|"StarClan may go where they please. They have betrayed SkyClan. From this day on, I will have nothing more to do with our warrior ancestors. StarClan allowed the Twolegs to destroy our home! They look down on us now, and let the moon go on shining while you drive us out! They said there would always be five Clans in the forest, but they lied. SkyClan will never look to the stars again!"|
|— Cloudstar to the other Clan leaders in Firestar's Quest, page 7|
Cloudstar was the leader of SkyClan during the destruction of the SkyClan forest territory. Originally a warrior named Cloudstorm, he later became Flystar's deputy and succeeded him as Cloudstar. Cloudstar became Birdflight's mate, and she bore his kits, Spottedkit and Gorsekit. After Twolegs destroyed the entirety of SkyClan territory, Cloudstar pleaded with the other Clans to share their land. However, the other leaders refused and forced SkyClan to leave, causing Cloudstar to turn his back on StarClan. He led SkyClan to the gorge but had to leave his family behind, since his kits were too young to travel.
Cloudstar died at the gorge and was succeeded by Buzzardstar as the leader of SkyClan. He joined SkyClan's ancestors, separated from the rest of StarClan, and urged Firestar to rebuild his Clan. He granted Leafstar one of her nine lives. Only then was he reunited with Birdflight and his kits, who were now warriors named Spottedpelt and Gorseclaw.
Looking for a longer overview? Find one here!
- "I have waited long for you to come, a strong cat, a leader, and one who bears no taint of our betrayal in his blood. You are not descended from the cats that drove us out, and yet you are a true Clan warrior. It is your destiny to restore SkyClan."
- ―Cloudstar to Firestar Firestar's Quest, page 86
- In Hawkwing's Journey, Cloudstar and Brackenheart meet with Skystar in StarClan to discuss SkyClan's impending doom. Cloudstar is insistent SkyClan will endure the coming trials, but Skystar replies it wouldn't be enough and the Clan needs to find spark that remains.
- "Cowards! Where are you? Come and face me, and tell me now that SkyClan is safe!"
- ―Cloudstar to StarClan Cloudstar's Journey, page chapter 10
- Cloudstar prepares his Clanmates for battle against ThunderClan in hopes to regain territory Darkstar had given them moons ago. They lose the fight, however, and Fawnstep confides she had a dream of SkyClan leaving the forest. As Twolegs have taken a majority of their territory, Birdflight gives birth to his kits, Gorsekit and Spottedkit. At the next Gathering, Cloudstar begs to the other Clans to give up land, but they refuse to help. Without another option, Cloudstar leads his Clan away and leaves behind his family to ThunderClan, the kits too young to travel.
- "StarClan watches us. That's different. It was my idea to take the fight into Twolegplace, not theirs. I hope we have their support, but our paws will carry us into battle, our claws will prove our strength to those thieving kittypets. This is our fight to win, not StarClan's."
- ―Cloudstorm to Petalfall Battles of the Clans, page 78
- Cloudstar is a small, lithe, pale gray tom with very pale water-blue eyes. He has white patches that resemble clouds, and broad shoulders.
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
- Cloudstar's mate is Birdflight, and their kits are Spottedpelt and Gorseclaw. For more of Cloudstar's family, click here!
- Moth Flight's Vision (Vision or Dream)
- Shadowstar's Life (Vision or Dream)
- Cloudstar's Journey
- Firestar's Quest (First appearance)
- SkyClan's Destiny
- Ravenpaw's Farewell
- Bramblestar's Storm
- Hawkwing's Journey
- The Apprentice's Quest (Indirect mention only)
- Shattered Sky (Indirect mention only)
- Cats of the Clans
- Code of the Clans
- Battles of the Clans
- The Ultimate Guide
- Cloudstar has the same shade of fur as Skystar.
- He was mistakenly called female.
- Petalfall: "But what if StarClan has told [Flystar] to do something else to deal with the kittypets? What if StarClan doesn't want us to attack them like this, in their own territory?"
- Cloudstorm: "Our warrior ancestors gave us the warrior code and the battle skills to protect and feed ourselves. They don't live among us, risking their fur to catch prey and drive out trespassers. These are things we must do for ourselves. We should be grateful for what they have taught us, but our actions are our own."
- Battles of the Clans, page 78
- Buzzardtail: "Those ThunderClan cats think they can hunt where they like. If Duskstar hadn't given them that strip of SkyClan territory to start with, they wouldn't walk all over us as if our scent marks meant nothing. I know he was our leader, but really, it was a mouse-brained decision."
- Cloudstar: "Duskstar had his reasons."
- Cloudstar's Journey, page chapter 1
- Buzzardtail: "The only burden you'll have is those kits of yours keeping you awake once they arrive. I heard Birdflight tell Hazelwing that she's going to let them sleep in your den to give her some peace."
- Cloudstar: "They'll be welcome. I can't wait to meet them."
- Cloudstar's Journey, page chapter 1
- Rainleap: "We don't stand a chance against the yellow monsters. SkyClan is going to be destroyed!"
- Cloudstar: "Never say that! As your leader, I will give my last breath to keep you safe. I promise the Twolegs will not harm a hair on your pelts or touch one branch of our homes. StarClan is watching over us--how else would we have escaped the falling tree today? They know that this is our home, and they will protect it."
- Cloudstar's Journey, page chapter 4
- "SkyClan can survive without it. I will never go groveling to Redstar to get us out of trouble, and we can't go back on Duskstar's decision to let them have that territory. It would be like challenging all our ancestors, as well as the warrior code. SkyClan will survive, without the help of ThunderClan. We are strong, skillful, and more honorable than any of the five Clans of the forest. Trust me, warriors. The Twolegs will not destroy our home."
- ―Cloudstar refusing to ask ThunderClan for help Cloudstar's Journey, page chapter 5
- "Cats of SkyClan! The reason we lost today is that ThunderClan fought harder and better. They wanted victory more than us. I don't blame any of you. All I ask is that you look at what you did today and see if you could have done any more. If the answer is yes, then there will be other battles, other chances to prove what it means to be a SkyClan warrior. SkyClan will take back what is rightfully ours. We will seize that territory from those ThunderClan thieves!"
- ―Cloudstar vowing to take back the territory Darkstar gave to ThunderClan Cloudstar's Journey, page chapter 9
- Birdflight: "Then this is good-bye."
- Cloudstar: "Birdflight, no. How can I leave you?"
- Cloudstar's Journey, page chapter 10
- Firestar: "Do you come from SkyClan?"
- Cloudstar: "You know of SkyClan, then?"
- Firestar's Quest, page 83
- "StarClan! StarClan betrayed us. They allowed the other Clans to chase us out like rogues. When we left the forest, I vowed that I would never look to the stars again."
- ―Cloudstar to Firestar Firestar's Quest, page 84
- (Warrior of the Week #65)
Notes and references
- Revealed in Shattered Sky, page 265
- Revealed in Firestar's Quest, allegiances
- Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 469
- Revealed in Cloudstar's Journey, chapter 1
- Revealed in Cloudstar's Journey, chapter 2
- Revealed in Battles of the Clans, page 75
- Revealed in Cloudstar's Journey, chapter 4
- Revealed in Battles of the Clans, page 154
- Revealed in Battles of the Clans, page 70
- Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 21
- Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 2
- Revealed in Cloudstar's Journey, allegiances
- Revealed in Shadowstar's Life, chapter 10
- Revealed in Ravenpaw's Farewell, chapter 9
- Revealed in Cloudstar's Journey, chapter 7