|"No other leader should have to face such insubordination in front of the other Clans. I propose a law that the word of a leader is the warrior code. What we say must never be challenged. StarClan gave us the power to lead; StarClan would wish it to be so."|
|— Darkstar proposing the thirteenth law in Code of the Clans, page 127|
Darkstar was an ancient SkyClan leader in the forest territories, and his deputy was Raincloud. At a Gathering, Darkstar gave a part of their territory to ThunderClan whose queens had recently given birth to numerous kits. Despite his deputy's outburst, Darkstar suggested a new law to the warrior code: the word of the Clan leader is the warrior code. Darkstar's decision to give up land remained controversial for many generations. After his death, Darkstar appeared in StarClan at Cloudstorm's leadership ceremony, and gave him a life to have faith in his instincts.
In the Novellas
- "We are all part of the noble history of SkyClan, but it is thanks to me that the leaders of all five Clans know that their judgement is final, that their word goes unchallenged."
- ―Darkstar explaining his contribution to the code Cloudstar's Journey, page chapter 2
- Cloudstar then tries to imagine himself in Darkstar's place, stating that the part of the forest he gave to them offered better hunting for ThunderClan than for SkyClan. He adds that Darkstar knew ThunderClan queens had recently given birth to several litters of kits, and their need for food was greater than the territory could provide, and states that if one Clan was starving to death, it was their duty to help them survive. Buzzardtail responds by stating that it was not part of the warrior code, and Cloudstar points out that obeying his leader was, which Darkstar was responsible for.
- It is revealed that Darkstar gave Cloudstar a life to have faith in his instincts and know that his word was law. Cloudstar asks if Darkstar ever regretted giving ThunderClan a strip of forest, and Darkstar replies that he could not bear to watch ThunderClan starve. For goodbye, the tom assures Cloudstar that the SkyClan will endure forever, although later gets exiled from forest.
In the Field Guides
- "Forgive my insolent deputy. She does not understand what it means to be truly loyal to her Clan. Vinestar, the land is yours. My warriors will set new border markers tomorrow."
- ―Darkstar telling Vinestar he can have the land Code of the Clans, page 126
- When he begins to speak, it is described that his voice is very thin, and the clearing below goes dead silent. Right before he makes his announcement, he raises his head and can almost be seen as the great warrior he once was. He tells the Clans that he wishes to give ThunderClan some of SkyClan's territory in order to feed their new kits. According to Raincloud, it is almost a quarter of SkyClan's territory.
- When he finishes his announcement, Raincloud leaps to her paws, and then onto the Great Rock, protesting and asking him if he really wanted to give away the territory. Darkstar justifies his decision by saying that ThunderClan has more mouths to feed than them, and they could extend their own territory on their other boundaries. Raincloud points out that this isn't true, because they are surrounded by Twolegs on all sides, but Darkstar stands by what he said, despite her words rebuking Raincloud and continues on with his decree.
- He then tells the other leaders that they should not have to face insubordination like this, and suggests a new rule to the warrior code; that the word of a leader is the warrior code. Raincloud fears that he had gone mad right in the middle of a Gathering. The other leaders slowly agree, although they seem to have some reservation about the rule. He tells Raincloud that she may still serve as his deputy, but she must never challenge him like that again.
- "Darkstar's words stand, now and forever!"
- ―Redstar Battles of the Clans, page 152
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
- His name is printed as Duskstar throughout the entirety of Cloudstar's Journey.
- His name has been spelled as Dusk-star.
- "Cats of all Clans, I, too, have an announcement. I wish to give part of SkyClan's territory to ThunderClan, to feed their new kits."
- ―Darkstar giving ThunderClan some of SkyClan's territory Code of the Clans, page 125
- "You may continue to serve as my deputy. But never challenge me like that again. The borders will change at dawn."
- ―Darkstar telling Raincloud not to speak against him Code of the Clans, page 128
- Buzzardtail: "Those ThunderClan cats think they can hunt where they like. If Duskstar hadn't given them that strip of SkyClan territory to start with, they wouldn't walk all over us as if our scent marks meant nothing. I know he was our leader, but really, it was a mouse-brained decision."
- Cloudstar: "Duskstar had his reasons."
- Cloudstar's Journey, page chapter 1
- "Wherever our heart lies, we have a duty to preserve the survival of all five Clans in the forest. I could not watch our neighhbors starve when we had prey to spare. Hold your head high, Cloudstar. SkyClan is the noblest of all the Clans, with the strongest borders, the bravest warriors and the most skilled hunters. You have nothing to fear from Twolegs, or their monsters, or the animals they have bent to their will. SkyClan will endure forever!"
- ―Darkstar to Cloudstar Cloudstar's Journey, page chapter 2
- (Mentioned only)
- (Mentioned only)