|"Morning Whisker always liked hiding in bushes."|
|— Wind Runner about finding a place to bury Morning Whisker in The Blazing Star, page 71|
Morning Whisker was born to Wind Runner and Gorse Fur of the Early Settlers along with Emberkit, Moth Flight, and Dust Muzzle. However, Emberkit died soon after birth, and Morning Whisker later died of the mysterious sickness that had previously killed much of the prey. She later appeared in StarClan, and gave her mother one of her nine lives.
In the Dawn of the Clans arc
- Morning Whisker is born to Wind Runner and Gorse Fur, along with her littermates Dust Muzzle, Moth Flight, and Emberkit. After they are born, Dappled Pelt remarks that the kits are small but they're still perfect. After the birth of her sickly brother, Emberkit dies leaving Wind Runner stricken with grief. Gray Wing visits the kits in the nursery and sees them suckling at Wind Runner's belly. After Emberkit is buried, Wind Runner, upset at the loss of her son, rushes forward and tells the cats that he can't be buried, for she needs more time to grieve. However, Gorse Fur tells her that she needs to remember her other kits and the fact that they need her.
- "I'd like us to send Morning Whisker to live with the spirit-cats. That's what she deserves."
- —Wind Runner to Tall Shadow about Morning Whisker The Blazing Star (book), page 159
- Later, Cloud Spots stays beside her to examine her. Gray Wing mentions Morning Whisker in the meeting, stating that she should be never touched by anyone except for the "healers". Thunder wonders when Morning Whisker got sick, and goes to check on her. Gray Wing decides to stay out of Morning Whisker's grieving family's way. Clear Sky asks Gray Wing what happened, Gray Wing mentions that Morning Whisker got sick. Afterwards, Gray Wing heads towards Wind Runner's den and he sees Cloud Spots tending to Morning Whisker. Pebble Heart volunteers to stay behind with Morning Whisker when Gray Wing asks him to check on Sparrow Fur.
- Later, Thunder casts a glance at Wind Runner's den, and sees Morning Whisker lying in the den, sick and barely moving. Pebble Heart crouches beside her desperately. Moth Flight tells Wind Runner that Morning Whisker would be okay. When Wind Runner tries to lick her ill daughter's ears, Pebble Heart shoves her away, yelling at her. Thunder tells Clear Sky that Morning Whisker is getting no better. They both wonder what Morning Whisker's sickness could be.
- Thunder hears a scream from Wind Runner's den. He realizes that Morning Whisker is lying in the den, eyes rolled into her head, and her tongue sticking out of her jaws. The kit gives a final twitch, then lays still. Wind Runner tries to get to Morning Whisker, screaming at Pebble Heart to let her pass. Pebble Heart disallows her to get near Morning Whisker. Tall Shadow asks Wind Runner what she'd like to do with Morning Whisker. The wiry brown she-cats wants Morning Whisker to live with the spirit cats, as she deserved it. At last, Wind Runner decides to bury her kit under the bush, as she loved to hide in bushes. All of the cats murmur their sorrowful farewells to the dead kit.
- As the Gathering commences, Wind Runner is with her lost kits, including Morning Whisker. She nuzzles them, and tells them to come closer, as their time together was finite. Morning Whisker is later mentioned, though unnamed, when Gray Wing thinks of how Wind Runner, Gorse Fur, Moth Flight, and Dust Muzzle had made their own camp after one of their kits died of sickness. She is also briefly mentioned by Moth Flight when she remembers Gray Wing as the cat who dug her brother and sister's grave.
In the Super Editions
- Wind Runner: "Are you happy? Are you well?"
- Morning Whisker: "Yes. Half Moon and Gray Wing have taught me how to hunt."
- Moth Flight's Vision, page chaper 34
- Morning Whisker is briefly mentioned by her littermate, Moth Flight when she is dreaming with Half Moon. Moth Flight recalls that she'd been a kit when Morning Whisker had died from the sickness that had swept through the Clans.
- When Moth Flight finds the Moonstone for the first time she sees both Morning Whisker and Emberkit, her brother that died the day they were born. Morning Whisker is happy to see her grown sister, and she and Emberkit help her understand that she must convince the other Clans that she met with the spirit cats, and that some of their cats must become medicine cats.
- Morning Whisker and her brother encourage Moth Flight when she doubts herself and worries about Wind Runner's approval. Morning Whisker concedes that their mother can be harsh, but, she reminds Moth Flight that the moor can be a harsh place and that she lost two of her children there. She tells her sister that if their mother is strict, its because she is worried and not because she might be useless.
- When the Clans name their medicine cats and Moth Flight is named as WindClan's, Moth Flight remembers Morning Whisker, and Emberkit. She tells Wind Runner and Gorse Fur that she had seen her littermates, and they were the ones who had spoke to her. Wind Runner asks if they are okay, and Moth Flight then assures her that while they are still kits, they are happy and have grown wise. Wind Runner then looks at Gorse Fur, their voices filled with joy as they realize their two kits are safe and happy.
- Wind Runner later receives her nine lives, she is gifted a life by Morning Whisker. Morning Whisker gives her mother the life of resilience, telling her it's to keep her going through whatever troubles life might bring.
In the Field Guides
- Although not mentioned by name, Morning Whisker briefly appears on Wind Runner's page. When Wind realized she was expecting kits, she asked if she and Gorse could become part of the group, eager for her kits to have the protection of this larger group. After the Great Battle, the family stayed on the moor but separated themselves from most of the mountain cats.
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
- Spider Paw: Living (As of Moth Flight's Vision manga section)
- Honey Pelt: Living (As of Moth Flight's Vision manga section)
- Bubbling Stream: Living (As of Moth Flight's Vision manga section)
- Blue Whisker: Living (As of Moth Flight's Vision manga section)
|Unnamed ♀||Unnamed ♀|
|Unnamed ♀||Windstar ♀||Gorsestar ♂|
|Morning Whisker ♀||Moth Flight ♀||Dust Muzzle ♂||Emberkit ♂|
|Spider Paw ♂||Blue Whisker ♀||Honey Pelt ♂||Bubbling Stream ♀|
= Gender Unknown
- The First Battle (First appearance)
- The Blazing Star †
- A Forest Divided
- Moth Flight's Vision
- The Ultimate Guide (Indirect mention only)
- She is accidentally called a tom in The First Battle.
- She, Dust Muzzle, and Moth Flight are accidentally listed under Clear Sky's camp in the allegiances for The Blazing Star, as she and her siblings are shown to be living with their parents in Tall Shadow's camp.
- She was mistakenly said to be less than a moon old, yet two moons pass before she dies of the blazing star sickness.
The following information is from sources considered non-canon or retconned.
- In Secrets of the Clans, a 2007 field guide, her descendants live on in WindClan through Ashfoot and Crowfeather.
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Revealed in A Forest Divided, page 4
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 Revealed in The First Battle, page 139
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Revealed in The Blazing Star, page 123
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Revealed in The Blazing Star, allegiances
- ↑ Revealed in The First Battle, page 223
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Revealed in Moth Flight's Vision, page 318
- ↑ Revealed in Moth Flight's Vision, manga
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Revealed in The First Battle: Bonus Scene, page 2
- ↑ Revealed in The First Battle: Bonus Scene, page 15
- ↑ Revealed in The Blazing Star, page 96
- ↑ Revealed in Moth Flight's Vision, page 100
- ↑ Revealed in The Blazing Star, page 30
- ↑ Revealed in Secrets of the Clans, page 37