|"We aren't home by the lake yet, but for the first time in a long while, I believe we will be soon."|
|— Hawkwing thinking about the journey of SkyClan in Hawkwing's Journey, page 425|
- Special thanks to Cherith Baldry
- An epic stand-alone adventure in Erin Hunter's #1 nationally bestselling Warriors series! Set just before the events of the books in A Vision of Shadows, this Super Edition follows Hawkwing, deputy of SkyClan, on a journey that will change the fate of all five warrior Clans.
- The cats of SkyClan are facing a darkness unlike any they have seen before—and their only hope is to seek out the kin of Firestar, the cat who once brought their Clan back from obscurity. But even if they find the other four warrior Clans, SkyClan's time in the gorge territory may truly be at an end....
- Join the legion of fans who have discovered the epic adventures, fierce warrior cats, and the thrilling fantasy world of the mega-bestselling Warriors series. This stand-alone entry is perfect for new readers and dedicated fans alike.
- Hawkwing's Journey also includes an exclusive ten-page Warriors manga adventure!
Detailed plot description
Looking for a shorter overview? Find one here!
- Cloudstar sits in the gorge, and he greets Brackenheart. Skystar comes in, and the leader asks if they have come to a decision. When they say no, Skystar insists an answer must be found because there is a great danger to SkyClan. Cloudstar insists that SkyClan will never end, but. Brackenheart meows that there is no Firestar to save them now. Skystar suggests they speak to SkyClan directly. Cloudstar mews that they should tell them to fight, and they are brave and deeply committed. The medicine cat disagrees, and Skystar declares that SkyClan must move to a new home, as all things come to an end after a while. He says when he founded SkyClan, it was one of the five petals of the Blazing Star, and all the Clans thrived when they worked together. Cloudstar asks if SkyClan needs to leave the gorge, and bristles when the tom confirms this. He protests that they should fight, but Skystar says that there is a time to let go, and only by uniting with the Clans they can clear the sky. Brackenheart asks where SkyClan will live at the lake, and if the other Clans will accept them. Skystar says they must look to Firestar's kin, for when fire dies, sparks remain. He says if they do not find these sparks soon, their future is terrible.
- Hawkpaw lazily naps in the sun, but is abruptly awakened by Duskpaw. He pushes him away and asks what has gotten into him. Duskpaw says he's going to steal Twoleg food, as Pebblepaw saw the Twolegs carrying some in the greenleaf Twolegplace. Hawkpaw asks how they'll get out unseen, noting that their mentors won't be happy. Duskpaw insist they're all sleeping, and the dark gray tom spots Cloudpaw and Pebblepaw waiting behind his brother. The speckled she-cat is impatient, saying to get a move on and leave Hawkpaw behind. He growls, refusing to come, despite Duskpaw's protests. They leave, and Hawkpaw curls up to finish his nap. Later, while Hawkpaw is on patrol with Ebonyclaw, they discover a fire in the Twolegplace. The warrior dives into the flames to save Cloudpaw, but he is torn on whether to help Pebblepaw or Duskpaw, who has also been caught. He saves the speckled apprentice first, and later goes back for his brother with Ebonyclaw's help. The two she-cats explain how the fire started, and they all head slowly back to camp.
- Hawkpaw carries Duskpaw's limp form into the gorge with Ebonyclaw. The cats at camp seem to sense something wrong when they see the smoke from the fire. The returning injured cats call for the medicine cats and the queens fuss over their kits as Echosong and Frecklewish bound over. Duskpaw is taken to the medicine den, but Echosong fails to revive him as his heart has stopped, and he is pronounced dead. Cloudpaw and Pebblepaw are treated in the clearing. The next day, Hawkpaw refuses to be treated as he feels guilty for not saving his brother first. Meanwhile, other cats hear of how the dark gray apprentice saved Pebblepaw, and congratulate him for being a hero. The speckled she-cat recovers days later and asks him why he will not speak to her. Hawkpaw lashes out at her because of the guilt and anger for not saving his brother, but later apologizes.
- Hawkpaw is standing by his brother's grave when Leafstar's call comes from the gorge for his, Cloudpaw, and Blossompaw's warrior ceremonies. When he stands next to his siblings, Hawkpaw comments that Duskpaw should have been here. He receives his warrior name Hawkwing, and his sisters are named Cloudmist and Blossomheart. Shortly afterwards, Pebblepaw goes to thank Hawkwing for saving her, saying that Leafstar's comments about his bravery were true. The dark gray tom sees that she's recovered and angrily shouts at her, still feeling guilty over not saving Duskpaw. He tells Pebblepaw that he wishes he hadn't saved her, but the she-cat doesn't respond and walks away.
