|"We shall miss Leopardstar. I remember her from all the way back when I was an apprentice in ThunderClan. I always respected her, and, though her loyalty to RiverClan never wavered, she was a leader who understood the importance of keeping every Clan strong. She had the heart, courage, and strength of the mighty cat she was named for."|
|— Firestar about Leopardstar after her death in Fading Echoes, page 113|
Leopardstar was a leader of RiverClan in the forest and lake territories. Leopardkit was born to Mudfur and Brightsky alongside three unnamed kits; however, Brightsky and her littermates died during the kitting. Mudfur gave her the name of the mighty spotted cats from LeopardClan to give her the strength to survive. Shimmerpelt took her in as if she were her own, and she gained two adopted siblings, Skykit and Blackkit. As a kit, Leopardkit was destined by her father for greatness, and the young kit pressed to begin her warrior training as soon as possible. Her attitude led to Skykit trying to drown Leopardkit, causing her to be afraid of water and be labeled as a drypaw. As an apprentice, Leopardpaw was mentored by Whitefang, and with the help of her friend, Sunpaw, Leopardpaw eventually became a strong swimmer. She earned her warrior name of Leopardfur. Leopardfur was shown to be fiercely loyal to RiverClan and eventually became deputy after Oakheart's death, concurrently becoming a maternal figure to her apprentice Whiteclaw, the son of her best friend Sunfish.
When Crookedstar died, Leopardfur received her leader name of Leopardstar, and she combined her Clan with ShadowClan to co-lead TigerClan with Tigerstar. However, after the death of her deputy, Stonefur, she began to have second thoughts. After Tigerstar's death, she joined her Clan with LionClan, and appointed Mistyfoot as deputy, feeling heavily guilty about Stonefur. As a leader, she became a mentor to Hawkfrost, and when Mistyfoot was captured by Twolegs, she temporarily chose Hawkfrost as her deputy, until Mistyfoot returned back to her original position. She led her Clan during the Great Journey and settled near the river. After leading RiverClan for several more seasons, Leopardstar lost her last life due to a sickness, and Mistyfoot took her place as leader. She eventually joined StarClan and fought in the battle against the Dark Forest.
Looking for a longer overview? Find one here!
- "These are difficult times. As we fight for survival we must be able to count on every one of our Clan mates. There is no room for divided loyalties. Do as Tigerstar tells you."
- ―Leopardstar ordering Stonefur to kill Stormpaw and Featherpaw The Darkest Hour, page 169
- Leopardfur is the deputy of RiverClan under the leadership of Crookedstar. As deputy, Leopardfur defends her Clan with tooth and claw and is a strict follower of the warrior code. When she and her patrol attack Fireheart and Graystripe on RiverClan territory as they head home from bringing back WindClan, she witnesses the death of another RiverClan warrior, Whiteclaw, after Graystripe accidentally causes him to fall into the gorge. She becomes intensely bitter against the two cats. Leopardfur is sent to retrieve Silverstream's kits, Stormkit and Featherkit, and refuses to trust Graystripe after he later joins RiverClan with his kits. Despite her distrust of other Clans, she helps ThunderClan flee to RiverClan after their camp is destroyed by a forest fire.
- After Crookedstar dies from greencough, Leopardfur receives her leader name and nine lives. She appoints Stonefur as her first deputy. Now that she is leader, she is able to banish Graystripe from RiverClan after he refuses to fight his friend Fireheart in a battle for Sunningrocks. After Tigerstar becomes leader of ShadowClan, he convinces Leopardstar to join their Clans together to become TigerClan so that they can rule the forest. Tigerstar's first decree is to rid TigerClan of half-Clan cats, which includes Leopardstar's deputy Stonefur, his sister Mistyfoot, and Graystripe's kits Featherpaw and Stormpaw. Blackfoot, Tigerstar's deputy, kills Stonefur after the RiverClan deputy fights for the honor of the half-Clan cats. Leopardstar is horrified at her deputy's death and immediately regrets her decision to join TigerClan. Leopardstar witnesses Tigerstar's gruesome death and believes that the Clans will be slaughtered at the claws of BloodClan. However, Firestar urges her to fight for the Clans, and she asks him to lead LionClan as she no longer has the strength to lead. She appoints Mistyfoot as her next deputy before the battle with BloodClan in honor of her brother's sacrifice.
