|"I have been honored to serve you this long. The rest of my life will be spent as a kittypet, where I have no battles to fight, no lives depending on me for food and safety."|
|— Pinestar announcing that he's leaving ThunderClan in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 308|
Pinestar was a ThunderClan leader in the forest territories who stepped down from leadership to become a kittypet. He was born to Sweetbriar and Oakstar and had two half-siblings, Birchface and Frecklewish. As Pinepaw, he was mentored by Mistpelt and had a deep curiosity toward kittypets after being saved by Crystal. He became a warrior as Pineheart and later was made deputy under Doestar. Pineheart became leader after Doestar's death, earning the name of Pinestar. He became mates with Leopardfoot and had three kits, Tigerkit, Nightkit, and Mistkit. However, Nightkit and Mistkit died soon after birth, and Tigerkit was left very weak.
When StarClan began urging Pinestar to kill his own son, Pinestar coped by roaming the Twolegplace and confided in his two kittypet friends, Shanty and Jake. After Shanty's death, and when RiverClan disputes begin to rise, Pinestar decided to step down as leader, leaving ThunderClan to become a kittypet with Shanty's Twolegs as Pine. His actions resulted in an addition to the the warrior code: a warrior rejects the soft life of a kittypet. He later ascended to StarClan and gave Bluestar and Tigerstar one of their nine lives.
- 1 History
- 2 Character pixels
- 3 Official art
- 4 Ceremonies
- 5 Leader Info
- 6 Personality
- 7 Relationships
- 8 Family
- 9 Appearances
- 10 Trivia
- 11 Quotes
- 12 External links
- 13 Notes and references
Looking for a longer overview? Find one here!
- "I won’t risk a battle on so little evidence. But I’ll warn all the Clans at the Gathering tomorrow that we are being extra vigilant ... If you see a WindClan patrol, warn them off. With words, not claws."
- ―Pinestar about WindClan scent Bluestar's Prophecy, page chapter 3
- "You can't save every one of your Clanmates from the dangers of the life you lead."
- ―Jake to Pinestar after Moonflower's death Pinestar's Choice, page 169
- StarClan beings visiting Pinestar in dreams, telling him that his son, Tigerkit, will destroy the forest, and urging him to kill the kit. While the kitting begins, Pinestar witnesses Shanty's death at the paws of a monster and loses a life in the process. He continues to roam the Twolegplace after his kits' birth, but is discovered by Lionpaw. Pinestar resolves to become a kittypet and is taken in by Shanty’s old housefolk.
- In Goosefeather's Curse, Pineheart is the deputy under Doestar, assisting in the search for the lost Swiftpaw. When Goosekit reveals that a dark brown warrior told him where to find her, Pineheart is dubious. Later, Squirrelwhisker's patrol goes missing, and Goosepaw shares his vision of their whereabouts with Pineheart. During leaf-bare, Pineheart works tirelessly to feed his Clan, but to little avail. He is brought to receive his nine lives after Doestar starves, though Goosefeather receives a vision of Pinestar abandoning the Clan.
The pixel artwork is an interpretation based upon canon material.
The pixel artwork is an interpretation based upon canon material.
Please do not edit this gallery
|Pineheart's warrior ceremony|
- Coming Soon
Oakstar and Sweetbriar
- Sweetbriar: "Well, what did you think? Was he good? Did he listen to you?"
- Pinepaw: "Of course I did!"
- Pinestar's Choice, page Chapter One
- Pinestar loved his parents, and his parents were proud of him.
Leopardfoot and Tigerkit
- Tigerkit: "Sweetpaw’s dead."
- Pinestar: "I...I know."
- Pinestar's Choice, page Chapter Nine
- Pinestar actually didn’t have much in the way of a relationship with Leopardfoot, and it came as a surprise to him when his kits were born. The only one that survived, Tigerkit, unsettled him, because Doestar had recently told him that the kit had the power to destroy ThunderClan. After Tigerkit’s birth, more StarClan cats warned of his destiny, and even told Pinestar to kill the kit, which Pinestar couldn’t bring himself to do. He instead avoided his mate and only son, and Leopardfoot grew to resent him for it.
- "[Pinestar] couldn’t let his Clanmates find out about his friends outside the territory. They would never understand that it was cats like Jake and Shanty who kept him calm and focused, who listened to fears he couldn’t share with his warriors."
- ―Narrator about Pinestar’s kittypet friends Pinestar's Choice, page Chapter Eight
- During the troubling times of his leadership, Pinestar often visited Twolegplace to talk to his kittypet friends, as it was the only time where he felt peace. He and Shanty are especially good friends, and Pinestar often relies on her for advice and comfort. But one day, while Pinestar was visiting Twolegplace for advice, Shanty was hit and killed by a Twoleg monster. The monster also took one of Pinestar's lives, and Pinestar is heartbroken after the death of one of his closest friends. Still mourning the loss of his friend and having troubled thoughts, Pinestar wonders what good he could do for Shanty's Twolegs. He belives that he could do more good for these Twolegs than he could ThunderClan, so he makes the choice to leave and live with Shanty's Twolegs, and now calls himself Pine. Jake believes that Shanty would like and approve of Pine's choice to leave ThunderClan.
