|"All my sons are here. Don't be sad when I'm gone. It will be a relief. I had a long life, and a good one. I've known hunger and cold, but I've known love too. And I forgive you, my firstborn. Shaded Moss has spoken to me. [...] It was all foretold. You could not help what you did. It had to be that way. I forgive you, Clear Sky, and now you must forgive yourself."|
|— Quiet Rain's last words to Clear Sky in A Forest Divided, page 301-302|
Quiet Rain was a member of the Ancient Tribe, and was the mother of Gray Wing, Clear Sky, Jagged Peak, and Fluttering Bird, but lost Fluttering Bird due to starvation. She advocated for her eldest sons to journey on the sun trail, but wanted to keep Jagged Peak back with her. When her son left to follow the group, Gray Wing was sent after him, leaving Quiet Rain without any children.
With the death of Stoneteller, Quiet Rain ventured out with Sun Shadow to see her children one last time. The two reached the groups of cats, but Quiet Rain was slowly dying due to exhaustion and infection, and condemned Clear Sky after she learns of his previous attitude and bloodthirst. However, after Shaded Moss talked to her, she forgave him and died surrounded by her sons, ascending to StarClan.
- 1 History
- 2 Character pixels
- 3 Kin
- 4 Appearances
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Quotes
- 7 External links
- 8 Notes and references
In the Dawn of the Clans arc
- Quiet Rain: "I told you to leave. You need to consider your future."
- Gray Wing: "My future is here."
- The Sun Trail, page 39
- Quiet Rain is the mother of Fluttering Bird and Jagged Peak. She also has two more kits from an older litter, Gray Wing and Clear Sky.
- After Gray Wing and Clear Sky return from hunting, Jagged Peak complains that he is hungry and wants some food. Quiet Rain pads up and nudges him back toward the sleeping hollows, telling her son that he is too young to hunt, and if the older cats didn't eat, there would be no prey for any cat. She then sits next to Gray Wing, asking him if he had eaten anything. He responds that he will have something before he goes out again. She tells Gray Wing that he did very well to catch the hawk, and when Gray Wing says that Clear Sky helped a lot, she adds that they both did well. She turns to look at Fluttering Bird and Jagged Peak scuffling together nearby, saying she hoped they'd be just as skillful when they were old enough to hunt. Jagged Peak then knocks his sister over, and Quiet Rain pads over to comfort her daughter.
- While the cats are discussing who will go on the journey to a new home, she informs her youngest kits that they will stay right there when they express a desire to leave. She shakes her head when Jagged Peak says she can come with them, telling him that her place is in the mountains, and that they have survived before. She adds that when the warm season would return, they would have enough to eat. Gray Wing dips his head in agreement, wondering how they could forget what Quiet Rain had told him when he was a kit.
- She is seen again telling her youngest son that he cannot go with the traveling cats, informing him that he is too little to be outside the cave. Snow Hare soon comes up and distracts the kit, and Quiet Rain thanks her as she won't let him out while there is deep snow. Gray Wing carries over the remains of a hare to her, and she purrs her gratitude, complimenting that it was a fine catch, and tells him she'd give some of it to Fluttering Bird. Her voice quivers as she adds that she couldn't get out of her nest that morning, but she'd be better once she had eaten.
- She asks Gray Wing whether he is going with Shaded Moss, adding that Clear Sky will be going. It is noted that she is trying to keep her voice light, but her words end with a sorrowful sigh. She rests her head on top of Gray Wing's once he tells her that he is staying, murmuring that she is so proud of him. Quiet Rain then stoops over the sleeping hollow to her sleeping daughter, licking her shoulder and telling her to wake up. When Fluttering Bird doesn't wake, she pokes her shoulder with a forepaw, although she still does not wake up. Quiet Rain tells Gray Wing to fetch Stoneteller, sounding panicked.
- Gray Wing soon returns with Stoneteller, where Quiet Rain awaits him, flexing her claws in impatience. Gray Wing notices how desperate she is, sick with grief for her daughter. Although Stoneteller attempts to get Fluttering Bird to swallow a pulp, she whispers to Quiet Rain that she is too far away from them, that the hunger inside her is too great, and she must prepare herself. Quiet Rain crouches down and says that she should have given her all her food, and didn't know what she was thinking, having kits in the cold season. Gray Wing presses himself close to her, telling her it's not her fault, and she is about to say something when Stoneteller interrupts them. She tells Quiet Rain that Fluttering Bird might be able to hear her mother, and she wouldn't want to die knowing her mother is scared and angry. Quiet Rain manages to calm herself, sliding into the sleeping hollow and curling around her daughter. She tells her how proud she is of her only daughter and that she will never forget her.
- Gray Wing offers to help her bury Fluttering Bird, but his mother says she won't bury her while her fur is still warm, and to fetch Jagged Peak. When Jagged Peak trots over to his mother, she speaks quietly to him. Jagged Peak lets out a wail, and she stretches out her tail and pulls him close to her.
- Clear Sky returns with Shaded Moss from finding a path to take for the journey. Gray Wing touches his shoulder with his tail, and Clear Sky spots Quiet Rain in the sleeping hollow with her two kits. Once Gray Wing tells him that their younger sister is dead, he bounds over to his mother, saying he was so sorry that this had happened. Although he asks Quiet Rain to come with them, she shakes her head and says she will never leave her daughter there alone. She then rises from the sleeping hollow, allowing the two brothers to pick up their sister's body. Quiet Rain and Jagged Peak follow as they leave the cave to bury her. Once Gray Wing and Clear Sky are done scraping away soil to form a shallow hole, and Quiet Rain lays her kit's body inside. She touches her nose to her daughter's fur for the last time, and then steps back as her sons then cover the hole. All four cats stand beside her grave, their heads bowed.
