|"Destiny isn't a path that any cat follows blindly. It is always a matter of choice, and sometimes the heart speaks loudest. Deep down, I always knew what I had to do, and that's why I came back to the Clan. Whatever else happens, I trust you to know the right thing to do as well. Listen to your heart, Lionblaze, because that's where your true destiny lies."|
|— Leafpool advising Lionblaze in Sign of the Moon, page 108|
Leafpool was a ThunderClan medicine cat who served under Firestar's, Bramblestar's, Rowanstar's, and Leafstar's leaderships in the lake territories. She was born as Leafkit to Firestar and Sandstorm alongside her sister, Squirrelkit, and was apprenticed as a medicine cat apprentice to Cinderpelt as Leafpaw. Following the Great Journey, Leafpaw discovered the Moonpool and earned her full medicine cat name, Leafpool. Soon after, she fell in love with Crowfeather, a WindClan warrior, and broke the warrior code to run away with him. However, after meeting Midnight, Leafpool and Crowfeather returned to Clans and assisted in the battle against the badgers that resulted in Cinderpelt's death.
Unbeknownst to the Clan, Leafpool gave birth to Crowfeather's kits, Lionblaze, Jayfeather, and Hollyleaf, who were raised by Brambleclaw and Squirrelflight to protect her, though Squirrelflight was the one who knew the truth. She initially mentored Hollypaw; however, Jaypaw became her apprentice after switching roles. After the secret was revealed by Hollyleaf, Leafpool stepped down from her position and became a warrior. After her kits forgave her, Leafpool returned as a medicine cat to assist during the Great Battle. Eventually, she mentored Puddleshine in ShadowClan and stayed in SkyClan when they had no medicine cat. Following the battle against the Sisters, Leafpool was gravely injured in a rockslide, and after her StarClan trial, she remained in StarClan, reuniting with her kin.
Looking for a longer overview? Find one here!
- "It's all right. I'll stay here and take good care of the Clan, I promise. One day we'll meet again, walking among the stars."
- ―Leafpool to Crowfeather Twilight, page 310
- She takes part on the Great Journey and, guided by Spottedleaf, discovers the Moonpool by the lake, earning her full name, Leafpool. Leafpool and Crowfeather fall in love and decide to flee the Clans to be together. After one night, they meet a badger, Midnight, who tells them that her kin is planning to attack ThunderClan. Leafpool realizes that she cannot abandon her Clan and her medicine cat duties, deciding to go back. Crowfeather is heartbroken by her decision to leave him and takes her home. Cinderpelt dies in the attack, and Leafpool pledges her loyalty to being a medicine cat.
- "I know I cannot be ThunderClan's medicine cat any longer. I'm so very sorry to you, Firestar, and to all my Clanmates. Please know that I tried my best, and regretted what I had done with every single breath. But I couldn't regret having my kits. They are fine cats, and I will always be proud of them."
- ―Leafpool's confession at the Gathering Sunrise, pages 306-307
- "There's nothing to forgive. You did what you thought was best. No cat can blame you for that."
- ―Jayfeather to Leafpool The Last Hope, page 249
- "You think it's that easy? I'm not training him to stalk birds. There's a lot to learn. And even then a medicine cat needs experience--more experience than you can get in a couple of moons."
- ―Leafpool to Rowanstar about training Puddlekit Thunder and Shadow, page chapter 1
- "I don't regret having my kits. Only that I lied about being their mother. I wish I'd had more courage, but I thought I was doing the best for everyone by choosing to remain a medicine cat. [...] But please don't turn Squirrelflight away. Everything she did was out of loyalty for me. I couldn't wish to have a better sister. [...] If some cat must be punished for what we did, punish me, not her."
- ―Leafpool to the StarClan cats during her trial Squirrelflight's Hope, pages 347-348
- In Crowfeather's Trial, Leafpool is asked to go to WindClan to tend to some of their wounded cats. She goes alongside Crowfeather, and she gives advice to Crowfeather about his relationship with Nightcloud, but realizes that that same advice could apply to their relationship. While tending to Crowfeather's wounds, she gets him to open up to her about his relationship with Breezepelt and Nightcloud, including his struggles to love Breezepelt. Leafpool gives him advice about how he should love all of his kits, including Lionblaze and Jayfeather.
