|"When the Clans have a common enemy, we unite to defend ourselves. We have to help those cats!"|
|— Foxleap to Swoop about the intruders in Sign of the Moon, page 282|
Foxleap was a ThunderClan warrior under Firestar's leadership in the lake territories. He was born as Foxkit to Ferncloud and Dustpelt alongside his sister, Icekit, and was apprenticed to Squirrelflight as Foxpaw. After becoming a warrior, Foxleap journeyed to the Tribe of Rushing Water as part of a ThunderClan patrol and was nearly killed by an eagle; however, Swoop gave her life to save him. When he returned to the lake, Foxleap mentored Cherryfall and took part in the Great Battle. While Foxleap initially survived, his wounds became infected, causing the tom to lose his life and ascend to StarClan. His memory was preserved on the Stick of the Fallen.
In the Power of Three arc
- "Next time we need leaves, I'm sure Brambleclaw will ask you to help!"
- ―Icekit to Foxkit when he shows off his hunting skills by catching leaves The Sight, page 327
- When Hollypaw becomes a warrior apprentice, she finds Foxkit and Icekit play fighting, and helps them to counter attack each other. When Whitewing runs back to camp, telling them that a dog has attacked WindClan, Ferncloud shields both him and Icekit. Later, Ferncloud catches a sickness, and is forced to leave the nursery, leaving Daisy to take care of the two kits. Later, Foxkit and Icekit are chased by Birchfall and Berrypaw until the cats have to leave for their duties. During the Daylight Gathering, Foxkit and Icekit have to stay in the ThunderClan camp. Ferncloud orders them to catch her a fly, a beetle, and some moss in order to keep them busy. They leave to find these items, quarreling about who will win.
- When the fresh-kill pile is low, Foxkit gets a cold and says that he will eat a stale mouse. Daisy says that he and his sister, Icekit, can only eat warm fresh-kill. The two kits frequently play. When Hollypaw is playing with Cinderpaw after she hurts her leg, he and Icekit ask if they can play too. The game turns into a mock battle and Hollypaw notes that even the kits are ready for battle against WindClan. Later, when the WindClan kits go missing and everyone blames RiverClan, Foxkit and Icekit are willing to fight, only to be shooed into the nursery by Ferncloud, who says they would only get in other cats' way.
- Foxkit and Icekit help Lionpaw repair the elders' den with brambles. They ask Longtail and Mousefur for a story, and the elders tell the two kits about Tigerstar. Later, the two are named apprentice with Squirrelflight as Foxpaw's mentor. When Squirrelflight goes on the patrol to help the Tribe of Rushing Water, Squirrelflight requests to Firestar that Sorreltail mentor Foxpaw until she gets back.
- "I was just showing Icepaw how I was going to catch a fox and earn my warrior name. I want to be called Foxcatcher!"
- ―Foxpaw to Lionpaw about his warrior name Eclipse, page 43
- When Sol comes to ThunderClan, Icepaw introduces herself and Foxpaw. Whitewing quickly steps in and takes them battle training despite Foxpaw's reluctance. He and Icepaw overhear Leafpool and Jaypaw talking with Sol about the disappearing sun. Jaypaw warns them to keep quiet about it and convinces them that Sol is only spreading gossip. Foxpaw helps repair the camp after the WindClan invasion, and later joins the battle patrol with Squirrelflight and Dustpelt. Foxpaw fetches cobwebs with Lionpaw for Leafpool to treat Squirrelflight's wounds and helps build her a nest. He boasts about his victory over a RiverClan cat to Icepaw, and teaches Toadkit and Rosekit some battle moves when Lionpaw is too busy to do so.
