|"She never lost her courage or her sense of humor. She was a very special cat, and we'll both miss her. Not because we looked after her, but because she was our friend."|
|— Alderheart after Briarlight's death in River of Fire, pages 212-213|
Briarlight was a ThunderClan warrior under Firestar's and Bramblestar's leaderships in the lake territories, although she was unable to perform her warrior duties after a falling tree broke her spine, paralyzing her hindquarters. However, Briarlight remained determined, assisting in the medicine cats' den and performing exercises to keep her chest clear. She was born as Briarkit to Millie and Graystripe alongside her siblings, Blossomkit and Bumblekit, and as Briarpaw, she was apprenticed to Thornclaw. Though she could not become a regular warrior due to her injuries, she earned her warrior name, Briarlight. She continued to be optimistic throughout her life and had a close friendship with Jayfeather and her siblings, despite Millie constantly fussing over her. When a belly sickness broke out in ThunderClan, Briarlight succumbed to it, much to the medicine cats' dismay. She passed away with her family and loved ones around her and ascended to StarClan, where her body was healed, allowing her to run free like she always dreamed of.
Looking for a longer overview? Find one here!
- "She’s going to die, isn’t she?... And I’ll never see her again, ‘cause I don’t know the way to StarClan."
- ―Briarkit to Leafpool about Millie Long Shadows, page 159
- "We’ll find a way for you to be useful, I promise. You are different. Because you’re more determined and braver than any cat I know."
- ―Cinderheart encouraging Briarlight Sign of the Moon, page 171
- "She was good to me when I was a kit. I was scared, and missing my sister, and everything here was strange. But Briarlight made me feel I was helping her, so it was like I belonged."
- ―Twigbranch about Briarlight after her death River of Fire, page 212
- "I'm fed up with being treated as if I'm special! I just want to be like every other cat."
- ―Briarlight to Bramblestar Bramblestar's Storm, page 35
- In Squirrelflight's Hope, Squirrelflight meets Briarlight, her spine now healed, in StarClan. Able to properly walk, Briarlight spends her time playing with Juniperkit and Dandelionkit, now at peace and free from suffering.
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
|Briarlight's warrior ceremony|
- Briarlight's parents are Millie and Graystripe. Her littermates are Blossomfall and Bumblestripe. For more of Briarlight's family, click here!
- Eclipse (First appearance)
- Long Shadows
- Hollyleaf's Story
- The Fourth Apprentice
- Mistystar's Omen (Allegiance only)
- Fading Echoes
- Night Whispers
- Sign of the Moon
- The Forgotten Warrior
- The Last Hope
- Dovewing's Silence
- Crowfeather's Trial
- Bramblestar's Storm
- The Apprentice's Quest
- Thunder and Shadow
- Shattered Sky
- Darkest Night
- Tigerheart's Shadow (Allegiance only)
- River of Fire †
- Spotfur's Rebellion (Allegiance only)
- Squirrelflight's Hope
- Graystripe's Vow (Vision or Dream)
- The Ultimate Guide
- Did you know that Briarlight was the first born in her litter? For more trivia about Briarlight, click here!
- Jayfeather: "You couldn't feel my claws, could you?"
- Briarpaw: "No."
- Fading Echoes, pages 173-174
- Jayfeather: "So no appetite, eh?"
- Briarlight: "No."
- Night Whispers, pages 144-145
- "The Clan brings you fresh-kill because they think you deserve it, and because looking after their Clanmates is what makes them warriors. They are proud to help you."
- ―Jayfeather to Briarlight when she's feeling guilty Night Whispers, page 146
- Briarlight: "I wanted to look for herbs, to help Leafpool and Brightheart while Jayfeather is away. I just want to be useful! I know I'm not going to get better. But I-"
- Cinderheart: "You don't know that. It's early days yet."
- Sign of the Moon, pages 170-171
- "Thank you! I promise I'll be useful. I can wake everyone up for dawn patrols, and check nests for thorns while you're out. There's no reason I can't have duties of my own now. I am a warrior, after all!"
- ―Briarlight showing enthusiasm at being able to help the warriors Dovewing's Silence, page chapter 7
- Leafpool: "We're doing laps today. I think Briarlight is getting faster."
- Briarlight: "I'm not getting faster. You're getting slower."
- Darkest Night, page 68
- "In ThunderClan, we had a cat with a broken spine. She's the most cheerful cat in the Clan."
- ―Twigpaw to Finpaw about Briarlight Darkest Night, page 103
- "I can't believe this is happening. She was always so strong, so brave..."
- ―Graystripe about Briarlight as she is dying River of Fire, page 209
- Twigpaw: "Oh, Briarlight. Good-bye. You were so kind to me when I was a kit."
- Briarlight: "We had... some good times."
- River of Fire, page 210
- Jayfeather: "This is my fault. I must have given her the sickness when I went into the nursery to deliver Ivypool's kits. I should never have gone near her."
- Alderheart: "It's not your fault. Ivypool and her kits might have died without a medicine cat to help. Besides, you could just as well say that Leafpool and I were responsible. We shouldn't have left you as the only medicine cat in camp."
- River of Fire, pages 210-211
- Twigpaw: "She was good to me when I was a kit. I was scared, and missing my sister, and everything here was strange. But Briarlight made me feel I was helping her, so it was like I belonged."
- Graystripe (speaking for him and Millie): "We were so proud of her. She was strong and brave, and even though she couldn't walk, she always had the heart of a warrior."
- River of Fire, pages 212-213
- "She gave so much to the Clan, and we'll all miss her, but I know she'll be able to run again in StarClan."
- ―Alderheart thinking about Briarlight a quarter moon after her death River of Fire, page 230
- "She was such an amazing cat. I sometimes think she had more courage than the rest of the Clan put together. I'll never forget her. I just wish I could have been there to say good-bye to her."
- ―Dovewing after she finds out Briarlight died River of Fire, pages 262-263
- "When her littermates received warrior names, Briarlight was given one too, a reflection of her fierce-burning spirit, a recognition of the unimaginably difficult and unique apprenticeship that she had served."
- ―Narrator about Briarlight The Ultimate Guide, page 49
- (Warrior of the Week #64)
- (Indirect mention only)
- (Mentioned only)
- (Mentioned only)
- (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- Revealed in Squirrelflight's Hope, page 353
- Revealed in Long Shadows, allegiances
- Revealed in Eclipse, page 158
- Revealed in River of Fire, chapter 16
- Revealed in The Fourth Apprentice, allegiances
- Revealed in Fading Echoes, page 176
- Revealed in Fading Echoes, page 178
- Revealed in Bramblestar's Storm, allegiances