An aging warrior, queen, or medicine cat may retire as an elder due to own initiative, when they feel they cannot help the Clan efficiently any more (such as Mousefur or Speckletail). A cat may also retire if they are hindered from serving their Clan through old age (such as Poppydawn), illness (Tawnyspots), or injury (Stonepelt). They report this to the Clan leader, who calls a Clan meeting and addresses the warrior.
- Leader: (Warrior), is it your wish to give up the name of a warrior and go to join the elders?
- Warrior: It is.
- Leader: Your Clan honors you and all the service you have given to us. I call upon StarClan to give you many moons of rest.
The Clan will call out the retired warrior's name and then they will go to the elder's den. An elder may receive a completely different name, with a different ceremony, than keeping their warrior name; in ThunderClan, there were the elders Halftail and One-eye, who originally had different warrior names. This ceremony is also used for other reasons, such as changing Lostface's name to Brightheart.
References and Citations
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 386
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 494
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 142
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Revealed in A Dangerous Path, page 101
- ↑ Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 312
- ↑ Revealed in A Dangerous Path, page 100
- ↑ Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, pages 387-388
- ↑ Revealed in The Darkest Hour, pages 107-108
- ↑ Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 387
|Hierarchy and positions in the Warriors world|
|Clan Hierarchy||Kits • Apprentices • Warriors • Deputies • Leaders • Queens • Elders • Medicine cats • Mediators|
|Ceremonies||Vigil • Apprentice • Warrior • Deputy • Leader • Elder • Medicine cat • Name changing|
|Tribe Hierarchy||To-bes • Cave-guards • Prey hunters • Kit mothers • Healer/Stoneteller|
|Miscellaneous||General Clan information • General Tribe information • Cat names|
|Other Groups||Loners • Rogues|