|"We have great plans for the forest, Tigerstar and I, and you could have been part of them. But we don't need you because you are weak and care more for kin than for power. I don't."|
|— Hawkfrost mocking Brambleclaw in Sunset, page 298|
Hawkfrost was a RiverClan warrior under Leopardstar's leadership in the forest and lake territories and was a member in the Dark Forest. Hawk was born a rogue to Sasha and Tigerstar alongside his littermates, Tadpole and Moth. After Tadpole's death, Sasha took her kits to RiverClan, where he was renamed Hawkkit, and later became an apprentice as Hawkpaw, being mentored by Leopardstar. After becoming a warrior, Hawkfrost was made deputy temporarily, but was demoted back to a warrior after Mistyfoot returned. Following the arrival at the lake, he urged Mudclaw in his rebellion and grew close to his half-brother, Brambleclaw.
Hawkfrost and Brambleclaw trained in the Dark Forest by their father, and once Brambleclaw became ThunderClan's deputy, Hawkfrost lured Firestar into a fox trap for Brambleclaw to kill; however, his half-brother impaled Hawkfrost with the fox trap, mortally injuring him; he subsequently descended to the Dark Forest. Hawkfrost trained Ivypool, having such faith in her, until she sided with the Clans in the Great Battle, and in the wake of Ivypool's betrayal, he killed Hollyleaf. Eventually, Hawkfrost faced Mothwing and killed Dapplenose, and after confronting Brambleclaw, his half-brother killed him a second time, making him vanish forever.
- 1 History
- 2 Detailed description
- 3 Character pixels
- 4 Official art
- 5 Killed victims
- 6 Ceremonies
- 7 Relationships
- 8 Family
- 9 Appearances
- 10 Trivia
- 11 Quotes
- 12 External links
- 13 Notes and references
Looking for a longer overview? Find one here!
- "You have no reason to doubt yourself. Our father was a great warrior. Our mother is proud and strong. They shared only one flaw: that their only loyalty was—and still is, in Sasha's case—to themselves above all other cats. We're not like that. We understand what it means to be loyal to our Clan. We have the courage to live by the warrior code. And because of that we'll be the most powerful cats in RiverClan one day, and our Clanmates will have to respect us then."
- ―Hawkfrost displaying his ambition to Mothwing and Leafpaw Dawn (book), page 170
- When the Clans arrive in their new home, Hawkfrost suggests RiverClan should live on the island and openly challenges Mistyfoot when she disagrees. He sides with Mudclaw in his rebellion to overthrow Onewhisker, but later changes his mind to save Brambleclaw. The brothers grow closer and walk in the same dreams under the guidance of their father, Tigerstar, who wishes for them to be leaders of their Clans someday. When Stormfur and Brook, the former of which could become deputy in the future, return to RiverClan, Hawkfrost forces Mothwing to fake a dream foretelling the two outsiders to leave. During an argument, Hawkfrost reveals he faked a sign to Mudfur that helped his sister become the medicine cat apprentice.
- After Brambleclaw becomes the deputy of ThunderClan, Hawkfrost is pleased, and Tigerstar's plans for revenge begin to fall into place. Hawkfrost, with the help of the ThunderClan warrior, Ashfur, manages to lure Firestar into a fox trap. He instructs Brambleclaw to kill Firestar and become the leader of ThunderClan, but Brambleclaw decides his loyalties belong to ThunderClan. Brambleclaw frees Firestar and kills Hawkfrost with the remains of the fox trap that Firestar was stuck in. Hawkfrost bleeds out into the lake and fulfills the prophecy "blood will spill blood".
- "You beat a bunch of half-starved, untrained rogues. Wow. That's a real sign of a great warrior!"
- ―Hawkfrost taunting Lionpaw Eclipse, page 47
- "Be careful? There's a war coming and it won't be won with sheathed claws. I thought you were helping to train our recruits to fight like real warriors, not soft Clan cats."
