|"He never seemed to get tired. Always first up and ready to move on. Never afraid of what lay ahead."|
|— Mousefur to Purdy about Longtail in Fading Echoes, page 162|
Longtail was a ThunderClan elder who lived under Firestar's leadership in the forest and lake territories and previously served as a warrior under Bluestar and Firestar. He was born to Robinwing and Patchpelt and was later apprenticed to Darkstripe. Longtail was one of Tigerclaw's strongest supporters, and he challenged Firepaw when he first joined ThunderClan, but was defeated by the kittypet. After Tigerclaw's betrayal, Longtail refused to join him, slowly earning Fireheart's respect. After his apprentice, Swiftpaw, was killed by Tigerstar's dogs, Longtail further turned his back on him. He gained Ferncloud as an apprentice and later became a mentor to Sootfur. Longtail was blinded by a rabbit and forced to retire early, but remained valued by the Clan. Longtail formed a close bond with his fellow elders, Mousefur and Purdy, but was killed by a falling tree. He ascended to StarClan and reunited with Mousefur during the battle against the Dark Forest. He was saddened when Mousefur was killed by a Dark Forest tom and killed him in turn.
Looking for a longer overview? Find one here!
- "Look at his collar! He's a kittypet! Once a kittypet, always a kittypet. This Clan needs wild-born warriors to defend it, not another soft mouth to feed."
- ―Longtail about Rusty Into the Wild, page 49
- When Rusty joins ThunderClan, Longtail fights him to prove his worth, and Rusty tears Longtail's ear, scarring the warrior for life, which greatly angers Longtail. Longtail tears Rusty's collar off, and Bluestar takes this as a sign that the kittypet should be accepted into ThunderClan. Longtail is made the mentor of Swiftpaw and continues to support Tigerclaw, until his betrayal and the truth about Redtail's death comes out. Longtail then declares loyalty to ThunderClan and begins to respect Fireheart. He eventually uncovers a plot by Tigerstar to try and destroy ThunderClan, and Swiftpaw is killed trying to fight the dogs, devastating the mentor. However, he receives Fernpaw as an apprentice when his own former mentor, Darkstripe, is exiled for his treason. Longtail fights against BloodClan and survives to tell the tale.
- "...But Longtail, I won't leave you behind. Yesterday you heard the WindClan cats coming before any other cat. You may have lost your eyes, but your ears and your sense of smell are as good as any warrior's. Please come with us."
- ―Firestar convincing Longtail to go on the Great Journey Dawn, page 220
- "Tigerstar was a great warrior. He was the strongest cat in the forest and the best fighter. When I was a young cat, I thought he would be the next leader of ThunderClan. I wanted to be just like him."
- ―Longtail to Foxkit and Icekit Outcast, page 28
- Purdy: "I wish I'd known him longer. I heard he made the Great Journey while he was blind."
- Mousefur: "He never seemed to get tired. Always first up and ready to move on. Never afraid of what lay ahead."
- Fading Echoes, page 162
- Longtail, now a spirit of StarClan, has regained his sight and takes part in the great battle where he is reunited with Mousefur and Purdy. When Mousefur is killed by a Dark Forest cat, Longtail flies into a rage and brutally mauls Mousefur's killer, causing them to fade from existence. When the battle is over, Longtail helps guide Mousefur into StarClan, along with the others that fell in the battle.
- In Firestar's Quest, Fernpaw becomes a warrior with the name of Ferncloud, and Longtail becomes the mentor to Sootpaw. However, Longtail is blinded while hunting a rabbit that turned on him and scratched his eyes, rendering him unable to hunt or fight properly. This causes him to fall into a depression and becomes an elder despite being relatively young, while Sootpaw is given Thornclaw as a replacement mentor. Firestar comforts Longtail and insists he will always have a place in ThunderClan.
- In Code of the Clans, Longtail and Darkstripe are assigned to a hunting patrol during a harsh leaf-bare. Despite managing to catch a squirrel, Longtail breaks the warrior code by allowing Darkstripe to convince him to eat their prey, rather than saving it for the elders. Because of this, an elder named Poppydawn is unable to fight her sickness and dies. Longtail blames himself for her death, but Darkstripe refuses to let him admit his wrongdoing.