- Pinestar's parents are Oakstar and Sweetbriar, and his half-siblings are Birchface and Frecklewish. His former mate is Leopardfoot, and Tigerstar, Mistkit and Nightkit are their children. For more of Pinestar's family, click here!
- Moth Flight's Vision (Vision or Dream)
- Pinestar's Choice
- Goosefeather's Curse
- Tallstar's Revenge
- Yellowfang's Secret
- Crookedstar's Promise
- Bluestar's Prophecy † (First appearance)
- Leopardstar's Honor (Allegiance only)
- Tigerclaw's Fury (Mentioned only)
- Code of the Clans
- The Ultimate Guide
- Pinestar's kittypet name was not the name he had when he was in ThunderClan.
- His name was later confirmed to be 'Pine' in Pinestar's Choice.
- Pinestar is the first known leader to step down from his own leadership, the second being Rowanclaw.
- Pinestar is from one of the few single-kit litters in the series.
- Vicky has revealed that Pinestar and Poppydawn are cousins.
- Pinestar has been mistakenly described as tawny, fox-red, ginger, and red.
- Pinestar is shown as ThunderClan's leader long after having become a kittypet.
The following information is from sources considered non-canon or retconned.
- Pineheart: "I never thought this would happen so soon. I don’t know if I will be half the leader she was."
- Goosefeather: "Doestar will watch over you from StarClan. You’ll be fine."
- Goosefeather's Curse, page Chapter 10
- "Pinestar's a wily old cat. He's up to something, but no cat's crossed his borders. He's just stirring up trouble for his own reasons."
- ―Shellheart Crookedstar's Promise, page 243
- "I remember my first battle. Sweetbriar insisted I eat a shrew, but I hid it when her back was turned and then told her it was delicious."
- ―Pinestar to Bluepaw Bluestar's Prophecy, page 104
- "The four Clans will be enemies until the end. And yet we all want the same things: prey to hunt, a safe territory to raise our kits, and peace to share dreams with our ancestors. Why must we hate one another over such simple desires?"
- ―Pinestar to Bluefur Bluestar's Prophecy, page 244
- "The warrior code exists for a reason. ThunderClan cats don't eat fish, don't catch fish, don't swim, don't have anything to do with the river at all."
- ―Pinestar to White-eye and Dappletail Code of the Clans, page 29
- Poppydawn: "About time, too...If his kits had died in the night, they'd have gone to StarClan without ever meeting their father."
- Swiftbreeze: "Poor Leopardfoot. She kept asking for him. What must she think?"
- Bluestar's Prophecy, page 273
- "Do we really want a leader who no longer wishes to lead?"
- ―Lionpaw to ThunderClan about Pinestar's choice to leave Bluestar's Prophecy, page 308
- Leopardfoot: "Pinestar, what about your kits? Won't you stay to watch them grow up?"
- Pinestar: "They'll be fine with you, Leopardfoot. I'm not a father they could be proud of, but I will always be proud of them. Especially you, little warrior. Be strong, my precious son. Serve your Clan well."
- Bluestar's Prophecy, pages 310-311
- "With this life I give you compassion. Judge as much with your heart as with your mind."
- ―Pinestar giving Bluefur a life Bluestar's Prophecy, page 500
- Tigerclaw: "Pinestar!"
- Pinestar: "Yes, although that is not the name I had when I died."
- The Ultimate Guide, pages 92-93
- "I should go home. My...my housefolk are expecting me. Oh, and my name isn't Pinestar anymore. It's Pine. Just Pine."
- ―Pine just after becoming a kittypet Pinestar's Choice, page chapter 10
- (Allegiance only)
Notes and references
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 500
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 308
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, allegiances
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 47
- Revealed in Pinestar's Choice, allegiances
- Revealed in Pinestar's Choice, chapter 3
- Revealed in Goosefeather's Curse, allegiances
- Revealed in Pinestar's Choice, chapter 10
- Revealed in Pinestar's Choice, chapter 4
- Revealed in Pinestar's Choice, chapter 5
- Revealed in Goosefeather's Curse, chapter 10
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 314
- Revealed in Goosefeather's Curse, page 119
- Revealed in Crookedstar's Promise, page 17
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 133
- Revealed in Pinestar's Choice, chapter 8
- Revealed in Pinestar's Choice, chapter 1
- Revealed in Pinestar's Choice, chapter 7
- Revealed in Pinestar's Choice, chapter 9
- Revealed in The Ultimate Guide, page 92
- Revealed in Darkest Night, chapter 21
- Revealed on Vicky's Facebook
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 244
- Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page 126
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 367
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 311
- Revealed on Vicky's Facebook