- After their vigil, they go to a morning meeting, where Leafstar explains about Echosong's prophecy from StarClan. The leader says that she'd went to the Whispering Cave and met Skystar, who told her, "The fire has burned out, but to dispel the darkness you must find the spark that remains." Some cats think this means Firestar and his kin, but others perceive it to be about the fire that killed Duskpaw. After the meeting, Hawkwing goes on a walk with Sandynose and Plumwillow, and they meet Darktail. The white tom asks the trio cats if they are Clan cats, and asks if he can get some herbs from their medicine cat, as he breathed in smoke during the fire. They bring him back to camp, and Hawkwing wonders if he's part of the prophecy. Echosong gives Darktail some coltsfoot, and is shocked with how much he knows of the other Clans. Leafstar is alerted about this, and invites the white tom to stay with them for a little while. Hawkwing pads off to sleep, glad that he brought back something useful from the scene of the fire.
- Several days later, SkyClan decides to send a patrol to look for the other Clans, using directions Darktail gave them. They head off with Billystorm leading the group, and stop to hunt later in the day. The cats go into the Twolegplace, where Hawkwing talks with Waspwhisker about Duskpaw, and starts to feel better. They are chased by some Twolegs and the patrol bolts until they reach a Thunderpath and cross it. Hawkwing and Pebblepaw bicker with each other, but Billystorm encourages them to get along, as it won't help the journey. The patrol approaches a landmark, and deem it to be the one Darktail mentioned. However, they enter a clearing with badger dens nearby, and are attacked. They manage to fight the badgers off, but Billystorm is killed.
- The patrol sits vigil for Billystorm overnight, and then buries him in the morning. They discuss what to do, but are divided on whether to return home or not. Eventually, the majority votes that they should not continue, and they start walking home. On their way back, they stop to hunt and rest. Hawkwing meets a kittypet named Betsy, who tells them that there have been badgers near here for a very long time. He is surprised, and this makes him doubt what Darktail told SkyClan. They return to the Clan to find it has been attacked by raccoons while they were away, which killed Honeytail. Leafstar is heartbroken to hear about Billystorm's death, and calls a Clan meeting to announce it. She tells her Clanmates that they need to fulfill the prophecy before things get worse. Hawkwing loses his temper and rages at Darktail, accusing him of Billystorm's death. He suggests that they drive him out, but Leafstar instead gives him a punishment of tending to Echosong.
- Hawkwing sits in the medicine den, and Darktail enters. The white tom tells him he's leading another patrol to search for the other Clans, and says he'll vouch for him to come along. Darktail later brings Rain to camp, and Leafstar agrees that the gray tom is welcome to help. She agrees for Hawkwing to come, despite still being punished for his rash actions, even though Sharpclaw disapproves. The dark gray tom is thrilled, but his father later ruins the mood when they argue. The next day, the patrol leaves with Darktail in the lead. They come across an abandoned barn, and with information from Toad, they decide to investigate. However, Twolegs let their dogs loose, and they chase the patrol away. Toad is killed by the creatures, and the other cats escape while they're distracted.
- They run through the forest until they're at a safe distance. The patrol spreads out to continue looking for signs of cats having traveled through here, but find none. Firefern blames Darktail, but the tom gets sympathy when he seems distressed about his friend's death. They despondently decide to return back to SkyClan's camp, and make a makeshift camp for the night. Some cats are sent off to hunt, and the group eats what they catch before going to sleep. They set out for camp the next day, walking back the way they came. Upon approaching the border, they notice the boundary marks are stale, and get worried. They rush to camp and are told that the raccoons have come back, and Leafstar lost a life. Hawkwing and Darktail are led to talk to Sharpclaw and the leader, where they report their failure. This causes frustration, because the prophecy is no closer to being fulfilled.
- The next morning, Sharpclaw calls a Clan meeting, saying that from now on all patrols will be larger to be safe against the raccoons. The Clan begins to hurtle accusations at Darktail, and Hawkwing tries to defend the white tom. However, Sharpclaw calls him out in front of the Clan, and the dark gray tom leaves and sulks back into his den. Pebblepaw comes to check on him, but he snaps at her. When she begins to leave, however, he says an apology and she responds that it's okay. Hawkwing later joins a patrol, and he thinks about how the Clan has calmed in the few days since he returned. He notices Darktail slinking around, and tells his companions to continue on without him. The dark gray tom sees him doing weird things with Twoleg scraps, but hesitates to report it because it isn't technically wrong.