- Due to Squirrelflight's injury in the battle with WindClan, Sandstorm becomes Foxpaw's temporary mentor until Squirrelflight recovers. He and Icepaw get some help with the apprentice chores when the ShadowClan apprentices, Flamepaw, Tigerpaw, and Dawnpaw, come to ThunderClan with their mother, Tawnypelt. He explains the benefits of the ThunderClan stalking techniques to Tigerpaw. Foxpaw is affected by the illness in camp though recovers quickly. He is part of the patrol that go out to fetch bedding for the ill cats when they are moved to the abandoned Twoleg nest. When Foxpaw refuses to fetch bedding for the elders, Jayfeather threatens to tell Daisy that Foxpaw was plotting to trick Toadkit into eating rabbit droppings. Foxpaw is genuinely intimidated by this threat, and wonders how Jayfeather knew. When the forest catches fire, he and Icepaw are led out of camp by their mentors.
- "What's Firestar going to do with him? […] I think he should rip his pelt off and feed him to the crows."
- ―Foxpaw's opinions on Sol Sunrise, page 194
- When Sol is brought to ThunderClan, Foxpaw and Icepaw keep close to the more experienced cats. Once Sol is gone, he asks Lionblaze excitedly if it was hard to bring Sol to ThunderClan. When Honeyfern is killed by a snake, he and Icepaw are sent with Lionblaze to fetch brambles to make a barrier. He voices the fear that Sol summoned the snake to kill Honeyfern, but this is quickly dismissed by Lionblaze. He is the first to scent the three leaders of the other Clans when they arrive at the camp. Later, when Whitewing starts kitting, he alerts Lionblaze and Jayfeather.
In the Omen of the Stars arc
- Foxpaw and his sister Icepaw have become warriors, now known as Foxleap and Icecloud. On the way to the Gathering, he questions why they are walking all the way around the lake when they could have gone straight across the mud. Cinderheart explains that it is more respectful to take their usual route. He exchanges a glance with Lionblaze when Leopardstar struggles to leap into the branches of the tree at the Gathering. He speculates about the Great Journey with Rosepetal, saying that he wasn't born then but it was probably exciting. He blames the blocking of the streams that feed the lake on badgers.
- When Dovepaw is chosen to go on the journey with Lionblaze, Foxleap and Icecloud question her, asking her how she knows about the stream and if she had a dream from StarClan. Jayfeather tells them it is between her and Firestar and that they should go and fetch some water for the elders instead of standing around doing nothing. Foxleap is excited when it rains as he is about to go on a water patrol. Squirrelflight hisses at him, saying the lake won't fill up with one rainstorm. He is subdued and promises to wash the moss that he dropped when they get to the lake. He is later on the patrol with Sandstorm, Icecloud, and Toadstep that meet Lionblaze and Dovepaw when they return from their journey. He is the first to greet them and is sent ahead to tell the Clan of their return.
- Foxleap attends the Gathering. On the way there, he suggests leaving scent marks in ShadowClan territory as a comeback. Rosepetal instantly agrees with him and Dovepaw notes that she seems to agree with everything he says. When ShadowClan and WindClan start arguing over boundaries, Foxleap defends ThunderClan from Crowfrost, saying that they saved the lake. Onestar retorts that they all saved the lake and Firestar quickly ends the Gathering before fighting can break out. Foxleap escapes the camp with Thornclaw and Toadstep when the tree falls into the hollow. He later helps with the repairs to the apprentices' den.
- In the battle between ThunderClan and ShadowClan, he fights Crowfrost and is outnumbered by him, Starlingpaw and Pinepaw who try and separate him from the rest of ThunderClan. Ivypaw and Dovepaw help him and take on the two apprentices, allowing Foxleap to regain his balance and tackle Crowfrost. Toadstep joins him and they see the ShadowClan warrior off. They are beckoned by Brackenfur who explains the new plan to them. He helps Toadstep out by pushing Tigerheart away from him and later fights Owlclaw alongside Thornclaw.
- Firestar: "In the future—any cat caught on the ice will be severely punished."
- Foxleap: "Yeah...By death."
- Night Whispers, page 285
- Splash: "You'll be snow cats before you know it."
- Foxleap: "I'm a snow cat now!"
