|"It's the kind of 'nonsense' that we all live by. With pride and honor. Without it, we'd be pitiful and lost, just like you."|
|— Petalnose defending the warrior code to trespassing rogues in After the Flood, page 72|
Petalnose is a very pale gray, almost white, she-cat with blue eyes.
Petalnose was a SkyClan warrior under Leafstar's leadership in the gorge. She was originally a kittypet named Petal, and her Twoleg was abusive and barely fed her and her kits, Sage and Mint. The kits' father and Petal's mate, Rainfur, asked Firestar and the newly forming SkyClan to help him rescue his mate and kits from the Twoleg nest. The rescue mission succeeded, and Petal, Rainfur, and their kits joined SkyClan. Rainfur died in the battle against the rats, and Petal took on the warrior name of Petalnose. She later mentored her son, Sagenose. After the dangers that SkyClan faces, she worries for the future of any kits she may have, and has doubts about staying in SkyClan. She later realized that SkyClan is where her heart belongs, when she comes back to help save SkyClan from a pack of rogues who terrorized them.
- 1 History
- 2 Character pixels
- 3 Official art
- 4 Kin
- 5 Appearances
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Quotes
- 8 Notes and references
In the Super Editions
- "Sometimes I think I should have stayed with my Twoleg. But I can't bear even to think about him."
- ―Petalnose talking to herself Firestar's Quest, page 387
- When Rainfur and the SkyClan cats come to rescue her and her kits, Petal is first worried about her Twoleg, but follows Rainfur out of the nest. Occasionally, Petal and Rainfur go back to the Twoleg nest for herbs when asked. Shortly after she is rescued, Clovertail temporarily nurses her kits while Petal recovers. Before Rainfur goes to fight off the rats with the rest of the fit warriors, he and Petal decide to become Clan cats, and are accepted into SkyClan together. Petal becomes Petalnose, while Rainfur keeps his name.
- Her mate is later killed in the attack when Sandstorm chooses to save Firestar instead of Rainfur. Echosong, SkyClan's medicine cat, is the one who tells Petalnose the news about her mate. During Rainfur's vigil, Petalnose and her kits grieve for him throughout the night.
- Petalnose is later seen sitting outside the nursery while watching Cherrypaw, Sparrowpaw, and Clovertail's kits' ceremonies.
- "Do come. You'll learn all sorts of stuff, and meet new friends."
- ―Petalnose trying to convince Egg to join SkyClan SkyClan's Destiny, page 241
- Petalnose is shown to be a good friend of Leafstar, often asking her if she can eat with her along with constantly supporting Leafstar, while also making sure her opinion is heard. She also shows obvious motherly affection towards both of her kits even when they are apprentices.
- When the SkyClan cats find another cat who is clearly descended from the ancient SkyClan because of his powerful back legs, Petalnose tries to convince him to come join them.
- Later, when Shrewtooth reveals to the Clan that he too, was trapped by his former Twoleg, she helps to comfort him and calm him down. Petalnose sympathizes for Shrewtooth, and convinces him to tell her his story. Her motherly nature calms Shrewtooth, allowing him to relax and sleep. After Shrewtooth falls asleep, she tells Leafstar about her feelings towards the Twolegs that trapped her and Shrewtooth in his den, and asks Leafstar if they can do anything to prevent more cats from suffering like her. She wants Leafstar to launch an attack on the Twoleg just to scare him enough that he won't continue keeping cats.
- When the cats are preparing for the attack, Petalnose promises to keep an eye on Sagepaw, and is determined to face the Twoleg. During the attack, Petalnose and her kits are seen spitting vengeance and fury in front of the Twoleg.
- Later, when a few of the SkyClan cats find an injured Twoleg kit, Petalnose feels like they shouldn't get involved and is surprised that the others are doing so much work to help the Twoleg kit. Petalnose is then seen helping carry branches to hide the camp. Later, she seems intent on revenge on her's and Shrewtooth's behalf when the attack on the Twoleg is led. She is left behind to defend the gorge when Leafstar and her patrol leave to help Stick.
In the SkyClan and the Stranger arc
- "It always makes my heart just glow when new kits arrive in the Clan."
- ―Petalnose to Leafstar about kits The Rescue, page 55
- Later, she is a part of the first patrol that attempts to rescue Leafstar. She tells the warriors on the patrol that they must go.
