|"The other cats already look up to you. If you hadn't escaped on your own in the first place, none of the others would be free now. You became their leader the moment you broke out of the den and went for help. Now you must be a cat worth following."|
|— Graystripe to Fang in Graystripe's Vow, page 397|
Fang is the current deputy of WarriorClan under Monkeystar's leadership in the old forest where RiverClan's old territory used to be. He was born a kittypet as Honeysuckle to Gremlin and an unnamed tom alongside two unnamed kits. After the death of his mother and the subsequent treatment of him and several other kittypets by their Twoleg, Honeysuckle escaped and renamed himself Fang, seeking out Graystripe, a ThunderClan cat, to ask for his help. Despite helping the others escape the Twoleg nest, his mate, Daffodil, chose to remain behind, devastating Fang. Graystripe advised Fang over his heartbreak and was later made the first deputy of WarriorClan by Graystripe under Monkeystar.
- 1 History
- 2 Character pixels
- 3 Official art
- 4 Personality
- 5 Relationships
- 6 Family
- 7 Appearances
- 8 Trivia
- 9 Quotes
- 10 Notes and references
In the Super Editions
- "My mother told me you once made a vow to her, that you would do anything to help her, no matter what. […] Does that vow extend to Gremlin's kits? Because I could do with a warrior's help right now..."
- ―Fang to Graystripe Graystripe's Vow, pages 236-237
- Fang reaches the the Tribe, asking for Graystripe, but the prey-hunters do not know who Graystripe is. Graystripe's son, Stormfur, is puzzled by Fang asking about his father, and the dark gray tom brings this incident up to Graystripe when he comes to visit the Tribe on his wander. Graystripe, bewildered, wonders who the strange cat looking for him could be, and thinks it could be one of Firestar's kittypet friends in the old forest, or the loners he met when he traveled with Millie to the lake. Stormfur asks why the strange cat would be looking for his father, and Graystripe agrees with Stormfur's question, saying why would they.
- On his way to the Moonstone, Graystripe meets Fang. The gray-patched tom came as a newcomer toward Graystripe and WarriorClan, who are hostile, and Graystripe mutters to the unnamed cat that they are only passing through. However, the newcomer said he doesn't want trouble, and asks if the gray-striped elder's name is Graystripe. He adds that Graystripe looks like the way he was described too, and Graystripe wonders if this is the cat looking for him on the forest territory, after many seasons. Graystripe feels there is something similar to Fang, but he can't recall ever meeting the tom before. Fang tells him that he doesn't know him, but Graystripe knew his mother, Gremlin, and asks if Graystripe's vow to Gremlin extends to her kits, needing a warrior's help.
- As WarriorClan remains hostile toward Fang, Graystripe realizes that Fang must be the cat who was looking for him. Fang admits he escaped his Twoleg den a moon prior and was looking for Graystripe ever since. Though Graystripe thinks that Fang wants to join ThunderClan, Fang says he wants to go back to the Twoleg den. He tells that things are bad there, and cats he cares about are still there, such as his mate, Daffodil. He adds that Daffodil smells strange and has trouble breathing, and that he is desperate for Graystripe's help. Graystripe thinks Fang is out of options, and at first, he disagrees in helping Fang, as he thinks it could be dangerous, but promises to help him after they travel to the Moonstone, as his promise to Gremlin extends to her kits.
- Fang accompanies WarriorClan and Graystripe on his journey to the Moonstone, and Graystripe sees the resemblance of Fang to his mother, Gremlin. When asked if he is hungry, Fang tells Graystripe no, but with some pressuring, Fang admits he's starving. Graystripe sees why the gray tom is so skinny due to being hungry. Graystripe catches a rabbit, and WarriorClan, Fang, and Graystripe share it, with Graystripe hoping he doesn't disappoint Fang. Four cats of WarriorClan leave to go back to their nests, and the rest, including Graystripe, Fang, Clawwhistle, and Monkeystar, reach the Moonstone. Graystripe refuses to let Fang nor Monkeystar and Clawwhistle enter, and Fang asks who StarClan is, as it seems all strange to him. Graystripe tells him StarClan is the Clans' ancestors, where the cats they loved deeply were alive and now guide them. As Graystripe enters the Moonstone, Monkeystar tells him give them a yowl if he needs them, and Fang says they'll be ready.
- The Moonstone shatters, and Fang questions Graystripe what happened. Monkeystar then suggests going to Barley, who they call a "wise cat". As they head to Barley's farm, Fang asks Graystripe if he is his father, to which Graystripe sadly replies he's not, as his mother and Graystripe were never mates. Disappointment washes in Fang's expression after Graystripe's response, his tail drooping. Graystripe wonders if he said yes, but knows that somewhere, they both would have paid the price for that lie. Graystripe hopes one day Fang will find his real father, like he found him. Fang is introduced to Barley by Graystripe, the two greeting each other. Fang helps hunt in the barn and catches four mice, pride flaring his chest.
