|"I have no reason to mislead you. You might have trouble convincing the Sisters to help you, though, after the Clans drove them from their camp. But as you say, that was moons ago. And your kin took in my kin after the battle, healed their wounds, and nursed their young. If they hadn't, my littermates and I would have died along with our mother, Moonlight."|
|— Leaf to Rootspring, Bristlefrost, Spotfur, and Needleclaw in Darkness Within, page 162|
In The Broken Code arc
- "I don't judge one cat by another cat's actions. If your Clan is in trouble, I can't let you suffer. I will give you directions to the Sisters. You can travel there alone."
- ―Leaf to Rootspring Darkness Within, page 162
- When the journeying cats are trekking through the Twolegplace, they run into a large white dog, and Leaf appears, at first unnamed. The gray tom directs the cats to head towards the den, and he stands his ground in front of the dog, with another dog appearing. Leaf heads around the dogs as they can't scent him through the Twoleg clutter, and Leaf yowls to the patrol to go through a hole where the dogs can't go through it. He later leads Rootspring, Needleclaw, Spotfur, and Bristlefrost through the roof of the Twoleg den and finds the hole. Though the dogs are trying to find them, Leaf slashes at one of the dog's muzzles. After purring, Rootspring notes Leaf's thick and lustrous pelt resembles his father, Tree. Bristlefrost says that Leaf is really brave and thanks him for saving their lives, and Leaf responds by saying he had dealt with that sort of stuff before. As Leaf mentions everkits, Rootspring realizes he is the cat they are looking for.
- Leaf introduces himself after Needleclaw tells him they are searching for a cat named Leaf. The gray tom realizes that Rootspring and Needleclaw resemble the Sisters, while Rootspring comments that he looks like them also. As he stares at Spotfur, he is glad that the Sisters have their claws wide, telling everyone that Spotfur is expecting kits, though she isn't related to the Sisters. He asks them why they're looking for the Sisters as the Clans drove them out of their camp moons before. Needleclaw mentions they're looking for a lost Clanmate, and Leaf questions why the Sisters would help them find their lost Clanmate. Leaf informs the patrol that the Sisters are traveling along the river, telling them it's beyond the forest they're in. He explains to Rootspring that he can locate the Sisters, telling the Clan cats that if he can concentrate, he can feel where they are. When questioned, Leaf describes that he can ask the earth, and the earth speaks to him. He shows Rootspring how to speak to the earth and goes between the trees, stopping beneath an oak. Rootspring watches as Leaf pushes his paws one at a time into the earth as if he is taking a battle stance. While closing his eyes, Leaf's legs grow stiff, and the muscles along his back softened while his pelt becomes smooth. After a bit of time, Leaf announces that he located the Sisters and informs them to cross the water, though it can be be dangerous. He adds that they won't move for at least a moon due to Sunshine expecting kits.
- Needleclaw pulls Rootspring aside and tells her brother that she doesn't trust Leaf, saying that they only have just met him. Rootspring responds that he saved their lives, and Bristlefrost adds in that cats can't talk to the earth. Needleclaw agrees with Bristlefrost, stating that Leaf has bees in his brain, but Rootspring suggests following him and see where it takes them. Needleclaw argues why they should follow a tom they had just met, but Rootspring asks his sister if they have a better idea, to which Needleclaw finally agrees. After arguing, Leaf interrupts them, stating that he knows they don't trust him, and though they may be kin, they have chosen different paths. Leaf tells them that he has no reason to mislead them, and though the Clans drove out the Sisters, SkyClan gave them sanctuary after the battle and nursed him and his littermates after their mother died. He says he would have died alongside Moonlight without the Clans' help. Rootspring asks him how he can be so forgiving, and Leaf says that he can't let their Clans suffer if they're in trouble, telling them the direction the Sisters went. Bristlefrost offers to camp with him for the night and to go hunting with them.
- Leaf bids farewell to Spotfur, Needleclaw, Bristlefrost, and Rootspring, and the gray she-cat notes that Leaf's silhouette glowing in the sunlight makes him look like a spirit. Bristlefrost notes that Leaf is hardly more than a loner with what he has helped them with. Later, Bristlefrost asks Rootspring if he liked Leaf, and the yellow tom replies that Leaf is his kin and reminds him of Tree. Rootspring is proud to be related to Leaf. After finding the Sisters, Bristlefrost says that Leaf told them they would be nearby, and Sunrise questions if they have seen Leaf. The gray she-cat answers, saying that Leaf is alive and well.