- Hawkwing joins the dawn patrol led by Waspwhisker, and the gray and white warrior takes out his irritation on Darktail. This surprises some of the cats, but the white tom keeps his tempter. Hawkwing reflects that he'd never reported Darktail over by Twolegplace the other day, but doesn't want to bother with something so small. His thoughts start to wander to his relationships with others, including Pebblepaw. Waspwhisker hisses for the patrol to duck down, and Hawkwing complies. They encounter a group of rogues, and they refuse to leave the territory. SkyClan attacks, and they manage to drive them off. Waspwhisker admits that Darktail fought well in the skirmish, but doesn't trust him still. They finish marking the border and start to return to camp. Hawkwing tries to bring up the topic of the Twoleg food with Darktail, but the tom brushes him off.
- Waspwhisker leads the patrol back to camp, and cats prick their ears at their rapid approach. The gray and white tom reports what happened, with the rogues attacking, and that they wouldn't leave the territory. The Clan bursts into a storm of comments, and more cats exit their dens at the commotion. Pebblepaw asks Hawkwing if he's okay, and he says yes, touched by her checking on him. Leafstar insists that it's vital that they don't panic, but the clamor doesn't die down. The Clan is divided on whether they should lead a patrol and teach the rogues a lesson, or if they should save their strength. Cats worry about the prophecy, and Echosong admits that she hasn't had any more visions. Leafstar insists that they'll continue as usual, and tells every cat to go to their duties.
- Hawkwing joins another patrol, and returns just before sunhigh with a squirrel. He tries to go and talk to Sharpclaw for advice, but decides against it. Cherrytail intercepts him on his way to the warriors' den, asking why he didn't talk to his father. He explains, and the she-cat reassures his doubts about the prophecy and the future. That night, Hawkwing can't sleep. He sits outside the den and looks at the stars, pondering what will become of SkyClan next. The tom vows that as long as he's alive, his Clan will survive.
- Later, Hawkwing is selected as part of Sharpclaw's patrol. Darktail is picked as well, and he pads over to the dark gray tom. They begin to talk about Hawkwing and Pebblepaw's feelings for each other, with makes the former uncomfortable. The patrol then leaves camp, and the dark gray tom hopes he can reconcile with his father through this. While walking, Darktail manages to catch a vole, and is proud. Hawkwing and Sharpclaw work together to catch a rabbit, but it doesn't seem to smooth over things between them. They return to camp, and Hawkwing leaves to find Pebblepaw. He approaches the apprentice as she sits beside a pool while trying to catch fish. The dark gray tom apologizes for how he treated her after Duskpaw's death, and that he never really blamed her. She blinks at him happily, and he says that they can be friends now. The she-cat agrees, and both cats part, still confused about their feelings.
- He walks back to his nest and goes to sleep. However, in the night, he is awoken by the sounds of rustling brush. The tom creeps past his sleeping Clanmates, emerging into the open. Hawkwing surveys the clearing, seeing many rogue cats swarming into the camp, led by a silver-gray tom. He yowls a warning, waking all of his Clanmates. At first, they think he's had a dream, but a screech from Stormheart jerks them to wakeful reality. SkyClan's cats streak out of their den, hissing defiance as they meet the rogue cats. Hawkwing tries to insist that the apprentices stay in their den, but they want to fight.
- Hawkwing leaps into the clearing, fighting with the ginger rogue he'd attacked on patrol previously. He and Pebblepaw work together to drive off a black and white rogue before jumping back into the battle. Hawkwing realizes that the rogues knew to attack them at night, when their daylight warriors weren't here. Drops of rain start to fall as he helps Sandynose beat off an opponent, and then joins with Bouncefire to help more cats. Darktail starts to lead them over to a group of battling cats, but a rogue intercepts their path. Hawkwing waits for the white tom to attack, but instead he turns and bites into Bouncefire's neck. The warrior is too shocked to defend himself and dies with blood pouring out of his throat.