- After the burial, Jagged Peak comments that he wishes to travel out of the mountains, and Quiet Rain informs him not to talk nonsense, padding up to him, and lays her tail across her son's back. She adds that he has been out long enough for his first time, and tells him to go back into the cave. Clear Sky then takes Jagged Peak back home, and as Gray Wing thinks how he should not have let Fluttering Bird starve, he becomes aware that Quiet Rain had came to stand beside him. She sighs that although the mountains to her were a cruel place, it was her home, for better or worse. Grays Wing tells her that he would not let it happen again, but Quiet Rain interrupts to inform him that he has to leave. She states that Jagged Peak was too small for the journey, but adds that he must go with Clear Sky to find a better place to live, as she did not want watch their kits die. Gray Wing exclaims that he thought she wanted him to stay, and she gazes back at him steadily, and informs him that she loved him too much for that, and that for her sake, he should go.
- When Stoneteller informs Gray Wing and Bright Stream to collect as many stones as there were cats in the cave, Jagged Peak asks if the kits could vote too, and Quiet Rain stretches out her tail to caress his ear. She tells him that the kits couldn't have a word in the debate, but Stoneteller gently interrupts her, stating that even the kits could have their say on the matter. Gray Wing soon tells Bright Stream that Quiet Rain wants him to leave, and she is surprised, answering that she had thought Quiet Rain would have wanted he and Clear Sky to stay in the cave. However, he shakes his head, and replies that she believed they stood a better chance of the survival in the place Stoneteller had saw.
- During the voting, Jagged Peak votes to leave the mountains, placing his stone beside Clear Sky's, and Quiet Rain shakes her head, informing him that although she could not allow him to leave, the older cats should have the chance to go, and then takes her stone to lay it beside the waterfall with her kits. As the cats leave the cave to scout their route, Gray Wing realizes that Quiet Rain has padded up to him. She murmurs that she had told him to leave, telling him to consider his future, and he stretches out his neck to touch noses with her, stating that his future was in the cave. While deciding what side to vote for, Gray Wing looks around the cave, until he meets his mother's gaze, which is full of pleading. He knows that she believed that his future safety lay in leaving the cave. He wonders about the safety of her and the others, thinking that they needed strong hunters.
- When Shaded Moss and his group begin to get ready to depart from the cave, Gray Wing says farewell to his brother. Clear Sky says that he may come back to the cave, but Gray Wing exchanges a glance with Quiet Rain, noticing that she knew perfectly well that such an event could never occur. Neither of them speak their thoughts, and Quiet Rain tells Clear Sky to travel safely. Jagged Peak asks why he couldn't come, and Quiet Rain silences him with a glance, which makes him scrabble at pebble near the river. Gray Wing afterwards informs Clear Sky that he was sorry he was to travel without him, but his place was with Quiet Rain and Jagged Peak, and Clear Sky tells him that he was glad they had him to care for them. As the travelling cats leave the cave, Gray Wing stands beside Quiet Rain as they watch the cats wind their way down the mountainside until they are out of sight.
- As the cats share the prey the hunters had recently caught, Quiet Rain promises that she will hunt the following day, and Hollow Tree agrees. The next day, Gray Wing is awoken by Stone Song, who states that he will be arranging his new plan, mentioning that he, Quiet Rain, and his mate, Hollow Tree, are going out to hunt. When Jagged Peak protests that he should be able to hunt, she asks what is the matter, padding up to them. She then questions if Jagged Peak was making a fool out of himself, and Gray Wing explains to her that he wanted to learn how to hunt. He catches a swift flash of fear in her eyes, as if she were thinking of all the possible dangers outside for a cat as small as Jagged Peak, and she states that he is too young.
- Jagged Peak then retorts that he is the oldest, but Gray Wing slaps his tail over his mouth, and informs his mother that he is nearly old enough. Although she is doubtful, he adds that it is better for him to come than to sneak out the cave, and she hesitates for a moment. Quiet Rain then replies with a reluctant nod that he can, and turns to Jagged Peak, informing him to stay with his brother, and do exactly as he is told. As Jagged Peak follows Gray Wing, Quiet Rain brings up the rear, and catches up to her younger son, hesitating, wishing him good hunting, before she heads up the rocks toward the cliff's top.
- When Jagged Peak draws back from eating the hare he had caught, Quiet Rain returns with a hawk dangling from her jaws. She remarks that they indeed had good hunting, dropping her catch beside the remains of the hare. Gray Wing notes that Jagged Peak had caught it, and her eyes glow as she gazes at her younger son, complimenting him, and thanks Gray Wing for teaching him well. Jagged Peak asks if they can go out hunting once more, and before Gray Wing can speak, Quiet Rain replies that it is time for him to go to his nest, and that he could hunt the next day. Jagged Peak protests that he is not tired, but then lets out a yawn, and Quiet Rain tells him to stop complaining, nudging him to the sleeping hollows.
- Another day passes, and Gray Wing wakes up to see his mother pacing nervously beside him, realizing that her growls were what awoke him. He asks her what was the matter, and she replies that Jagged Peak's nest is empty, suggesting that he may have gone out by himself - which he knew he was not supposed to. Gray Wing lets his tail-tip rest on his mother's back comfortingly, meowing that he could not have gone far, and offers to bring him back. After he fails to find him by calling, he returns to see his mother waiting anxiously near the waterfall, with a few other cats around her. He apologizes, stating that he couldn't find him beside the pool or on the plateau. Quiet Rain then begins to pace once more, and wails that a hawk must had taken him, or he had been smothered in a snowdrift. Silver Frost brushes her tail along Quiet Rain's side, telling her that Jagged Peak was a strong, young cat. Lion's Roar agrees, stating that he would probably soon return with a prey twice of his size, and Quiet Rain murmurs that she wished she could believe them.
