This article contains major spoilers for the recently released, The Place of No Stars. This also includes the reveal of the identity of the impostor. Please proceed at your own discretion.
|"Dappletuft must have known what [he] was risking, but to be exiled from your Clan in death..."|
|— Bristlefrost's thoughts on Dappletuft's fate in Veil of Shadows, page 220|
Dappletuft was a RiverClan warrior under Mistystar's leadership in the lake territories, born to Lakeheart and Lizardtail alongside Softkit, Harekit, and Gorsekit as Dapplekit. Upon becoming an apprentice, Dapplepaw was mentored by Duskfur, soon earning his warrior name, Dappletuft. When Bramblestar began demanding codebreakers be punished throughout the Clans, Dappletuft attended a secret meeting with cats from all the Clans to bring the impostor down. During an attempt on the impostor's life, Dappletuft was killed, and unable to find StarClan, he became a ghost and later became imprisoned in the Dark Forest.
- 1 History
- 1.1 In the A Vision of Shadows arc
- 1.2 In The Broken Code arc
- 1.3 In the Super Editions
- 1.4 In the Novellas
- 2 Trivia
- 3 Character pixels
- 4 Kin
- 5 Appearances
- 6 External links
- 7 Notes and references
In the A Vision of Shadows arc
- During a Gathering, Dapplekit and his siblings are mentioned by Mistystar to have been born to Lakeheart as healthy kits.
- Dapplepaw is now an apprentice, along with his siblings, with Duskfur as his mentor.
- "Plumpaw and Eaglepaw think SkyClan should have stayed. So do Dapplepaw and Harepaw in RiverClan. It's only the leaders who want them gone."
- ―Flypaw about the apprentices' opinion on SkyClan The Raging Storm, page chapter 17
- On the way to the Gathering, Flypaw mentions that she hopes Dapplepaw and Harepaw will attend so she can show off her battle moves. When they arrive on the island, Snappaw and Dapplepaw practice crouches together. After SkyClan leaves the lake, several cats want to bring them back because of StarClan's will. Flypaw mentions that Dapplepaw and Harepaw think they should have stayed.
In The Broken Code arc
- Dappletuft joins the secret meeting of cats concerned about Bramblestar's unusual behavior. When Bristlefrost arrives, Dappletuft moves closer to Sneezecloud in suspicion and narrows his eyes.
- "Dappletuft died in the attack, but I was stunned and dismayed to hear how [he] dishonored [his] Clan. No cat who offended StarClan in such a way can be part of RiverClan. We did not sit vigil for [him], and we buried [him] as we would have buried a rogue, with no words spoken over [him]."
- ―Mistystar about Dappletuft's death Veil of Shadows, page 220
- At the Gathering, the impostor announces how Dappletuft, Conefoot, and Stemleaf attempted to assassinate him. Mistystar is surprised to hear Dappletuft betray RiverClan, and notes that RiverClan did not hold a vigil for him like a rogue. Dappletuft's kin mourn for him in silence. At the Gathering after the impostor is defeated, Rootspring sees the ghosts of those who died recently lurking nearby.
- "Softpelt fought for the impostor, not against him. Do you suppose she would have let them come if Dappletuft had been the only warrior to die?"
- ―Icewing to Rootspring Darkness Within, page 44
- "This is how powerful I am. All these cats were once strong warriors, and now they do my bidding. They are my paws, and I’ll use them to crush the Clans, in your name, Squirrelflight."
- ―Ashfur about the imprisoned spirits The Place of No Stars (book), page chapter 15
In the Super Editions
- He becomes a warrior with the name of Dappletuft.
In the Novellas
- "Mistystar won’t like it if she finds out. But even if I can never go back to RiverClan, this is the right thing to do."
- ―Dappletuft about killing Bramblestar Spotfur's Rebellion, page chapter 9
- Dappletuft is mistakenly referred to as a she-cat.
Please do not edit this gallery
- Harelight: Living (As of The Place of No Stars)
- Gorseclaw: Living (As of The Place of No Stars)
= Gender Unknown
- The Apprentice's Quest (First appearance; mentioned only)
- Thunder and Shadow (Allegiance only)
- Shattered Sky (Allegiance only)
- Darkest Night (Allegiance only)
- River of Fire (Allegiance only)
- Tigerheart's Shadow (Allegiance only)
- Tawnypelt's Clan (Allegiance only)
- Spotfur's Rebellion †
- The Raging Storm
- Squirrelflight's Hope (Allegiance only)
- Lost Stars (Allegiance only)
- The Silent Thaw
- Veil of Shadows †
- Darkness Within (Mentioned only)
- The Place of No Stars (Mentioned only)
- (Allegiance only)
- (Indirect mention only)
- (Indirect mention only)
- (Indirect mention only)
Notes and references
- Revealed in The Place of No Stars, page 160
- While not specifically mentioned, Willowshine mentions that every cat who died since the Clans lost contact with StarClan was in the Dark Forest.
- Revealed in Thunder and Shadow, allegiances
- Revealed in Veil of Shadows, page 81
- On page 214 of Veil of Shadows, Rootspring sees the ghosts of the cats that had died in the recent skirmish. While not explicitly named, Dappletuft was one of two cats that perished and the usage of plural means he and Conefoot were ghosts.
- Revealed in Veil of Shadows, page 193
- Revealed in Spotfur's Rebellion, chapter 9
- Revealed in Darkest Night, allegiances
- Revealed in Squirrelflight's Hope, allegiances
- Revealed in Veil of Shadows, page 214
- Revealed in Veil of Shadows, page 220
- Revealed in Darkness Within, page 44