|"I used to trust you completely, Crowfeather. I was pleased when Onestar chose you to mentor Featherpaw. But now—now I wonder if your carelessness contributed to Breezepelt's foolishness. I thought his problems were being overblown by some cats, but now I look at you differently. I'm not sure either of us will ever trust you again. You could've gotten Featherpaw killed!"|
|— Emberfoot to Crowfeather after Featherpaw is injured in Crowfeather's Trial, page 187|
Emberfoot is a gray tom with two darker gray paws.
Emberfoot is a WindClan warrior who has served under Onestar's and Harestar's leaderships in the lake territories. As a warrior, he mentored Sunstrike and Smokehaze, and participated in multiple battles, including the Great Battle, WindClan's struggle against the stoats, a skirmish with Darktail's rogues, and the battle against the Sisters. He fathered two kits with his mate, Sedgewhisker: Featherpelt and Larkwing. Emberfoot has shown support for the exile of the codebreakers in order to regain StarClan's approval.
In the Power of Three arc
- "[Hollypaw] stared in terror as two warriors—Weaselfur and Emberfoot—streaked from the gloom, heading straight for her. Their eyes gleamed with hunger for blood."
- —Emberfoot during an ambush on ThunderClan Eclipse, page 191
In the Omen of the Stars arc
- Emberfoot is seen with Gorsetail, Furzepelt, and several ShadowClan warriors, forming a ragged line of defense during the Great Battle. Not long after, Emberfoot fights off Dark Forest cats with Robinwing and Ferretclaw. He presses his spine against Robinwing's and Ferretclaw's while lashing out at their foes. In the midst of the battle, his patrol vanishes beneath many bristling warriors. Graystripe helps Emberfoot by hauling a matted tortoiseshell from his back. He recovers and continues to fight.
In the A Vision of Shadows arc
- A WindClan patrol consisting of Emberfoot, Onestar, Furzepelt, and Oatclaw are attacked by Darktail's rogues. They are assisted by ThunderClan, and Emberfoot fights a muscular white tom alongside Bramblestar. As the skirmish ends, Lionblaze and Birchfall stand protectively in front of Emberfoot and Furzepelt. They stare at the retreating rogues, their eyes glittering with fury. Alderpaw treats Emberfoot's injuries, and when Furzepelt dies, Emberfoot is shocked, disbelief edging his mew.
- He travels with his Clanmates back to ThunderClan's camp, as he and Oatclaw are too injured to return home. Emberfoot questions what will happen to Furzepelt, and Bramblestar orders Cloudtail and Rosepetal to guard her body until a WindClan patrol can retrieve it. Alderpaw and Jayfeather wash herb pulp into Emberfoot's wounds, and the two WindClan warriors stay in ThunderClan's care for a few days. At the next Gathering, Emberfoot supports Onestar's criticism of ShadowClan for allowing Darktail to become a threat, saying that ShadowClan cats are traitors to the Clans.
- Later, when ThunderClan's medicine cats visit WindClan territory seeking lungwort for ShadowClan, Emberfoot is on patrol with Gorsetail. Leafpool calls out a greeting to them, but the WindClan cats glare at her with anger in their gazes. Emberfoot asks why they are there, and the pair say it's medicine cat business. The WindClan warriors begrudgingly take them to their camp, and when Breezepelt questions their presence, and Emberfoot replies that they need to speak with Kestrelflight.
- Emberfoot trains his second apprentice, Smokepaw, during the time WindClan has closed their borders. When ThunderClan comes to inform WindClan of the existence of SkyClan, they are confronted by a WindClan patrol, including Emberfoot. The patrol is hostile towards the ThunderClan cats, but eventually allow them to speak with Onestar.
- "Your clumsiness cost us prey. We were stalking a pigeon, but when you made all that noise falling in, it flew away."
- —Emberfoot to Twigpaw River of Fire, page 64
- During a Gathering, Emberfoot exchanges gossip with with Oatclaw and Harrybrook.
In The Broken Code arc
- "We need leaders who will make StarClan come back."
- —Emberfoot at a Gathering The Silent Thaw, page 267
In the Super Editions
- "If any stoat tries to invade WindClan territory, it'll be the last thing it ever does."
- —Emberfoot about the stoats Crowfeather's Trial, pages 65-66
- When Heathertail asks Breezepelt if he's sure about joining them in the next attack, Emberfoot adds that they are really tough. During the attack, Emberfoot's daughter, Featherpaw, is seriously injured. Emberfoot blames this on her mentor, Crowfeather, believing he gave her the idea to go, and he harshly berates the tom. When Featherpaw wakes up, Emberfoot and Sedgewhisker crouch beside her nest, relief in their eyes. They slip out of the den to get wet moss and a mouse for her and return as Crowfeather is leaving the den. Emberfoot makes amends with him, but asks that he be a bit more careful with their training in the future. When Crowfeather affirms this, Emberfoot gives him an approving nod before going in to see his daughter.