Please do not edit this gallery
This list shows the victims Longtail has killed:
- Longtail's parents are Patchpelt and Robinwing. For more of Longtail's family, click here!
- Bluestar's Prophecy (Comic)
- Leopardstar's Honor
- Into the Wild (First appearance)
- Fire and Ice
- Forest of Secrets
- Rising Storm
- Tigerclaw's Fury
- A Dangerous Path
- The Darkest Hour
- Blackfoot's Reckoning (Allegiance only)
- Firestar's Quest
- Graystripe's Vow
- Mothwing's Secret (Allegiance only)
- Moonrise (Mentioned only)
- Leafpool's Wish (Mentioned only)
- The Sight
- Dark River
- Long Shadows
- Hollyleaf's Story (Allegiance only)
- The Fourth Apprentice
- Mistystar's Omen (Allegiance only)
- Fading Echoes †
- Night Whispers (Mentioned only)
- The Forgotten Warrior (Mentioned only)
- The Last Hope
- Bramblestar's Storm (Mentioned only)
- Darkest Night (Mentioned only)
- Squirrelflight's Hope
- Code of the Clans
- Battles of the Clans
- The Ultimate Guide (Mentioned only)
- He was named for his tail and knew from the beginning his warrior name would be Longtail.[blog 1]
- Vicky says that Longtail did not develop any romantic feelings for Mousefur, and that they were just good friends.
- Kate has described Longtail's tail as not freakishly long, just elegantly long.[blog 1]
- His name has been mistakenly spelled Longstripe in Code of the Clans.
- There has been much conflict over Longtail's description, namely his pelt color. Although called silver in Rising Storm, he is called brown less than fifty pages later. When asked about this, Kate, the author of Rising Storm, says that she sees tabbies as brown, and suspects that Cherith sees her tabbies as silver. Kate says that to her, Longtail is brown.[blog 2]
- He is listed in the allegiances of Mistystar's Omen despite dying before Briarlight earned her warrior name.
- "Call that a crouch? I've seen better on a three-legged rabbit!"
- ―Longtail taunting Fireheart Forest of Secrets, page 155
- "Whitestorm, you've got to listen to me. Fireheart thinks I'm a traitor, and he won't have anything to do with me."
- ―Longtail starting to warn Whitestorm about the dog pack A Dangerous Path, page 272
- Longtail: "I'll show you that you can trust me."
- Fireheart: "The Clan needs you, Longtail. Far more than Tigerstar and Darkstripe need you, believe me."
- A Dangerous Path, page chapter 24
- "Longtail, you are without an apprentice since Swiftpaw died. You were an excellent mentor to him, and I expect you to pass on your skills to Fernpaw for the rest of her apprenticeship."
- ―Firestar giving Longtail Fernpaw to mentor The Darkest Hour, page 119
- "Talk? We're warriors! We fight with tooth and claw, not words!"
- ―Longtail to Hollypaw about the upcoming battle Dark River, page 256
- (Indirect mention only)
- (Allegiance only)
- (Mentioned only)
- screenshot) (Poll option) (
- (Mentioned only)
- (Warrior of the Week #62)
Notes and references
- Revealed in The Last Hope, page 176
- Revealed in Into the Wild, allegiances
- Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 291
- Revealed in Fading Echoes, page 167
- Revealed in Fire and Ice, page 15
- Revealed in Rising Storm, page 306
- Revealed in Midnight, allegiances
- Revealed in Fire and Ice, page 14
- Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 119
- Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 31
- Revealed in Into the Wild, page 36
- Revealed in Rising Storm, page 268
- Revealed in Into the Wild, page 101
- Revealed in The Last Hope, page 319
- Revealed on Vicky's Facebook (screenshot)
- Revealed in Code of the Clans, page 42
- Revealed on the screenshot) (
- Revealed in Mistystar's Omen, allegiances