- Fang asks Barley if he knew his mother, and Barley tells him he did. Barley says that his mother was part of a harsh, violent Clan, but had a good heart, and loved her brother, Scraps, very much; she also loved her kits more than anything. The next morning, Fang recalls his mission after hearing more stories of Gremlin, just like his mother did then. He asks if Graystripe knew how Gremlin died, and when Graystripe replies no, Fang tells him how Gremlin was happy with their Twoleg and the other kittypets, such as Petunia. He adds that he had two other siblings, but the Twoleg gave them to other Twolegs, and he used to see them sometimes in their gardens. He then says that as the Twoleg got older, she got sick and began shutting the cats in, forgetting to let them out. Fang informs Graystripe that one day Gremlin got a cough, and there was nothing to get to help her, and he says that before Gremlin died, she told him to find a way out and help the others, in which he kept his promised.
- He becomes more desperate to help his trapped kittypet friends and is convinced to stay another night in the barn. Fang questions Graystripe the next morning when he didn't wake him early, but Graystripe cuts him off, bringing him a couple of mice. Afterwards, Graystripe tells Monkeystar and Clawwhistle to watch over Barley while Fang and him travel to his den. After they arrive, Graystripe is in disbelief by the looks of it, and Fang tells him that there are ten, or maybe fifteen cats in there; he says it's hard to keep track due to so many kits being born. Fang tries to make a plan with Graystripe to get into the den, though it seems not to work, but Graystripe is still optimistic to get in. Eventually, Fang assists Graystripe getting inside the Twoleg den, but Graystripe gets trapped, and Fang gazes up, his eyes widening in alarm.
- Fang tries not to panic, but Graystripe reassures him. Graystripe sees the other cats, sickly and tired, inside, and Petunia states that Fang, as Honeysuckle, got lucky when he escaped. Graystripe realizes that Honeysuckle must have been Fang's kittypet name. Graystripe tells Fang it's no use, and that he'll think of something. Daffodil asks how Fang is doing, and Graystripe replies that he is trying to get them out of there. At first, Graystripe thinks that Fang abandoned them, but Fang returns with WarriorClan to help them. With WarriorClan, they were all able to free the trapped kittypets and Graystripe. As they see a male Twoleg, they all head out so the Twoleg doesn't see them. Fang reassures to the kittypets that they will teach them what they need to know out in the wild. The group of cats struggle getting out of there, and Lily wants them to all stay together. Daffodil then reveals to Fang that she can't go with him due to her sickness. Fang struggles to deny her, claiming she is stronger than she looks, and she tells him they have to go on without her. He's willing to risk it all for her, as long as he's with her. After some convincing, Fang says his good-byes to Daffodil after she stays behind with some of the other older cats, such as Sunflower, leaving Fang heartbroken. He is rigid in misery as he sees his former mate leaving.
- As new Twolegs show up, he says they are not harmful. As the group settles down for the night, Fang murmurs to Graystripe, wondering how he can go on in life, as after his mother died, Daffodil was the only cat who made living in the old den bearable. He wonders how he can cope, and Graystripe thinks he should tell him that life is long, wondering how to say it. He later advices Fang over his heartbreak with Daffodil, saying how heartbreaks and setbacks are like enemies, and if he fights them, he can leave it behind him. He adds that his memories with Daffodil will be more of a comfort as time goes on. Afterwards, Fang is made deputy by Graystripe under Monkeystar. Though unsure at first, he is reassured by Graystripe, as WarriorClan already looks up to him. He promises he will do his best, but questions Graystripe about not having StarClan, and Graystripe realizes that the Clans can live without StarClan, due to WarriorClan living without StarClan.
- After making Petunia the medicine cat, Graystripe decides to go home, and Fang asks if he is sure he doesn't want to stay with them. Graystripe replies he is sure, but also says that if he stays, cats would look up to him instead of Fang or Monkeystar. The two part ways, and Graystripe admits he would have been proud to call Fang his son, with Fang saying he'll never forget him.
- A moon later, Monkeystar is worried about Fang supposedly wanting to take over leadership instead of her, thinking he is a better leader than she is. He suggests going on the patrol with Monkeystar, Lily, and Clawwhistle, but Monkeystar wants him to stay in camp, and he says he is better at fighting than any other cat on the patrol. After Monkeystar, Lily, and Petunia head back from the Moonstone, Fang notes that Petunia is happier than he has seen, and tells Monkeystar she is going to make a fine leader.
