|"It's okay; I don't mind! I'm going to be a warrior. My paw may be dead, but the rest of me is still alive!"|
|— Deadpaw about his new name in Tallstar's Revenge, page 490|
Deadfoot was a deputy of WindClan under Tallstar's leadership in the forest territories. He was born to Meadowslip and Hickorynose, along with Pigeonkit and Sorrelkit, and named Hopkit for his twisted paw. He was apprenticed to Talltail and given the name Deadpaw to acknowledge his disability. He became a warrior with the name Deadfoot, and later served as Tallstar's deputy. He and Ashfoot became mates, and Deadfoot helped to lead his Clan when Brokenstar drove them away. Upon returning to their territory, Deadfoot retained his respect for Fireheart until his visits became frequent. He went on to father Crowfeather, but died soon after. Deadfoot joined the ranks of StarClan, and chose his son, Crowpaw, to go on the journey to the sun-drown place.
- 1 History
- 1.1 In The Prophecies Begin arc
- 1.2 In the The New Prophecy arc
- 1.3 In the Super Editions
- 1.4 In the Novellas
- 1.5 In the Ravenpaw's Path arc
- 2 Character pixels
- 3 Official art
- 4 Ceremonies
- 5 Family
- 6 Appearances
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Quotes
- 9 External links
- 10 Notes and references
In The Prophecies Begin arc
- "But we weren't safe at home. We couldn't even protect them from ShadowClan, not even in our own camp!"
- ―Deadfoot to Ashfoot Fire and Ice, page 2
- When Fireheart tells Tallstar that RiverClan is attempting to hunt on WindClan territory, Tallstar and Deadfoot are outraged, but Graystripe soothes them by saying the RiverClan cats went home with empty bellies because they could not hunt rabbits like WindClan. Deadfoot is suspicious of the ThunderClan cats, but once he realizes he can trust them, he proves to be a loyal and valuable cat while bringing his Clan home. When resting in Barley's barn, he is unsure about if it is safe, but quickly realizes that it is and urges his Clan to go inside. He then rests with them as Ravenpaw, Fireheart, and Graystripe hunt. Once they are in WindClan territory, he offers to escort Fireheart and Graystripe back to ThunderClan territory, and they accept, as they are tired and eager to return home safely. They decide to go through a portion of RiverClan territory because it will be shorter. They are slightly reluctant, but after a little persuading, Deadfoot also mentions that it will be a good chance to show RiverClan that WindClan has returned.
- As they pad through that portion of RiverClan territory, a RiverClan patrol attacks. Deadfoot proves to be a formidable fighter in the following battle. Afterwards, when they reach ThunderClan territory and Tigerclaw orders the WindClan cats to return to their territory, Deadfoot complies, bidding Fireheart and Graystripe farewell. When WindClan is attacked by ShadowClan, he is not seen but is most likely fighting with his Clanmates.
- Deadfoot finds Fireheart and Graystripe in WindClan territory while they are coming back from Ravenpaw's farm, but he and the WindClan patrol let them pass saying that ThunderClan is always welcome. Fireheart then lies and says they followed a ShadowClan scent trail into WindClan territory which causes Deadfoot to grow angry. Graystripe realizes that this lie could cause a war between WindClan and ShadowClan and states that they lost the scent, so perhaps they were mistaken. Deadfoot suspects nothing and continues to let them pass.
- During a Gathering, Deadfoot and Tigerclaw almost get into a fight, and later Deadfoot fights when WindClan and ShadowClan attack the ThunderClan camp. He and his Clanmates are forced to retreat. Like most of WindClan and all of ShadowClan, he bears a grudge against the murderous Brokentail, despite the fact him being an elder and blind, for all the harm he caused to his Clan.
- "Deadfoot, the WindClan deputy, stepped out of the heather and jumped on top of the sandy badger set. He was small and skinny, and he moved with the distinctive lopsided gait that gave him his name, but Fireheart knew that, like the rest of WindClan, his size concealed an agility and speed that other Clans found hard to match."
- ―Narrator about Deadfoot Rising Storm, page 231
- Deadfoot is one of the WindClan cats that Fireheart talks to when he goes to WindClan camp to speak to Tallstar. Deadfoot is extremely suspicious of the ThunderClan deputy, and when Fireheart requests an audience with Tallstar, Deadfoot also comes in to hear. He is doubtful that Bluestar will want to make peace, and is shocked when Fireheart admits that he went behind his leader's back to try and stop the battle. Deadfoot is with the WindClan cats who meet Bluestar to talk about the accusation of stolen prey. He and Fireheart stand with their leaders and Deadfoot makes sure that his Clan knows to stay back and not attack.
- When TigerClan attacks WindClan, Deadfoot is seen lying on the ground alongside Runningbrook, staring blankly.
