This article contains major spoilers for the recently released, Graystripe's Vow. Please proceed at your own discretion.
|"Marigold is just fine, Petunia. She's here. With me. And your Twoleg...she doesn't hurt anymore. She's no longer so confused. She's happy now. You can be happy too, Petunia. All you have to do is focus on your Clanmates."|
|— Gremlin to Petunia about her future in WarriorClan in Graystripe's Vow, comic|
Petunia is the current medicine cat of WarriorClan under Monkeystar's leadership. She was originally a kittypet who lived with an elderly Twoleg. The Twoleg took good care of Petunia until she became old and sick, and began taking in more and more cats but neglecting to care for them properly. When Fang and Graystripe rescued the trapped kittypets with the help of WarriorClan, Petunia initially wanted to remain with her Twoleg, but was convinced to join WarriorClan after her Twoleg was taken away by medicine Twolegs. Graystripe then appointed Petunia as WarriorClan's medicine cat, seeing how she had cared for her denmates in the Twoleg nest.
In the Super Editions
- "[Graystripe] was impressed by the old she-cat, who was managing to care so well for Daffodil, even though she was suffering as much as all the other denmates."
- —Narrator about Graystripe's thoughts on Petunia Graystripe's Vow, page 368
- As Petunia talks, Graystripe spots an elderly Twoleg enter the room carrying food. She places it down with a gentle call, and all the cats in the den fight and scramble for the food. Petunia rushes in and grabs some scraps, then brings them to Daffodil, who is sick. Graystripe watches as Petunia coaxes Daffodil into eating. When the Twoleg is gone, Graystripe tells the kittypets that they have to find a way to escape. One cat suggests attacking the Twoleg, but Petunia is outraged and says that the Twoleg saved her life and she loves her. She explains that it's not the Twoleg's fault that she's sick and that it will break her heart if the cats leave, especially Petunia. Graystripe understands but insists that cats can't live like this. Petunia says that she's gotten used to it, but Graystripe points out that cats are getting sick and dying. Petunia acknowledges that Graystripe is right.
- After a few moments, Petunia explains that every so often, the Twoleg goes outside, and that they may be able to escape when she opens the door, but she wishes to stay with her Twoleg. The other cats in the den protest, but Graystripe knows that Petunia won't change her mind. The cats lie in wait for the Twoleg, but Graystripe isn't fast enough in propping open the door and the escape attempt fails. After nightfall, Graystripe spots Petunia comforting Daffodil. Graystripe tries to reassure the she-cat that they will escape, but Petunia gives him a dubious look. Graystripe nods in respect to Petunia before padding away, impressed by the she-cat's care for Daffodil.
- When Fang arrives with WarriorClan to help the cats escape, Daffodil limps over with Petunia at her side to where the cats are working together to pry open a loose floorboard. The cats succeed in removing the board, and Petunia helps a queen and her kits escape. When everyone is gone, Graystripe tries to convince the old she-cat to leave, but she is determined to stay devoted to her Twoleg. Graystripe understands and leaves without her. The commotion caused by the cats alerts nearby Twolegs, and soon a group of medicine Twolegs arrive and lead the old female Twoleg out into a large white monster. Graystripe spots Petunia wailing and trying to follow her Twoleg into the monster. One of the Twolegs gently pushes Petunia away and closes the monster, leaving her caterwauling outside. Graystripe darts to Petunia's side, and tries to convince her to come with him to WarriorClan. Although Petunia is stubborn at first, Graystripe eventually convinces her by informing her that the Twolegs will give her away to different Twolegs if she stays.
- The next day, most of the escaped kittypets have arrived in WarriorClan territory. The cats all awake in the morning and begin to discuss where they should go now that they've escaped. Petunia assures the cats that if they find new Twolegs to live with, they will have a very nice life. Many of the cats decide to join WarriorClan. As they talk, Graystripe sees Petunia sitting off to the side looking forlorn. Graystripe asks her if she will stay with WarriorClan, but Petunia says she'll leave when her Twoleg comes back. Graystripe begins to tell her about medicine cats, but Petunia already knows about them thanks to Gremlin. Graystripe suggests that Petunia become a medicine cat because of how well she treated Daffodil back in the den. Petunia is interested, and after Graystripe teaches her about some basic herbs and encourages her to teach Lily as an apprentice, she decides to ask Fang what he thinks. After some deep conversation between the two, Fang accepts Petunia and commends Graystripe on finding WarriorClan a medicine cat.
- In the comic, Monkeystar is worried about Petunia, who has been missing for three days. She organizes a patrol made up of Lily, Clawwhistle, Bugeater, and herself to search for the medicine cat. They find Petunia at her old Twoleg's den, and Monkeystar asks if she's okay. Petunia weakly mews that she's sorry, but she can't leave this place behind. Lily tells Petunia that WarriorClan needs her, and that they both have to leave this place behind now. Petunia agrees and says they should go back. However, Monkeystar knows that Petunia is still miserable and takes her to the Moonstone in an attempt to comfort her. After a while, Petunia emerges from the cave much happier, telling the patrol that she saw Gremlin. Petunia asked about her Twoleg, and Gremlin reassured her that her Twoleg is much happier now, and that Petunia can be happy too, if she focuses on her Clanmates. Petunia decides to do just that, and is happily welcomed back by WarriorClan.
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
- Graystripe's Vow (First appearance)
- Young tom: "I've got an idea. Maybe we can all attack the Twoleg the next time she opens the door."
- Petunia: "Absolutely not!"
- Graystripe's Vow, pages 330-331
- "But I'm not going anywhere. This is my home, for better or worse."
- —Petunia deciding not to leave the den Graystripe's Vow, page 332
- Graystripe: "Now you, Petunia."
- Petunia: "I told you, I'm not going. I want to stay with my Twoleg."
- Graystripe's Vow, pages 376-377
- Petunia: "They took my Twoleg away, and they wouldn't let me go with her. What should I do now? She needs me!"
- Graystripe: "They'll take care of her. She's ill, and they'll make her feel better."
- Graystripe's Vow, pages 387-388
- "There are good Twolegs, if you take the trouble to look. My Twoleg was wonderful until she got old and sick. You do that, I'm sure you'll have a very nice life."
- —Petunia to the escaped kittypets Graystripe's Vow, page 398
- Graystripe: "Are you going to stay with WarriorClan?"
- Petunia: "For a while. Until my Twoleg comes home."
- Graystripe's Vow, page 399
- Monkeystar: "Petunia! Are you okay? You had us really worried. Not to mention the Clan is really missing their medicine cat."
- Petunia: "I'm sorry, Monkeystar. It's just...I can't...I can't just turn my back on this place. If I do, then I-... If I do, that means admitting that my Twoleg isn't coming back, ever."
- Graystripe's Vow, page comic
- Monkeystar: "So...did that help?"
- Petunia: "Monkeystar, I can't begin to tell you how much. But I can tell you what I saw. At first I wasn't sure anything was going to happen at all...now that the Moonstone is broken. But then...I saw Gremlin! As clearly as I'm seeing you!"
- Graystripe's Vow, page comic
Notes and references
|Warriors||Bigteeth • Bugeater • Buttercup • Chester • Clawwhistle • Fireface • Lily • Sandy-colored tom • Tabby-and-white she-cat|
|Kits||Three unnamed kits|