- In Squirrelflight's Hope, Leafpool comforts her sister after she argues with Bramblestar. After several of her Clanmates fall ill to a mysterious sickness, Leafpool travels with Squirrelflight to the Sisters who reveal a cure. She and Squirrelflight share a dream of wounded kits and rush to aid Moonlight as she struggles to give birth. Leafpool leads Moonlight and her newborn kits to hide in a cave while the Clans attack the Sisters. Leafpool and Squirrelflight are fatally injured when the cave collapses, and during her trial to be accepted into StarClan, Leafpool reveals she doesn't regret breaking the code to have her kits. Despite Jayfeather and Alderheart's efforts to heal her, Leafpool dies but happily remains in StarClan while Squirrelflight returns to ThunderClan.
- "Be brave, my little son. I will always walk beside you, I promise."
- ―Leafpool's promise to Jaykit Leafpool's Wish, page chapter 10
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
|Leafpool's medicine cat ceremony|
- Leafpool's parents are Firestar and Sandstorm, and she secretly bore Crowfeather's kits, Lionblaze, Jayfeather, and Hollyleaf. For more of Leafpool's family, click here!
- Firestar's Quest
- A Clan in Need
- The Heart of a Warrior
- SkyClan's Destiny (Indirect mention only)
- Mothwing's Secret
- Midnight (First appearance)
- Winds of Change
- Leafpool's Wish
- The Sight
- Dark River
- Long Shadows
- Hollyleaf's Story (Mentioned only)
- The Fourth Apprentice
- Mistystar's Omen (Mentioned only)
- Fading Echoes
- Night Whispers
- Sign of the Moon
- The Forgotten Warrior
- The Last Hope
- Dovewing's Silence
- Crowfeather's Trial
- Bramblestar's Storm
- The Apprentice's Quest
- Thunder and Shadow
- Shattered Sky
- Darkest Night
- Tigerheart's Shadow (Mentioned only)
- River of Fire
- Tawnypelt's Clan
- The Raging Storm
- Squirrelflight's Hope †
- Lost Stars
- The Silent Thaw (Mentioned only)
- Veil of Shadows (Mentioned only)
- Darkness Within
- Graystripe's Vow (Mentioned only)
- The Place of No Stars (Mentioned only)
- Secrets of the Clans (Retconned)
- Code of the Clans
- Cats of the Clans
- Battles of the Clans
- The Ultimate Guide
- After Sunset: The Right Choice?
- After Sunset: We Need to Talk
- The Clans Decide
- Did you know Leafpool is named after Leafstar, and possibly Spottedleaf? For more trivia about Leafpool, click here!
Notes and references
- Revealed in Lost Stars: Bonus Scene
- Revealed in Twilight, page 252
- Revealed in Thunder and Shadow, page 22
- Revealed in Darkest Night, page 177
- Revealed in River of Fire, page 264
- Revealed in River of Fire, page 198
- Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 509
- Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 510
- Revealed in Squirrelflight's Hope, page 381
- Revealed in Leafpool's Wish, chapter 9
- Revealed in Midnight, allegiances
- Revealed in Twilight, allegiances
- Revealed in Starlight, page 287
- Revealed in The Fourth Apprentice, allegiances
- Revealed in Fading Echoes, page 196
- Revealed in The Sight, page 88
- Revealed in The Sight, page 245
- Revealed in Thunder and Shadow, page 126
- Revealed in The Apprentice's Quest, page 60
- Revealed in Sunset, page 203
- Revealed in Twilight, page 309
- Revealed in Leafpool's Wish, chapter 7
- Brightheart served as ThunderClan's temporary medicine cat while Leafpool left to give birth to her kits.
- Revealed in Sunrise, page 306
- Revealed in Thunder and Shadow, page 34
- Revealed in Thunder and Shadow, page 217
- Revealed in Darkest Night, page 294
- Revealed in Darkest Night, page 295
- Revealed in Midnight, page 19
- Revealed in Dawn, page 114
- Revealed in Midnight, page 144
- Revealed in Midnight, page 104