- ―Hawkfrost confronting Ivypool when she's training the recruits The Last Hope, pages 5-6
- When the time for the Great Battle arrives, Hawkfrost is one of the leaders fighting against the Clans with his army of loyal trainees. When realizing that Ivypool betrayed him, he attempts to kill her, but Ivypool is rescued by Hollyleaf, and Hawkfrost ends up killing her instead, much to Ivypool's rage. The battle sways in the favor of the Clans, and Hawkfrost attempts to retreat, but is caught by Brambleclaw. His half-brother drags him back to ThunderClan's camp where Ivypool attacks him, furious at his murder of Hollyleaf. Hawkfrost tells her that she is a traitor, and he will kill her, but Brambleclaw interferes, killing Hawkfrost again, leaving him to fade into Clan history.
- "Don't you agree that I'd be a good deputy? Don't you want to help me? After all we've done for RiverClan, we deserve to lead it. No cat respects the warrior code and what being part of a Clan means more than we do."
- ―Hawkfrost to Mothwing Mothwing's Secret, page chapter 5
- "I'll make you proud, Mama. You'll see."
- ―Hawkpaw to Sasha as she leaves Return to the Clans, page 84
- Sasha realizes the safest place for her kits to grow up is with the Clans, and she takes them to RiverClan and tells her kits about their father. Hawk and Moth are accepted within the Clan and soon made apprentices. They discover the remains of the Bonehill, and Leopardstar tells them the horrors Tigerstar committed. The two kits confront their mother, and Sasha makes them promise never to reveal who their father was. Recognizing her kits will be safer if Sasha wasn't around, Sasha leaves her kits in RiverClan, and Leopardstar promises to watch over them.
Stand-alone graphic novels
- In A Shadow in RiverClan,
- Coming Soon
- "I'm sorry to have to say it...but there's only one choice I can see. Onewhisker has to die. If he dies before StarClan makes him a true leader, Ashfoot won't have any right to succeed him. If she survives, that is. Mudclaw—WindClan's true deputy—will become leader, and Firestar will lose his power over WindClan. It's a hard choice, but we have to make it. For the good of all the Clans."
- ―Hawkfrost urging his followers to fight Winds of Change, pages 152-153
- In Winds of Change, Hawkfrost approaches Mudclaw at a Gathering, hearing rumors about WindClan's turbulent leadership. He asks Mudclaw to speak with him at the island later, suggesting that Firestar is controlling Onewhisker and plans to take over WindClan. He urges Mudclaw that they should find allies to secure Mudclaw's place as WindClan's leader, noting how Firestar is attempting to do the same thing Tigerstar did when he was alive. He suggests that Onewhisker must be killed, and hints to Mudclaw that he should name him WindClan's deputy when he becomes leader. Hawkfrost plans to take over RiverClan with Brambleclaw heading ThunderClan and Blackstar following in suit. However during the fight, Firestar and his warriors arrive to aid WindClan, and Hawkfrost and Mudclaw flee. Hawkfrost betrays Mudclaw to save Brambleclaw, lying that the rebellion was all Mudclaw's idea, and Mudclaw realizes too late that Hawkfrost manipulated him.
- Hawkfrost is a huge, muscular, long-legged, broad-shouldered, mackerel-striped dark brown tabby tom with a snow-white underbelly, and matted, dull fur. He has a bushy tail, a scarred, broad muzzle, long claws, huge paws, and ice-blue eyes.
The pixel artwork is an interpretation based upon canon material.
The pixel artwork is an interpretation based upon canon material.
Please do not edit this gallery
This list shows the victims Hawkfrost has killed:
|Hawkpaw's apprentice ceremony|
- When Brambleclaw first sees Hawkfrost, it is at a Gathering where Leopardstar introduces him and Mothwing as warriors. Once Brambleclaw gets a closer look at the muscular tom, he exclaims that he would not want to face him in battle. Brambleclaw discovers that he is kin with Hawkfrost. They share a few sentences, before Hawkfrost orders Brambleclaw and the rest of his patrol off RiverClan territory. After the leaders decide to move in to their new territory, Hawkfrost expresses that he wishes that the two could have hunted together, causing Brambleclaw to wonder if he felt kinship for the tom.
- Narrator: "Blackclaw was nodding agreement, with a hostile glance at [Mistyfoot]"
- Leafpool's thoughts: "Did he think Hawkfrost should still be deputy? Was Hawkfrost trying to gain followers who were loyal to him alone, and not to the Clan?"
