|"I know it hurts to have your Clanmates say mean things about you. But you mustn't listen to whispers. Warriors will always have an opinion. The most important thing is that you did what you what you thought was right. And you told the truth. In the end, it's lies that tear a Clan apart, not the truth. I wish you had as much faith in yourself as I do."|
|— Dovewing to Shadowsight in The Silent Thaw, page 211|
Dovewing is a ShadowClan queen under Tigerstar's leadership in the forest territories, previously a warrior of ThunderClan under Firestar's and Bramblestar's leaderships. Dovekit was born to Whitewing and Birchfall alongside her sister, Ivykit. Jayfeather and Lionblaze realized she was the Third cat in the Kin of Your Kin prophecy, having the ability to see and hear far from her natural limits. As Dovepaw, she was mentored by Lionblaze and went on a journey, making jealously spark between her and Ivypaw. During the journey, she fell for a ShadowClan warrior, Tigerheart, and the two grew close after. When she became a warrior, Dovewing ended her relationship with Tigerheart, but the feelings for him remained. Though she grew close to Bumblestripe, a cat from her own Clan, she didn't feel the same way he felt about her.
After the Great Battle, she lost her powers and was affected the most out of the Three. She became mates with Bumblestripe, but broke up with him later on. When Tigerheart took refuge in ThunderClan due to Darktail's Kin taking over ShadowClan, she grew close to him once more, even becoming pregnant with his kits. After having a dream, Dovewing left ThunderClan to the guardian cats where she gave birth to Shadowkit, Lightkit, and Pouncekit. Eventually, she returned to the lake with Tigerheart and joined ShadowClan to be with him. Following Bramblestar's revival, he was adamant about punishing the codebreakers, and Dovewing was revealed to be one of them. To atone for her mistakes, Dovewing went into self-exile, but she returned to ShadowClan after Tigerstar and Shadowsight brought her back. She later gave birth to hers and Tigerstar's second litter of kits: Birchkit and Rowankit.
Looking for a longer overview? Find one here!
- "There will be three, kin of your kin...Cloudtail is Firestar's kin, Whitewing is Cloudtail's daughter, and now Dovekit and Ivykit...Don't you see? The prophecy isn't over! We aren't the only kin of Firestar's kin. It doesn't matter which of Whitewing's kits is the one. There are still three of us!'"
- ―Jayfeather to Lionblaze about the prophecy Sunrise, page 318
- "Maybe it won't be so bad, having these powers, if I can use them to help my Clan."
- ―Dovepaw contemplating her power The Fourth Apprentice, page 294
- When Dovepaw discovers that her sister is training in the Dark Forest, Ivypaw insists it makes her a better warrior. Meanwhile, Dovepaw meets Tigerheart at night in secret. However, when Dovepaw tells Tigerheart about Jayfeather's supply of catmint, he uses this knowledge to aid ShadowClan. Dovepaw feels betrayed and ends their meetings. She earns her warrior name, Dovewing, and is chosen to go on a mission to the Tribe, where she struggles to block out all the new noises and smells. There, she witnesses Swoop get carried off by an eagle, and her powers fail from the resulting trauma.
- Bumblestripe develops feelings for Dovewing, though she runs into Tigerheart, and she agrees to meet with him again. After telling Squirrelflight, Brambleclaw, and Leafpool about their powers, Dovewing breaks off her relationship with Tigerheart, due to recognizing her loyalties to the prophecy. During the battle against the Dark Forest, she informs ThunderClan about the position of the Dark Forest warriors, and is present when Firestar dies.
- "You don't know what you're meowing about! Bringing new kits into a Clan right now is not giving it new life! All it will do is bring us more death and heartbreak. I will not go through a kitting just so Darktail and his Kin can have more fresh, helpless victims."
- ―Dovewing telling Bumblestripe to buzz off when he wants to have kits with her Shattered Sky/Bonus Scene, page 12
- Twigpaw and Finpaw discover Dovewing and Tigerheart meeting on SkyClan territory and discussing their troubled relationship. Later, Dovewing goes missing, and Ivypool searches for her. Moons later, she returns with her kits, Shadowkit, Lightkit, and Pouncekit, but announces that Tigerheart is dead. However, he is revived as Tigerstar and ShadowClan's new leader. Before leaving for ShadowClan, Dovewing takes her kits to ThunderClan to meet Ivypool and her litter.
- "Do you really believe that this impostor doesn’t mean to harm us all? We can't let him carry on as leader of ThunderClan. He's made it clear time and time again that he wants to tell every Clan what to do, not just ThunderClan."
- ―Dovewing to Tigerstar about the impostor The Silent Thaw, page 309
- She has given birth to her second litter of kits with Tigerstar: Rowankit and Birchkit.
- Dovewing: "In spite of the powers the three of us had, the Clans were still devastated by the Great Battle."
