|"I think we should go on. I've watched my Clanmates starving around me, and I can't do that anymore! Thinking of that gives me courage."|
|— Petalfur encouraging the patrol to bring back the water in The Fourth Apprentice, page 132|
Petalfur was a RiverClan warrior under Leopardstar's and Mistystar's leaderships in the lake territories. She was born as Petalkit to the warriors Icewing and Mintfur, alongside her littermates Grasspelt, Beetlewhisker and Pricklekit. After earning her warrior name of Petalfur, she was selected as one of the two RiverClan representatives to go to the beaver dam with cats from other Clans that she befriended. Despite Rippletail's death, the patrol was able to successfully unblock the dam, letting the lake fill again.
During the battle against the Dark Forest, Petalfur helped defend RiverClan from the spirit intruders. After the battle, she became mates with Mallownose, who rescued her from an unexpected dog attack. Later, she gave birth his kits, Brackenpelt, Jayclaw, and Owlnose. Moons later, in a battle with the Kin, she was killed and her body was forced to be left behind when her Clan surrendered.
In the Power of Three arc
- In RiverClan, Petalkit was born to the warriors Icewing and Mintfur alongside her littermates Grasskit, Beetlekit, and Pricklekit.
- Moons after her birth, as the medicine cats are waiting to go to the Moonpool, Mothwing and Willowshine are delayed because Petalkit managed to get a thorn lodged in her eye. When Mothwing and Willowshine catch up with the other medicine cats at the Moonpool, Mothwing explains that it took only a good pull to get the thorn out of her eye. Littlecloud of ShadowClan suggests Mothwing use celandine for her damaged eye to speed up the process of healing it.
In the Omen of the Stars arc
- "We don't have to destroy it all. If we can move enough of the top branches that the water spills over, the force of the stream will wash the rest of the logs away."
- —Petalfur working out a way to destroy the dam The Fourth Apprentice, page 245
- The cats settle down to eat, though Petalfur and Rippletail stay back, believing that their lack of contribution constitutes their abstention. However, after the other cats persuade them, the RiverClan cats sit down to join their companions. A few moments later, the cats come upon a small puddle that contains fish in it. As Rippletail scoops out a fish, Petalfur swiftly kills it and invites the other cats to have a taste, which some of them are fond of.
- When the patrol is warned about dogs coming by the apprentice Dovepaw, she, Rippletail, and the WindClan cats don't know how to climb trees for safety, because there aren't many trees on RiverClan or WindClan territory. Lionblaze, Tigerheart, and Toadfoot help Petalfur and Rippletail along with the WindClan cats by showing them where they need to put their paws. Petalfur is very nervous about it, but manages to stay in the tree until the dogs leave.
- When the cats reach the stream where the beavers have blocked it with their dam, she and Rippletail play in the shallow areas, happy to be near water again, however, while the RiverClan cats are playing, the beavers return. The other cats yowl to Rippletail and Petalfur to get out of the water as the beavers first see them. The RiverClan cats barely make it to shore, before the beavers give up and swim away.
- That day, the warriors attempt to fight the beavers, but Rippletail is cornered and the beavers give him a severe shoulder wound. He is subsequently dropping him in the stream, and dies due to blood loss, despite Petalfur dragging him to safety. In vengeance for her Clanmate's death, Petalfur works out a way to destroy the dam after much grieving for her slaughtered Clanmate, Rippletail. The warrior helps take apart the dam in the second attempt, and is happy that Rippletail's death is not in vain. She feels proud that Rippletail's death was avenged when they pulled down the dam, and that the Clans can have water again.
- When the warriors return to the lake, Lionblaze and Dovepaw offer to go back to RiverClan with her to help break the news of Rippletail's death, but she says she would rather do it alone. The cats part ways on ShadowClan territory, with Blackstar being unusally nice and offering a place to eat before they leave. Petalfur declines, wanting to hurry to her territory to tell RiverClan about Rippletail's death.
- "Cheer up. WindClan has always been prickly. If they don't want to speak to us, there's not a lot we can do about it."
- —Petalfur, to Dovepaw Fading Echoes, page 107
- Moons later, Petalfur is deep in conversation with Sedgewhisker after a Gathering. Dovewing assumes that they were sharing memories about the journey upstream to find the water, and the battle with the beavers. Mistystar also mentions during the Gathering that Petalfur, Reedwhisker, and Robinwing tracked a badger off of RiverClan's territory.
- As the Dark Forest rises, Petalfur's brother, Beetlewhisker, is slaughtered mercilessly by Brokenstar due to "betraying" him and his Dark Forest warriors. The battle between the evil cats and the Clans commences, which Petalfur participates in within camp, along with Hollowflight, Robinwing, Tawnypelt, the ShadowClan warrior named Ratscar, and the WindClan cats, Emberfoot, Gorsetail, and Furzepelt, in the battle with the Dark Forest.
In The Broken Code arc
- RiverClan fights against the Kin, who is invading RiverClan territory, seasons after the Dark Forest battle. The battle ends in Clan defeat, and their leader Darktail stipulates that they may not take the bodies of their dead with them for burial. The elder Mosspelt informs Mistystar that Petalfur had been killed in the skirmish by rogues, which the leader mourns and later promises vengeance for.
In the Super Editions
- Not long after the Dark Forest battle, Mistystar mentions at a Gathering that Petalfur has become a queen, and is mother to three kits born to Mallownose.