- Hawkwing yowls that he's a traitor, and wonders if everything the white tom had done was part of a twisted plan. He moves to attack Darktail, but a silver-gray tom engages with him instead. Hawkwing struggles to beat his opponent while watching his father Sharpclaw fight two rogues at a time. The silver-gray tom cuts off Hawkwing's air supply, and he struggles to breathe. He sees Darktail sneak up behind Sharpclaw, but is unable to warn him. They begin to fight, but Rain stealthily creeps up on the deputy from behind. Meanwhile, Hawkwing is in horror and tries to shove off his opponent so he can yowl a warning. Rain and Darktail work together to kill Sharpclaw, leaving the dark gray tom watching, with nothing he can do. He shoves off the silver gray tom and races to his father, but is too late.
- Hawkwing is horrified, asking Darktail what SkyClan did to deserve this. The white tom sneers that this has been his plan all along, but softens and says that he's different than the other Clan cats. Darktail offers him the chance to join his group, but Hawkwing vehemently declines. The white tom says he can die with the rest of his Clan, leaping away out of sight. As the storm rages on, SkyClan's warriors continue to fight. Hawkwing and Pebblepaw race to defend the nursery, where the queens are struggling with several rogues. Leafstar calls for SkyClan to retreat, and cats begin to follow her command. Hawkwing flees with his Clanmates, and tries to help Curlykit and Fidgetkit cross the river. He assists them across, but Snipkit is lost in the current.
- Hawkwing joins with Pebblepaw and Echosong, but a raccoon attacks them. They drive it off, but the medicine cat is bitten and they try to help stop the bleeding. The group stops to hunt, and later rejoins with the rest of SkyClan. Leafstar says that it wouldn't be the best course of action to fight the rogues now, which causes many cats to murmur in disagreement. However, she insists that they need to save the Clan by finding the spark that StarClan has prophesied. Due to Sharpclaw, the previous deputy, haven being killed in the battle, Leafstar appoints Waspwhisker to take his place, and SkyClan cheers for him.
- Days later, Hawkwing and Pebblepaw go out searching for more of their missing Clanmates. The dark gray reflects on how much death there's been so far, and hopes there isn't more. Together, they find Cherrytail and Cloudmist, and bring them back to the other SkyClan cats. Once they return, Echosong treats Cherrytail's wound, which is infected. Leafstar leads a patrol to check out the gorge one last time, but Hawkwing decides not to go, However, that night, he can't sleep because of his worries for Pebblepaw. Leafstar comes back and reports that they've lost the gorge forever, and their only hope is to find ThunderClan. Echosong reveals that she's had another vision, one of SkyClan settling happily by a lake.
- Leafstar announces that they will leave in two sunrises, and Bellapaw and Rileypaw will lead them to Barley as a starting point. Most of the daylight warriors say they're staying, and several other cats voice concerns as well. Leafstar insists that this isn't up for discussion, and that any cats who wish to stay may do so, but that she'll be following StarClan's vision. She calls the Clan together and appoints some new warriors, giving their names as Bellaleaf, Rileypool, Parsleyseed, and Pebbleshine. The leader then promotes Curlypaw and Fidgetpaw, giving them the mentors of Hawkwing and Echosong.
- The next day, SkyClan prepares to leave. Nettlesplash and his family decide to stay, while Macgyver decides to come. The cats begin to head towards Barley's barn, led by Rileypool and Bellaleaf. They travel through the Twolegplace, and Leafstar warns that they need to move quickly to avoid Dodge and his cats. They continue walking until past dark, going down alleyways. Shorty meets them and brings them back to Cora and his kits, as well as the other cats in his camp. SkyClan is warmly received, and they split off into groups to hunt. They catch a lot and settle down to eat, but Bellaleaf and Fidgetpaw return wounded, announcing that Dodge's group took Curlypaw.
- Harley comes with a message, confirming the ambush, and says Leafstar and her cats are welcome to meet with Dodge about it without fear of being harmed. They follow him through the streets, and meet with the leader. Dodge reveals that he helped Darktail and his rogues find SkyClan, which enrages Hawkwing. He says that if they fight to drive Stick and his cats out of the Twolegplace, they can have their apprentice back. Hawkwing calls him a coward, challenging him to a one on one fight. They leap at each other, and SkyClan cheers for the dark gray tom. This gives him energy, and barrels into the top, swiping his claws, killing Dodge. Harley lets the SkyClan cats leave unharmed, as promised. Curlypaw is released, and Shorty leads them out of the camp.