- Emberfoot is seen lying on his side, bleeding from a deep scratch down his flank after the stoats attacked WindClan's camp, while Crowfeather, Heathertail, Gorsetail, Breezepelt, and Hootpaw were away rescuing Nightcloud. As the patrol approaches, Emberfoot lifts his head, giving them an angry glare and yowls to Onestar that they're back. Emberfoot joins the final battle against the stoats and fights with the help of Mousewhisker.
- At a Gathering, Onestar announces that Sedgewhisker is expecting Emberfoot's kits, and the she-cat leans on her mate lovingly.
- "You'd rather see war in the Clans than chase a few rogues from land they don't even want?"
- —Emberfoot to Leafstar Squirrelflight's Hope, page 282
= Gender Unknown
- "Most warriors don't see dead cats. They're going to find this hard to believe. Can you imagine old warriors like Thornclaw or Emberfoot swallowing the idea of two Bramblestars—one dead and one alive?"
- —Tree about Emberfoot The Silent Thaw, page 135
- "I know you do your best to train Featherpaw. If you could just…in the future…be a bit more careful?"
- —Emberfoot to Crowfeather Crowfeather's Trial, page 235
- Despite many WindClan cats despising Breezepelt in the aftermath of the Great Battle, Emberfoot is noted to have defended the black tom. When his Clanmates began to wonder if Breezepelt could have killed Nightcloud when the she-cat goes missing, Emberfoot finds it nonsensical.
Sedgewhisker, Featherpelt, and Larkwing
- "Emberfoot and Sedgewhisker exchanged a glance of mingled grief and fury. Crouching down beside her kit, Sedgewhisker began to lick the clotted blood from Featherpaw's fur, while Emberfoot stroked her shoulder with the tip of his tail."
- —Emberfoot and Sedgewhisker caring for Featherpaw Crowfeather's Trial, page 186
- Eclipse (First appearance)
- Long Shadows (Allegiance only)
- Sunrise (Allegiance only)
- Hollyleaf's Story (Allegiance only)
- The Fourth Apprentice (Allegiance only)
- Mistystar's Omen (Allegiance only)
- Fading Echoes (Allegiance only)
- Night Whispers (Allegiance only)
- Sign of the Moon (Allegiance only)
- The Forgotten Warrior (Allegiance only)
- The Last Hope
- Dovewing's Silence (Allegiance only)
- Crowfeather's Trial
- Bramblestar's Storm
- The Apprentice's Quest (Allegiance only)
- Thunder and Shadow
- Shattered Sky
- Darkest Night (Allegiance only)
- Tigerheart's Shadow (Allegiance only)
- River of Fire
- Tawnypelt's Clan (Allegiance only)
- The Raging Storm
- Squirrelflight's Hope
- Lost Stars (Allegiance only)
- The Silent Thaw
- Veil of Shadows (Allegiance only)
- (Indirect mention only)
- (Indirect mention only)
- (Allegiance only)
- (Allegiance only)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Revealed in Eclipse, allegiances
- ↑ Revealed in Shattered Sky, page 30
- ↑ Revealed in Bramblestar's Storm, page 57
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Revealed in Crowfeather's Trial, chapter 15
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Revealed in Lost Stars, allegiances
- ↑ Revealed in Thunder and Shadow, pages chapters 4, 18-19
- ↑ Revealed in Crowfeather's Trial
- ↑ Revealed in The Silent Thaw
- ↑ Revealed in Crowfeather's Trial, chapter 18
- ↑ Revealed in The Silent Thaw, chapter 19
- ↑ Revealed in Crowfeather's Trial, chapter 7
- ↑ Revealed in Crowfeather's Trial, chapter 10
- ↑ Revealed in Bramblestar's Storm, chapter 5
- ↑ Revealed in Crowfeather's Trial, chapter 2
|Warriors||Nightcloud • Emberfoot • Leaftail • Breezepelt • Heathertail • Sedgewhisker (Flutterpaw) • Slightfoot • Oatclaw • Larkwing • Crouchfoot (Songpaw) • Hootwhisker (Whistlepaw) • Fernstripe • Featherpelt • Brindlewing (Applepaw)|
|Apprentices||Woodpaw • Applepaw • Whistlepaw • Songpaw • Flutterpaw|
|Elders||Whiskernose • Gorsetail|