- Sign of the Moon, page 190
- While on a border patrol with Dovewing, Crag, Swoop, and Splash, he convinces them to help some intruders with an eagle. When told to stand back, Foxleap doesn't listen. He jumps on the eagle and is saved by Swoop, who dies in the process. Splash is very quick to blame him, but Crag tells her that blaming Foxleap isn't going to help. For the rest of his time with the Tribe, he looks very sad and wants to go home.
- "Surely we need warriors more than another medicine cat?"
- ―Foxleap about Cinderheart being a reincarnation of Cinderpelt The Forgotten Warrior, page 245
- Foxleap is yelled at by Jayfeather when he's with Toadstep, both being told that they must go get some comfrey. Cherrypaw tells Molepaw that it's dawn and time to wake up, but Foxleap is with Rosepetal, Berrynose and Spiderleg preparing to leave for tree battle training. Later, Ivypool sees him hunting and tells him to gather a patrol to go to the WindClan border, because she thought she scented WindClan trespassing. Foxleap leaves to go gather some cats, and his patrol comes running towards the border. He and Sunstrike are about to lunge at each other and fight, but Birchfall tells him that no cat had crossed the border. Foxleap remains suspicious and checks every clump of grass before he confirms no cat had trespassed and leaves a scent marker. On the way back to camp, Foxleap doesn't believe Ivypool when she claims that she only caught a slight scent earlier.
- Dovewing asks Foxleap if he would like to hunt with her and Bumblestripe. He agrees, but wants to make sure Blackstar and his patrol cross the border. Foxleap chases after the patrol when they leave. Foxleap later practices battle moves with Toadstep while they wait for their Clanmates to gather for the Gathering. Later, Foxleap looks through yesterday's fresh-kill with Toadstep. Before the Great Battle, Foxleap is sent to help and defend RiverClan with Toadstep and Rosepetal. Cherrypaw is a messenger and doesn't get to fight with him. When the Place of No Stars cats are about to attack, he pushes through Berrynose and Hazeltail. After Ferncloud's death, Foxleap and Icecloud mourn the loss of their mother, alongside their father, Dustpelt, who crouches over his deceased mate.
In the Super Editions
- Foxleap is mentioned by Dewpaw when he recites the names of the fallen warriors during the battle with the Dark Forest, and Dewpaw explains that Foxleap died of his wounds after the battle. He is mentioned by Blackstar during a Gathering in which he names the fallen warriors from all Clans. After the death of his father, Dustpelt, Foxleap, Ferncloud and the rest of his deceased siblings welcome their father to StarClan. Bramblestar is amazed at the sight, shocked and humbled that these StarClan warriors made their way to the living world to walk with their father as he entered their world. Foxleap and many other StarClan cats make an appearance during a Gathering, and it prompts Bramblestar to suggest a new law to the warrior code, so that the four Clans may never have to face such a devastating event alone.
In the Novellas
- Foxleap is with the patrol of cats who chase off the fox that goes after Cherrypaw and Molepaw. He, Brightheart, and Rosepetal end up chasing the fox off, but it makes its way back and goes after the apprentices.
- When Dapplenose complains about how Firestar had promised to send ThunderClan warrior reinforcements for the upcoming Great Battle, Foxleap, Rosepetal, and Toadstep burst into the camp with a warning the Dark Forest is attacking.
- "Foxleap cannot die! We have lost too many cats already! Why does StarClan keep punishing us like this?"
- ―Jayfeather attempting to treat Foxleap Dovewing's Silence, page chapter 5
- Days later, most of the cats wounds are now on their way to being fully healed, with only Foxleap still in danger. Leafpool's and Jayfeather's efforts are in vain though, as Foxleap dies in his sleep. Jayfeather is left in agony over his death, and Dovewing wonders about how Dustpelt will cope with his son's death. Jayfeather growls that StarClan wanted him more than ThunderClan did. In her shocked state, Dovewing spits at Graystripe, saying that Foxleap is dead, and the Dark Forest is not finished with them. Three nights later, Dovewing remembers Foxleap dying from the infection, and thinks there are some wounds that will never heal.