- While traveling, Hawkwing teaches Curlypaw the hunting crouch. The dark gray gives her tips while reclining in the sun, warmth soaking into his pelt. He talks with Blossomheart about the good hunting spots in SkyClan's gorge territory, and asks his apprentice if she can locate any prey. She bounds off to hunt beneath a large oak, thinking that its twisted roots are hiding some creatures. As Hawkwing follows, Blossomheart asks him if he thinks they'll ever find Barley. He says he doesn't know, and Leafstar soon calls that SkyClan is moving. Hawkwing checks on Cherrytail and then gathers Curlypaw closer. The apprentice excitedly announces that she caught her first mouse, and is praised for it. He notices that Pebbleshine looks giddy, and knows she's hiding something, but won't tell him what. The SkyClan cats continue to walk and soon come across Barley's barn. Hawkwing and Curlypaw hunt in the barn, and are able to catch several mice.
- The next morning they leave the barn, pointed in the right direction by Barley. Cloudmist and Cherrytail decide to stay behind, though the rest of their kin protests. They continue to travel, and eventually decide to hunt. Hawkwing chases a squirrel by going after it through the high branches of a tree, but falls out and collapses on the ground. Echosong says he's hurt, so Leafstar agrees they can stay here for a few days. Hawkwing is frustrated that he's holding the Clan back, but Pebbleshine snaps him out of the mood by announcing that she's expecting his kits. They are thrilled and share tongues happily.
- Days after, Hawkwing limps at the back of SkyClan's group, but doesn't want to slow every cat down. As they approach a Twolegplace, the cats split off to hunt. They join with Waspwhisker and check out a lot of abandoned monsters, deciding to try and hunt some of the chickens trapped in mesh dens. However, a Twoleg comes and Hawkwing yowls a warning, which makes two cats of the patrol flee. Pebbleshine remains trapped in the monster as it rolls away down the Thunderpath, even though the dark gray tom chases after it.
- SkyClan waits three days for Pebbleshine to return, but decides to move on after that. Hawkwing is wrapped in grief and wants to stay, but is convinced to continue on. The Clan continues traveling for the next half moon as Plumwillow gets closer and closer to kitting. Hawkwing and the queen comfort each other, having both lost their mates. Waspwhisker spots a lake, and they divide into patrols to explore it. They meet a kittypet named Max, who tells them more about the lake. Macgyver locates a good place to camp, and SkyClan moves there. Though Echosong insists this isn't the place StarClan intends them to be, the Clan overwhelmingly decides to stay.
- Hawkwing dreams of sitting beside Pebbleshine with their kits, but is rudely awakened by a squawking noise. He is frustrated and storms out at the den, staring at the water bird who made the commotion with a glare. Hawkwing, Curlypaw, Bellaleaf, and Blossomheart go on a patrol to explore.The dark gray tom and his apprentice attempt to catch a vole, but the loud squawking again distracts him. Hawkwing sees the bird diving at Blossomheart, and the patrol attacks the bird. The bird grabs a hold of Curlypaw and tries to him ler off, but her Clanmates rescue the apprentice. They are all very shaken, but no cat has any major injuries. The patrol heads back to camp, and Hawkwing thinks about SkyClan's future.
- A moon later, SkyClan is settling into their new camp. Hawkwing's grief at losing his unborn kin and mate has faded, though he still feels sad. He thinks that Curlypaw's training is progressing really well, since he started putting more effort towards it. Leafstar and Echosong begin to bicker, which surprises Hawkwing, since they never argue. The medicine cat insists that this place feels wrong, and that they can't stay here. Hawkwing silently agrees, but Leafstar protests that it took them a long time to find this place. She insists that SkyClan will stay here for now, and both cats stalk away from each other. Plumwillow starts her kitting, and Hawkwing helps her, reassuring the queen that she has to birth these kits for her mate's sake. She gives birth to three kits, and asks the tom if he'd help raise them, to which he agrees.
- Plumwillow's kits grow, and a moon later, they play with Hawkwing in the clearing. He worries about the Twolegs that have been near camp recently, and with their dogs. Later that evening, dogs attack the camp, and SkyClan flees. Hawkwing grabs Reedkit and Dewkit, giving the order to run. He and Plumwillow race through the forest and hide in a gorse thicket with her litter. When night falls, they return to camp, and most of their Clanmates are safe as well. Cats begin to consider moving camp to avoid the dogs, and the clearing fills with chatter. Echosong announces that she doesn't intend to stay and find out, and will be going to try and find the spark that remains. Leafstar is shocked, but reluctantly agrees that any cat who wants to go with the medicine cat may leave. The next day, Echosong, Harrybrook, and Bellaleaf leave camp on their quest.
