|"Panic flooded his thoughts until he froze, too scared to move. Something evil was happening to these spirits. He began to tremble, a yowl of anguish rising in his throat. He tried to swallow it back, but it tore out of him, joining the anguished wails of the spirit cats."|
|— Rootspring during the Sisters' ceremony in Darkness Within, page 245|
Darkness Within is the fourth book in the The Broken Code arc. It features Bristlefrost, Shadowsight, and Rootspring as the main protagonists. Leafpool serves as the protagonist for the prologue. Squirrelflight is featured on the cover, with Bramblestar and his impostor below.[blog 1]
- Special thanks to Kate Cary
- Is the warrior code worth a warrior's life?
- Exiled after a battle that left all five Clans devastated, ThunderClan's loyal deputy, Squirrelflight, must bring to light an earth-shattering truth: the identity of the cat ruling ThunderClan while wearing Bramblestar's face. With tensions among the Clans at a breaking point, another battle looms, and even Squirrelflight may not be able to ensure Bramblestar has a body to return to. If he returns at all...
- Exiled after a battle that left all five Clans devastated, ThunderClan’s loyal deputy, Squirrelflight, must bring to light an earth-shattering truth: the identity of the cat ruling ThunderClan while wearing Bramblestar’s face.
- While the fate of his body hangs in the balance, the real Bramblestar’s spirit has vanished. Even Rootspring is powerless to reach him—and with tensions among the Clans at a breaking point, Squirrelflight may not be able to ensure Bramblestar has a body to return to. If he returns at all.
- Packed with action and intrigue, this sixth[note 1] Warriors series is the perfect introduction for readers new to the Warriors world, while dedicated fans will be thrilled to discover the new adventures that unfold after the events of A Vision of Shadows.
Detailed plot description
Looking for a shorter overview? Find one here!
- Beside the pool that lets them see to the Clans, Leafpool, Firestar, Tallstar, and Bluestar sit there. Firestar and Leafpool are doubtful of the fact that they will be able to connect with their living Clanmates again, while Bluestar reminds them that they are warriors, resourceful warriors, that will stop the situation. Firestar then wonders why they sent the cat they sent, wondering why they trusted him in the first place. Tallstar blames the situation on the Clans' lack of ability to follow the warrior code, but Firestar rejects his idea, stating that they can only blame one cat.
- At the Gathering, Squirrelflight states that she knows who the impostor is. She reveals him to be Ashfur, surprising many of the senior warriors who remember the ThunderClan tom. The leaders discuss Ashfur's motives, concluding that he is after Squirrelflight, wanting her to join him. Some cats start arguing, blaming ThunderClan for their problems, but they stay silent after ThunderClan defends their acting leader. Squirrelflight then tells the Clans her plan to reveal that Ashfur is in fact the impostor in Bramblestar's body. While traveling back to camp, Bristlefrost questions if Ashfur had divided StarClan, which causes Squirrelflight to pull Bristlefrost aside for a talk. The ginger she-cat reminds Bristlefrost that StarClan cats were once warriors, loyal warriors, and she states that she will fix the situation and get Bramblestar back to his body. Bristlefrost admires the determination in her leader's eyes, but wonders how difficult her goal will be.
- More Coming Soon
- Kate's favorite scene to write was the end with Ashfur kidnapping Squirrelflight.[blog 2]
- A compiled list of the errors present in Darkness Within can be found here.
- Darkness Within (EN), HarperCollins (hardcover), 10 November 2020
- Darkness Within (EN), HarperCollins (eBook), 10 November 2020
- Finsternis im Inneren (DE), Beltz & Gelberg (hardcover), 21 July 2021, translated by Friederike Levin
- Darkness Within (EN), HarperCollins (paperback), 9 November 2021
- 黑暗湧動 (ZH), Morningstar (paperback), 1 October 2021
- (Warrior Cats Hub app only)
- (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- This is a typo on the official blurb, not by the wiki itself. The Broken Code is the seventh arc of the series. 
|Darkness Within chapters|
|Prologue • Chapter 1 • Chapter 2 • Chapter 3 • Chapter 4 • Chapter 5 • Chapter 6 • Chapter 7 • Chapter 8 • Chapter 9 • Chapter 10 • Chapter 11 • Chapter 12 • Chapter 13 • Chapter 14 • Chapter 15 • Chapter 16 • Chapter 17 • Chapter 18 • Chapter 19 • Chapter 20 • Chapter 21 • Chapter 22 • Chapter 23 • Chapter 24 • Chapter 25|