|"You were always brave and clever and loyal, and you always helped any cat who needed you. You died saving me, and there's no way I can thank you properly for that."|
|— Thunderstar mourning Lightning Tail in Thunderstar's Echo, chapter 7|
Lightning Tail was the first deputy of ThunderClan under Thunderstar's leadership in the forest territories. He was born to Jackdaw's Cry and Hawk Swoop alongside his sister, Acorn Fur, and after gaining Thunder as an adopted brother, they formed a friendship that lasted throughout their lives. Though Lightning Tail grew up on the moor, he followed Thunder to his father's group in the forest. However, Thunder left to make his own group, and Lightning Tail stuck by his best friend's side. Thunder dubbed Lightning Tail as his successor, and he later became Thunderstar's first deputy and became a mentor to Apple Blossom. After dying to protect Thunderstar from dogs, Lightning Tail ascended to StarClan, and Thunderstar named his daughter Lightning Stripe in honor of him.
Looking for a longer overview? Find one here!
- "We need to train. Those cats wouldn't have stolen our prey so easily if we'd known what to do. We must practice fighting moves. We must learn new skills so that we're always prepared. We're strong and we're smart. If we practice, we can win even when we're outnumbered. Slash's rogues are just kittypets nobody wants. If we train hard and grow strong and learn fighting moves they've never seen, we will always be ready to defend what is ours."
- —Lightning Tail Path of Stars, pages 90-91
- As Thunder begins to pad after Star Flower, Lightning Tail suspects something off and expresses his worries to Thunder who dismisses them. When Tall Shadow's group splits off, he chooses to live in Clear Sky's group with his sister and Thunder. Lightning Tail bitterly warns Clear Sky about Star Flower when she joins the group, still hurt after she betrayed Thunder's trust. He and Thunder spy on Clear Sky, and they discover him meeting with Star Flower and wonder if she was attempting to use his power for herself. Thunder confronts his father and decides to leave and form his own group in the forest, and Lightning Tail immediately joins him.
- Leaf discovers a ravine for them to live in, and Lightning Tail helps to make dens and hunt for prey. He helps with the rescue for Star Flower when she is kidnapped by Slash and poses as bait for their ambush. When Slash's cats raid their hunting patrols, Lightning Tail decides to organize battle training sessions for everyone and suggests pairing one kit with each adult to work together. Before Thunder leaves with the others to confront Slash and rescue Black Ear, he names Lightning Tail his successor in case he dies.
- Lightning Tail: "I believe it's true. You've been the best leader I could have asked for, the strongest cat I know. StarClan will save you."
- Thunderstar: "If I was a good leader, it's only because I had you to rely on. I could never have formed ThunderClan without you."
- Thunderstar's Echo, page chapter 6
- In Thunderstar's Echo, he is now officially the deputy of ThunderClan and mentors Apple Blossom. Lightning Tail reassures Thunderstar when the latter discovers that Violet Dawn is expecting, and Thunderstar is relieved to have Lightning Tail around. Dogs terrorize the Clan, and he and Thunderstar track them to their camp near the Carrionplace. They are quickly attacked, and the two outrun the dogs and collapse, both dying from their wounds. They both wake up in StarClan, and Gray Wing welcomes them, but states Thunderstar must return to ThunderClan. Thunderstar agonizingly mourns for his friend and returns to his Clan with the grave news. He names Owl Eyes as his successor and names one of his kits, Lightning Stripe, after Lightning Tail.
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
This list shows the victims Lightning Tail has killed:
- Lightning Tail is a loyal, energetic, and skilled tom.
- More Coming Soon
- Lightning Tail mourns for his mother, Hawk Swoop, when she is killed in the Great Battle.
- More Coming Soon
- Lightning Tail is good friends with his sister, and they often played together as kits on the moor. After the Great Battle, when all the cats are choosing which camp to join, Acorn Fur chooses Clear Sky’s camp. Lightning Tail and Thunder later join her, but Thunder soon gets fed up with his father’s attitude and creates his own camp in the forest. Lightning Tail follows him, leaving his sister once again.
- Lightning Tail is Thunder’s foster brother, and his closest and most loyal friend. He is named after how he follows Thunder around, and he looks up to the powerful ginger tom. When Thunder creates his own group in the forest, Lightning Tail joins him, and eventually becomes deputy of ThunderClan. He is deeply loyal to his leader and his Clan, and supports his friend and is there for him. Thunderstar relies on Lightning Tail as his deputy, and is lost when Lightning Tail is killed by dogs. Lightning Tail is sad to leave his friend, but knows that he’ll eventually be okay without him. Thunderstar does eventually get over his grief, and appoints Owl Eyes as his new deputy.
= Gender Unknown
= Gender Unknown
- Lightning Stripe is named after him.
- Although Kate said that Lightning Tail was named for his speed,[blog 1] Thunder Rising states that Lightning Tail got his name from always following Thunder around.
- He has mistakenly been called "Lightning", "Lightening Tail", and "Lighting Tail".
- Despite being called an adult in The First Battle and being old enough to participate in battle, Lightning Tail is listed as a kit in The Blazing Star.
- Lightning Tail is mistakenly called a warrior, despite being ThunderClan's deputy at the time.
The following information is from sources considered non-canon or retconned.
- In Secrets of the Clans, a 2007 field guide, Lightningtail is the very first ThunderClan deputy, serving under the leadership of Thunderstar. It is unknown what happened to Lightningtail, but he is eventually succeeded by Owleyes, who later becomes Owlstar, the second leader of ThunderClan.
- (Warrior of the Week #4)
- (Indirect mention only)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Revealed in Thunderstar's Echo, chapter 6
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Revealed in Thunder Rising, allegiances
- ↑ Revealed in A Forest Divided, page 48
- ↑ Revealed in A Forest Divided, page 181
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Revealed in Thunderstar's Echo, allegiances
- ↑ Revealed in The First Battle, page 43
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Revealed in The First Battle, page 50
- ↑ Revealed in Thunderstar's Echo, chapter 1
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Revealed in Thunderstar's Echo, chapter 10
- ↑ Revealed in The First Battle, page 164
- ↑ Revealed in Path of Stars, page 81
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Revealed in Thunderstar's Echo, chapter 7
- ↑ Revealed in The Blazing Star, page 10
- ↑ Revealed in The Blazing Star, pages 239-240
- ↑ Revealed in Dawn of the Clans
- ↑ Revealed in The Blazing Star
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 Revealed in Thunder Rising
- ↑ Revealed in The First Battle
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 Revealed in A Forest Divided
- ↑ Revealed in Thunderstar's Echo
- ↑ 21.0 21.1 21.2 Revealed in Thunder Rising, page 5
- ↑ Revealed in The Sun Trail, page 311
- ↑ Revealed in The Sun Trail, page 93
- ↑ Revealed in Thunder Rising, page 16
- ↑ Revealed in The First Battle, page 212
- ↑ Revealed in The Blazing Star, page 161
- ↑ This happens multiple times throughout Path of Stars, on pages 57, 58, 60, and 73.
- ↑ Revealed in The First Battle, page 252
- ↑ Revealed in The Blazing Star, allegiances
- ↑ Revealed in Secrets of the Clans, page 22