In the The New Prophecy arc
- "Apprentice he may be, but he has courage and skill to match many warriors. One day he might make a fine leader of WindClan. [...] This is my choice. Do you—or any other cat—dare to say he is not worthy?"
- ―Deadfoot about choosing Crowpaw for the journey Midnight, pages 4-5
In the Super Editions
- "We all have our flaws, but we overcome them. And sometimes, it's our flaws that make us who we are."
- ―Talltail explaining why he wants to mentor Hopkit Tallstar's Revenge, page 487
- When Palebird gives birth, Hopkit asks eagerly if the kits are there yet, to which his sister pushes him aside, pointing out that Hawkheart, the medicine cat, is inside the nursery still. He excitedly weaves around Talltail along with his siblings, pointing out with a mew that they won't be the youngest kits in the nursery anymore. Hopkit limps over to the Hunting Stones, claiming that he'll show them to the kits once they're able to explore.
- After Talltail returns from his journey away from the Clans, Hopkit is seen scrambling out of the nursery. Talltail notes the kit is only one moon away from becoming an apprentice. Hopkit races around the Meeting Hollow, and Talltail notices him running nimbly, compensating well for having three good legs. Hopkit asks if Talltail will still help him practice an attack crouch, concerned that he wouldn't be able to train as an apprentice due to his twisted forepaw. Talltail agrees and Hopkit flicks his tail excitedly. They start to practice until Hopkit notices he's leaning too far on the side with his twisted paw. He becomes frustrated, but Talltail soothes him, saying he'll have to keep practicing. He adjusts his weight distribution and manages to balance himself. When he jumps and lands, he accidentally slices his paw on a piece of flint. Barkface notes that the cut is deep but that he'll be okay.
- As Barkface tends to his wound, Hopkit overhears Plumclaw saying a ShadowClan patrol had crossed the border. Clearly eager, Hopkit asks if Heatherstar has arranged a battle patrol to go, but Talltail hushes him. Hopkit slumps his shoulders, saying he wishes he were an apprentice and that he'd teach ShadowClan to stay away from their borders.
- Talltail is pleased to see that Hopkit is resting after slicing his paw. However, his mother is heard from the nursery, calling his name, asking if he can hear her. His mother says out loud that he is too hot and needs to cool down outside, though no answer is heard. Talltail rushes over to see what's going on and immediately scents sickness in the nursery. Talltail carries Hopkit outside into the frosty air, taking him over to the medicine cat den. Hawkheart says that the infection from his cut has spread. Barkface is the first to grimly announce that he could possibly die. Talltail frantically suggests that they take Hopkit to a Twoleg to have him cured, but he is scolded by Barkface. Instead, Barkface and Talltail go to RiverClan to retrieve sweet-sedge, with hopes that it'll help.
- Dawnstripe notes later, after the herb is brought back, that Hopkit may have his appetite back up. The swelling in his paw reportedly has calmed down and he may still recover. After the battle with ShadowClan, Hopkit asks Hawkheart that if Heatherstar says he can't be a warrior, if he can be a medicine cat. Hawkheart immediately says no, saying he is too fidgety and that WindClan doesn't need another medicine cat anyway. He then asks how he could possibly be a warrior with a limp paw, and Hawkheart snorts, saying if he can even just limp on it, he can still walk, thus he can still hunt. He says the kit could fight by arguing with his enemies instead, since he is good at it. Hopkit denies this.
- Talltail requests having Hopkit as his apprentice. Heatherstar is doubtful at first, asking if he'd be able to train in the first place with his twisted paw. Talltail argues that every cat has their weaknesses, and that Hopkit's just happens to be his paw. Heatherstar sees his reasoning and agrees to let Hopkit train. Before the ceremony starts, Talltail is frustrated that so many cats quickly gave up on Hopkit's ability to be a warrior.
- Nonetheless, Heatherstar names Talltail as Hopkit's mentor, and in the same ceremony, renames him Deadpaw, after his twisted paw. His mother gasps as he is given the name, saying he can't be named after something that is wrong with him, but Deadpaw proudly raises his chin and reassures her, saying that while his paw is dead, the rest of him is very much alive. Whiteberry praises him for his wisdom, and Hickorynose gives a thoughtful look, suggesting that they could use his name to their advantage, tricking the enemy into thinking he is weaker than he really is. Deadpaw nods earnestly at this. He then pushes up his head to meet muzzles with Talltail, and tells him he is glad to have him for a mentor.
- "No wonder [Breezepelt] feels embarrassed. He’s young, and it’s hard to discuss she-cats with your father—especially when you don’t know your father all that well. Come to think of it, my father, Deadfoot, was always busy, since he was Clan deputy. I’d have died if I’d had to talk to him about she-cats!"
