|"Let me keep busy. I need something to distract me, or the memories hurt too much."|
|— Dustpelt to Bramblestar about retiring in Bramblestar's Storm, page 26|
Dustpelt was a ThunderClan warrior that served under Bluestar's, Firestar's, and Bramblestar's leaderships in the forest and lake territories. He was born to Fuzzypelt and Robinwing alongside his brother, Ravenpaw. As an apprentice, Dustpaw was mentored by Redtail and was saddened by his death and later received Darkstripe as his second mentor. Dustpaw was critical of the former kittypet, Firepaw, bullying him along with Sandpaw. He grew close to Tigerclaw, Darkstripe, and Longtail, who reinforced his hatred of Firepaw. However, when it was revealed that Tigerclaw killed Redtail, Dustpelt turned on him, insisting that he was loyal to ThunderClan.
Dustpelt became mates with Ferncloud and fathered three litters: Spiderkit and Shrewkit, Birchkit, Hollykit, and Larchkit, and Icekit and Foxkit. As a warrior, he mentored Ashfur, Squirrelflight, and Hazeltail, and strongly believed in the warrior code, disagreeing with Firestar's willingness to accept strangers into ThunderClan. He participated in the Great Battle, during which Ferncloud and Foxleap are killed, and nearly disowned Birchfall due to his training in the Place of No Stars, but forgave him. Dustpelt felt guilty for not protecting his mate and had trouble moving on. He denied retirement continually and was ultimately killed by badgers in battle. He was reunited with his family in StarClan.
- 1 History
- 2 Character pixels
- 3 Official art
- 4 Ceremonies
- 5 Family
- 6 Appearances
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Quotes
- 9 External links
- 10 Notes and references
Looking for a longer overview? Find one here!
- "I looked up to you. I wanted to be like you. But Redtail was my mentor. I owe him more than any cat. And you killed him. You killed him and betrayed the Clan. I'd rather die than follow you."
- ―Dustpelt to Tigerclaw Forest of Secrets, page 288
- When Sandpaw warms up to Fireheart, Dustpaw becomes jealous and is disgusted when Fireheart brings his kittypet nephew, Cloudkit, to ThunderClan. He earns his warrior name, Dustpelt, after fighting bravely against Brokenstar's rogues. Dustpelt often shows support for Tigerclaw, but when Tigerclaw is exiled from ThunderClan after trying to kill Bluestar, it is revealed that Tigerclaw had killed Redtail, and Tigerclaw asks Dustpelt to come with him, to which Dustpelt angrily refuses. He becomes the mentor to Ashpaw and is friendly with Ashpaw's sister, Fernpaw. Dustpelt respects Firestar's rise to leadership and participates in the battle against BloodClan.
- "Firestar rested his tail-tip on the brown warrior's shoulder, in a vain attempt to comfort him. Dustpelt briefly pushed his nose into his leader's flame-colored fur. Leafpaw felt her throat tighten to see the two cats, who had never been friends, brought close together by their shared grief."
- ―Firestar comforting Dustpelt after Larchkit's death
- When Graystripe is taken by Twolegs, Dustpelt insists that a new deputy must be appointed to lessen the burden on Firestar. He also takes part in the Great Journey, along with the rest of the Clans. Dustpelt joins the rest of ThunderClan in their battle against Mudclaw having formed a rebellion against Onestar and WindClan. and the battle against the badgers. However, he becomes increasingly dissatisfied with the acceptance of fresh blood in ThunderClan.
- "ShadowClan has already tried to take territory from us because we are no longer a pure forest-born Clan"
- ―Dustpelt after Millie refuses a warrior name Dark River, page 87
- "Ferncloud? Ferncloud! Don't just stare! Get Jayfeather... Why didn't you protect her?"
- ―Dustpelt after seeing that Ferncloud is dead The Last Hope, page 318
- In Firestar's Quest, Dustpelt has become mates with Ferncloud, and the two have their first litter of kits, Shrewkit and Spiderkit. When Firestar and Sandstorm leave to find SkyClan, Dustpelt takes over the training of Sandstorm's apprentice, Sorrelpaw.