- After he looks for Jagged Peak with Misty Water, Gray Wing returns to see Quiet Rain anxiously inform Stoneteller what had occurred. She whips around as he approaches, and asks him if he had found his younger brother. He shakes his head, stating that Misty Water had only picked up Jagged Peak's scent. In response, Quiet Rain gasps in horror, eyes filled with dismay, trying to refuse to believe that he is right. Her voice quivers with anguish as she states that he would be killed, and Gray Wing presses his muzzle against her shoulder, and tells her that Jagged Peak could look after himself. However, Quiet Rain interrupts him by disagreeing with him, her voice rising up to a wail. As she straightens herself up, she states that he was too young. After taking a deep breath to fight for her self-control, she reminds Gray Wing that he would not leave when she told him to before, but this time he must, to find his brother and make sure he reached their new residence safely. After looking around the cave, Gray Wing turns back to meet his mother's gaze, and agrees to go after Jagged Peak.
- Upon hearing Twisted Branch's and Dewy Leaf's troubles with the ongoing blizzard, Quiet Rain pads to Gray Wing's side, and tells him that he could not leave in such weather, voice sharp with anxiety. He understands how worried she is about Jagged Peak, especially since the snow had recently set in, and is about to say something before being interrupted by Quiet Rain. She tells him he couldn't, questioning him if she wanted all of her kits to freeze to death. Stoneteller agrees with her, and touches her nose to Quiet Rain's ear, stating that Jagged Peak, like Shaded Moss' group, would find shelter. It is noted that Quiet Rain bares the waiting with quiet dignity, but her eyes as if they were dark pools of pain. Gray Wing sits next to her, and murmurs that it wasn't fair she would have to lose all of her kits, and she sighs that she had no choice, noting that she still had Fluttering Bird underneath her pelt of stones. Gray Wing, in response, leans closer to her so that his fur brushes hers, and sits with her.
- Before he leaves, Quiet Rain is the last cat in the cave to step forward to Gray Wing, offering to travel with him for part of the way, and gives her son a lick to the ear. After he says a final farewell, Gray Wing leads the way open, and she pads softly behind him. The two climb the rocks toward the plateau, and after speaking with the stone pile that covered Fluttering Bird, Gray Wing turns away and clambers back to his mother. Side by side, they skirt the boulders, and make their way across the ledge where Shaded Moss was last seen with his companions. Quiet Rain notes that Jagged Peak did come that way, sounding a little encouraged. His faint scent leads them around the flank of the mountain, until they are led into a river in a valley.
- Gray Wing halts on the bank with Quiet Rain at his side while looking at a torrent, and Quiet Rain notes that the ice could only carry one cat across, and this would be where her journey ended. Although her face is calm, grief wells up in her eyes, and Gray Wing knows how hard it is for her to say farewell to her last kit. He then presses against her side, twines his tail with her own, and opens his jaws to reel in her scent, and promises to find Jagged Peak. Quiet Rain then lets out a long sigh, and nudges him way, informing him to traverse across the river before the sun rises higher and melts the ice.
- Gray Wing begins to cross the frozen river, but then the ice begins to break. He just makes it, and he looks back, saying goodbye, but he can't tell if Quiet Rain heard him or not. Gray Wing finds Jagged Peak, and Jagged Peak tells his brother that Quiet Rain has absolutely no right to stop him from going with the other cats away from the mountains. Gray Wing replies by telling the tom that Quiet Rain was his mother and she knows what is best for Jagged Peak.
- As Gray Wing wakes up after falling into a mountain stream, he sees that Jagged Peak is licking him with strong tongue-strokes, just as Quiet Rain had done when he was a kit. Gray Wing and Jagged Peak meet up with the journeying cats and Clear Sky almost immediately asks if Quiet Rain was alright, Gray Wing reassures him that she was fine.
- Hawk Swoop injures her leg and Cloud Spots says that he once watch Quiet Rain treat one of the elders for the same injury when they were still in the mountains. After he treats it, Shaded Moss tells Cloud Spots that he did a good job, and Cloud Spots just shrugs and says that he was just lucky to have seen Quiet Rain do it.
- When noting of their new life on the moor, Gray Wing thinks that he misses his mother, but the moor life is easier. In a dream, Gray Wing spots Quiet Rain alone in her nest. When arguing with Clear Sky, Quick Water tells him to think of Quiet Rain, and if she wanted to see it. Clear Sky tells her to leave his mother out, but Quick Water ignores him, and asks if it was why she wished him good luck in the mountains.
- When Gray Wing visits the mountain cats in his dreams, he spots Quiet Rain in her sleeping hollow. Gray Wing notes her eyes look clouded as she stares at the rippling light that flickers throughout the cave, on its many walls. Concerned, Gray Wing asks Stoneteller if Quiet Rain is okay, and the elder she-cat replies that she is. Gray Wing expresses concern for his mother, and wishes that he could tell her that he and his brothers are okay, despite her worrying. Stoneteller promises to tell Quiet Rain of Gray Wing, Jagged Peak, and Clear Sky.
- Gray Wing thinks of his mother often, and the life he left behind. He often wonders if Quiet Rain would recognize Clear Sky, her firstborn son, due to his brutal attitude and nature, which had changed drastically since leaving. Although Gray Wing thinks he's failed his mother, Stoneteller reassures him that he has not, and tells the gray cat that it is not his fault things turned out how they have.
