|"We have to let the warrior code rule our hearts. The death of a warrior does not mean victory."|
|— Hollyleaf explaining to Dovewing why she let Sol go in The Forgotten Warrior, page 314-315|
Hollyleaf was a ThunderClan warrior that served under Firestar's leadership in the lake territories. She was born as Hollykit to Squirrelflight and Brambleclaw alongside her brothers, Lionkit and Jaykit. Initially, Hollypaw trained as a medicine cat apprentice with Leafpool as her mentor; however, she decided to train as a warrior, with Brackenfur becoming her new mentor. Hollypaw soon learned of a prophecy that concerned her, Jaypaw, and Lionpaw.
After becoming a warrior, Hollyleaf and her siblings were cornered in a fire by Ashfur, and in order to save them, Squirrelflight revealed that they were not her kits. In the wake of discovering that Leafpool and Crowfeather were her true parents, Hollyleaf killed Ashfur to keep him from telling the Clans, but frustrated that nothing had changed, she ultimately revealed the secret herself at a Gathering. Thereafter, Hollyleaf disappeared into the tunnels and became close with Fallen Leaves; however, after being believed to be dead, she returned to her Clan and fought in the Great Battle, saving Ivypool from Hawkfrost. As she died, Hollyleaf finally forgave Squirrelflight and Leafpool, ascending to StarClan soon after.
Looking for a longer overview? Find one here!
- "Coward! I'm not afraid of the truth! Leafpool is our mother, and Crowfeather–yes, Crowfeather of WindClan–is our father. These cats were so ashamed of us that they gave us away and lied to every single one of you to hide the fact that they had broken the warrior code. It's all her fault. How can the Clans survive when there are cowards and liars at the very heart of them?"
- ―Hollyleaf revealing the truth at the Gathering Sunrise, page 306
- Hollypaw and her siblings travel to the mountains to help the Tribe of Rushing Water fight off intruding rogues, and Jaypaw tells Lionpaw and Hollypaw of a prophecy involving them. Hollypaw stresses about the prophecy, wondering what her powers are and how they can be used to preserve the warrior code. She is the first to see Sol, who she and her brother believe can help them with the prophecy. She is later made a warrior alongside Lionpaw and Cinderpaw, receiving the name Hollyleaf. After Sol convinces ShadowClan to stop believing in StarClan, Hollyleaf helps to create a fake sign from StarClan, but later becoming a real sign when StarClan cats appear.
- After a fire starts near ThunderClan's camp, Squirrelflight, Hollyleaf, Lionblaze, and Jayfeather are trapped; however, Ashfur blocks the way out and threatens to kill the siblings as revenge for Squirrelflight loving Brambleclaw instead of him. Squirrelflight reveals that Hollyleaf, Lionblaze, and Jayfeather are not her kits, and Hollyleaf resents Squirrelflight for having lied. When it is discovered that her biological parents are Leafpool and Crowfeather, Hollyleaf is devastated. She is horrified when Ashfur threatens to tell the truth and murders him to keep him quiet. Wracked with guilt, Hollyleaf reveals the secret at a Gathering. She then threatens to kill Leafpool with deathberries, but is convinced not to. Pursued by her brothers, she runs into the tunnels, which collapse behind her.
- "No, they made a mistake. They were just trying to make it better. No one should have died because Leafpool's heart led her along the wrong path. Doesn't every cat do that sometime in their life?"
- ―Hollyleaf to Lionblaze The Last Hope, page 137
- Hollyleaf prepares ThunderClan for WindClan's surprise attack by teaching them how to fight underground. During the battle, she confronts Sol and nearly kills him, but lets him go. In the battle against the Dark Forest, Hollyleaf saves Ivypool from Hawkfrost, but is gravely injured by the Dark Forest tom. Distraught, Ivypool, with the help of Tigerheart, carry her back to camp, where Hollyleaf and Leafpool make amends before Hollyleaf dies. When the Ancients join to help fight the battle, Fallen Leaves mourns for his friend briefly before joining the fight. After the battle, Hollyleaf's spirit is seen rising from her body and following the others that perished during the battle, leaving with StarClan.
