|"No, and if you're honest with yourself, Crowfeather, you don't want that either. Admit it: We don't love each other, and maybe we never did. [...] You're not so bad yourself. And remember, Breezepelt will always be our kit. We owe it to him to try to get along."|
|— Nightcloud and Crowfeather making peace in Crowfeather's Trial, page 354|
Nightcloud is a warrior of WindClan who has served under Onestar and Harestar in the lake territories. She became mates with Crowfeather when he returned to WindClan after eloping with the ThunderClan medicine cat, Leafpool. While Nightcloud bore three kits, only Breezepelt survived, causing her to become incredibly overprotective of him. Nightcloud despised Leafpool, believing she was the reason Crowfeather didn't love her, and was further outraged when it was revealed that Crowfeather had fathered her kits. However, the two eventually resolved their differences, pledging to get along for their son's sake.
Looking for a longer overview? Find one here!
- Nightcloud partakes in the Great Journey and arrives in the lake territories. When Mudclaw instigates a rebellion against Onewhisker, Nightcloud supports her former deputy as WindClan's rightful leader. She later fights in the battle against the badgers when Onestar sends reinforcements to ThunderClan.
- "Jaypaw felt tension spiking from Leafpool as she identified the WindClan she-cat. He knew there was some connection between his mentor and Nightcloud, who was the mate of Crowfeather. He had felt it thicken the air between them before, but he had no idea what it could be. As he probed Leafpool’s mind, his paws pricked with surprise. Was that jealousy?"
- —Jaypaw observing Nightcloud and Leafpool Dark River, page 266
- "Sometimes at Gatherings [Flametail] glimpsed Breezepelt eyeing Crowfeather and Nightcloud with undisguised rage. Crowfeather and Nightcloud never noticed; they were usually too busy exchanging harsh words between themselves."
- —Flametail observing Nightcloud's broken family Night Whispers, page chapter 17
- She has become the mentor to her granddaughter, Brindlepaw. After the fall of ShadowClan, Nightcloud voices her concerns that SkyClan must not replace ShadowClan, and she is supported by Leafpool. Later, she assists RiverClan when their camp catches on fire, offering them sanctuary in WindClan. Twigbranch chooses her to join a patrol to find SkyClan after they leave the lake, noting that she supports their return.
- Coming Soon
- "I understand why it was no good between you and me. You never loved me, and I couldn't bind us together as a family. But that's not important now. Breezepelt is what matters, and if his own father is so dismissive of him, so quick to bicker with him- well, it might give the rest of our clanmates the impression that he can't be trusted. And if that happens, and he still hasn't been properly accepted back into the Clan, it might push him away again. I couldn't bear that. Could you?"
- —Nightcloud to Crowfeather about Breezepelt Crowfeather's Trial, page 49
- Nightcloud isn't Crowfeather's true love,[blog 1] but he does care about her as a friend.
- Kate said on her blog that she liked the idea of Nightcloud and Breezepelt on the run as rogues, and Crowfeather leaving WindClan to go and find them.[blog 2]
- She has been mistakenly called Nightpelt.
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
- "You should have more faith in our son, Crowfeather."
- —Nightcloud after Crowfeather questions Breezepaw's reliability The Sight, page 293
- "Nightcloud had carried Breezepaw like a kit. His hind legs had dragged over the forest floor, but he was too exhausted by shock to complain. Crowfeather had padded beside his mate the whole way, offering to help, but Nightcloud kept hold of her kit as though she might lose him again at any moment. Now she lay curled around him, warming his quivering body, her breath falling and rising in time with his."
- —Nightcloud after Breezepaw falls into the badger set The Sight, page 355
- "He only has one son. Crowfeather is Breezepelt's father. No one else's!"
- —Nightcloud to Leafpool Night Whispers, page 202
- Mistystar: "It's been a tough leaf-bare, and with the lake frozen in the shallows, hunting has been hard."
- Nightcloud: "It makes a change for the fish-eaters to go hungry."
- Night Whispers, page 256
- "Does she think she's welcome?"
- —Nightcloud snarling when Hollyleaf returns The Forgotten Warrior, page 284
- "I never hated you! That's just what you were determined to believe. And Nightcloud encouraged you."
- —Crowfeather to Breezepelt The Last Hope, page 308
- "I speak the truth as I see it, and what some might call the love of a she-cat for her kits, I call jealousy and arrogance. Nightcloud should trust her son to prove his own worth, without leaping in to defend him first. And maybe she should remember that of all Crowfeather's mates, she is the one StarClan have spared to live beside him."
- —Rock's opinions of Nightcloud Cats of the Clans, page 54
- "If Nightcloud were a gentle, loving cat like Leafpool, or feisty and warmhearted like Squirrelflight, it would be easier to feel sorry for her. After all, Crowfeather took her as a mate to prove he was loyal to WindClan in spite of trying to run off with the ThunderClan medicine cat. But she's a difficult she-cat to like, with her short temper and her possessiveness over Crowfeather and her son, Breezepaw."
- —Rock on Nightcloud Cats of the Clans, page 54
- The Journey So Far: The Raging Storm on the Warriors official website (Indirect mention only)
- More Ways to Live on the Warriors official website (Mentioned only)
- Stand Together or Fall Divided on the Warriors official website (Indirect mention only)
- Morningstar's Folly - When Peace Isn't the Answer on the Warriors official website (Indirect mention only)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Revealed in Twilight, allegiances
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Revealed in Crowfeather's Trial, chapter 23
- ↑ Revealed in After Sunset: We Need to Talk, page 2
- ↑ Revealed in Bramblestar's Storm, allegiances
- ↑ Revealed in Shattered Sky, allegiances
- ↑ Revealed in Sunrise, allegiances
- ↑ Revealed in Night Whispers, page 202
- ↑ Revealed in Erin Hunter Chat 4
- ↑ Revealed in Crowfeather's Trial, page 354
- ↑ Revealed in The Ultimate Guide, page 109
- ↑ Revealed in The Ultimate Guide, page 111
- ↑ Revealed in Bramblestar's Storm, page 14
|Warriors||Nightcloud • Emberfoot • Leaftail • Breezepelt • Heathertail • Sedgewhisker (Flutterpaw) • Slightfoot • Oatclaw • Larkwing • Crouchfoot (Songpaw) • Hootwhisker (Whistlepaw) • Fernstripe • Featherpelt • Smokehaze (Woodpaw) • Brindlewing (Applepaw)|
|Apprentices||Woodpaw • Applepaw • Whistlepaw • Songpaw • Flutterpaw|
|Elders||Whiskernose • Gorsetail|