- Hawkwing is about to go on patrol, but can't find Curlypaw. The apprentice soon comes into camp apologizing, saying she'd just left for a bit. He thinks she's up to something, due to the scent on her pelt, but thinks he'll ask about it later. However, he soon forgets, thinking about how it's been two moons since Echosong left. The dark gray tom reflects that SkyClan moved camp, but that the dogs were still a problem, so they relocated for the third time. He thinks about how Parsleyseed left earlier to become a kittypet, which shocked the Clan. The patrol works together to catch a rabbit and then returns to camp. Curlypaw pulls Hawkwing aside, telling him she'd like to talk in private, but they hear dogs barking and sprint towards them instead.
- Plumwillow reveals that the kits were chased by the dogs, so she and Hawkwing track them to a miniature Twoleg den. They distract the Twolegs long enough to get the kits away and race into the forest. Plumwillow and Hawkwing agree that they need to convince Leafstar to leave here, because it's dangerous, and their young cats have no fear of Twolegs. They return to camp, and Curlypaw asks if it's okay to talk now. She admits that she's leaving to become a kittypet, along with Parsleyseed. Hawkwing is shocked and doesn't want her to leave, but the she-cat insists that she'll always be grateful to him. He leaves and goes back to the nursery to think, settling next to Plumwillow and her kits.
- Hawkwing travels with Curlypaw towards Twolegplace and says goodbye once more as the she-cat pads away. He goes back to camp and finds Leafstar and Waspwhisker, asking to speak with them. The dark gray tells them of his concerns of living here by the lake, and states his reason why they should leave. Leafstar agrees that they need to leave, but Waspwhisker protests. The leader insists this is what's best, and says she'll go to Fidgetpaw about getting traveling herbs. Leafstar calls a Clan meeting and announces that they'll be leaving, which has mixed reactions. Waspwhisker silences every cat's concerns, stating that they'll be following their leader. Later that night, Hawkwing and Leafstar sit together, and talking about their time at this lake.
- Later that night, Hawkwing dreams of losing Pebbleshine again. He abruptly wakes up to cats stirring the den, saying that there are Twolegs in the forest. Five Twolegs barge into camp with large sticks and weblike structures, and they capture Fidgetpaw and Waspwhisker. Leafstar orders her cats to flee and meet by the lake. Hawkwing and Plumwillow work together to get her kits to safety, heading for the reeds. The Twolegs capture Birdwing and Clovertail as well, and then leave. Leafstar announces that the Twolegs are no longer willing to live in peace with them, so they must leave. She appoints Hawkwing as her new deputy, and he is shocked but accepts the position. SkyClan cheers for them, and then the cats start to walk away from the lake.
- A half moon later, Hawkwing sits in SkyClan's new makeshift camp, surveying the bleak surroundings. Macgyver comes up to him and says he's going hunting, but collapses moments later. The next day, two more fall ill, and Hawkwing and Firefern try to figure out which herb to use since SkyClan has no medicine cat. Finkit becomes sick, and the dark gray tom thinks that he'll do whatever possible to save the kit. Sagenose points out that they should split up, so they don't sit around waiting to die. This makes Leafstar angry, and she insists that they will stay together. Firefern becomes sick, and the leader tells Hawkwing to lead the rest of the Clan in search of Echosong. She tells him not to return until they've found her, and calls a Clan meeting. He agrees to support her, and she begins to explain the plan to SkyClan.
- However, Echosong returns moments later and begins to treat the sick cats. Every cat is very relieved to see her, along with the two warriors she was traveling with. Days after, Firefern and Rileypool die, though the rest recover from their sickness. Many cats begin to question whether to continue traveling, having blind faith in StarClan. Leafstar and Echosong say they must, and Hawkwing meows that he agrees as well, but inwardly feels torn. The next day, Sandynose and Fallowfern return to the Clan, which lifts spirits. They tell the story of what happened to them, and are praised for how well they coped during their travels. Hawkwing is disheartened when Sandynose is reunited with his kits, but makes an effort to let the father connect with his kits. However, that night, the litter sneaks to the gray tom's nest, saying that they don't want to be with Plumwillow because Sandynose is there. He gently explains that the other tom is their father, and convinces them to give him a chance, though he inwardly feels otherwise.