- In Crowfeather's Trial, Crowfeather often thinks of his ThunderClan daughter and regrets not spending time with her before her death. Later on, as he and Leafpool discuss their kits, the two are both upset that they won't be able to see her anymore, and Leafpool admits that Hollyleaf couldn't accept the fact that she was half-Clan.
- "It’s almost like [Lionblaze and Jayfeather] are kits again...our kits. Bramblestar thought. A pang of sorrow pierced him as he pictured Hollyleaf. She should be with us. I hope she found peace in StarClan."
- ―Bramblestar thinking about his adopted kits Bramblestar's Storm, page Chapter 21
- Hollyleaf: "It's time, isn't it?"
- Fallen Leaves: "Go well. I will never forget you, Hollyleaf."
- Hollyleaf's Story, page 95
- In Leafpool's Wish, Leafpool and Squirrelflight travel away from ThunderClan so Leafpool can give birth. A black she-kit is born first, and Squirrelflight suggests naming her Hollykit since her fur is as dark as holly bark. Leafpool believes Hollykit to be gentle and thoughtful. Leafpool and Squirrelflight take the kits back to ThunderClan, and Leafpool promises to watch over them.
- In Hollyleaf's Story, Hollyleaf narrowly escapes the tunnels collapsing. She cries for help, but fades out of consciousness. She wakes up to find Fallen Leaves tending to her wounds. Fallen Leaves heals her and offers to show her the way out when her injuries heal. She says no, and she stays with Fallen Leaves in the tunnel in a form of self-exile. She lives underground and occasionally goes up to the surface to help ThunderClan. She saves Ivypool and Blossomfall when they get lost and later Cherrypaw and Molepaw. Fallen Leaves tells her that she should return home, and when WindClan starts to plan an attack with Sol, she gives in.
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
This list shows the victims Hollyleaf has killed:
|Hollypaw's apprentice ceremony|
|Hollyleaf's warrior ceremony|
Personality and Relationships
- Hollyleaf is intensely devoted to the warrior code. She is ambitious, loyal, and clever. After it was revealed that she is Leafpool and Crowfeather's kit, her world shattered, forcing her to self exile. For more of Hollyleaf's personality and relationships, click here!
- Hollyleaf's biological parents are Leafpool and Crowfeather, and her siblings are Jayfeather and Lionblaze. Her adoptive parents are Squirrelflight and Bramblestar. For more of Hollyleaf's family, click here!
- Sunset (Indirect mention only)
- Leafpool's Wish
- The Sight (First appearance)
- Dark River
- Long Shadows
- Hollyleaf's Story
- The Fourth Apprentice (Mentioned only)
- Fading Echoes (Mentioned only)
- Night Whispers (Mentioned only)
- Sign of the Moon
- The Forgotten Warrior
- The Last Hope †
- Dovewing's Silence (Mentioned only)
- Crowfeather's Trial (Mentioned only)
- Bramblestar's Storm
- The Apprentice's Quest (Mentioned only)
- Darkest Night
- River of Fire (Indirect mention only)
- Squirrelflight's Hope
- Lost Stars
- The Silent Thaw (Mentioned only)
- Darkness Within (Mentioned only)
- Graystripe's Vow (Mentioned only)
- The Place of No Stars (Indirect mention only)
- Cats of the Clans
- Battles of the Clans (Mentioned only)
- The Ultimate Guide
- After Sunset: The Right Choice? (Indirect mention only)
- Beyond the Code: Brightspirit's Mercy
- Did you know that Hollyleaf is the spitting image of her father, Crowfeather? For more trivia about Hollyleaf, click here!
Notes and references
- Revealed in The Last Hope, page 327
- Revealed in The Sight, allegiances
- Revealed in The Forgotten Warrior, page 187
- Revealed in The Sight, page 5
- Revealed in The Last Hope, page 295
- Revealed in The Sight, page 251
- Revealed in Eclipse, page 317
- Revealed in The Sight, page 88
- Revealed in Sunrise, page 314
- Revealed in The Forgotten Warrior, page 164
- Revealed in The Sight, page 27
- Revealed in Dovewing's Silence, page 19
- Revealed in Dovewing's Silence, page 13
- Revealed in The Sight, page 140
- Revealed in The Sight, page 214
- Revealed in Sunrise, page 313