|"Why are you telling them this? These cats are no longer our Clanmates. They turned their back on the warrior code when they chose to follow Brokenstar. And this cat is not to be trusted. What are you planning, Tigerclaw? I thought your Clanmates would have clawed your fur off by now."|
|— Deerfoot on Tigerclaw and the other rogues in Tigerclaw's Fury, page 38|
Deerfoot is a tom.
Deerfoot was a ShadowClan warrior under Raggedstar's, Brokenstar's, Nightstar's, and Tigerstar's leaderships in the forest territories. He was born as Deerkit under Cedarstar to Lizardstripe and Mudclaw along with his littermates, Tanglekit and Runningkit, and later gained Brokenkit as a foster sibling. He and his siblings shunned and bullied Brokenkit in their youth. He was apprenticed to Cloudpelt as Deerpaw, and later earned his warrior name, Deerfoot. He was a very outspoken and prideful warrior, questioning and opposing Tigerclaw when he began to take over ShadowClan.
In the Super Editions
- Yellowfang: "Doesn't the Clan need feeding first?"
- Deerfoot: "They can wait. It's not like we'll be long."
- Yellowfang's Secret, page 421
- Deerkit is born to Lizardstripe and Mudclaw, and his siblings are Runningkit and Tanglekit. He is the first of his litter, along with Tanglekit to leave the nursery. Yellowfang finds he and his littermates taunting Brokenkit about his parents because he doesn't know who his mother is. Deerkit tells Brokenkit he smells funny. Brokenkit lashes out a paw at the three kits and Deerkit shrinks away. Deerkit tells Brokenkit that his mother could have been a rogue, a kittypet, or even a badger, and calls him names. Yellowfang breaks up the kits' argument and Deerkit is said to look defiant. Later, Deerkit and Tanglekit approach Brokenkit and tell him the old she-cats and sick cats were the only friends in the Clan that Brokenkit had. The two kits continue to taunt Brokenkit and he lashes out at Deerkit. Deerkit yowls that it had hurt and Yellowfang replies that it will serve him right.
- Deerkit becomes an apprentice, named Deerpaw, and his mentor is Cloudpelt. When Brokenkit is apprenticed to Nightpelt, Yellowfang hears Brokenpaw ask Deerpaw why did he get the sick tom as a mentor, Brokenpaw says that it isn't fair at all. Cedarstar announces Brokenpaw, Tanglepaw, and Deerpaw's apprenticeship as warriors at a Gathering, he also announces Runningpaw becoming apprentice medicine cat. Later, Tanglepaw gets injured while practice fighting with Brokenpaw. The she-cat briefly mentions to Yellowfang that she wants to hurry and get back to training so that she could see Brokenpaw beat Deerpaw. When Raggedstar becomes leader, Deerpaw remarks to Brokenpaw that he must be proud that his father is the leader. Soon after, Deerpaw thinks that it is unfair that Brokentail became a warrior just because his father is ShadowClan's leader.
- Deerpaw becomes a warrior, earning the name Deerfoot. He is seen leaving the camp to go battle training. Yellowfang asks if they should feed the Clan first, and Deerfoot replies that the Clan can wait. When they return from training, Deerfoot is seen limping. Deerfoot is then seen yelling out suggestions to Brokenstar at a Clan meeting. After Brokenstar tells the elders to live outside of the camp, Deerfoot is seen agreeing with him. When Marigoldkit and Mintkit are found dead, Deerfoot asks Brokenstar how the kits died.
In the Novellas
- "These cats left our Clan for a reason. Maybe we should think twice before welcoming them back."
- ―Deerfoot, when the cats return Tigerclaw's Fury, page chapter 4
- When he visits again, Deerfoot remarks that they could still hunt for themselves, walking forward. His eyes glisten, and Tigerclaw thinks the ShadowClan cat is beginning to get sick. Deerfoot says that the cats left the Clan for a reason, suggesting to think twice before letting them rejoin. However, Runningnose scolds him, telling him to show some gratitude. When Nightstar dies, Deerfoot inquires why they should let outsiders do everything for them, and Tigerclaw meets his gaze before explaining. While arranging the battle training, Deerfoot, in a mild voice, remarks that they could arrange their own hunting patrols, eyes gleaming with challenge. Tigerclaw replies that he meant his cats could help restock the fresh-kill pile, and Deerfoot blinks. The dark tabby then thinks that he was going to question him at every turn, but Mapleshade, in his head, remarks that they would deal with him at another time. When nearing Gathering time, Deerfoot stands up, hissing that the Gathering was the next day, asking if StarClan desired for them to appear weak and leaderless in front of the other Clans.
- Blackpaw recalls how Lizardstripe lets her kits pick on Brokenkit. Later, Ashheart attempts to physically punish Brokenpaw for using his claws during training and injuring Deerpaw. Blackfoot deescalates the argument and suggests for Deerpaw to see Yellowfang for his bloody shoulder. When Blackfoot asks Brokenpaw what happened, Brokenpaw insists Deerpaw just needs to train harder. Blackfoot wonders why Brokenpaw would hurt one of his friends, since now all the apprentices look up to Brokenpaw, but the tabby insists he doesn't have any friends. Moons later, Blackfoot leads Lizardstripe, Deerfoot, Russetfur and Boulder in a siege on ThunderClan's camp to steal their kits. When Blackfoot, Stumpytail, Tangleburr, and Stumpytail return to ShadowClan to help them during the sickness, Deerfoot, sick with fever, questions why they should accept help from traitors, but Runningnose silences his brother.
= Gender Unknown
= Gender Unknown
- He was mistakenly called Deerleap.
- Despite his appearances in Tigerclaw's Fury, he is not listed in the allegiances.
The following information is from sources considered non-canon or retconned.
- On Vicky's Facebook, Deerfoot was a mottled dark gray and brown tom with a white chest and chin, and yellow eyes. He also resides in the Dark Forest.
- Deerfoot: "Why are you telling them this? These cats are no longer our Clanmates. They turned their back on the warrior code when they chose to follow Brokenstar. And this cat is not to be trusted. What are you planning, Tigerclaw? I thought your Clanmates would have clawed your fur off by now."
- Tigerclaw: "I chose to leave. ThunderClan is ruled by a kittypet now that Bluestar listens to Fireheart before anyone else."
- Tigerclaw's Fury, page chapter 3
- "Soon isn't now! The Gathering is tomorrow! Does StarClan want us to look weak and leaderless in front of the other Clans?"
- ―Deerfoot asking if StarClan wanted ShadowClan to look weak Tigerclaw's Fury, page chapter 10
- (Indirect mention only)
Notes and references
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 332
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 354
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 420
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 341
- Revealed in Secrets of the Clans, page 69
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, pages 341-342
- Revealed in Secrets of the Clans, page 70
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 435
- Revealed in Tigerclaw's Fury, allegiances
- Revealed on Vicky's Facebook
- Revealed on Vicky's Facebook