Please do not edit this gallery
|Foxpaw's apprentice ceremony|
- Larchkit: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Hollykit: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Icecloud: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Spiderleg: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Shrewpaw: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Birchfall: Living (As of River)
- Robinwing: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Brindleface: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Fuzzypelt: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Whitestorm: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Moonflower: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Poppydawn: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Stormtail: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Windflight: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Fallowsong: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Daisytoe: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Squirrelwhisker: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Ashfur: Deceased, no residence
- Elderkit: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Tulipkit: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Ravenpaw: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Chestnutkit: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Cherrypaw: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Longtail: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Rainwhisker: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Sootfur: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Bluestar: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Rosetail: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Sweetpaw: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Tawnyspots: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Thrushpelt: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Goosefeather: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Heronwing: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Rabbitleap: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Sweetbriar: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Flashnose: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Rosepetal: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Ivypool: Living (As of River)
- Dovewing: Living (As of River)
- Lightleap: Living (As of River)
- Pouncestep: Living (As of River)
- Thriftear: Living (As of River)
- Bristlefrost: Deceased, no residence
- Rowankit: Living (As of River)
- Shadowsight: Living (As of River)
- Birchkit: Living (As of River)
- Flipclaw: Living (As of River)
= Gender unknown
- Foxleap has been mistakenly called Foxtail.
- Foxleap was mistakenly called a tawny tabby and fox-red.
- As an apprentice, Foxleap hoped that Firestar would name him Foxcatcher.
The following information is from sources considered non-canon or retconned.
- On Vicky's Facebook, Su Susann has said that Foxleap had green eyes.
- Icepaw: "He'll catch a real fox one day!"
- Poppypaw: "Yeah, right."
- Eclipse, page 43
- "I'm sorry. It was my fault."
- ―Foxleap blaming himself for Swoop's death Sign of the Moon, page 285
- "We'll show them. They can't order us around like that!"
- ―Foxleap about WindClan The Forgotten Warrior, page 137
- "I see the odd ones are sticking together."
- ―Foxleap about Hollyleaf and Cinderheart sitting with each other The Forgotten Warrior, page 246
- (Indirect mention only)
- (Mentioned only)
- (Indirect mention only)
Notes and references
- Revealed in Bramblestar's Storm, chapter 31
- Revealed in The Sight, allegiances
- Revealed in Outcast, page 35
- Revealed in Bramblestar's Storm, page 18
- Revealed in Dovewing's Silence, chapter 6
- Revealed in Outcast, pages 35-36
- Revealed in The Fourth Apprentice, allegiances
- Revealed in Outcast, page 114
- Revealed in Long Shadows, page 90
- Revealed in The Forgotten Warrior, page 49
- Revealed in Dark River, allegiances
- Revealed in Outcast, page 34
- Revealed in Midnight, page 12
- Revealed in Starlight, page 265
- Revealed in The Sight, page 6
- Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 19
- Revealed in Midnight, page 84
- Revealed on the screenshot) (
- Revealed in Rising Storm, page 41
- Revealed on the screenshot) (
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 327
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 8
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 47
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 19
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 315
- Revealed in Goosefeather's Curse, chapter 1
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 453
- Revealed in Goosefeather's Curse, allegiances
- Revealed in Goosefeather's Curse, chapter 4
- Revealed in Rising Storm, page 42
- Revealed in Graystripe's Vow, page 9
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 329
- Revealed on the screenshot) (
- Revealed in Rising Storm, page 120
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, allegiances
- Revealed on Vicky's Facebook (screenshot)
- Revealed in Goosefeather's Curse, chapter 3
- Revealed in Outcast, page 8
- Revealed in Sunrise, page 317
- Revealed in Tigerheart's Shadow, page 187
- Revealed in River of Fire, page 203
- Revealed in River, allegiances
- Revealed in Fire and Ice, pages 95-97
- Revealed in Forest of Secrets, pages 61-62
- Revealed in The Fourth Apprentice, page 73
- Revealed in The Last Hope, page 56
- Revealed in Fading Echoes, page 285
- Revealed in The Last Hope, page 64
- Revealed in Eclipse, page 43
- Revealed on Vicky's Facebook