindClan, and asks for permission to cross the territory. Bramblestar agrees, and thanks Blackstar for coming and advising him to get rest before the day. Blackstar just grunts before being guided out by his deputy.
- At the island, Blackstar is first as he waits with Littlecloud, Tigerheart and Ratscar. They wait for the rest of the Clans to come before starting the meeting. Mistystar and Onestar defend their warriors, but Blackstar protests that they broke the warrior code. He looks at his warriors with sorrowful eyes as he says they betrayed their Clan, leader and themselves so they cannot go unpunished. Ivypool starts to explain why they joined the Dark Forest, and Blackstar bristle his fur but Ivypool continues, saying they used personal reasons to recruit them. Blackstar mentions she spoke well, but states he saw his Clanmates attack each other, and asks how that is being loyal or being a better warrior. Ivypool responds that they were given different ways to serve their Clan. After Onestar says he trusts Breezepelt, Blackstar shakes his head and states he can’t agree, and they all feel differently about their cats. He seems confused about their alliance already disappearing. Mistystar insists they should decide for their own Clanmates, but Blackstar protests that they must decide on one action together, it wouldn’t be fair otherwise. Mothwing suggests that the former trainees swear a new oath of loyalty. Blackstar declares he will do this as soon as he returns to camp. The meeting ends and all Clans do this.
- A Gathering takes place, and Blackstar’s white pelt is so pale he already looks as if part of StarClan already. He wheezes so softly that cats lean forward to hear. He announces that ShadowClan is stronger than ever as they have rebuilt their dens and secured the borders. ShadowClan's fresh-kill pile is full and they do not fear the coming leaf-bare, although his wide eyes suggest otherwise. He continues to explain that they were troubled by a fox but brave ShadowClan warriors drove it out. He sits down abruptly, clearly exhausted from giving a speech by his heaving flanks. After the Gathering, Blackstar lowers himself gently to the ground instead of jumping.
In the Field Guides
- Blackstar is listed in the "Significant Leaders" section. It is said that he is arrogant and defensive, and since Tigerstar brought him back to ShadowClan from exile, he feels a hint of gratitude and loyalty towards him. Here it is revealed that he was Tallpoppy's mentor.
- When Tawnypelt gives the reader a tour of ShadowClan's camp around the lake, she shows the branch that Blackstar makes his announcements from and also comments on how fast Blackstar can climb the tree when he is angry.
- Rock tells Mosskit, Adderkit, and Blossomkit that nobody envies Blackstar for having to follow in Tigerstar's paw steps. He is said to have been both Tigerstar and Nightstar's deputy, when really he was Tigerstar and Brokenstar's. Rock says that Blackstar has made his Clanmates proud, confident, brave in battle, and respected once more by the other Clans. He says that Blackstar has a long way to go before the other Clans forget ShadowClan's battle-hungry past, but he should not be punished for having pride in his Clan.
- Blackfoot is leading a ShadowClan patrol with Stumpytail and Russetfur that invades ThunderClan territory. A single ThunderClan patrol attacks them, but he is confused by the Lightning Strike from different sides and thinks that all of ThunderClan has them surrounded. He eventually orders his patrol to retreat, and tells Tigerclaw that they'll be back.
- Later, he appears as Blackstar in the new territory. RiverClan has been fishing off the halfbridge, which attracts Twolegs and frightens off ShadowClan prey. Blackstar did not want to be the first to start a battle in the Clans' new home, so he talks to Leopardstar peacefully, and she agrees to stop the fishing. However, patrols continue to fish, but just at night, and Blackstar arranges an ambush patrol consisting of Tawnypelt, Rowanclaw, Oakfur and Cedarheart. They attack one of the patrols, and Blackstar confronts Mistyfoot about the problem. He threatens her Clan with outright battle in their camp if they don't stop fishing here and scaring the prey, and tells her she should be ashamed of herself for going back on Leopardstar's promise. Mistyfoot agrees, but after a vague insult directed towards him, Blackstar orders her that ShadowClan be repaid by being given half of RiverClan's fresh-kill till the half-moon to make up for lost prey. He agrees amusedly to Mistyfoot's pleas that the other Clans not hear about the episode, and on leaving, warns her never to trust the shadows.
