|"This one is for Ferncloud. She was killed by Brokenstar when she was defending the kits in the nursery."|
|— Dewpaw about Ferncloud's mark on the Stick of the Fallen in Bramblestar's Storm, page 18|
Ferncloud was a ThunderClan queen under Firestar's leadership in the forest and lake territories. She was born as Fernkit to Whitestorm and Brindleface alongside Ashkit, and Elderkit and Tulipkit, who both died young. She soon gained Cloudkit as a foster brother after two of her siblings died. During her apprenticeship, Fernpaw was mentored by Darkstripe, and after he was exiled, Longtail became her new mentor. She helped lead the the dog pack away from ThunderClan's camp, and later assisted Cinderpelt during the battle against BloodClan. In the following moons, she earned her warrior name of Ferncloud.
She fell in love with Dustpelt and after their first litter, consisting of Spiderkit and Shrewkit, she opted to stay in the nursery to assist other queens through motherhood as a permanent resident. She and Dustpelt would go on to have two more litters: Birchkit, Larchkit, Hollykit, whom are born in the forest territories, and later Foxkit, and Icekit in the lake territories. Though she spent most of her time in the nursery, she was as brave as any ThunderClan warrior and fought in the Great Battle, in which she died at the paws of Brokenstar. She ascended to StarClan, and her memory was preserved on the Stick of the Fallen. She also appeared at Bramblestar's nine lives ceremony and gave him a life for protecting his Clan.
- 1 History
- 2 Character pixels
- 3 Official art
- 4 Ceremonies
- 5 Personality
- 6 Relationships
- 7 Family
- 8 Appearances
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Quotes
- 11 External links
- 12 Notes
- 13 Notes and references
Looking for a longer overview? Find one here!
- "[Fireheart] looked down at the two apprentices. Their eyes gleamed with fury, grief for their mother momentarily forgotten in their desire to avenge her death."
- ―Fernpaw and Ashpaw before leading away the pack A Dangerous Path, page 298
- After Brindleface is killed by Tigerstar as prey for the pack, Fireheart allows Cloudtail, Ashpaw, and Fernpaw a pivotal role in diverting the dogs away from ThunderClan camp. When Darkstripe is banished for feeding Sorrelkit deathberries, Fernpaw is horrified, and Longtail takes over her mentorship. During the battle against BloodClan, Fernpaw is assigned to help Cinderpelt treat injuries.
- "I can't remember the last time I was full-fed . . . or any other cat in the Clan. Look at Ferncloud. She blames herself because Larchkit died, but it's not her fault at all."
- ―Sorreltail to Leafpaw about Ferncloud's grief Moonrise, page 249
- Dustpelt: "This is ridiculous. I'm perfectly able to go out on patrol."
- Ferncloud: "No, you're not. You're staying here if I have to hold you down."
- Long Shadows, page 152
- Because Squirrelflight's milk doesn't come, Ferncloud is revealed to have suckled Lionkit, Hollykit, and Jaykit, and has given birth to her final litter: Icekit and Foxkit. Before Icepaw and Foxpaw are apprenticed, she catches greencough, but quickly recovers and returns to her warrior duties. However, she decides to return to the nursery to help Daisy raise Toadkit and Rosekit. During the greencough epidemic, Dustpelt is among the diseased cats, and Ferncloud regrets that she cannot be close to him. Though Dustpelt recovers, Ferncloud mourns heavily after her brother, Ashfur, is found murdered. She refuses to believe that a ThunderClan cat could have killed him.
- "Ferncloud thrust Brightheart and the kits deep into their nest as a Dark Forest tom reached through the tattered den wall. She slashed his muzzle, then spun around and grabbed a bunch of bramble stems in her teeth. She dragged them across the top of the nest, covering the she-cat."
- ―Ferncloud protecting Brightheart and her kits The Last Hope, page 302
- In Firestar's Quest, Ferncloud has become mates with Dustpelt, nursing their kits, Spiderkit and Shrewkit. When a badger is scented on ThunderClan territory, Ferncloud frets for the safety of her kits, doubtful of Firestar's decision to temporarily leave the Clan.
- In Bramblestar's Storm, Ferncloud's memory is preserved on the Stick of the Fallen. Dustpelt remains pained by her death, refusing to retire so he can keep his mind off the memory. When he is killed by badgers, Ferncloud and their deceased kits greet him in StarClan.
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
|Fernpaw's apprentice ceremony|
|Fernpaw's second apprentice ceremony|
- Ferncloud is a loving, caring, selfless, and fearless she-cat. She loves her kits and mate, and gave up her life protecting something that meant the most to her, kits. She is still remembered on the stick of the fallen for her bravery, and helped avenge her mother's death, showing that she was brave and fearless despite being an apprentice.
- Ferncloud and Dustpelt have been mates for a very long time and love each other a lot. She became comfortable with Dustpelt as an apprentice and often told him everything. After she became a warrior, they became mates and had three litters of kits. When Ferncloud was killed by Brokenstar, Dustpelt's heart shattered and he couldn't accept that she was dead. When Dustpelt was injured fighting the badgers, Ferncloud came and guided him to StarClan, where his once shattered heart mended.
- Ferncloud loves all her kits. She is devastated when Hollykit and Larchkit die, and was very protective of Birchfall as a kit, showing that she didn't want him to die like his littermates did.