- Sparrowpelt: "Eight of us trying to hunt? We'll drive away anything worth catching!"
- Petalnose: "Well, Sparrowpelt, since our only other option is to become prey for foxes and badgers, I say we give it a try."
- Beyond the Code, page 29
- After badgers attack a group of cats on patrol, Leafstar suggests sending out two groups of cats for more protection. Sparrowpelt, doubtful, tells that they'll make too much noise and scare away everything in the area. Petalnose says that the only other option is to become prey to badgers and foxes, and Sparrowpelt reluctantly agrees. That night, she is seen leaving camp with Patchfoot's patrol, returning with a squirrel.
- At the Gathering, when Lichenfur notes that rain is on its way, Petalnose happily comments that they could use some.
- Patchfoot, Petalnose, and Fallowfern come up to Leafstar and suggest leaving the Clan, as they don't think it's right for their future kits. When Leafstar assesses Sol and they see the abandoned Twoleg den, Leafstar explains that a mean old Twoleg used to live there, and he terrorized Shrewtooth, as well as Petalnose a long time ago.
- As rogues near the camp, Petalnose stands in front of Echosong's den with a line of other warriors, and Leafstar thinks she might be right, that the gorge isn't the safest place for kits, but that at the moment they are united. During the battle, she is seen grappling with a rogue cat. After they are beaten, the lead rogue asks in disbelief what the warrior code is. Petalnose replies that without it, they'd all be pitiful and lost. Once the rogues leave, Leafstar thanks Petalnose, Patchfoot, and Fallowfern for fighting that night and says the Clan needs them. The three decide to stay with the Clan, proud to be a part of SkyClan. After Leafstar banishes Sol, Petalnose is behind her, looking satisfied.
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
- Fidgetflake: Living (As of The Place of No Stars)
- Gravelnose: Living (As of The Place of No Stars)
- Snipkit: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Curlypaw: Living (As of Hawkwing's Journey)
- Palesky: Living (As of The Place of No Stars)
- Nectarsong: Living (As of The Place of No Stars)
- Fringewhisker: Living (As of The Place of No Stars)
|Rainfur ♂||Petalnose ♀|
|Birdwing ♀||Sagenose ♂||Mintfur ♀||Nettlesplash ♂|
|Curlypaw ♀||Fidgetflake ♂||Snipkit ♀||Palesky ♀||Gravelnose ♂||Nectarsong ♀||Fringewhisker ♀|
|Beekit ♀||Beetlekit ♂|
= Gender Unknown
- Firestar's Quest (First appearance)
- SkyClan's Destiny
- The Rescue
- Beyond the Code
- After the Flood
- Bramblestar's Storm (Indirect mention only)
- Her apprentice was her son, despite Clan cats not usually mentoring their own kin, although Leafstar didn't truly realize this until after Sagepaw was injured, as SkyClan was relatively new.
- She was mistakenly called 'Petalnose' before getting her Clan name.
- She has depicted in Beyond the Code and in After the Flood as a darker cat with white markings on her face.
- She is mistakenly said to have fought in the first battle with the rats.
- Petalnose: "Where are the visitors going to sleep?"
- Sparrowpelt: "There's not enough room for all of them in the warriors' den. We'd be sleeping on top of each other!"
- SkyClan's Destiny, page 107
- Petalnose: "Also... we know about the rats that drove the first Clan out of here. And then Patchfoot and I fought them again with Firestar and Sandstorm."
- Leafstar: "I know that, Petalnose. I know that's when you lost Rainfur. You both fought very bravely."
- After the Flood, pages 32-33
- Leafstar: "Petalnose, Patchfoot, Fallowfern... Thank you. You've shown tonight what a loss it will be if you go."
- Patchfoot: "Leafstar, we've... we've changed our minds about leaving."
- After the Flood, page 73
Notes and references
- Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 449
- Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 387
- Revealed in SkyClan's Destiny, allegiances
- Revealed in SkyClan's Destiny, page 122
- Revealed in Firestar's Quest, allegiances
- Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 376
- Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 372
- Revealed in Hawkwing's Journey, page 232
- Revealed in Darkest Night, chapter 12
- Revealed in SkyClan's Destiny, chapter 5
- Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 443
- Revealed in The Rescue, page 29
- Revealed in After the Flood, page 32