|"I know that the life of a warrior isn't always easy. You don't always get what you want when you want it, but you keep on going, helping others along the way if you can. You know Graystripe, you don't need any cat, living or dead, to tell you what feels right in your gut. If you think it over for yourself, the right answer will be clear."|
|— Barley to Graystripe in Graystripe's Vow, page 306|
Graystripe's Vow is the thirteenth book in the Super Editions. It features Graystripe as the main protagonist and flashes back between his time as deputy during Firestar's Quest and his time as an elder following Veil of Shadows. Gremlin and Monkeystar are featured in the prologue and comic, respectively.
- Special thanks to Kate Cary
- Before Graystripe retired to the elders' den, he promised his old friend Firestar that he would never abandon their home. But that was many moons ago, and as new tensions strain ThunderClan, Graystripe begins to wonder if the time of the Clans has ended. Plagued by doubts, he leaves ThunderClan on a journey he hopes will lead him to the answers he seeks—a quest that will take him back to the Clans’ old forest territories.
- Bonus! Also includes an exclusive Warriors manga short story.
- An epic stand-alone adventure in Erin Hunter’s #1 nationally bestselling Warriors series! Also includes an exclusive ten-page Warriors comic.
- In this Super Edition, set during the events of The Broken Code, respected ThunderClan warrior Graystripe seeks a path to the Clan’s future by returning to his past—and the Moonstone in the Clans’ old forest territory.
- Graystripe served ThunderClan for many moons before retiring to the elders’ den. As Firestar’s most trusted friend and deputy, Graystripe promised that he would never abandon his home. But as new tensions strain ThunderClan, Graystripe will need to call on all of his long history, leaving ThunderClan behind in hopes of finding an answer that might save it.
- Join the legion of fans who have discovered the epic adventures, fierce warrior cats, and thrilling fantasy world of the mega-bestselling Warriors series. This stand-alone entry is perfect for new readers and dedicated fans alike.
Detailed plot description
- The warriors of ThunderClan begin to worry about their future after Firestar and Sandstorm leave on a mysterious journey, leaving Graystripe as acting leader. Ashfur, Cloudtail, and Mousefur in particular are skeptical of Firestar's whereabouts. They believe Firestar and Sandstorm have gone to be kittypets, making Graystripe furious that they would even think Firestar left the Clan for kittypet life. Graystripe's loyalty and leadership is questioned by several of the warriors in the Clan. Cinderpelt helps back Graystripe up during these challenges, but Ashfur in particular continues to give Graystripe trouble because he thinks Dustpelt should have been deputy instead.
- Brackenfur and his patrol discover prey remains on ThunderClan territory that smell strongly of WindClan. The warriors challenge Graystripe to talk to Tallstar and do something about it. Graystripe is hesitant, thinking there's no need for WindClan to be stealing prey when it's so abundant, and it would also be uncharacteristic of Tallstar and the rest of the Clan.
- More Coming Soon
- Graystripe thinks about his position as an elder, and imagines talking to Millie. He imagines Millie giving him advice, but is interrupted by Plumstone and Thriftear. The two young warriors ultimately state their opinions about elders while reconciling. Later, Thornclaw and Lionblaze are arguing about ThunderClan's situation. Thornclaw states that they should not trust their leaders blindly, considering what happened with Bramblestar's impostor. He adds that the leadership after Firestar was decided by kin. Lionblaze argues against this, and Thornclaw says that Lionblaze should not be deputy. Cats ask Thornclaw if he wanted to be deputy, and they don't believe him when he says no. Squirrelflight gets involved, and after lots of arguing, Snaptooth, Flywhisker, Thornclaw, and Flipclaw end up leaving ThunderClan on a wander. Graystripe declares to the Clan that he is leaving too, shocking everyone.
- In ThunderClan territory, the wandering cats encounter a SkyClan patrol. They escape a potential attack, but Snaptooth reveals that he and the rest of the patrol are leaving ThunderClan. Thornclaw berates Snaptooth for this, while Graystripe suggests a hunt. Soon after, Flipclaw expresses his feelings for Flywhisker, and after rejecting him, Flywhisker offers Graystripe a time to rest, so he "does". But after the patrol leaves to hunt, Graystripe also hunts. He catches a fat rabbit, and goes back.
- When the others return, Thornclaw calls out the rabbit, and Graystripe takes credit for catching it, and notices that Flywhisker is unable to meet his gaze. Later, the patrol is deciding what to do next. Flipclaw again sneakily expresses his feelings for Flywhisker, and after yet another rejection, Thornclaw surprisingly leaves. The patrol is shocked, but they are even more shocked when Graystripe announces that he plans to travel to the Tribe of Rushing Water to visit his son Stormfur.
- This is the first Super Edition to feature an elder's perspective.
- This is the first book to take place in different time periods, being divided into "Then" and "Now" parts.
- Graystripe's Vow (EN), HarperCollins (hardcover), 1 September 2020
- Graystripe's Vow (EN), HarperCollins (eBook), 1 September 2020
- (Warrior Cats Hub app only)
Notes and references