|"Give us the word, Nightstar, and we'll tear them apart."|
|— Cinderfur about a trespassing ThunderClan group in Forest of Secrets, page 184|
Cinderfur is a thin gray tom.
He is born to Rowanberry and Clawface as Cinderkit, along with his brother, Stumpykit. He later becomes an apprentice named Cinderpaw, with his uncle Nutwhisker as his mentor. He soon completes his training, and becomes Cinderfur. He sides against Yellowfang and going so far as to say that she had been acting like the entire Clan was a nuisance, though later sides against Brokenstar and his tyrannical rule. When Brokenstar and his followers are forced out of ShadowClan, Cinderfur's uncle, Nightstar, becomes leader, and he chooses Cinderfur as his deputy. Cinderfur also becomes mates with Ashheart, and sires Turtlekit, Quietkit and Rubblekit with her.
Cinderfur serves as deputy for some moons, but when an infected rat is brought back from Carrionplace, Cinderfur is among the first cats to fall ill, and despite Runningnose's best attempts to cure him, Cinderfur succumbs to the sickness, and Nightstar, who is deathly ill as well, does not have the strength to chose his successor, leaving ShadowClan without a deputy, and soon, without a leader.
In the Super Editions
- Cinderkit and Stumpykit are born to Clawface and Rowanberry of ShadowClan. They look out at the camp curiously beside their mother. Cinderkit soon becomes Cinderpaw, with Nutwhisker as his mentor, and occasionally eating at the fresh-kill pile.
- The night Raggedstar dies, Cinderfur discusses what to do about WindClan with Scorchwind, Tangleburr, and Blackfoot, declaring that they will think they're weak without a leader.
- Cinderfur agrees with Brokenstar about the elders moving out of the camp, saying that with the amount of kits that are around they will forever bother the elders, so it would be best if they would go.
- As ShadowClan are debating whether or not Yellowfang really killed Marigoldkit and Mintkit, he sniffs and says that she's been acting like the entire Clan is a nuisance.
In The Prophecies Begin arc
- Cinderfur doesn't appear formally, but he is revealed to be the cat chosen to become ShadowClan's deputy when Nightpelt becomes Clan leader. This is unusual, since deputies were rarely chosen from cats as old as Cinderfur.
- When ThunderClan is forced to travel through a strip of ShadowClan's territory to attend a Gathering because of a flooded stream in their territory, ShadowClan stops and challenges them. Cinderfur stands near the front of his Clan's Gathering patrol, and accuses them of spying. Tigerclaw contemptuously asks how they could spy on anything when they were nowhere near their camp. Cinderfur growls, and tells Nightstar to give the word to attack. Both sides prepare to lunge at each other, but Nightstar doesn't give the order, saying that he wanted ThunderClan at this Gathering, much to their bewilderment. Cinderfur respects his leader's order, and backs down, a sign of his respect and loyalty for Nightstar.
- Some time prior, Ashheart gives birth to his kits, Quietkit, Turtlekit, and Rubblekit, but unfortunately the kits die from the Carrionplace sickness.
- Whitethroat and Littlecloud tell Fireheart and Sandstorm they feared Nightstar would die from the sickness when there was no cat to take his place as leader. Fireheart prompts them about Cinderfur, but they ignore him. It's assumed by Fireheart that either Cinderfur was too old to become Clan leader, or he had already died.
- At a Gathering, Whitestorm asks if Cinderfur was going to represent ShadowClan after Nightstar is revealed to be dead, but Runningnose tells them he had been one of the first to become ill and die.
- Tigerstar, ShadowClan's new leader, explains Nightstar had been too weak to appoint a new cat in Cinderfur's place and died without a deputy, leaving ShadowClan without a leader up until Tigerstar's arrival.
In the Field Guides
- It is said on Tigerstar's page that Tigerstar had succeeded Nightstar instead of Cinderfur, who is referred to as elderly.
- At the end of Tigerstar's leader ceremony, Cinderfur is shown along Tallpoppy, Darkflower, and Dawncloud standing close together, and they watch with hopeful, anxious eyes.
In the Novellas
- When Clawface returns to ShadowClan's camp, he is looking around for Cinderfur, hearing that he had been made deputy. Upon hearing this, he is approached by Rowanberry, the mother of his son. She tells Clawface that their son walks with StarClan, and that he was the one to bring the infected prey to camp. Rowanberry reassures Clawface, telling him that their son will know of what his father has done to ShadowClan, bringing them healthy prey.
- He is said to have brought the infected rat that caused the Carrionplace disease to ShadowClan in Tigerclaw's Fury, but in Rising Storm, Littlecloud said an apprentice brought the infected rat.
Please do not edit this gallery
- Nutwhisker: Living (As of Yellowfang's Secret)
- Mintkit: Deceased, residence unknown
- Nightstar: Deceased, verified StarClan member
= Gender Unknown
- Cinderfur: "I think they're here to spy."
- Tigerclaw: "Spy? What can we spy on here? We're nowhere near your camp."
- Forest of Secrets, page 184
- "The two ShadowClan cats looked away. Did that mean Cinderfur had already died, or that he was just too old to become leader?"
- —Fireheart's thoughts, while talking with Littlecloud and Whitethroat Rising Storm, page 131
References and citations
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Revealed in The Ultimate Guide, page 96
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Revealed in Fire and Ice, allegiances
- ↑ Revealed in Rising Storm, page 313
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 396
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 400
- ↑ Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 442
- ↑ Revealed in Rising Storm, page 131
- ↑ Revealed in Into the Wild, allegiances
- ↑ Revealed in Tigerclaw's Fury, chapter 4
- ↑ Revealed in Rising Storm, page 94
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 Revealed on the Warriors website family tree
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 467
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 13.3 13.4 Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, allegiances
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 473
- ↑ Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 327
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 16.2 Revealed in Secrets of the Clans, page 71