|"Breezepelt dived in there and attacked [the stoats]. He killed one easily. But the other was fiercer, and fought back. It slashed Breezepelt's side. He would have gone on fighting, but Heathertail and I forced him to retreat."|
|— Weaselfur to Crowfeather in Crowfeather's Trial, page 164|
- Below contains in-depth information for chapter thirteen of Crowfeather's Trial. If you are looking for a shorter summary of the entire book, please check the main article.
- Chapter Number: 13 (of 34)
- Page Numbers: 161-169
- Crowfeather instructs Featherpaw and Hootpaw to try a new battle move and shows them how to do it. He feels more refreshed than the previous night. The tom is pleased with the results of the session, even though he's training both apprentices. While the pair start to practice, Crowfeather thinks that a major fight with the stoats can't be far off. He wonders if Breezepelt and Heathertail are okay, since they're checking on the tunnels. He knows that apprentices won't be chosen for the first attack, but that anything could happen after that.
- Crowfeather compliments Hootpaw's technique, and the apprentice thanks him, saying Nightcloud taught him well. The warrior begins to praise Featherpaw, but distressed yowling breaks out. Crowfeather races away to see Heathertail and Weaselfur dragging a limp Breezepelt between them. He's horrified, and asks what's wrong. Crowfeather questions if Weaselfur did this, and the warrior snaps out a denial. Heathertail insists they need to get him to Kestrelflight, and they all agree.
- They rush back to camp, and Weaselfur explains that they were watching the stoats and learned a lot about them. However, the warrior continues that Breezepelt attacked them, despite Onestar's orders to avoid danger. They'd pulled the black warrior out and retreated, but he'd failed unconscious due to blood loss. Heathertail confirms this, adding that they tried to stop him, but he was intent on killing the stoats. The group approaches Kestrelflight's den and the medicine cat surveys the wound.
- Kestrelflight orders them to bring Breezepelt inside the den, and they do so. Crowfeather thinks that his son was brave, but that the move was foolish. The medicine cat treats the wound, reporting that it's serious and he'll need to be watched over. Heathertail offers to stay, but Crowfeather says he will, as she should report to Onestar. She hesitates, but agrees the leader needs to know what happened. Crowfeather apologizes to Weaselfur what he said, and the other tom says it's okay, and apologizes for his former actions as well.
- Weaselfur says he'll apologize to Breezepelt when he wakes up as well, agreeing that he truly did fight for WindClan. He leaves, and Crowfeather watches Kestrelflight treat his son's wound. The medicine cat slips out to report to Onestar, and his father settles down next to Breezepelt. Breezepelt wakes up, saying that he'd killed the stoat, but Nightcloud is still dead. Crowfeather sympathizes, tells him to rest, and they'll avenge her later. He insists WindClan needs warriors like him, and Breezepelt is shocked at the compliment. Crowfeather leaves to fetch him some prey, and finds Heathertail, Hootpaw, and Featherpaw hovering outside. He tells them of Breezepelt's condition, and that he's working to get better for the upcoming battle.
References and citations
|Crowfeather's Trial chapters|
|Prologue • Chapter 1 • Chapter 2 • Chapter 3 • Chapter 4 • Chapter 5 • Chapter 6 • Chapter 7 • Chapter 8 • Chapter 9 • Chapter 10 • Chapter 11 • Chapter 12 • Chapter 13 • Chapter 14 • Chapter 15 • Chapter 16 • Chapter 17 • Chapter 18 • Chapter 19 • Chapter 20 • Chapter 21 • Chapter 22 • Chapter 23 • Chapter 24 • Chapter 25 • Chapter 26 • Chapter 27 • Chapter 28 • Chapter 29 • Chapter 30 • Chapter 31 • Chapter 32 • Chapter 33 • Chapter 34 • Manga|