- Bramblestar: "But without you, we would have suffered much more. StarClan gave you those powers for a good reason. You knew where the Dark Forest warriors were attacking. Lionblaze fought like a whole Clan of warriors without shedding a drop of blood, and Jayfeather united StarClan."
- Bramblestar's Storm, page 376
- "Your loyalty makes you who you are. And I know you will love our kits with the same fierce loyalty with which you love your Clan. I love you, Tigerheart. I would have loved you even if you hadn't followed me here. I will always love you. Not just because you're the father of my kits, but because you're you. I'm sorry I made you choose between your Clan and me. No cat should ever have to make that choice. I was scared of facing this alone. I've been a coward."
- ―Dovewing to Tigerheart Tigerheart's Shadow, page 188
- "Small warrior, many dangers there are in a world when you are blind and deaf. But eyes and ears you have still. Use them as your Clanmates do. Weaker than them you will never be."
- ―Midnight to Dovewing about the loss of her powers Dovewing's Silence, page chapter 10
- "The hardest lesson I've learned as a mother is that you can't control what happens to your kits. All you can do is love them, and guide them, and try to do what you think is right for them when you can That's what you're doing. You're a good mother."
- ―Tawnypelt to Dovewing Tawnypelt's Clan, pages 155-156
Please do not edit this gallery
|Dovepaw's apprentice ceremony|
|Dovewing's warrior ceremony|
- Dovewing's parents are Birchfall and Whitewing, and her sister is Ivypool. Her mate is Tigerstar, and Shadowsight, Lightleap, Pouncestep, Rowankit, and Birchkit are their children. For more of Dovewing's family, click here!
- Coming Soon
- «Just sitting here, talking to a Clanmate, looking at the stars...It wasn't exactly the same as the nights she had spent with Tigerheart—she couldn't feel her heart thumping hard enough to burst out of her chest, and her paws weren't tingling as she ran through forbidden territory—but right at that moment, she was very happy to be sitting beneath the jasmine with Bumblestripe, and nowhere else.»
- —Dovewing's thoughts about Bumblestripe The Forgotten Warrior, page 108
- Bumblestripe was Dovewing's former mate. As apprentices, they trained together, and after Dovepaw returned from saving the lake water, Bumblepaw and his littermates lined feathers in Dovepaw's nest as thanks. During Dovepaw's warrior assessment, she rescues Icecloud from a hole and Bumblestripe admires her bravery. He reassures Dovewing on ShadowClan's behavior during a Gathering, and she praises him for being a great brother to Briarlight. On their walk back to ThunderClan, Blossomfall tells Dovewing that Bumblestripe likes her. After Dovewing's return to the mountains, she experiences nightmares about Swoop's death, and Bumblestripe brings these up to Jayfeather and asks if he can help her. While collecting moss with her mother, Whitewing comments how Bumblestripe likes Dovewing and how she should find a mate one day, implying that Bumblestripe would make a fine mate for her daughter. Dovewing is unsure if the prophecy would allow her to have a family, but she knows that Tigerheart would understand. When Bumblestripe asks Dovewing if she would like to go on a walk with him, she declines, and Cinderheart scolds her for hurting his feelings. Upon Cinderheart's encouragement, Dovewing goes after Bumblestripe and they spend time talking and looking at the stars. Though Dovewing notes spending time with Bumblestripe doesn't feel the same as spending time with Tigerheart.
- Bumblestripe also praises Dovewing when she found Sorreltail giving birth out in their territory, and is proud of her. After a training session, Bumblestripe reveals that he hopes to become Dovewing's mate, and Dovewing begins to seriously consider him over Tigerheart. However, Bumblestripe's attitude changes during a training session as they practice climbing trees; he scolds her every move and tells her to shut up when she makes a scathing remark about why they're practicing. Dovewing wonders why she chose him over Tigerheart and that she only chose him because he's a ThunderClan cat. Bumblestripe does apologize for his attitude and they move on, but Dovewing resume meeting Tigerheart in secret. When Blossomfall nearly pushes Bumblestripe into a tree and Dovewing rebukes him for not paying attention, Rosepetal scolds Dovewing for her mean attitude towards Bumblestripe. Despite Dovewing not wanting Bumblestripe's affection, Rosepetal orders her to apologize to him. This leads to another argument between the two as Bumblestripe sharply insists he gets that she doesn't like him. Dovewing is defensive when she spots Bumblestripe watching her and Tigerheart speak at the Gathering. Dovewing breaks up with Tigerheart, and she and Bumblestripe fight together during the Great Battle. After the battle, Dovewing has officially chosen Bumblestripe over Tigerheart.