- "RiverClan has no need to travel to some distant place on the word of a few dreaming warriors. The river is still full of fish. It would be stupid for us to leave. The other Clans’ troubles are not ours to worry about."
- ―Leopardstar to other Clans about leaving the forest Dawn, page 86
- Under Leopardstar's strong leadership, there are many moons of peace. When Mistyfoot is captured by Twolegs, she appoints Hawkfrost as her temporary deputy. However, to the delight of Leopardstar and the Clan, Mistyfoot returns and Leopardstar appoints her as deputy once more. Hawkfrost is privately angered by this decision, but openly accepts Mistyfoot's return. When the forest is destroyed by Twolegs, Leopardstar is the last leader to agree to leave the forest with the other Clans. She insists that RiverClan can survive off of the river and its fish, but eventually she is convinced that the Twolegs will destroy the river, and she leads RiverClan on the Great Journey.
- Upon arriving to their new home, Leopardstar is determined to find the best camp for RiverClan and claim as much territory as possible. She is unaware of Hawkfrost's plots with Mudclaw, but her deputy Mistyfoot witnesses the situation and receives help from ThunderClan to stop Mudclaw's rebellion. When Hawkfrost makes up a sign about Stormfur and Brook being obstacles to RiverClan's success, she is initially skeptical, but banishes the mountain cats after Stormfur attacks Hawkfrost in a fit of rage.
- "You should have left him where he was. Any cat with a flea's worth of sense would see that."
- ―Leopardstar siding with the other leaders about banishing Sol Sunset, page chapter 18
- "Fox dung! This is a trick! You're just trying to cheat RiverClan out of our fish. You want to get rid of some of our warriors so that we can't keep up with the patrols anymore."
- ―Leopardstar to Firestar at a Gathering The Fourth Apprentice, page 104
- In Crookedstar's Promise, Leopardkit is born to Mudfur and Brightsky along with three other kits. However, her mother and littermates die, and Leopardkit is cherished among every cat in the Clan. Leopardkit knows she is the favorite in the Clan, and uses this knowledge to try to convince Crookedjaw to teach her some battle moves. She becomes an apprentice with Whitefang as her mentor. As a warrior, she participates in a battle against the rats, and Hailstar is killed.
- "Stop feeling sorry for yourself and do something! You can't change the past. But you can change the future. You can save the Clans, and you will. You're strong and smart, and these cats decided to follow you, even after everything that's happened. They're looking to you to protect them. You can't let them down, not after everything they've been through. You owe them one last fight."
- ―Mudfur to Leopardstar following Tigerstar's death Leopardstar's Honor, page 527
- In Leopardstar's Honor, Leopardkit is told by her father that she is destined to save the Clans. Leopardkit is openly eager to begin her warrior training to start the path of her destiny, much to the displeasure of some of her denmates; Skykit even nearly drowns her as retribution for her arrogance. Leopardpaw becomes an apprentice at five moons old with Whitefang as her mentor. She and her mentor form a strong bond, and she soon earns her warrior name of Leopardfur. She is devastated when Whitefang and her close friend, Sunfish, die from a border skirmish against ThunderClan at Sunningrocks, and is determined the rival Clan must pay. She resumes Whitepaw's training and becomes a motherly figure towards him. Frogleap assists with his training, and he and Leopardfur grow close. However, she and Frogleap grow apart when Leopardfur focuses more on her deputy duties than spending time with Frogleap. She becomes leader after Crookedstar's death, and Tigerstar—whom Leopardstar admired when they were warriors—suggests they should join Clans to secure prey and stand against the other Clans as TigerClan. Mudfur discourages Leopardstar from Tigerstar's methods and her own ambition, but she continues to cast him aside. After Stonefur's death, Leopardstar realizes her mistake and after Tigerstar's death, Leopardstar decides that in order to fulfill her destiny, she must save her Clan by securing its future against BloodClan.