- Clear Sky also thinks of his mother, wondering what she and Bright Stream would say to events that have happened. Uneasy, Clear Sky wonders if his mother would agree, that no cat is too young to fight.
- Gray Wing sees Quiet Rain in his dream. She is curled up, sleeping, like the rest of her Tribemates. Gray Wing was thinking about her and suddenly misses her when Stoneteller and he discuss the dream. When he leaves, he sees Quiet Rain sleeping and thinks that it is too long since he had saw her.
- In the Bonus Scene, Sun Shadow sees Quiet Rain nibbling on a mouse when he returns to the main cave after checking on Stoneteller. She spots him and picks up her prey, bringing it over to the tom and sharing half of it with him, commenting sympathetically on his facial injury. He thanks her for her kindness, tearing into the fresh-kill eagerly. Quiet Rain murmurs that he looks so much like his father with the same slender body and black pelt, and it was a pity that he never saw his son. Swallowing his last mouthful, Sun Shadow says that his father was a hero, risking his life to follow the sun trail on a dangerous journey away from his former home to save the cats who stayed in the mountains. Quiet Rain points out however that he left Dewy Leaf behind when she was expecting kits, but Sun Shadow angrily points out that it was a sacrifice that he had to make before he meets the she-cat's gaze and remembers that she had been left behind too.
- The tom then continues that her kits were heroes too and asks if she ever wonders about them. Quiet Rain does not reply as her gaze mists over, and Sun Shadow wonders if she is lonely, because her kits are all gone and she had never taken another mate. The tom then asks her if she ever wonders what lies at the end of the sun trail, beyond the mountains. Quiet Rain is silent again, and responds after a few heartbeats that she does often wonder how her kits are faring and she would like to see them once more before she dies, but her place is on the mountain. She pauses while running her tail along Sun Shadow's back, continuing that maybe every cat wonders what life is like beyond the mountain but he must find his place among the Tribe, where he belongs, and then pads off without waiting for a reply.
- When Sun Shadow decides that it is time for him to leave to find the group who left the mountains, Quiet Rain asks him where he is going. He whirls around to see her on top of a rock, her eyes wide with alarm, and stammers that he was just going out for some air. Quiet Rain blinks and then responds that she isn't stupid and knows that he was saying good bye to his family. Sun Shadow begs her not to tell them and he needs to do this. The she-cat jumps down from the rock she is standing on and pads up to the young tom, not speaking but with a glint of determination in her gaze. Thinking that she is going to tell Sharp Hail he is about to beg her to not, but they are both interrupted by Stoneteller's cry; they realize that she is finally dying. Taking advantage of Quiet Rain's distraction, Sun Shadow flees, and doesn't realize that Quiet Rain is running after him, yowling at him to wait for her. Sun Shadow tells her that he is not going back and she replies that she knows he isn't, and tells him that they have to hurry as Stoneteller is dead, and Sharp Hail is waking all the cats. Sun Shadow then remembers that Quiet Rain had said we, and she says that she's coming with him.
- Quiet Rain: "I did not think I could raise a kit to kill his Tribemate."
- Clear Sky: "You don't understand what it was like! We were in a strange land where the rules of living were very different from what they'd been in the mountains. We had no Stoneteller to advise us. I thought I was doing the right thing!"
- A Forest Divided, pages 262-263
- Gray Wing calls out for Quiet Rain and Snow Hare when he dreams of the Tribe. He feels guilty when the realizes that the cave is empty, but then Stoneteller emerges and tells Gray Wing that there is nothing to apologize for.
- It is mentioned that Milkweed held the same haunted look that used to darken Quiet Rain's eyes, as Milkweed's kits are as skinny as Fluttering Bird.
- While Thunder is out hunting, he hunts down a sparrow, before taking it down to the river and drinking. A black tom emerges from the leaves behind him, causing Thunder to warn the stranger to catch his own prey. After a hesitant standoff and being asked where he is from, the black tom looks at him more boldly and states that he came from the mountains, and when Thunder asks how many there are, he offers to show him. Thunder soon follows after coming to the conclusion that is isn't a trap, seeing blue eyes and smelling a she-cat. She asks who Thunder is, beginning to question if Thunder has seen the Tribe cats, but breaks off when she starts coughing violently, causing Thunder to see a blackened wound on her hind leg. The ginger tom drops the bird, telling her she's injured, and though she tries to protest that there is nothing to worry about, Thunder informs her that he knows a cat who could heal it. She mutters that it'll heal itself, so Thunder noses the prey over to her as he says it might give her the strength to recover.
- She is surprised, asking if he'd really give up his own prey. Grateful, the black tom tells Quiet Rain to eat it, causing Quiet Rain to murmur that it is the first kindness they've met since their journey began. When Thunder mentions that prey has been hard to find since the sickness, Quiet Rain becomes anxious until the ginger tom reassures Quiet Rain that it passed. She asks him what his name is as she devours the sparrow, exchanging a glace with Sun Shadow as she asks Thunder if he has ever met a cat named Gray Wing, Clear Sky, or Jagged Peak. Thunder then realizes that Quiet Rain is from the Tribe, and cautiously says that he knows Tall Shadow. Quiet Rain becomes excited and asks Thunder about Gray Wing, Clear Sky and Jagged Peak, and Thunder asks how she knows them, with Quiet Rain saying she is their mother. As Thunder wonders how to tell her about the conflicts the brothers have faced, she stares at him expectantly, so he offers to take them to Tall Shadow's camp first. She struggles to her paws while inquiring if they're well, before demanding that they must leave immediately, as she wants to see them. However, Thunder tells her to finish her sparrow first since it's a long journey.
