|"Will I ever see Pebbleshine again?"|
|— Hawkwing's thoughts in Hawkwing's Journey, page 303|
- Below contains in-depth information for chapter twenty six of Hawkwing's Journey. If you are looking for a shorter summary of the entire book, please check the main article.
- Chapter Number: 26 (of 35)
- Page Numbers: 298-303
- Hawkwing lays on the ground beneath the shelter of a gorse bush. It had been three days since a monster had carried Pebbleshine away, and, in hope that she would return, SkyClan had stayed on the hillside above Twolegplace. But Hawkwing's hope was draining, and he feels as though a weight is crushing him, pressing him to the ground. He hears movement, and opens one eye to see Blossomheart leaning over him. She coaxes him to eat a shrew she brought, but he gives it a sniff, and closes his eyes: he has no appetite. His sister begs him to eat, but when Hawkwing refuses to listen, she leaves him alone.
- He feels as though a cat's claw snags his heart, and recalls the day he broke the sad news to SkyClan, leaving his Clanmates to mourn. He hopes she returns, and constantly worries about the dogs and Twolegs that might threaten his mate; he knows he needs to father his kits, and teach them all he once was. Hawkwing feels sudden rage, blaming Darktail for the suffering his Clan endured, believing that if he hadn't come, Pebbleshine would be in the gorge with her kits, but loses his anger as he reminds himself of his father, Sharpclaw.
- Leafstar approaches the grief-stricken tom with Echosong, and as she begins saying that the Clan has stayed for several days, Hawkwing silently refuses to leave, although his leader tells him that if she did escape she'd have come back, so SkyClan has to move on. Hawkwing sits up, protesting; Leafstar firmly, yet sympathetically, tells him it's her choice, and Echosong supports her. The dark gray tom knows they're right, but his sadness still doesn't vanish.
- Curlypaw, his apprentice, brings Hawkwing a mouse, appearing concerned for her mentor. He pushes it away, stating that he's going to wait until Pebbleshine returns, which causes Leafstar to plead with him to come, since the Clan needs him. Echosong, agreeing with Leafstar, reminds Hawkwing about the brave deeds Hawkwing has done on SkyClan's behalf, such as the fight with a raccoon and how Hawkwing killed Dodge in Twolegplace. The medicine cat stands with Leafstar, insisting that Hawkwing recognize what he has done for SkyClan.
- The gray tabby sees truth in their words: his Clan does need him, yet he wonders how he can force himself to leave the place he'd last been with Pebbleshine. He questions if they're even heading the right away, considering the fact the Clan could wander around for moons to no avail. Echosong replies that StarClan is testing the Clan, but she adds not to believe their ancestors are leading them astray.
- The tabby tom realizes Echosong and Leafstar are right, and eats up the mouse Curlypaw brought him, even if it makes him feel sick. He finishes the fresh-kill, and joins his Clanmates, and despite trying to ignore it, he wonders if he'll ever see Pebbleshine again.
Notes and references
|Hawkwing's Journey chapters|
|Prologue • Chapter 1 • Chapter 2 • Chapter 3 • Chapter 4 • Chapter 5 • Chapter 6 • Chapter 7 • Chapter 8 • Chapter 9 • Chapter 10 • Chapter 11 • Chapter 12 • Chapter 13 • Chapter 14 • Chapter 15 • Chapter 16 • Chapter 17 • Chapter 18 • Chapter 19 • Chapter 20 • Chapter 21 • Chapter 22 • Chapter 23 • Chapter 24 • Chapter 25 • Chapter 26 • Chapter 27 • Chapter 28 • Chapter 29 • Chapter 30 • Chapter 31 • Chapter 32 • Chapter 33 • Chapter 34 • Chapter 35 • Manga|
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.