- In Bramblestar's Storm, Dustpelt is broken by grief from the loss of Ferncloud, but refuses to retire, believing that the work will keep his mind off of her death. He assists his Clan in surviving the Great Storm and tests the apprentices on their knowledge of the warrior code. In the ThunderClan-ShadowClan battle against the badgers, Dustpelt fights with fury, dying a warrior's death, but he is reunited with his kin in StarClan. Bramblestar notes out that though the former warrior reunited with his kin, he found it so hard to move on from Ferncloud after the Great Battle.
- In Graystripe's Vow, Dustpelt is one of Graystripe's main oppositions for his plan with Gremlin, a BloodClan cat. Dustpelt is also one of the cats suggested to help Graystripe as a temporary ThunderClan deputy while Firestar is away, although he claims to have no knowledge of Ashfur's constant pressuring of Graystripe to select him. While uneasy about Gremlin and BloodClan, Dustpelt eventually warms up to the idea of it and becomes a valuable asset to Graystripe as he struggles to lead ThunderClan in Firestar's absence.
- In Redtail's Debt, Dustpaw desperately wants to accompany Redtail to mark Sunningrocks. However, Redtail insists that it's too dangerous for apprentices, but Dustpaw refutes that his brother, Ravenpaw, is going. Redtail doesn't budge, and Dustpaw begrudgingly stays. At Sunningrocks, Redtail is killed by Tigerclaw, leaving Dustpaw without a mentor.
- In Dovewing's Silence, Dustpelt refuses to leave the body of Ferncloud. He blames their son, Birchfall, who had betrayed the Clans by training in the Dark Forest, for her death, and refuses to let him see his mother. His other son, Foxleap, also dies soon after of his wounds. Dustpelt refuses to forgive the Dark Forest trainees, even when they swear an oath of loyalty.
The pixel artwork is an interpretation based upon canon material.
The pixel artwork is an interpretation based upon canon material.
Please do not edit this gallery
|Dustpelt's warrior ceremony|
- Dustpelt's parents are Fuzzypelt and Robinwing, and his siblings are Frostfur, Brindleface, and Ravenpaw. His mate is Ferncloud, and their children are Shrewpaw, Spiderleg, Hollykit, Larchkit, Birchfall, Foxleap, and Icecloud. For more of Dustpelt's family, click here!
- Bluestar's Prophecy
- Redtail's Debt
- Into the Wild (First appearance)
- Fire and Ice
- Forest of Secrets
- Rising Storm
- Tigerclaw's Fury
- A Dangerous Path
- The Darkest Hour
- Blackfoot's Reckoning (Allegiance only)
- A Shadow in RiverClan (Mentioned only)
- Firestar's Quest
- Graystripe's Vow (Then)
- Shattered Peace (Flashback only)
- A Clan in Need
- Mothwing's Secret (Allegiance only)
- Winds of Change
- Leafpool's Wish (Mentioned only)
- The Sight
- Dark River
- Long Shadows
- Hollyleaf's Story (Allegiance only)
- The Fourth Apprentice
- Mistystar's Omen (Allegiance only)
- Fading Echoes
- Night Whispers
- Sign of the Moon
- The Forgotten Warrior
- Ravenpaw's Farewell (Mentioned only)
- The Last Hope
- Dovewing's Silence
- Crowfeather's Trial
- Bramblestar's Storm †
- The Apprentice's Quest (Mentioned only)
- Squirrelflight's Hope
- Graystripe's Vow (Now) (Mentioned only)
- Secrets of the Clans (Retconned)
- Cats of the Clans (Mentioned only)
- Code of the Clans
- Battles of the Clans
- The Ultimate Guide (Mentioned only)
- The Clans Decide
- Cherith has said Dustpelt was snarky with Firestar at first because he liked Sandstorm, but she loved Firestar, and not him.
- Dustpelt has been mistakenly called light brown.