- As she painfully devours her meal, Thunder watches her and notices how every bite seems to cause her pain, making him wonder if she'll be strong enough to reach the pines. Thunder quietly suggests to Sun Shadow that she may need treatment straight away, and Sun Shadow whispers back that she won't wait for that since she knows where her sons are. Thunder attempts to say that she's very weak, with Sun Shadow rebutting that she made the journey from the mountains, and it can't be much further to the pine forest to bring her back to camp for a treatment or not. Quiet Rain looks up from her food to demand to know what they're whispering about, so Thunder suggests that she come back to his camp to rest and let Cloud Spots have a look at her wound. She simply says that she doesn't want to waste anymore time before returning to the meal, not willing to say anything else on the matter. Sun Shadow tells Thunder that there is no point in arguing, as she wouldn't change her mind.
- They wait for Thunder to return from informing his cats where he is going, eyes bright with hope. He follows the path of the river, and after noticing the cats padding side by side as they follow him, asking if they felt cold when a freezing wind sweeps over. Quiet Rain snorts, reminding him that she came from the mountains. Thunder thinks that while she might limp and have to cough every so often, there was nothing wrong with her sharp tongue. When Thunder speeds up a little, she tells him to slow down, and Thunder takes a spot next to her before he prompts her to tell him about the mountains. Quiet Rain answers that he must know about them of he knows Gray Wing and Tall Shadow, meowing that he's surely heard stories of their old home. The ginger tom agrees that they have, but he isn't sure how much is actually real. Quiet Rain inquires to know what they told him, and he explains about the snow drowning cats in blizzards. She answers that that much is true, also asking to know if they had informed him of the eagle, the sheers, and the cold. Thunder learns that they hunted mice and birds in the warmer days, as well as rabbits. Quiet Rain tells him about Stoneteller, making Thunder ask if she is their leader. Quiet Rain rasps that Stoneteller is more than their leader, and she speaks with the ancients who came before her. Thunder thinks that they are indeed strange cats.
- Lost in memories for a moment, Thunder is startled by River Ripple calling out to them. Sun Shadow asks to know who he is, while Quiet Rain flattens her ears in suspicion as the silver tom bounds up the slope to them. She hisses that he smells of water, and River Ripple explains politely that he lives beside the river. Quiet Rain wrinkles her nose and she wonders why any cat would want to live by water, asking in shock how he catches fish when he explains so. When River Ripple tells her that he swims, she turns to Sun Shadow, shocked as she wonders what kind of place they have traveled to. When he asks where they're going, Thunder tells him that they're going to the pine forest, making River Ripple pad to his side while saying they could've cut through the forest. Quiet Rain demands to know if that's true, making Thunder think about how River Ripple didn't know he'd left Clear Sky, and Quiet Rain might make him take her to see her son. He comes up with the excuse about how the two had come from the mountains, and thought the moor would be easier to cross.
- With interest, River Ripple asks them if they came from the mountains. Sun Shadow discovers that Moon Shadow died, making Quiet Rain press against him to steady the tom when he sways from the news. She meows that they knew there would be risks when they left the mountains. Thunder apologizes about not telling them sooner, and with a hard mew, Quiet Rain asks about the others. The ginger tom mumbles that Clear Sky, Gray Wing, and Jagged Peak are fine, and River Ripple weaves in from of Thunder as he tells the she-cat that is isn't the place for such news, and they can lead them to Tall Shadow's camp to rest. As the slope steepens, Sun Shadow's tail drags, and Quiet Rain's breath rattles in her chest, making River Ripple slow down and press his shoulder against hers for support.
- Sun Shadow soon asks how long Moon Shadow has been dead for, and Thunder informs him it's been a while, and when Sun Shadow presses if he knew him well, he explains that he was young when it happened. Quiet Rain asks to know how well he knows Jagged Peak and Clear Sky, making him meow that he know them well enough, because he's Clear Sky's son. She stops and stares at him, her gaze delighted at the knowledge her son has had his own kits, and asks where he and Bright Stream are. Thunder is confused, and Quiet Rain assumes that Bright Stream is his mother; she says that she and Clear Sky were destined to be mates. The ginger tom blurts out that Bright Stream died on the journey, causing her eyes to cloud as Thunder explains that an eagle had carried her off. Angry, Quiet Rain hisses that she had left the mountains but still suffered the fate of a mountain cat, before asking who Thunder's mother is. He informs her that she had been a rogue called Storm, making Quiet Rain exclaim in disbelief at the thought of even more death. As her grandson nods, she pulls away from River Ripple and returns to Sun Shadow's side, wailing that it's a place where cats come to die.
- River Ripple, in a gentle meow, says that not all cats die there, and is prey-rich and the greenleaf is warm and long. Thunder agrees, saying that Jagged Peak and Gray Wing love it, and Jagged Peak also has his own kits. The news causes Quiet Rain to calm down a little, as she asks about the names of her grandchildren, nodding in approval and what she considers strong names when he says they are called Dew Nose, Storm Pelt, and Eagle Feather. River Ripple adds that Hawk Swoop also had kits, and the two easily chatter as they continue their trek. As they come up to a Thunderpath, Quiet Rain snorts and says that they've already seen many of them when he tells Sun Shadow that they'll have to be careful crossing. She and Sun Shadow cross first, and Thunder walks up to River Ripple and asks if he thinks all mountain cats are as prickly as the two, to which River Ripple purrs that he's sure they're just tired from their journey.