- SkyClan continues to travel, coming near a Twolegplace. Leafstar and Hawkwing work to keep the Clan clustered together as they pass through, going in small groups. They soon reach a forest, though the prey there is all hiding away. SkyClan continues to wander for two more moons, and stop to rest in a sheltered hollow. Echosong announces that she's had another vision, and explains it to the Clan. Next, Leafstar appoints Finpaw, Dewpaw, and Reedpaw as apprentices, which boosts morale. Hawkwing cheers for them, and then goes to talk with Echosong. She tells him that she saw cats who looked like his kin, which encourages him that his kin may be alive. They sit together and stare at the clearing sky, thinking about where SkyClan will go next.
- In the manga adventure after the book, Hawkwing is shown leading his Clan to the lake. He then wishes he knew where they were going, and grives for thier dead medicine cat, Echosong. He feels like the Clan has been lost, and has no purpose. He recalls Echosong's vision, to follow the blood trail, and grieves for his lost mate, Pebbleshine. He then sees his foster children with their real father, Sandynose, who takes Dewpaw, Finpaw, and Reedpaw on a hunt. Plumwillow asks Hawkwing if he is all right, because his foster children are so attached to their real father.
- Later, Dewpaw is bringing a squirrel to the makeshift camp, and Sandynose asking Leafstar if it would be better having a firm destination. She tells him to have faith, and that very moment, Hawkwing sees a fiery-colored leaf with five points. The five points presumably represents the five Clans: ThunderClan, SkyClan, RiverClan, WindClan, and ShadowClan. Leafstar tells everyone to find shelter until a wind storm passes, but Hawkwing ignores her. He remembers Echosong talking about a leaf like this one, and wonders if this is what she meant. He ignores Leafstar's calls for him to come back, until he comes to a cliff edge and the wind dies. It falls down and Leafstar scolds him. He looks up and remembers Echosong and Leafstar's words: "Have faith. You have to have faith," and "Follow the blood trail." He then sees red streaks straight across the sky.
- While initially unsure as to whether or not this book featured SkyClan, it was later revealed to be about modern SkyClan, and that the chosen cat would make fans very happy.
- Ravenpaw's Farewell takes place before this book.
- A compiled list of the errors present in Hawkwing's Journey can be found here.
- Hawkwing's Journey (EN), HarperCollins (Hardcover), 1 November 2016
- Hawkwing's Journey (EN), HarperCollins (Library), 1 November 2016
- Hawkwing's Journey (EN), HarperCollins (e-book), 1 November 2016
- Hawkwing's Journey (EN), HarperCollins (Paperback), 5 September 2017
- 鷹翅的旅程 (ZH), MorningStar (paperback), 1 September 2018
Notes and references
- ↑ Revealed on Kate's blog
- ↑ Revealed in Hawkwing's Journey, page back jacket
- ↑ Revealed on the inside right flap of Hawkwing's Journey
- ↑ Revealed on HarperCollins
- ↑ Revealed on HarperCollins
- ↑ Revealed on Kate's blog
- ↑ Revealed on Kate's blog
- ↑ Revealed on Kate's blog
- ↑ Revealed on Kate's blog
- ↑ Revealed on Abovethetreeline.com
- ↑ Revealed on Kate's blog
- ↑ Revealed on Vicky's Facebook
- ↑ Revealed on HarperCollins' website
- ↑ Revealed on HarperCollins' website
- ↑ Revealed on HarperCollins' website
- ↑ Revealed on HarperCollins' website
- ↑ Revealed on 
|Hawkwing's Journey chapters|
|Prologue • Chapter 1 • Chapter 2 • Chapter 3 • Chapter 4 • Chapter 5 • Chapter 6 • Chapter 7 • Chapter 8 • Chapter 9 • Chapter 10 • Chapter 11 • Chapter 12 • Chapter 13 • Chapter 14 • Chapter 15 • Chapter 16 • Chapter 17 • Chapter 18 • Chapter 19 • Chapter 20 • Chapter 21 • Chapter 22 • Chapter 23 • Chapter 24 • Chapter 25 • Chapter 26 • Chapter 27 • Chapter 28 • Chapter 29 • Chapter 30 • Chapter 31 • Chapter 32 • Chapter 33 • Chapter 34 • Chapter 35 • Manga|
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.