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
- "That's why I made you deputy. You have experience living in the wild; you know how to hunt, and you're strong. Without you and your initiative and good sense, we would never have shifted that branch so we could escape from the den. If you can do that, I guess that in a pinch you could fight off a fox or a badger, and teach the others, too."
- ―Graystripe reassuring Fang Graystripe's Vow, page 397
- He is rather impatient in situations, especially in helping the cats that are trapped in the Twoleg den, and feeling desperate to help them. When his mate decides to remain behind from the group, Fang is willing to risk his life for his mate, wanting to stay with her, but becomes heartbroken when she convinces him to leave without her, splitting up. He doubts himself after he is made deputy, but Graystripe reassures him, that due to his initiative and good sense, they would never have escaped the Twoleg den. He is respectful of Monkeystar, not challenging her decisions, and reassures her that she will make a fine leader.
- "Then [Gremlin] died. But just before she did, she told me that I had to find a way out—that I had to help the others to escape, too. I promised her that I would, and now I have to fulfill that promise, no matter what it takes!"
- ―Fang to Graystripe about helping the trapped cats Graystripe's Vow, page 303
- Fang: "Well, I'll miss you, Graystripe. And I'll never forget you. You've been like a father to me."
- Graystripe: "And I'd have been proud to have called you my son."
- Graystripe's Vow, page 403
- Fang, as a strange cat, was looking for Graystripe, but first encountered the Tribe, though they did not know Graystripe's whereabouts. Stormfur told Graystripe of this incident, and Graystripe wondered who could be looking for him and why. He finally met Graystripe and WarriorClan when he found him wandering to the Moonstone. Fang asked Graystripe if the tom's vow made to Gremlin extended to her kits, as he needed his help. Fang told Graystripe of what had been going on back at the Twoleg den, and he wanted Graystripe's help. Graystripe, however, thought it was dangerous, but eventually, he promised to help Fang. Graystripe offered Fang prey, with Fang finally admitting he was hungry, despite saying he was fine. Fang asked Graystripe if he was his father, but Graystripe denied it, as his mother and him weren't mates. Graystripe wished it were true, but if he lied, both of them would pay a price for that lie. At the sight of seeing Fang get cheered up with stories of his mother, Graystripe felt more determined to him.
- Fang told Graystripe of his origins back in the Twoleg den and how Gremlin died, asking if the gray warrior was going to keep his promise. Graystripe felt offended at thought of Fang expecting him to go back on his word, and he realized that Fang had no experience of an honorable warrior. Graystripe replied that he would help Fang, but had to be a little more patient, but Fang seemed to be impatient, desperate to help the trapped cats. Graystripe realized how tired Fang was and wondered if he should let him sleep, as he would have a long day ahead of him. The two headed to Fang's den, and they arrived and got inside, though Graystripe got trapped, with Fang widening his eyes in alarm. Graystripe reassured Fang's mate, Daffodil, of Fang's whereabouts, saying that he was trying to find a way out for them to get out of there, and after thinking Fang left them, he returned with WarriorClan to help them escape. Graystripe then thanked WarriorClan and Fang for their rescue.
- Graystripe advised Fang over his heartbreak with Daffodil, stating that heartbreaks and setbacks were like enemies, and that when you'd be strong enough to fight them, the important thing would be not let them follow you. He added that he needed to keep moving forward, so that he was putting his loss and grief behind him. Fang replied that he didn't think he could forget Daffodil, and Graystripe told him he could never want him to forget the precious memories. He later made Fang deputy, knowing he had WarriorClan to look after and their new friends from the Twoleg den. Though Fang was unsure, Graystripe reassured him that the others already looked up to him, and that he must be a cat worth following, due to him breaking and escaping the den. Fang didn't want Graystripe to leave, but respected his decision. The two parted ways, and Graystripe admitted he would have been proud to call Fang his son, and Fang told him he would never forget him.
- "I don't think I can go on like this. After my mother died, Daffodil was the only cat who made living in that horrible Twoleg den bearable. I don't know how I'll cope, knowing that I'll never see her again."
- ―Fang mourning Daffodil Graystripe's Vow, page 391
- Fang mourned Daffodil since his split up with her, and he wondered how he could go on without her. Graystripe then gave him advice over heartbreak and setbacks, since he experienced it, and he told him to share the memories he had with Daffodil and let those comfort him. Fang thought it would be hard.
- "You can and you will. These cats will be your responsibility. I couldn't tell Monkeystar she's not leader anymore, but you know these cats best. You'll be the cat in charge of them. They'll be your Clan."