- The two forest cats make it across safely, and Thunder replies that he isn't sure which way to go when Sun Shadow asks. Quiet Rain sniffs that they must know the scents, telling them that in the mountains, a kit can track a mouse through snow. As he tries to scent them, he notices that Quiet Rain's eyes are getting duller with exhaustion and her limp is worsening, noting she desperately needs to find somewhere to rest. Bringing them to a stop at a clearing so Quiet Rain can catch her breath, he feels relief as he realizes they made it to Tall Shadow's camp. He turns to her and asks if she can continue, making her hiss that of course she can. Thunder leads the cats through the brambles to the camp, where Tall Shadow goes to greet them, before stopping at the unfamiliar scents of the newcomers. Mud Paws, Mouse Ear, and Holly appear beside her, with Holly questioning who the Tribe cats are. Quiet Rain moves forward before Tall Shadow can answer, and despite her ragged, gaunt appearance, Tall Shadow's eyes narrow in what Thunder thinks may be familiarity. Her eyes widen after that as Quiet Rain asks if she doesn't know her, causing the Tall Shadow to excitedly ask if it really is her.
- Holly shifts her paws and questions if Tall Shadow knows the unfamiliar cat, making Quiet Rain break into a purr as she explains that she knows her well, and Tall Shadow moves forward to weave around her old Tribemate. Quiet Rain soon asks where Gray Wing is, and after Tall Shadow hesitates, accuses River Ripple of hiding more death from her and Sun Shadow. Tall Shadow explains that he left the camp a few days ago and they haven't seen him since, asking Thunder if he's seen him. Quiet Rain says that Thunder had said her son would be there, and asks if Clear Sky and Jagged Peak are missing too. Pebble Heart interrupts as he hurries over to them, claiming to smell infection. Quiet Rain flinches away and asks who he is, telling him that her leg injury is the only one worth remembering when he inquires about her wounds. Pebble Heart tells her to rest while he goes to make a poultice for her wound, and she mutters that he may be the only honest cat.
- Tall Shadow fiercely says they are all honest and Quiet Rain needs to do as Pebble Heart tells her and rest, which makes Quiet Rain break into a rusty purr, comparing Tall Shadow's temper to that of her father's. Tall Shadow retorts that she can see where Clear Sky got his spirit, telling Quiet Rain to follow her to Pebble Heart's den. Thunder supports the old she-cat as she does so, thinking her legs might give out. She sniffs that it smells like sap when they reach it, before Pebble Heart slides out and informs her to lie down in order to treat her. Quiet Rain warily does so, wincing a little but making no noise while he treats her.
- Tall Shadow thanks Thunder for bringing the Tribe cats to her camp, and the conversation turns towards how River Ripple is settling with the cats that chose to follow him. Quiet Rain hears a mention of Dappled Pelt, blinking at the thought of mountain cats living beside water when Tall Shadow calls back that she lives with Shattered Ice and River Ripple now. Thunder wonders if the old she-cat would be able to understand the quarrels the cats had had in the time they had settled, and how she would feel about the grave of her former Tribemates by the four trees.
- After River Ripple leaves, Jagged Peak returns to the pine camp, making Quiet Rain nudge Pebble Heart away as she rises to her paws to greet her son. His eyes light up with delight as he rushes to greet his mother, and she gasps in shock when she sees his hind leg. Jagged Peak dismisses the old injury as unimportant, but Quiet Rain's gaze is disappointed as she meows that he's lame, causing his fur to bristle, as he doesn't like being treated as weak. Holly growls at the gray she-cat that it's just a slight limp and he can hunt as well as any cat, before she is cut off by Dew Nose, Storm Pelt, and Eagle Feather rushing into the camp with prey. Jagged Peak sharply tells them to behave themselves around his mother. Dew Nose asks if the ragged she-cat is his mother, Storm Pelt hides under his mother's belly and comments that she smells funny, and Eagle Feather walks up to Quiet Rain and questions why she came to their camp.
- Quiet Rain glares at her kit and asks if that is how they raise kits in the forest, commenting that she would never have allowed such rudeness. In a rage, Holly growls that maybe it's why her sons left, causing Quiet Rain to glare back and ask how she could dare to say that. Jagged Peak breaks up the argument by saying that his kits may be energetic, but will be fine hunters one day. Ignoring her son, Quiet Rain asks Thunder where Clear Sky is, and when he informs her that he lives in the forest, she says that they found him in the forest, asking why he brought them all the way to the pines. Thunder mumbles that he'll take them when they've gotten their strength back, and Quiet Rain then asks Tall Shadow about Gray Wing again.
- Irritably, she tells the old she-cat that they haven't seen him in days, and Quiet Rain growls that they must find him if he is missing, as she came to the new territories to see her kin. Thunder wills the she-cats to not fight; he reasons that Quiet Rain is just a concerned mother who is fatigued and wounded from the journey she made, and still has more grief to face.
- Gray Wing is found and returned to Tall Shadow's camp by Thunder the next night. Gray Wing sniffs around camp looking for Quiet Rain, and is soon standing in front of Quiet Rain's den. Quiet Rain hears him and calls out her son's name from her nest. As Gray Wing hurries in, she tries to stand, but she's too weak and falls down. Noticing how thin she is along with the herbs on her hind leg, Gray Wing asks his mother if she's okay; she replies that she's here, and that all that matters. Quiet Rain smells blood and asks Gray Wing what happened to him and looks at his injured paw. Gray Wing tells her he got it caught in a Twoleg trap, and she asks why they ever came this place, and says that there's only death and danger here and that they should have stayed in the mountains.
- Thunder watches Gray Wing trying to comfort Quiet Rain, and wonders if he should leave. A little bit later, he grabs a mouse from the fresh-kill pile, and watches Gray Wing sit beside Quiet Rain. Quiet Rain says she wants to see Clear Sky, and Gray Wing asks Thunder if he'll go get his father. Thunder reluctantly agrees, but decides to visit Milkweed first. When he's there, he tells Lightning Tail that Clear Sky's mother is sick and they should go now. At Clear Sky's camp, Thunder tells Clear Sky that Quiet Rain has come down from the mountains and is in Tall Shadow's camp, and wants to see him. He tells Clear Sky to hurry because she is sick.
