|"I say these words before StarClan." [...] "that the spirits of my ancestors approve my choice. Waspwhisker will be the new deputy of SkyClan."|
|— Leafstar making Waspwhisker deputy in Hawkwing's Journey, page 316|
- Below contains in-depth information for chapter eighteen of Hawkwing's Journey. If you are looking for a shorter summary of the entire book, please check the main article.
- Chapter Number: 18 (of 35)
- Page Numbers: 203-217
- Hawkwing, Pebblepaw, and Echosong awaken, wanting to find the rest of the Clan and Snipkit. The group follow the river, but there is no sign of the black she-kit's body. Curlykit and Fidgetkit express their desire to find their sister, making Hawkwing ask when they last saw their parents. After the kits are comforted by Pebblepaw, they continue down the riverbank. Suddenly, a creature appears from the bushes, which Pebblepaw exclaims is a raccoon. The raccoon lunges at Echosong and bites at her shoulder.
- Pebblepaw bats at the raccoon, and Hawkwing assists her in driving it back. Echosong states she's not too badly wounded. As she is checked by the speckled apprentice, Hawkwing takes Curlykit and Fidgetkit to gather cobwebs. After that task is done, the kits request to search for Snipkit again, but Echosong tells them they need to hunt to keep their strength up. Hawkwing and Pebblepaw go out to hunt. As they walk, the dark gray tabby admits he saw Darktail placing food scraps onto the ground, wondering if he was trying to lure predators to the gorge. He continues, and says he probably didn't even have a clue to the whereabouts of Firestar's kin, and only participated in the quests just to make SkyClan weak. Hawkwing confesses it's his fault that SkyClan lost their home, but Pebblepaw comforts him and tells him he didn't know what Darktail was capable of. By sunhigh, the two return to Echosong and the kits with prey. The kits ask again to find Snipkit, but Echosong says no. The cats shift the discussion to finding their Clanmates, which they suspect to be in Twolegplace.
- As the cats travel to Twolegplace, Hawkwing remembers going there with Ebonyclaw. Echosong reveals she was originally a kittypet before joining SkyClan. A powerful scent of cat fills Hawkwing's throat, but his relief turns to sadness as he thinks about the remains of his family. Suddenly, Ebonyclaw appears, and welcomes them to her den, where all of the remaining SkyClan cats are staying. Pebblepaw reunites with her family, along with Curlykit and Fidgetkit. Birdwing and Sagenose are happy to see their kits, but then sad to learn of Snipkit's demise. Hawkwing spots more of his Clanmates while he listens to a conversation between Ebonyclaw and Leafstar.
- Sparrowpelt suggests to attack the rogues, but Leafstar states it is not the time for battle. Several members of the Clan protest, but they are silenced when Pebblepaw suggests that StarClan could be punishing them. Leafstar moves on from the idea and announces it is time to pick a new deputy. She appoints Waspwhisker to be the new SkyClan deputy, and the gray-and-white tom is stunned at the announcement. Hawkwing misses Sharpclaw, but respects his leader's choice.
|Waspwhisker's deputy ceremony|
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Revealed in Hawkwing's Journey, chapter 18
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Revealed in Hawkwing's Journey, page 212
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 Revealed in Hawkwing's Journey, page 213
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Revealed in Hawkwing's Journey, page 208
|Hawkwing's Journey chapters|
|Prologue • Chapter 1 • Chapter 2 • Chapter 3 • Chapter 4 • Chapter 5 • Chapter 6 • Chapter 7 • Chapter 8 • Chapter 9 • Chapter 10 • Chapter 11 • Chapter 12 • Chapter 13 • Chapter 14 • Chapter 15 • Chapter 16 • Chapter 17 • Chapter 18 • Chapter 19 • Chapter 20 • Chapter 21 • Chapter 22 • Chapter 23 • Chapter 24 • Chapter 25 • Chapter 26 • Chapter 27 • Chapter 28 • Chapter 29 • Chapter 30 • Chapter 31 • Chapter 32 • Chapter 33 • Chapter 34 • Chapter 35 • Manga|
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.