- In Mistystar's Omen, Leopardstar, weakened and frail by the drought, is barely clinging to her last life. Mistyfoot stays at her side, and Leopardstar says she never deserved her deputy's forgiveness for everything that happened during Tigerstar's rule. Before Leopardstar passes, she reveals she always thought of Mistyfoot as her surrogate daughter. Mistyfoot wakes up to find Leopardstar dead.
- In Return to the Clans, Sasha, a loner and former kittypet, takes her two kits, Hawk and Moth, to RiverClan where they are confronted by Leopardstar and a patrol. Leopardstar agrees for the three to join RiverClan, and names the kits Hawkpaw and Mothpaw. However, Sasha constantly refuses to accept a warrior name. When Hawkpaw and Mothpaw are playing with the remnants of the Bonehill, Leopardstar reprimands them and informs them of Tigerstar's rule. Leopardstar is hesitant when Sasha reveals she is leaving, but Leopardstar accepts her friend's decision and thanks Sasha for providing two apprentices for RiverClan.
Stand-Alone Graphic Novels
- "I am so sorry for the way I treated you. For allying with Tigerstar. I was so...so very wrong. I never should've trusted him. And I should've protected you. My own ambition blinded me until it was far too late. Listen, I...I'm grateful you've both returned to RiverClan. And I'll understand if you can never forgive me. But I want you to know...I'm so proud of the warriors you've grown into. No thanks to me."
- ―Leopardstar to Feathertail and Stormfur A Shadow in RiverClan, page 186
- Leopardstar is a sleek furred, dappled golden tabby she-cat. She has unusual, dark golden spots on her pelt, with a long, winding tail, and amber eyes.
Please do not edit this gallery
|Leopardfur's warrior ceremony|
|Leopardfur's deputy ceremony|
|Leopardstar's leader ceremony|
|Reference: Leopardstar's Honor, pages 421-426|
- Leopardstar is an independent, prideful and sassy leader. She does not care much for the needs of other Clans, but is fiercely loyal to RiverClan.
- More Coming Soon
- Coming Soon
Feathertail and Stormfur
- Coming Soon
- Whitefang was Leopardstar's mentor, but the two created a bond much before Leopardstar's apprentice days. Whitefang first interacts with Leopardstar when the latter is a kit, Leopardkit. Whitefang catches the young kit spying on two warriors, wanting to learn how to hunt. He teaches her about the difference between the scent of live versus the scent of dead prey, and helps her learn the difference of scents between meadow water and river water. Whitefang reports her to Hailstar, and when Leopardkit states that although Mudfur thinks she is too young and too small to become an apprentice, Whitefang doesn't share the same opinion, causing the white warror to look at his paws. When Leopardkit is apprenticed, becoming Leopardpaw, Whitefang manages to create a path around the obstacle of Leopardpaw being afraid of water, and is extremely impressed when Leopardpaw and Sunpaw bring him the news that Leopardpaw got over her fear. From then on, Whitefang did exclusive water training with her, knowing that he had to catch her up to the other apprentices. After passing her assessment of catching land prey, Leopardpaw earns her warrior name Leopardfur, and Whitefang is very proud of her.
- More Coming Soon
- Mudfur was Leopardstar's father, and being Brightsky's only surviving kit, Leopardstar was often spoiled by him.[source?]