- He later appears in the battle with the foxes. He and his Clan ambush the foxes, herding them towards Fourtrees. With the foxes' cubs as hostages, Blackstar orders them to leave the forest. After they do so, he congratulates Graystripe on the idea and tells him Firestar would be proud of him.
- Blackstar makes the introduction for ShadowClan, describing their reasons for hostility in the old forest, their pride in themselves, and admitting that they have had exceptions to their rule of only Clanborn cats in their Clan--Tigerstar and multiple rogues, as well as their inviting of Scourge and BloodClan into the forest, which was not a good idea.
- His own page is featured. Blackstar had helped his Clan become stronger when they were left in ruins after Tigerstar's rule and the battle with BloodClan. He kept faith in ShadowClan's virtues and understood the role they played in the near-death of the forest, but did not apologize, and instead went on calmly and without challenge, even allowing Tawnypelt to go on the journey to Midnight. However, at the new territories by the lake, life was not much easier as Blackstar had hoped, with prey scarce and kittypets and Twolegs pestering his Clan. With Littlecloud's lack of reassurance from their warrior ancestors, he questioned the point of the Clans being there. Sol later took control of ShadowClan, proposing a life in which it was every cat for himself; his prediction of the eclipse was the main reason Blackstar trusted Sol. ShadowClan stopped taking part in Gatherings, Littlecloud was no longer allowed to go to the Moonpool, the leader reverted to his warrior name, Blackfoot, and apprentices were no longer trained. Lionblaze, Hollyleaf, Jaypaw, Flamepaw, Dawnpaw and Tigerpaw designed a fake sign from StarClan to convince Blackstar to believe in StarClan again, helped by Raggedstar and Runningnose. He fought against the Dark Forest and, as the oldest Clan leader, he would always defend the warrior code.
- Blackstar is said on Russetfur's page to have appointed her as his deputy. He is also mentioned on Tawnypelt's page. Tawnypelt gained her warrior name and earned Blackstar's trust. On Flametail's profile, he is first mentioned to have began following the preferences of Sol. Flamepaw was angered by this, wanting to train as a medicine cat. He had took in the plan to trick Blackstar back into belief in StarClan and later convinced the ShadowClan leader to turn on the other Clans upon a warning from StarClan. He is also mentioned during Tigerclaw's leadership ceremony, where it is said that his support of Tigerclaw had helped him become Nightstar's successor.
- He is said on Mistystar’s and Stonefur’s page to have captured Stonefur with Darkstripe and killed him. They both have left their own Clans to join TigerClan, all under Tigerstar’s orders. This is also mentioned on Feathertail's page. He is last referred to on Sol's page. The rogue convinced Blackstar to let his cats take care of themselves instead of each other. Blackstar refused to attend Gatherings and did not let his medicine cats go to the Moonpool. A fake StarClan sign by Jaypaw lead him to regain faith in StarClan.
In the Short stories and plays
- Blackstar appears at the Gathering, openly revealing that his Clan was starving in the harsh leaf-bare. When Russetfur says he shouldn't make his Clan look weak, he replies that it was obvious that the Clans were all starving. When Firestar doesn't want to admit that ThunderClan has plenty of prey, Blackstar asks if he was too scared to admit that his Clan was going hungry.
- Blackstar starts the vote over whether the Clans should unite with Firestar as the leader, and votes for the Clans to stay separate.
On the Warriors app
- Blackstar's kit and apprentice names are revealed to be Blackkit and Blackpaw. It is also revealed that he comes from a line of polydactyl cats, and one of his back paws has six toes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.