- The pair become mates, though Dovewing struggles over the loss of her powers. After Dovewing praises Bumblestripe's mentor with Seedpaw, Bumblestripe brings up the idea of having kits of their own, and Dovewing is uncomfortable about the idea, insisting they must focus on the flooding. Bumblestripe shows Bramblestar that Dovewing has been attempting to gain her powers back, which upsets Dovewing, though Bramblestar insists that her mate is merely worried for her. After the battle against the badgers, Dovewing and Bumblestripe break up. Moons later, while Dovewing is grieving Purdy's death, Bumblestripe asks if they can rekindle their relationship and start a family, to which Dovewing sharply declines. After Dovewing has Tigerstar's kits and joins ShadowClan to be with him, Bumblestripe is hurt and holds resentment towards her.
- Sunrise (First appearance)
- Hollyleaf's Story
- The Fourth Apprentice
- Mistystar's Omen (Allegiance only)
- Fading Echoes
- Night Whispers
- Sign of the Moon
- The Forgotten Warrior
- The Last Hope
- Dovewing's Silence
- Crowfeather's Trial (Allegiance only)
- Bramblestar's Storm
- The Apprentice's Quest
- Thunder and Shadow
- Shattered Sky
- Darkest Night
- Tigerheart's Shadow
- River of Fire
- Tawnypelt's Clan
- Spotfur's Rebellion (Allegiance only)
- The Raging Storm
- Squirrelflight's Hope
- Lost Stars
- The Silent Thaw
- Veil of Shadows
- Darkness Within
- Graystripe's Vow (Allegiance only)
- Daisy's Kin (Allegiance only)
- The Place of No Stars
- A Light in the Mist
- River (Mentioned only)
- Battles of the Clans
- The Ultimate Guide
- Did you know Dovewing looks just like Ivypool, just missing the white splotches on her pelt? For more trivia about Dovewing, click here!
- (Warrior of the Week #53)
Notes and references
- Revealed in Tigerheart's Shadow, page 410
- Revealed in Sunrise, page 317
- Revealed in Tigerheart's Shadow, page 135
- Revealed in Tawnypelt's Clan, chapter 6
- Revealed in Tigerheart's Shadow, page 14
- Revealed in The Silent Thaw, page 247
- Revealed in The Silent Thaw, page 311
- Revealed in Veil of Shadows, page 83
- Revealed in The Fourth Apprentice, page 39
- Revealed in Sign of the Moon, page 34
- Revealed in Lost Stars, page 228
- Revealed in Tigerheart's Shadow, page 7
- Revealed in River, allegiances
- Revealed in The Fourth Apprentice, page 38
- Revealed in Lost Stars, page 164
- Revealed in Fading Echoes, allegiances
- Revealed in The Apprentice's Quest, allegiances
- Revealed in The Silent Thaw, page 77
- Revealed in The Fourth Apprentice, chapter 25
- Revealed in Sign of the Moon, chapter 2
- Revealed in Sign of the Moon, chapter 6
- Revealed in The Forgotten Warrior, chapter 1
- Revealed in The Forgotten Warrior, chapter 3
- Revealed in The Forgotten Warrior, chapter 8
- Revealed in The Forgotten Warrior, chapter 12
- Revealed in The Forgotten Warrior, chapter 16
- Revealed in The Last Hope, chapter 9
- Revealed in The Last Hope, chapter 13
- Revealed in The Last Hope, chapter 19
- Revealed in The Last Hope, chapter 26
- Revealed in Dovewing's Silence, chapter 6
- Revealed in Dovewing's Silence, chapter 7
- Revealed in Bramblestar's Storm, chapter 7
- Revealed in Bramblestar's Storm, chapter 12
- Revealed in Bramblestar's Storm, chapter 27
- Revealed in Bramblestar's Storm, chapter 33
- Revealed in Shattered Sky: Bonus Scene
- Revealed in River of Fire, chapter 21
- Revealed in The Raging Storm, chapter 3
|Medicine cats||Puddleshine • Shadowsight|
|Warriors||Snowbird • Tawnypelt • Scorchfur • Berryheart • Sparrowtail • Grassheart • Stonewing • Yarrowleaf • Slatefur • Whorlpelt • Snaketooth • Flowerstem • Blazefire • Gullswoop • Pouncestep • Lightleap • Spireclaw • Hollowspring • Sunbeam • Flaxfoot • Hopwhisker • Fringewhisker|
|Queens||Dovewing • Cinnamontail|
|Kits||Rowankit • Birchkit • Firkit • Streamkit • Bloomkit • Whisperkit|
|Members||Boots • Bracken • Cobweb • Dotty • Feather • Fierce • Marigold • Mittens • Peanut • Pipsqueak • Rascal • Scowl|
|Former members||Antfur • Blazefire • Cinnamontail • Dovewing • Lightleap • Pouncestep • Pumpkin • Shadowsight • Spiresight • Tigerstar|