- In the British edition of Rising Storm, Dustpelt isn't listed in the allegiances.
- He has been mistakenly called Dustpaw despite already receiving his warrior name.
- His name has been mistakenly spelt as 'Dusltpelt'.
The following information is from sources considered non-canon or retconned.
- In Secrets of the Clans, a 2007 field guide, Dustpelt tells the reader of the time the Clans got their new Gathering place at the lake. He remembers seeing the island when they first arrive at the lake, and mentions that Hawkfrost wanted it as a RiverClan camp, but that StarClan had other plans for it. They sent a storm to knock down a tree and kill Mudclaw, and in so doing, provided a way for them all to get to the island. Dustpelt explains that it proved Onewhisker was the rightful leader of WindClan. The leaders now look down from the great oak tree, and it's a strong and safe place, belonging to all the Clans.
- In The Clans Decide, Dustpelt votes for each Clan to follow their own leader, telling Firestar that he is ThunderClan's leader and only ThunderClan's leader. Firestar knows his vote showed more loyalty to Firestar than if he voted for Firestar to lead as Dustpelt had not always supported Firestar's authority. Brightheart, Cloudtail, and Thornclaw agree with Dustpelt and vote the same. Eventually, Firestar leads all the Clans temporarily.
- "I'm surprised such heroes even feel the cold!"
- ―Dustpaw about Fireheart and Graystripe Fire and Ice, page 8
- Dustpelt: "I don't want so much as a mouse to get in and out."
- Spiderpaw: "What, not even cats?"
- Starlight, page 178
- Dustpelt: "Are you completely mouse-brained? Don't you think there's a reason kits stay in the nursery with their mother until they're apprenticed?"
- Birchkit: "I'm sorry."
- Starlight, pages 214-215
- Dustpelt: "Stay on the moor from now on!"
- Ashfoot: "Firestar gave us these woods! If you have a quarrel about us hunting on them, take it up with him!"
- Dark River, pages 233-234
- "Dustpelt? The dusky tom often argued with Firestar, but Lionblaze suspected the two warriors relished their disagreements, sparking off each other and never holding grudges."
- ―Lionblaze's thoughts about who could be in the Dark Forest Fading Echoes, page 233
- "Firestar! When you see her, tell Ferncloud I love her."
- ―Dustpelt to Firestar's spirit after Ferncloud dies The Last Hope, page 324
- "I will never leave Ferncloud’s side again. I should have been with her. She should never have been left to fight Brokenstar alone."
- ―Dustpelt about Ferncloud Dovewing's Silence, page Chapter 1
- Bramblestar: "Hold on, Dustpelt. We'll get help."
- Dustpelt: "It’s okay. It’s my time."
- Bramblestar's Storm, pages 426-427
- "He found it so hard to go on without Ferncloud, and now they're together again."
- ―Bramblestar's thoughts on Dustpelt after he reunites with Ferncloud Bramblestar's Storm, page 428
- Dustpelt: "You were always so impatient. But you were a quick learner."
- Squirrelflight: "I had to be! You had so much to teach me."
- Squirrelflight's Hope, page 354
Notes and references
- Revealed in Bramblestar's Storm, page 427
- Revealed in Into the Wild, allegiances
- Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 289
- Revealed in Into the Wild, page 15
- Revealed on the
- Revealed in Fire and Ice, page 280
- Revealed in Dawn, page 56
- Revealed in Into the Wild, page 52
- Revealed in Rising Storm, allegiances
- Revealed in Midnight, allegiances
- Revealed in The Sight, page 9
- Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 93
- Revealed in The Sight, page 53
- Revealed in The Sight, page 307
- Revealed in The Sight, page 58
- Revealed in Bramblestar's Storm, page 286
- Revealed in Erin Hunter Chat 1
- Revealed in A Dangerous Path, page 211
- Revealed in British edition of Rising Storm, allegiances
- Revealed in Rising Storm, page 208
- Revealed in Dark River, page 264
- Revealed in Secrets of the Clans
- Revealed in The Clans Decide