|"Those aren’t our names anymore. I am Snake."|
|— Hoot to Barley in Secrets of the Clans, page 139|
Hoot was a former member of BloodClan. He was born under Scourge’s leadership along with his siblings, Jumper, Barley, and Violet. Unlike Barley and Violet, Hoot and Jumper were loyal to Scourge, and they changed their names to seem more fearsome, Hoot changing his name to Snake. He and Jumper, who renamed himself Ice, almost killed Violet when Scourge ordered them to. Later, when Scourge was killed, Snake and Ice tried to rebuild BloodClan as its new leaders. Their plans were foiled by Barley, Ravenpaw, and ThunderClan, and Hoot and Jumper begged Barley to shelter them because of their kinship. Barley let them stay in his barn for a brief while, but when they started abusing Ravenpaw, he kicked them out, and they haven’t been seen since.
- 1 History
- 2 Character pixels
- 3 Official art
- 4 Kin
- 5 Killed victims
- 6 Appearances
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Quotes
- 9 External links
- 10 Notes and references
In the Super Editions
- "She knows the rules. She would have had to give up her kits once they were born, anyway. The fact that she cares so much for them that she would betray us in battle proves that she is not one of us...she is not a true BloodClan cat."
- ―Snake about Gremlin Graystripe's Vow, page 348
- Snake is seen fighting in the battle against ThunderClan. He and his brother Ice are called upon by Fury in the middle of the battle to stop Gremlin from leaving with Cinderpelt, outing her as a traitor to BloodClan. They drag the pregnant queen towards their leader, much to Graystripe's shock and fury. Graystripe wonders if Snake is what StarClan meant about "avoiding the snake's bite." When Scraps confronts them, Snake sneers at Gremlin and says she isn't a true BloodClan cat because she cares about her kits, and the same could be said for Scraps. Snake viciously kills Gremlin's brother in front of her and Graystripe lunges at him to kill him. Fury stops Graystripe and tells him that if he kills Snake, she would kill Gremlin, causing Graystripe to let the BloodClan tom to his paws.
In the Ravenpaw's Path arc
- Barley sleeps at the Moonstone and has a dream about Snake and Ice attacking Violet in front of him.
- Later, outside of the dream, Barley meets Snake and Ice, who claim that they are the new leaders of BloodClan.
- After the battle with ThunderClan, Ice, along with Snake, allow Violet and Barley to talk to them, but Barley and Violet attack their brothers. Ice begs for Barley to spare him, blaming his followers for the stolen ThunderClan prey. He is last seen being chased out by the BloodClan cats with his brother.
- Hoot is first seen with Jumper, at the Twoleg barn fighting alongside BloodClan warriors that they have brought. Barley is dismayed, yet Ravenpaw comforts him by saying that they were calling themselves "Hoot" and "Jumper", not Snake or Ice, which might mean they are no longer part of BloodClan, so they are vulnerable.
- On the second attack, Hoot and Jumper are cornered at the end by the white dog, and start to cry for help, saying that Willie had lied to them and that they didn't know it was his farm. Barley jumps in to save them, though comments that they are weak, yet they're his brothers. When the fight is over, the two ask to stay, saying that Willie will kill them if they go back. Even though Barley is hesitant, he lets them stay, saying that he will talk to them more in the morning after he and Ravenpaw were done cleaning.
- In the morning, Ravenpaw offers to show Hoot and Jumper around while Barley takes a walk, though Ravenpaw soon finds out what he is in for. He describes them as lazy, and how they just want everything handed to them. After the tour, Ravenpaw is exhausted, so he takes a nap. The two brothers create a mess in the barn, which Barley shows to Ravenpaw after he wakes him up. They say that they were just trying to catch mice, and that they need someone to show them how. Though Ravenpaw says that he was showing them all day, Hoot tells Barley that Ravenpaw made them collect all the herbs and supplies while Ravenpaw was sleeping. Barley believes them, and later they go on a walk together. When they come back, they order Ravenpaw to catch them dinner and they sleep in his nest that night.
- The next morning, they ask Ravenpaw to catch them a mouse, and even though he says they should try it on their own, they refuse, saying that he is "the best". Yet when he comes back, they are getting yowled at by Barley, who is furious about how they are treating Ravenpaw, and tells them to get out. Astonished, they tell them that they are kin, but Barley states that blood isn't everything. At first, they refuse, and say that they could take Barley down in a second. But then Barley slashes him across the face, making them realize they have lost the battle. They leave by saying Barley is pathetic, and how they would have never wanted to stay there anyway. In return, Barley retorts that he pities them, for they have nowhere else to go and no friends to help them. Then he asks rhetorically how long they last before they turn on each other.
In the Field Guides
- Although not mentioned by name, it is mentioned on Ravenpaw's and Barley's page that Barley was forced to watch his sister be attacked by none other than her remaining littermates, under the orders of Scourge.
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
|Ravenpaw ♂||Barley ♂||Violet ♀||Hoot ♂||Jumper ♂|
|Rabbitleap ♂||Bellaleaf ♀||Rileypool ♂||Lulu ♀||Patch ♂|
|Wrenpaw ♀||Two kits|
= Gender Unknown
This list shows the victims Hoot has killed:
- The Darkest Hour (Indirect mention only)
- Graystripe's Vow
- A Clan in Need
- The Heart of a Warrior
- Secrets of the Clans (First appearance; retconned)
- The Ultimate Guide (Indirect mention only)
- Hoot is noted to look exactly like Barley.
The following information is from sources considered non-canon or retconned.
- In Secrets of the Clans, a 2007 field guide, after being abandoned by their mother, he and Jumper join BloodClan as both brothers admire strength and power, and want some of their own. Barley notices their cold, hard eyes that didn't exist when they were kits and their tooth-studded collars. Hoot's name then turns into Snake and Jumper's changes to Ice. Violet is caught living with Barley, and Ice and Snake emerge from the darkness, ready to kill her. When Barley asks to fight in her place and Scourge refuses, Snake and Ice stalk up to Violet—while Barley is pinned down by Bone—and attack her brutally, leaving her to die.
- Snake: "So the ginger fool is really going. What is he thinking? He's leaving his Clan leaderless and undefended."
- Gremlin: "Who is the cat with Firestar?"
- Graystripe's Vow, page 2
- "At last! This is BloodClan's chance for revenge! Come on. We need to tell Fury."
- ―Snake to Gremlin Graystripe's Vow, pages 2-3
- Barley: "Jumper? Hoot?"
- Hoot: "Those aren't our names anymore. I am Snake."
- Secrets of the Clans, page 139
- (Indirect mention only)
Notes and references
- Revealed in The Heart of a Warrior, page 86
- Revealed in Ravenpaw's Path, page 154
- Revealed in The Heart of a Warrior, page 39
- Revealed in A Clan in Need, page 84
- Revealed in A Clan in Need, page 71
- Revealed in A Clan in Need, page 83
- Revealed in The Heart of a Warrior, page 72
- Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 247
- Revealed in Ravenpaw's Path, page 163
- Revealed in Ravenpaw's Path, page 153
- Revealed in Ravenpaw's Farewell, page Chapter 2
- Revealed in Lost Stars, allegiances
- Revealed in Lost Stars, chapter 2
- Revealed in Graystripe's Vow, page 349
- Revealed in Secrets of the Clans, page 138
|Leaders||Scourge • Claw • Fury • Snake • Ice|
|Members||Brick • Hoot • Jumper • Jaggedtooth • Minty • Pounce • Snapper • Snipe • Tess • Willie|
|Former members||Barley • Violet • Boulder • Gremlin • Scraps|