- Coming Soon
- Coming Soon
- Coming Soon
- Coming Soon
- Coming Soon
Firestar and Graystripe
- Coming Soon
= Gender Unknown
= Gender Unknown
- Crookedstar's Promise
- Leopardstar's Honor
- Redtail's Debt (Allegiance only)
- Fire and Ice (First appearance)
- Forest of Secrets
- Rising Storm
- Tigerclaw's Fury (Allegiance only)
- A Dangerous Path
- The Darkest Hour
- Blackfoot's Reckoning
- A Shadow in RiverClan
- Firestar's Quest
- Graystripe's Vow
- Return to the Clans
- Mothwing's Secret
- Moonrise (Mentioned only)
- Winds of Change
- Leafpool's Wish (Allegiance only)
- The Sight
- Dark River
- Outcast (Allegiance only)
- Long Shadows (Allegiance only)
- Hollyleaf's Story (Allegiance only)
- The Fourth Apprentice
- Mistystar's Omen †
- Fading Echoes † (Mentioned only)
- Sign of the Moon (Mentioned only)
- The Last Hope (Mentioned only)
- The Apprentice's Quest
- A Light in the Mist (Mentioned only)
- Secrets of the Clans (Retconned)
- Cats of the Clans
- Battles of the Clans
- The Ultimate Guide
- Beyond the Code: Brightspirit's Mercy
- The Clans Decide
- Did you know Leopardstar was born as what her Clanmates called a "drypaw", meaning she originally didn't like to get her paws wet? For more trivia about Leopardstar, click here!
- "The whole Clan had spoiled the motherless kit, especially her father Mudfur, who doted on her, and she could wrap almost any Clanmate around her tail."
- ―Crookedjaw's observation Crookedstar's Promise, page 316
- "Look there! If it weren't for that traitor, Sunningrocks would be ours again. He is no longer a member of RiverClan. If you catch him on our territory, kill him."
- ―Leopardstar banishing Graystripe from RiverClan A Dangerous Path, page 194
- "I am leader here, Blackfoot. I make the decisions. And I'm not ready to give up yet-- not if there's a chance of driving out BloodClan."
- ―Leopardstar deciding to fight BloodClan The Darkest Hour, page 271
- "I am a great leader. I make tough decisions and stick to them. I discipline bad behavior with fair, strict punishment. My warriors would respect me and follow me to the end of the river if I told them to."
- ―Leopardstar Secrets of the Clans, page 52
- Leopardstar: "Just like you, Firestar. Always coming up with a plan. Do you think I don't know what you really have in mind?"
- Firestar: "I'm not hiding anything."
- The Fourth Apprentice, page 104
- "Three elders lost in a single season? I've had to watch my Clanmates starve to death because there were no fish to catch, nothing left in the lake but mud. And what about Rippletail? He was as brave as any of the other cats who went to find out where the water had gone- why didn't he deserve to come back? Did he go too far beyond the sight of StarClan?"
- ―Leopardstar about the drought Mistystar's Omen, pages 2-3
Notes and references
- Revealed in The Apprentice's Quest, page prologue
- Revealed in Fire and Ice, allegiances
- Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 210
- Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 136
- Revealed in Crookedstar's Promise, page 280
- Revealed in Fading Echoes, page 11
- Revealed on Vicky's Facebook (screenshot)
- Revealed in Crookedstar's Promise, page 286
- Revealed in Crookedstar's Promise, page 339
- Revealed in Crookedstar's Promise, page 411
- Revealed in A Dangerous Path, page 108
- Revealed in The Apprentice's Quest, page 5
- Revealed in Leopardstar's Honor, page 99
- Revealed in Mothwing's Secret, chapter 1
- Revealed in Fading Echoes, allegiances
- Revealed in A Dangerous Path, allegiances
- Revealed in Forest of Secrets, page 303
- Revealed in A Dangerous Path, page 13
- Revealed in Fire and Ice, page 23
- Revealed in Mistystar's Omen, chapter 1
- Revealed in A Dangerous Path, page 183
- Revealed in Leopardstar's Honor, page 421
- Revealed in Leopardstar's Honor, page 422
- Revealed in Leopardstar's Honor, page 423
- Revealed in Leopardstar's Honor, page 424
- Revealed in Leopardstar's Honor, page 425
- Revealed in Leopardstar's Honor, page 426
- Revealed in The Fourth Apprentice, page 15
- Revealed in The New Prophecy
- Revealed in Leopardstar's Honor, chapter 2
- Revealed in Crookedstar's Promise, pages 279-280
- Revealed in Crookedstar's Promise, page 316
- Revealed in Leopardstar's Honor, pages 104-105