- Tree mentions how Rootspring nursed alongside Moonlight's kits to encourage the Sisters to help them.
In the Super Editions
- "He's going to be trouble."
- ―Tempest about Leaf Squirrelflight's Hope, page chapter 29
Please do not edit this gallery
- Ice: Living (As of Tree's Roots)
- Sunrise: Living (As of The Place of No Stars)
- Unnamed she-kits: Status unknown
- Tempest: Living (As of Darkness Within)
- Stone: Living (As of Squirrelflight's Hope)
- Grass: Living (As of Squirrelflight's Hope)
- Snow: Living (As of The Place of No Stars)
- Furze: Living (As of Darkness Within)
- Creek: Living (As of Squirrelflight's Hope)
- Flurry: Living (As of The Place of No Stars)
- Sparrow: Living (As of Darkness Within)
- Hawk: Living (As of Darkness Within)
- Petal: Living (As of Tree's Roots)
- Mud: Living (As of Tree's Roots)
- Snail: Living (As of Tree's Roots)
- Chestnut: Living (As of Tree's Roots)
- Haze: Deceased, verified ghost
- Stream: Deceased, verified ghost
- Spider: Status unknown
- Cloud: Status unknown
- Sunshine: Living (As of Daisy's Kin)
|See More||Root ♂||Moonlight ♀||Jack ♂|
|Violetshine ♀||Tree ♂||Sunrise ♀||Ice ♀||Squirrel ♀||Leaf ♂||Moon ♀||Unnamed ♂||Unnamed|
|Rootspring ♂||Needleclaw ♀|
= Gender Unknown
- Squirrelflight's Hope (First appearance)
- Darkness Within
- The Place of No Stars (Indirect mention only)
- "Rootspring blinked at him. Was this a kittypet? It can't be. He's too brave.'"
- ―Rootspring's first thoughts on Leaf Darkness Within, page 156
- Leaf: "I'm Leaf. Why are you looking for me?"
- Rootspring: "We're trying to find the Sisters. We thought you might know where they are."
- Darkness Within, page 157
- "Why are Clan cats looking for the Sisters? Didn't you drive them from their camp?"
- ―Leaf questioning the patrol Darkness Within, page 158
- Leaf: "The Sisters were heading toward sunrise-place. I can locate them for you, but it will take me a while."
- Rootspring: "What do you mean?"
- Darkness Within, page 159
- "Leaf padded between the trees and stopped beneath an oak. Curious, Rootspring followed, watching as Leaf pushed his paws carefully, one at a time, into the earth, like he was taking a battle stance. He closed his eyes, his legs growing stiff while the muscles along his back softened and his pelt smoothed."
- ―Leaf showing Rootspring how to speak to the earth Darkness Within, page 159
- "Forgive me for interrupting, but I can see you don't trust me. I understand. We might be kin, but we have chosen different paths."
- ―Leaf when Rootspring and Needleclaw were arguing Darkness Within, page 161
- "Bristlefrost narrowed her eyes against the glare of the morning light as she watched Leaf cross the meadow. Sunlight lit his silhouette so that he seemed to glow like a spirit cat as he turned and dipped his his head in farewell. The tom's gaze locked with Rootspring's for a moment, and she saw Rootspring's fur ripple as the SkyClan warrior lifted his tail in a respectful salute."
- ―Bristlefrost observing Leaf and Rootspring Darkness Within, page 163
Notes and references
- Revealed in Darkness Within, page 186
- Revealed in Squirrelflight's Hope, page 405
- Revealed in Squirrelflight's Hope, page 409
- Revealed in Darkness Within, page 163
- Revealed in Darkness Within, page 154
- Revealed in Darkness Within, page 156
- Revealed in Darkness Within, page 155
- Revealed in Squirrelflight's Hope, page 84
- Revealed in Tree's Roots, chapter 1
- Revealed in Tree's Roots, chapter 2
- Revealed in Squirrelflight's Hope, page 94
- Revealed in Lost Stars, allegiances
- Revealed in Squirrelflight's Hope, page 61
- Revealed in Tree's Roots, allegiances
- Revealed in Tree's Roots, chapter 3
- Revealed in Darkness Within, page 190
- Revealed in Darkness Within, page 165
|Members||Snow • Tempest • Hawk • Furze • Sunrise • Flurry • Sparrow • Petal • Moon • Squirrel • Sunshine|
|Former members||Moonlight • Tree • Stone • Grass • Haze • Stream • Snail • Chestnut • Mud • Spider • Cloud • Leaf • Ice • Creek|
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.