In the Novellas
- "StarClan is watching over you. They'll guide our paws, and we will keep you safe."
- —Willowshine to Petalfur Mothwing's Secret, page chapter 9
- "Some of us can speak for ourselves. But I will be as loyal to you as I was to Leopardstar, may she walk in peace among the stars."
- —Petalfur, shortly after Leopardstar dies Mistystar's Omen, page chapter 2
- In Mistystar's Omen, Icewing is said to have gone to the beaver dam with Rippletail instead of Petalfur.
- In Shattered Sky, Mothwing mentions Petalfur having gone on a patrol to WindClan, despite being dead by that point. Similarly, in Squirrelflight's Hope, Petalfur appears in the battle against the Sisters, in which she should also not be alive.
Please do not edit this gallery
- Beetlewhisker: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Grasspelt: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Pricklekit: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Nightsky:[blog 1] Living (As of Veil of Shadows)
- Breezeheart:[blog 1] Living (As of Veil of Shadows)
|Icewing ♀||Mintfur ♂|
|Mallownose ♂||Petalfur ♀||Beetlewhisker ♂||Grasspelt ♂||Nightsky ♀||Breezeheart ♀||Pricklekit ♂|
|Jayclaw ♂||Owlnose ♂||Brackenpelt ♀|
= Gender Unknown
- "I think we should go on. I've watched my Clanmates starving around me, and I can't do that anymore! Thinking of that gives me courage."
- —Petalfur The Fourth Apprentice, page chapter 12
- After the journey, Petalfur proved willing to continue the relationships from the quest, including her acquaintance with the ThunderClan apprentice Dovepaw. Upon Leopardstar's death, Petalfur remained a loyal warrior under Mistystar's leadership, including helping ward of threats to RiverClan, which included the Dark Forest. Petalfur maintained faith in StarClan, comforted by the thought that her ancestors were watching over the Clans. She started a family with a fellow warrior in her Clan, and lived to see her kits attain warriorhood, which she was proud of. By the time of her death, Mistystar regarded Petalfur as a fine example of a warrior, and mourned the fact that her body had to be left behind in RiverClan's camp after a battle with the Kin.
- "I don't want to think that he died for nothing."
- —Petalfur about Rippletail The Fourth Apprentice, page chapter 21
- Petalfur: "What are you all staring at?"
- Toadfoot: "Er... you, being so friendly with that Twoleg."
- The Fourth Apprentice, page 212
- During the journey to the beaver dam, Petalfur formed relationships with the cats from other Clans on the patrol, which included Whitetail, Sedgewhisker, Toadfoot, Tigerheart, Lionblaze, and Dovepaw. She shared a workable affinity with them as they traveled, and retained a light demeanor while working with them. Petalfur felt honor-bound to not partake in prey caught by the patrol's other members, as she did not contribute to their catch, though they convinced her to take a share. She worked with the cats in the patrol to escape danger, including convincing a Twoleg to let her go free once captured, with the patrol's help. Petalfur was able to adapt to a strategy to defeat the beavers at the dam, and the patrol returned home successful. After returning to the Clans, Petalfur was willing amiable relations with the cats from the patrol, and cherished the connection she had formed with the ThunderClan apprentice Dovepaw on the journey.
- "It was a dog. It came out of nowhere. We all fought it off, but it grabbed Petalfur in its mouth…You have to save her."
- —Mallownose to Mothwing about Petalfur Mothwing's Secret, page chapter 9
- Mothwing's Secret
- Outcast (First appearance; allegiance only)
- Eclipse (Allegiance only)
- Long Shadows (Allegiance only)
- Sunrise (Mentioned only)
- Hollyleaf's Story (Allegiance only)
- The Fourth Apprentice
- Mistystar's Omen
- Fading Echoes
- Night Whispers (Allegiance only)
- Sign of the Moon
- The Forgotten Warrior (Allegiance only)
- The Last Hope
- Dovewing's Silence (Allegiance only)
- Crowfeather's Trial (Allegiance only)
- Bramblestar's Storm (Mentioned only)
- The Apprentice's Quest (Allegiance only)
- Thunder and Shadow (Allegiance only)
- Shattered Sky † (Mentioned only)
- Darkest Night (Mentioned only)
- (Indirect mention only)
- (Indirect mention only)
- (Indirect mention only)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Revealed in Outcast, allegiances
- ↑ Revealed in Shattered Sky, page 105
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Revealed in The Fourth Apprentice, allegiances
- ↑ Revealed in Bramblestar's Storm, allegiances
- ↑ Revealed in Mothwing's Secret, chapter 9
- ↑ Revealed in Fading Echoes, page 106
- ↑ Revealed in Mistystar's Omen, chapter 2
- ↑ Revealed in Shattered Sky, page 113
- ↑ Revealed in Squirrelflight's Hope, page 324
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 10.3 Revealed in Bramblestar's Storm, page 56
- ↑ Revealed in Eclipse, allegiances
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 Revealed in The Fourth Apprentice
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Revealed in Fading Echoes
- ↑ Revealed in Mistystar's Omen
- ↑ Revealed in The Last Hope
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 Revealed in Mothwing's Secret
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 17.2 Revealed in Bramblestar's Storm
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 Revealed in The Apprentice's Quest
- ↑ Revealed in Shattered Sky