Brindleface and Ashfur
- Ferncloud loves her mother and brother. As an apprentice, she wanted to avenge her mother's death after Tigerstar killed her to lure the dogs. She mourned for her brother after he was murdered and didn't believe a ThunderClan cat killed him.
- Ferncloud respects and cares for her foster brother. Cloudtail would often get them into trouble but she knows that he only wanted to have fun and didn't take as he was doing it on purpose.
- Ferncloud's parents are Brindleface and Whitestorm, her brother is Ashfur, and her foster brother is Cloudtail. Her mate is Dustpelt, and Spiderleg, Shrewpaw, Birchfall, Hollykit, Larchkit, Foxleap, and Icecloud are their children. For more of Ferncloud's family, click here!
- Into the Wild (First appearance; mentioned only)
- Fire and Ice
- Forest of Secrets
- Rising Storm
- Tigerclaw's Fury (Allegiance only)
- A Dangerous Path
- The Darkest Hour
- Blackfoot's Reckoning (Allegiance only)
- A Shadow in RiverClan
- Firestar's Quest
- Graystripe's Vow
- Mothwing's Secret (Allegiance only)
- Leafpool's Wish (Allegiance only)
- The Sight
- Dark River
- Long Shadows
- Hollyleaf's Story (Allegiance only)
- The Fourth Apprentice
- Mistystar's Omen (Allegiance only)
- Fading Echoes
- Night Whispers
- Sign of the Moon (Allegiance only)
- The Forgotten Warrior
- The Last Hope †
- Dovewing's Silence (Mentioned only)
- Bramblestar's Storm
- Squirrelflight's Hope
- The Ultimate Guide
- Vicky has said that Ferncloud's death was the result of fan complaints. Ferncloud was placed into battle, due to Vicky believing that she was capable of fighting just as well as any warrior. Her fierce protection of young Clan cats is what put her in the thick of battle, in the defense of the nursery.
- Either she or her brother, Ashfur, were mistakenly called tawny.
- Ferncloud and Ashfur were mistakenly said to be Cloudtail's adopted littermates, though Brindleface only fostered him.
- Ferncloud was mistakenly described as dark gray, mottled, and with blue eyes.
- "I didn't know what to do. I knew it was wrong, but I didn't want to give them away. Only I've been feeling worse and worse, and so when I saw Dustpelt, I went to tell him."
- ―Fernpaw to Fireheart about Swiftpaw and Brightpaw A Dangerous Path, page 213
- Fernpaw: "Fireheart, we want to help."
- Fireheart: "I said warriors."
- A Dangerous Path, pages 291-292
- "How do we know you didn't just desert the Clan because you couldn't face a hungry leaf-bare with the rest of us?"
- ―Ferncloud when Brambleclaw and Squirrelpaw return from the sun-drown-place Dawn, page 49
- Ferncloud: "Dustpelt, where are you? Brambleclaw, have you seen Dustpelt?"
- Brambleclaw: "No, not yet. Come on, I'll help you look."
- Sunset, page 17
- "That's not true. Even if it was, we can't go back. There'll be nothing left of the old forest by now. Here we have to learn new things. StarClan wouldn't have brought us somewhere that's too dangerous for us to live."
- ―Ferncloud to Goldenflower about the lake territories Sunset, page 76
- "What should we do? We can't let the forest be overrun by foxes! What about my kits?"
- ―Ferncloud frets about her kits' safety The Sight, page 17
- Ferncloud: "Ashfur? Be careful."
- Ashfur: "Don't forget I've outrun a dog pack before."
- The Sight, page 285
- Ferncloud: "I can't stand hearing it and doing nothing."
- Jaypaw: "We need you here in case the camp is attacked again."
- Eclipse, page 200
- (Warrior of the Week #12)
- (Indirect mention only)
- (Mentioned only)
- (Mentioned only)
- Ferncloud's kit name, Fernkit, has only ever been revealed on the Warriors website.
Notes and references
- Revealed in The Last Hope, page 327
- Revealed in Rising Storm, allegiances
- Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 210
- Revealed in Into the Wild, page 227
- Revealed in The Last Hope, page 316
- Revealed in Sunset, page 79
- Revealed in Firestar's Quest, allegiances
- Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 119
- Revealed in Dovewing's Silence, chapter 2
- Revealed in Fire and Ice, page 235
- Revealed in Dawn, page 98
- Revealed in A Shadow in RiverClan, page 53
- Revealed in Moonrise, page 249
- Revealed in Long Shadows, page 152
- Revealed in Bramblestar's Storm, page 18
- Revealed in A Dangerous Path, page 298
- Revealed in A Dangerous Path, page 213
- Revealed in Midnight, allegiances
- Revealed in The Sight, allegiances
- Revealed in The Last Hope, page 318
- Revealed in Bramblestar's Storm, pages 426-427
- Revealed in Long Shadows, chapter 27
- Revealed in Fire and Ice, chapter 28
- Revealed in Bramblestar's Storm, manga
- Revealed in Erin Hunter's Confidential Notes: Choosing Which Cats Would Die.
- Revealed in Forest of Secrets, page 225
- Revealed in Rising Storm, page 12
- Revealed in The Sight, page 52
- Revealed in Rising Storm, page 41
- Revealed in Bramblestar's Storm, page 427