|"And I'm not mouse-brained enough to think that my Clan doesn't need me. If Mothpelt agrees, then I'll lead SkyClan."|
|— Maplewhisker accepting SkyClan's leadership in Code of the Clans, page 82|
In Code of the Clans, she witnesses her leader, Beechstar's, death. At the time, it was customary for a dying leader to appoint one of their children as their successor, not their deputy, so he names his son, Mothpelt, leader. Robinwing, a SkyClan warrior, doubts that he would be a good leader, but Maplewhisker tells him that Mothpelt would need their support, because he was loyal to the memory of his father and to SkyClan.
Mothpelt rashly decides to attack RiverClan in order to avenge Beechstar's death before his memory faded. He does not take into account that the river was badly flooded, making it very dangerous to cross. He leads the cats willing to follow into the river, but they cannot escape. Maplewhisker looks horrified when she sees the water, and everyone rushing into it. She watches as her Clanmates go into the water and is troubled whether to follow her leader or care for her safety. She quickly devises a plan to get her Clan out of the water before they drown. She says that each cat must hold onto their Clanmates' tails to make a chain so they will not be swept into the river.
After this plan is a success, Robinwing tells Maplewhisker that she should be Clan leader, not Mothpelt, and the whole Clan would respect her. She protests, but then accepts, saying she wasn't mouse-brained enough to think that her Clan didn't need her, and if Mothpelt let her, she would lead SkyClan.
Later, she is chosen to become the Clan leader instead of Mothpelt, and adds a law to the warrior code after Robinwing's prompting; the deputy will take over the leadership after the Clan leader dies or retires.
- "No cat can doubt his loyalty to SkyClan and to the memory of his father. And he fought as bravely as any of us yesterday, especially after his father fell."
- —Maplewhisker about Mothpelt Code of the Clans, page 77
- "He is our leader now. StarClan will guide his paws."
- —Maplewhisker telling them that Mothpelt is the leader Code of the Clans, page 78
- "Our Clanmates aren't mouse-brained. They respected you as their deputy, and they'll respect you as our leader. And they'll respect Mothpelt as a warrior."
- —Robinwing persuading Maplewhisker to lead the Clan Code of the Clans, page 82