- ―Crowfeather's thoughts on his late father Crowfeather's Trial, page chapter 16
In the Novellas
- When ThunderClan attacks WindClan's medicine supply, Pinestar fights against a black tom with a twisted paw. Pinestar wrenches himself free of the black tom's jaws, and the WindClan cat staggers, off-balance from this. However, he quickly regains his footing and throws himself at Pinestar again. The ThunderClan leader fends him off with a barrage of blows, and the black tom lets out a yowl and flees. Pinestar thinks he recognizes the warrior he had been fighting as Deadfoot, but isn't certain due to the confusion of the battle.
- Coming Soon
In the Ravenpaw's Path arc
- While Ravenpaw and Barley are on their way back to the barn, accompanied by Firestar and his patrol of ThunderClan cats, they meet a WindClan patrol. Included within this patrol is Deadfoot. Upon seeing the cats, Deadfoot wishes them good luck, and adds that Ravenpaw and Barley deserve their home back.
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
|Deadpaw's apprentice ceremony|
- Deadfoot's parents are Meadowslip and Hickorynose. His mate is Ashfoot, and his kits are Crowfeather, Eaglekit, Downkit and Hillkit. For more of Deadfoot's family, click here!
- Pinestar's Choice
- Tallstar's Revenge
- Redtail's Debt (Allegiance only)
- Fire and Ice (First appearance)
- Forest of Secrets
- Tigerclaw's Fury (Allegiance only)
- Rising Storm
- A Dangerous Path
- The Darkest Hour
- Blackfoot's Reckoning (Flashback only)
- The Heart of a Warrior
- Midnight †
- Crowfeather's Trial (Mentioned only)
- Secrets of the Clans (Retconned)
- Vicky says she thinks Deadfoot died in the battle with BloodClan, in spite of the fact that he appears in The Heart of a Warrior, as well as Crowfeather mentioning that his father was always busy as deputy when he was a kit.
- In The Heart of a Warrior, he is shown with a lighter face.
The following information is from sources considered non-canon or retconned.
- In Secrets of the Clans, a 2007 field guide, when ShadowClan attacks WindClan's camp, Deadfoot urges Tallstar to call a retreat. Mudclaw argues to continue fighting, but Deadfoot and Tallstar order to retreat to prevent the loss of warriors. Deadfoot manages to survive the fight and gets away from camp after the battle.
- Hopkit: "Hawkheart? If Heatherstar says I can't become a warrior, do you think I could become a medicine cat?"
- Hawkheart: "No. You're too fidgety. Besides, WindClan doesn't need another medicine cat."
- Tallstar's Revenge, pages 483-484
- Deadfoot: "If we did go that way it would let RiverClan know that WindClan is back."
- Fireheart: "And once they've smelled fresh WindClan scent, they might not be so keen to come rabbit hunting in your territory again."
- Fire and Ice, pages 82-83
- Deadfoot: "Hello, Fireheart. You’re a long way from home."
- Fireheart: "We just...we picked up a ShadowClan scent trail, and it led us up here."
- Forest of Secrets, pages 32-33
- Deadfoot: "You seem to be making WindClan territory your second home."
- Fireheart: "There's no other from the forest to the lands beyond."
- Rising Storm, page 232
- Deadfoot: "Neat move. But you're slow, like all forest cats."
- Fireheart: "I'm fast enough."
- Rising Storm, page 233
- Firestar: "Our friends from WindClan are expecting us. Deadfoot. Good to see you."
- Deadfoot: "And you, Firestar. Ravenpaw …Barley. We’ve heard about what happened at the farm. Good luck to you both. You deserve to get your home back."
- The Heart of a Warrior, page 17
- Deadfoot: "My turn, I think. See and approve my choice."
- Oakheart: "What? That’s an apprentice!"
- Midnight, pages 4-5
- "Deadfoot stared back with fury in his eyes, his fur fluffed up so that he looked twice his size. He was obviously ready to take on any cat who challenged him."
- ―Narrator on Deadfoot ready for anyone to challenge his decision Midnight, page 5
- Deadfoot: "They’re going to kill us all! We have to escape!"
- Mudclaw: "And abandon our camp? I’d rather die fighting than let these crow-food-eaters drive us out."
- Secrets of the Clans, page 35
- (Indirect mention only)
- (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- Revealed in Midnight, page 4
- Revealed in Fire and Ice, allegiances
- Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 208
- Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 490
- Revealed in Fire and Ice, page 61
- Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 491
- Revealed in Firestar's Quest, allegiances
- Revealed in Rising Storm, page 231
- Revealed in Fire and Ice, page 3
- Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 449
- Revealed in The Heart of a Warrior, page 17
- Revealed on Vicky's Facebook (screenshot)
- Revealed in Crowfeather's Trial, chapter 16
- Revealed in The Heart of a Warrior, page 16
- Revealed in Secrets of the Clans, page 32