- When they reach Tall Shadow's camp, Clear Sky asks Gray Wing why Quiet Rain has come, and if something has happened in the mountains, and Gray Wing replies that she came to see them, and is waiting for him. Clear Sky rushes into the den, and Jagged Peak asks Thunder why he won't come in and see how Quiet Rain is doing, since she's his kin too, but Thunder tells him that Clear Sky is hardly his kin. Clear Sky comes out of the den and says that Quiet Rain wanted to see Gray Wing and Jagged Peak, and hurry toward the den, and ask if Quiet Rain is okay.
- Clear Sky, Gray Wing and Jagged Peak are in Quiet Rain's den, and Quiet Rain is asking what happened to her friends. She says that they are kin and should hide nothing from each other, and demands again to know what happened to her Tribemates. Jagged says that Dappled Pelt and Shattered Ice live by the river now, but Quiet Rain tells him that she knows that. Clear Sky tells her that Acorn Fur and Quick Water live with him in the forest, and when Quiet Rain asks who Acorn Fur is, Clear Sky tells her that she's one of Hawk Swoop's kits. Hope flashes in Quiet Rains eyes as she asks where Hawk Swoop is. Clear Sky tells her that she died, and Quiet Rain asks how. Gray Wing and Jagged Peak exchange looks, and Quiet Rain asks again how she died. Clear Sky tells her that there was a battle. Quiet Rain asks with who, and Jagged Peak replies that is was with Clear Sky. Quiet Rain asks who fought Clear Sky, Gray Wing says he did, and Jagged Peak adds that they all did. Quiet Rain says she doesn't understand, and asks again if they fought each other.
- Jagged Peak blinks slowly and tells her that when they first arrived from the mountains, they lived in one group, but some cats decided they wanted to live in the forest, so Clear Sky took them there, and they lived in peace, and Clear Sky interrupts and says he thought it was best to divide the land, and Jagged Peak tells him that he made borders. Gray Wing says that Clear Sky kept moving them, so they had to defend what they had. Quiet Rain blinks in disbelief and asks if words weren't enough. Gray Wing responds that they tried to talk, and Jagged Peak adds that when they met to discuss territory, Clear Sky's group attacked theirs. Quiet Rain asks Clear Sky if this is true, and he tells her it was a mistake. Quiet Rain asks who else died in the battle, and Gray Wing replies that Falling Feather and Jackdaw's Cry did. Quiet Rain asks if someone in the battle killed Turtle Tail, and Gray Wing responds that she was hit by a monster, and when asked, says the same about Shaded Moss.
- Quiet Rain then asks about Rainswept Flower, and Clear Sky remembers his killing blow with guilt. Gray Wing says that she was also killed in the battle, and when he flashes a warning look at Jagged Peak, Quiet Rain asks why they are looking at each other like that, and what they're hiding from her now. Then Clear Sky confesses that he killed Rainswept Flower, and tells her that he was mad with rage and wasn't thinking straight. Quiet Rain asks if he really killed his Tribemate, and Gray Wing says it was a battle, and no one was thinking straight. Quiet Rain tells Gray Wing and Jagged Peak to get out of the den. Clear Sky apologizes, but Quiet Rain hisses that she did not think she could raise a kit to kill a Tribemate. Clear Sky wails that she doesn't understand what it was like, to be in a new land with rules different from the rules of the mountains, and that he thought he was doing the right thing. Quiet Rain snarls and demands if he thought that it was right to turn on your Tribemates and slay them. Clear Sky tells her that he made a mistake and that she must forgive him because she's his mother. Quiet Rain lashes at his muzzle and Clear Sky tells her that he's sorry again. Quiet Rain says that he's no kit of hers, and when Clear Sky asks her to forgive yet again, she says that she will never, and Clear Sky flees the den.
- More Coming Soon
- Quiet Rain is mentioned by Thunder, who recalls Quiet Rain's resting place, and briefly notes that she is safe from any foxes and diseases. Thunder recalls sharing the news of Quiet Rain's death to his campmates.
- As Thunder silently vows to never let his campmates go hungry again, he briefly wonders if that was a promise he could make, and he recalls Quiet Rain lying in her grave. When Clear Sky comes over to Thunder's camp, Lightning Tail growls that Clear Sky always finds excuses to fight, Thunder declines the thought, and he points out that Clear Sky was grief stricken by Quiet Rain's death.
- As cats protest about Star Flower being allowed into the early settlers' camp, Tall Shadow points out that Star Flower was present when Quiet Rain died. Gray Wing recalls the time when he was still snuggling up against Quiet Rain's belly.
- Fern Leaf mentions that Pebble Heart tended to Quiet Rain when she was dying.
- Jagged Peak mentions that he was always guilty that Quiet Rain had sent Gray Wing to find him after he had escaped to follow the leaving cats.
- As Gray Wing passes away and leaves for StarClan, Quiet Rain is seen to be standing there, along with his little sister, Fluttering Bird.
In the Super Editions
- "How do you know what it is like to be a mother?"
