|"With this life I give you love. You have known so much, but still have much to give. Leadership without love will never be enough to draw your Clan from the shadows. Let your heart lead when your head does not know the way. "|
|— Flametail to Tigerheart in Tigerheart's Shadow, page 405|
Flametail was a medicine cat of ShadowClan in the lake territories. He was born as Flamekit to Rowanclaw and Tawnypelt, along with Tigerkit and Dawnkit. Despite wanting to be a medicine cat, he was initially made Flamepaw as a warrior apprentice due to Blackstar's temporary disbelief in StarClan. He assisted in faking a sign from StarClan to regain Blackstar's faith, and Flamepaw and his family rejoined ShadowClan, Flamepaw becoming Littlecloud's apprentice. Later, he earned his medicine cat name, Flametail. While playing on the frozen lake, Flametail fell through the ice and drowned, despite Jayfeather's efforts to save him. Much controversy arose after his death, particularly whether Jayfeather had intended to kill him, which his sister Dawnpelt strongly believed. However, Flametail came to forgive Jayfeather for not being able to save him.
Looking for a longer overview? Find one here!
- "But StarClan really did come. They proved that they are still watching over us, that we should still listen to them and live by the warrior code. They have the Clan's best interests at heart; we have to believe what they say for our own sake."
- —Flamepaw Long Shadows, page 123
- "The warriors maybe. But never the medicine cats. Something's happening inside StarClan. All the Clans will be affected. This time we cannot risk relying on anyone but ourselves."
- —Flametail talking to Rowanclaw about alliances Night Whispers, page 103
- Once in StarClan, Flametail is lured to the Dark Forest. Brokenstar orders Ivypaw to kill him, but Tigerheart prevents her. Dawnpelt accuses Jayfeather of murdering Flametail and he is confined to camp. After finding a burning reed, Jayfeather visits the Moonpool to speak with Flametail, who explains to the other medicine cats that Jayfeather did not kill him. Flametail is not the fourth cat in the prophecy like Jayfeather originally thought, but promises to stand with the Clans in the coming battle.
- In Tigerheart's Shadow, Flametail appears at Tigerheart's nine lives ceremony and gives him the gift of love.
- In Tawnypelt's Clan, Tawnypelt often thinks about her deceased son when she feels out of place in ShadowClan. Tawnypelt reminisces about Flametail when watching over Pouncekit, Lightkit, and Shadowkit, and thinks of him, Dawnpelt, and Rowanclaw.
- Flametail is a lean, orange flame-colored tom with broad shoulders and bright blue eyes.
- Kate believes that if Flametail was still alive during Thunder and Shadow, he would have stay with ShadowClan and turn rogue, as Kate states that "although I like him, but I don't remember him as an outside the box thinker".[blog 1]
- Either he or his brother, Tigerstar, were mentioned as female.
- It is mentioned that Jayfeather, Hollyleaf, Lionblaze, Tigerheart, and Dawnpelt schemed to make a false StarClan prophecy, forgetting to mention that Flametail also helped. This is also mentioned later in the book.
- He is mistakenly called dark ginger and shown as dark ginger on the family tree.
- He is mistakenly shown with green eyes of the cover of Night Whispers and in The Ultimate Guide.
- He is misakenly referred to as a medicine cat apprentice despite being a full medicine cat.
- He is accidentally written as Flame-tail.
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
- "I'll protect my Clan, whatever it takes."
- —Flametail's vow Night Whispers, page 87
- "Flametail screwed up his face, reminding himself that he was lucky to have such affectionate kin. Sometimes at Gatherings, he glimpsed Breezepelt eyeing Crowfeather and Nightcloud with undisguised rage."
- —Narrator Night Whispers, page 185
- "The water would have killed him on its own; he didn't need me as well."
- —Jayfeather on Flametail's death The Forgotten Warrior, page 287
- "Jayfeather didn't kill me! I drowned. Jayfeather was trying to save me. But I was too heavy and the current was too strong. My death was not his fault!"
- —Flametail confessing to the medicine cats that Jayfeather did not murder him The Last Hope, page 188
- "It wasn't fair. It was such a stupid way to die!"
- —Flametail to Jayfeather about his death The Last Hope, page 182
- "What about Flametail, my littermate? You didn’t manage to save him, though, did you?"
- —Tigerstar to Jayfeather The Raging Storm, page chapter 7
- Author Profile: Cherith Baldry on the Warriors official website (Indirect mention only)
- New Cat Profile: Tawnypelt on the Warriors official website (Mentioned only)
- Stand Together or Fall Divided on the Warriors official website (Indirect mention only)
- Clan or Kin? on the Warriors official website (Indirect mention only)
- When Omens Are False on the Warriors official website (Indirect mention only)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Revealed in Night Whispers, page 292
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Revealed in Dark River, allegiances
- ↑ Revealed in Long Shadows, page 89
- ↑ Revealed in Dark River, pages 20-21
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Revealed in Night Whispers, page 282
- ↑ Revealed in Long Shadows, page 77
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Revealed in Sunrise, allegiances
- ↑ Revealed in Night Whispers, allegiances
- ↑ Revealed in The Fourth Apprentice, allegiances
- ↑ Revealed in Long Shadows, page 90
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Revealed in The Last Hope, chapter 16
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Revealed in The Last Hope, page 186
- ↑ Revealed in Night Whispers, page 70
- ↑ Revealed in Tigerheart's Shadow, page 402
- ↑ Revealed in Rising Storm, page 20
- ↑ Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 197
- ↑ Revealed to be a in Erin Hunter Chat 4, undefined
- ↑ Revealed in The Ultimate Guide, page 77
- ↑ Revealed in Long Shadows, page 109
- ↑ Revealed in The Ultimate Guide, page 86
- ↑ Revealed in Outcast, page 128
- ↑ Revealed on the Warriors website family tree
- ↑ File:Flametail.Icon.png
- ↑ Revealed in Lost Stars, page 306
- ↑ Revealed in Night Whispers, chapter 6