- Twilight, page 164
- Blackclaw was Hawkfrost's closest friend, and they often fought beside each other. Blackclaw supported Hawkfrost politically, spreading false rumors about the current deputy, Mistyfoot, to help him replace her, though Hawkfrost kept his more sinister schemes secret from Blackclaw. So when Hawkfrost mysteriously died, Blackclaw, with the rest of RiverClan, weren't aware it was due to a backfired murder attempt. They mourned for him.
- Hawkfrost first appeared to Ivypaw in a dream. He started to help her with her battle moves and pretended to be a kind cat, but he was really manipulating Ivypaw into joining the Dark Forest. When Ivypaw realized what was going on, she spied in the Dark Forest for the Clans. Hawkfrost tried to kill her in the Great Battle but was stopped by Hollyleaf.
- His parents are Sasha and Tigerstar, his brother is Tadpole, and his sister is Mothwing. His half-brother is Bramblestar and his half-sister is Tawnypelt. For more of Hawkfrost's family, click here!
- Return to the Clans
- A Shadow in RiverClan
- Mothwing's Secret †
- Midnight (First appearance)
- Leopardstar's Honor (manga)
- Winds of Change
- Sunset †
- Leafpool's Wish (Mentioned only)
- The Sight
- Dark River
- Sunrise (Mentioned only)
- The Fourth Apprentice
- Fading Echoes
- Night Whispers
- Sign of the Moon
- The Forgotten Warrior
- The Last Hope †
- Dovewing's Silence (Mentioned only)
- Crowfeather's Trial (Vision or Dream)
- Darkness Within (Mentioned only)
- Cats of the Clans
- Battles of the Clans (Mentioned only)
- The Ultimate Guide
- After Sunset: The Right Choice? (Mentioned only)
- After Sunset: We Need to Talk (Mentioned only)
- Did you know that Hawkfrost is the spitting image of Tigerstar and Bramblestar? For more trivia about Hawkfrost, click here!
Notes and references
- Revealed in The Last Hope, page 319
- Revealed in The Sight, page 227
- Revealed in Midnight, allegiances
- Revealed in Return to the Clans, page 68
- Revealed in Return to the Clans, page 4
- Revealed in Sunset, page 299
- Revealed in Return to the Clans, page 3
- Revealed in the Warriors App
- Revealed in Return to the Clans, page 75
- Revealed in Dawn, page 80
- Revealed in Fading Echoes, page 230
- Revealed in Mothwing's Secret, chapter 1
- Revealed in The Ultimate Guide, page 74
- Revealed in Outcast, page 171
- Revealed in Fading Echoes, pages 120-122
- Revealed in Fading Echoes, pages 190-192
- Revealed in Sign of the Moon, page 255
- Revealed in Fading Echoes, page prologue
- Revealed in Dawn, page 156
- Revealed in Midnight, page 52
- Revealed in Fading Echoes, page 2
- Revealed in Midnight, page 53
- Revealed in Starlight, page 306
- Revealed in Twilight, page 73
- Revealed in Eclipse, page 106
- Revealed in Night Whispers, page 165
- Revealed in Mothwing's Secret, chapter 8
- Revealed in Fading Echoes, page 122
- Revealed in Fading Echoes, page 120
- Revealed in Dawn, page 147
- Revealed in Moonrise, page 251
- Revealed in Sunset, page 295
- Revealed in The Last Hope, page 295
- Revealed in Midnight, page 48
- Revealed in Dawn, page 146
- Revealed in Starlight, page 101
- Revealed in Starlight, page 234
- Revealed in Twilight, page 164
- Revealed in The Sight, page 57
- Revealed in The Last Hope, page 294
|Dark Forest cats|
|Leaders||Tigerstar • Hawkfrost • Mapleshade • Thistleclaw • Maggottail • Brokenstar|
|Members||Antpelt • Darkstripe • Houndleap • Silverhawk • Snowtuft • Shredtail • Sparrowfeather • Redwillow • Rushtooth|
|Trainees||Crookedstar • Thistleclaw • Bramblestar • Hawkfrost • Lionblaze • Ivypool • Mousewhisker • Birchfall • Blossomfall • Thornclaw • Tigerstar • Antpelt • Ratscar • Applefur • Redwillow • Sunstrike • Harestar • Breezepelt • Minnowtail • Icewing • Beetlewhisker • Hollowflight • Furzepelt • Larkwing • Whiskernose|