- ―Quiet Rain to Acorn Fur Moth Flight's Vision, page 476
- During the gathering of the first medicine cats, as Acorn Fur protests indignantly to the StarClan cats about taking a mate and having kits, Quiet Rain steps forward, asking how she can possibly know what it's like to be a mother. Acorn Fur snorts that it isn't hard and she's seen Star Flower with hers, so Quiet Rain explains that she is the mother of Gray Wing, Clear Sky, and Jagged Peak, and her heart cried out for her children everyday since they left the mountains. She says that the need to see them had been so strong that she had to cross the whole of the territory, even in her final days, to see that her kits were safe in their new home. Acorn Fur stares at her and protests that her kits wouldn't be like them, as they would always be close by. Quiet Rain questions if she would really be able to ignore their cries in order to treat an injured Clanmate, before she swings her head around to Moth Flight and accusingly asks if she hadn't warned the foolish cat about this dilemma.
- As the medicine cats choose to take a vow to never take a mate or have kits, Quiet Rain, still looking at Acorn Fur, asks her what she will choose. While hesitant at first, Acorn Fur says that she would chose StarClan, causing Quiet Rain to narrow her eyes and question if she is really sure.
In the Field Guides
- Quiet Rain is given a very brief mention on Gray Wing's page. She is said to be Gray Wing's mother, and that he felt that he belonged in the Cave of Rushing Water, both with Quiet Rain, and his younger brother, Jagged Peak. It is mentioned on Jagged Peak's page that he was frustrated that his mother said he was too young to leave the mountains to a better home.
Please do not edit this gallery
- Jagged Peak: Living (As of Shadowstar's Life)
- Skystar: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Gray Wing: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Bright Stream's tabby kit: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Bright Stream's pale gray kit: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Storm two unnamed kits: Deceased, residence unknown
- Dew Nose: Living (As of Shadowstar's Life)
- Dew Petal: Living (As of Shadowstar's Life)
- Flower Foot: Living (As of Shadowstar's Life)
- Silver Stripe: Living (As of Shadowstar's Life)
- Thunderstar: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Eagle Feather: Living (As of Shadowstar's Life)
- Storm Pelt: Living (As of Shadowstar's Life)
- Black Ear: Living (As of Shadowstar's Life)
- White Tail: Living (As of Shadowstar's Life)
- Tiny Branch: Deceased, verified StarClan member
= Gender Unknown
- The Sun Trail (First appearance)
- Thunder Rising (Vision or Dream)
- The First Battle (Vision or Dream)
- The Blazing Star
- A Forest Divided †
- Path of Stars
- Moth Flight's Vision
- The Ultimate Guide (Mentioned only)
- Quiet Rain: "This is my fault. I should have given her all my food. What was I thinking, having kits in the cold season?"
- Gray Wing: "It isn't your fault."
- The Sun Trail, page 27
- "My beloved son, I can't allow you to leave. But the older cats should have a chance to go."
- ―Quiet Rain to Jagged Peak before casting her stone The Sun Trail, page 37
- "Smell them out! In the mountains, a kit can track a mouse in the snow!"
- ―Quiet Rain to Thunder and River Ripple A Forest Divided, page 214
- "Thunder felt a wave of pity for his father. He had never seen him look so defeated. Suddenly, he realized where Clear Sky must have inherited his arrogance—and his cruelty."
- ―Thunder about Quiet Rain rejecting her son A Forest Divided, page 275
- "You shouldn't spend the rest of your life mourning. You should have a mate and kits of your own."
- ―Quiet Rain speaking to Gray Wing A Forest Divided, page page 293
- Gray Wing: "Quiet Rain, thank you for loving us enough to let us go."
- Clear Sky: "Thank you for holding Fluttering Bird next to your belly for as long as she lived."
- A Forest Divided, page 313
- Quiet Rain: "I am Quiet Rain, mother of Gray Wing, Clear Sky, and Jagged Peak. I stayed behind in the mountains when they left the Tribe. But my heart cried out for them every day they were gone. My need was so strong that I spent my final days crossing unknown lands to see them. Only when I was sure they were safe in their new home could I give in to the sickness that made every step heavy with pain."
- Acorn Fur: "I'm not you! My kits will stay near me. I won't have to worry about them!"
- Moth Flight's Vision, page 477
Notes and references
- Revealed in A Forest Divided, page 314
- Revealed in The Blazing Star: Bonus Scene, page 24
- Revealed in The Sun Trail, allegiances
- Revealed in A Forest Divided, page 302
- Revealed in The Sun Trail, page 10
- Revealed in The Blazing Star, page 1
- Revealed in A Forest Divided, page 198
- Revealed in Moth Flight's Vision, page 476
- Revealed in A Forest Divided, page 199
- Revealed in The Blazing Star: Bonus Scene, page 11
- Revealed in The Sun Trail, page 7
- Revealed in The Sun Trail, page 12
- Revealed in Path of Stars, page 306
- Revealed in The Sun Trail, page 300
- Revealed in The Blazing Star, page 262
- Revealed in A Forest Divided, page 82
- Revealed in The Sun Trail, page 307
- Revealed in Path of Stars, page 214
- Revealed in Thunderstar's Echo, chapter 10
- Revealed in A Forest Divided, page 277
- Revealed in Path of Stars, page 217
|Tribe of Rushing Water (ancient) cats|
|Members||Twisted Branch • Stone Song • Hollow Tree • Sharp Hail • Jay Frost|
|Cats that left on the sun trail||Shaded Moss • Tall Shadow • Clear Sky • Gray Wing • Bright Stream • Dappled Pelt • Rainswept Flower • Turtle Tail • Moon Shadow • Shattered Ice • Cloud Spots • Quick Water • Hawk Swoop • Falling Feather • Jackdaw's Cry • Jagged Peak • Quiet Rain • Sun Shadow|
|Kits||Fluttering Bird • Crow Muzzle • Melting Ice • Dancing Leaf • Falling Dusk • Morning Star|
|Elders||Lion's Roar • Snow Hare • Silver Frost • Misty Water|