- ―Graystripe to Fang about WarriorClan Graystripe's Vow, page 396
- Graystripe made Fang deputy of WarriorClan under Monkeystar, and the tortoiseshell-and-white she-cat was excited to have a deputy, as she never had one before. Graystripe also stated that WarriorClan looked up to him, and he became the leader in the moment he escaped the Twoleg den. After leaving Graystripe, Fang stood beside Monkeystar, his new place as deputy.
- A moon later, Monkeystar was worried if Fang wanted to be leader instead, but liked having him as her deputy, as it was the right move. He also respected Monkeystar's decisions, as she wanted him to stay in camp rather than going with her and the others to find Petunia. After coming home with Petunia, Fang told Monkeystar she would make a fine leader, and that he'd never seen Petunia looking happier.
= Gender Unknown
- Graystripe's Vow (First appearance)
- One of Fang's forelegs is described with having a patch of torn fur, close to his paw.
- Fang looks exactly like his mother, Gremlin.
- Monkeystar: "Awesome! A fight!"
- Graystripe: "We don't want any trouble. We're just passing through."
- Graystripe's Vow, pages 235-236
- "Things are really very bad there. I was only able to escape because the Twoleg a hole in the door just big enough for me to slip through. Once I was outside, I wanted to save every other cat, but I couldn't work out how to do it. But there are still cats I care about in there. My mate, Daffodil, is there, and she's ill. She smells strange, and she's having trouble breathing. So that's why I need your help, Graystripe. Please—I'm desperate."
- ―Fang begging Graystripe for his help Graystripe's Vow, page 246
- "If I can repay [Gremlin] by helping her kit, I want to do it. It's no more than she deserves."
- ―Graystripe thinking about Fang and Gremlin Graystripe's Vow, page 247
- Fang: "There's something I have to know."
- Graystripe: "Okay. Spit it out."
- Graystripe's Vow, pages 281-282
- Fang: "You don't know how strong you are, Daffodil. You can make it. I believe in you!"
- Daffodil: "You have to go on without me. I know how badly all of you wanted to be free. And if I hold you back, you might be trapped along with me."
- Graystripe's Vow, pages 385-386
- Graystripe: "Try not to be too sad. Daffodil was so sick, and she might not have survived out here. She made a heroic decision, to stay behind so that other cats could have their freedom. She's truly a brave cat."
- Fang: "I know that's true. But right now, I almost wish she weren't. What I keep thinking about was the kind of life she and I had planned to have when we were free. We so wanted to have kits together. And now...I don't know what I'm going to do without her."
- Graystripe's Vow, pages 393-394
- "Nominating Fang to be my deputy was the right move. But...what if he'd be a better leader than I am? What if he decides he wants to be leader? What would I do if he challenged me? I don't know."
- ―Monkeystar worrying over Fang Graystripe's Vow, page manga
- "I haven't seen Petunia looking that happy...well, ever. And it's clear that that was your doing. You're going to make a fine leader, Monkeystar."
- ―Fang complementing Monkeystar Graystripe's Vow, page manga
Notes and references
- Revealed in Graystripe's Vow, page 395
- Revealed in Graystripe's Vow, page 236
- Revealed in Graystripe's Vow, page 301
- Revealed in Graystripe's Vow, page 282
- Revealed in Graystripe's Vow, page 326
- Revealed in Graystripe's Vow, page 245
- Revealed in Graystripe's Vow, manga
- Revealed in Graystripe's Vow, page 305
- Revealed in Graystripe's Vow, page 247
- Revealed in Graystripe's Vow, chapter 19
- Revealed in Graystripe's Vow, chapter 21
- Revealed in Graystripe's Vow, page 304
- Revealed in Graystripe's Vow, chapter 28
- Revealed in Graystripe's Vow, page 397
- Revealed in Graystripe's Vow, pages 236-237
- Revealed in Graystripe's Vow, chapter 23
- Revealed in Graystripe's Vow, page 380
- Revealed in Graystripe's Vow, pages 117-118
- Revealed in Graystripe's Vow, chapter 24
- Revealed in Graystripe's Vow, chapter 29
- Revealed in Graystripe's Vow, page 246
- Revealed in Graystripe's Vow, pages 393-394
- Revealed in Graystripe's Vow, page 235
- Revealed in Graystripe's Vow, pages 385-386
- Revealed in Graystripe's Vow, chapter 16
- Revealed in Graystripe's Vow, page 4
- Revealed in Graystripe's Vow, page 248
|Warriors||Bigteeth • Bugeater • Buttercup • Chester • Clawwhistle • Fireface • Lily • Sandy-colored tom • Tabby-and-white she-cat|
|Kits||Three unnamed kits|