This article contains major spoilers for the recently released, Blackfoot's Reckoning. Please proceed at your own discretion.
|"I've made a terrible mistake, haven't I? Our son wants to do nothing but lead ShadowClan into battle. I should never have made him deputy! What can we do to stop him?"|
|— Raggedstar's confession to Yellowfang about Brokentail in Yellowfang's Secret, page 432-433|
Raggedstar was a ShadowClan leader in the forest territories. He was born as Raggedkit to Featherstorm and Hal, a kittypet, alongside his brother, Scorchkit. As Raggedpaw, he was apprenticed to Brackenfoot, and after becoming a warrior, Raggedpelt searched the Twolegplace with Yellowpaw to find his father; however, they came home with no luck. Following a battle against kittypets, Raggedpelt found out that Hal was his father and killed him. Afterwards, he became a mentor to Cloudpelt.
Eventually, he was chosen deputy and became mates with Yellowfang. Despite keeping their relationship a secret, she bore three kits, Brokenstar, Hopekit, and Wishkit, though only the tom survived. Raggedpelt broke things off with Yellowfang, becoming bitter with her and became leader as Raggedstar. After the deaths of his previous deputies, he chose Brokentail as his deputy, and he killed Raggedstar, ripping all nine lives from him and lied about his death. When he ascended to StarClan, Raggedstar warned Flametail of the upcoming battle and gave Tigerstar one of his nine lives.
- 1 History
- 2 Character pixels
- 3 Official art
- 4 Killed victims
- 5 Ceremonies
- 6 Leader info
- 7 Personality and Relationships
- 8 Family
- 9 Appearances
- 10 Trivia
- 11 Quotes
- 12 External links
- 13 Notes and references
Looking for a longer overview? Find one here!
- "When Raggedstar led ShadowClan, we were feared for our strength. But in those days our strength came from the warrior code and Clan loyalty, not from fear and bloodlust. If only Raggedstar had lived longer."
- ―Yellowfang about ShadowClan under Raggedstar Into the Wild, page 256
- "Sol's time in ShadowClan must come to an end. He is like the darkness that covered the sun."
- ―Raggedstar to Blackfoot and Littlecloud Long Shadows, pages 119-120
- "You must burn as brightly as this fire to protect your Clan. Survival is more important than the code of the medicine cats. You must forget your allegiance to them and pledge yourself only to our Clan. From now on, ShadowClan has no allies. Remember this: A time of war is coming, and your warrior ancestors will stand alongside you. No one else."
- ―Raggedstar to Flametail Night Whispers, page 86
- "Very well, but on one condition. You must promise to never tell these kits the truth. It is better that they grow up without a mother than knowing that their mother chose to abandon them."
- ―Raggedpelt to Yellowfang Yellowfang's Secret, page 318
- When Yellowfang shows interest in medicine, Raggedpelt mocks her and is furious when she decides to become Sagewhisker's apprentice. Later, Raggedpelt receives an apprentice, Cloudpaw, and becomes deputy. After the birth of their son, Brokenkit, Raggedpelt forces Yellowfang to forget giving birth to him. He has Lizardstripe nurse Brokenkit and have his true mother to be unknown to the Clan. Raggedpelt often brags about his son and defends him whenever the young apprentice, Brokenpaw, causes trouble. After the death of Cedarstar, Raggedpelt becomes Raggedstar, and makes Brokentail a warrior early and appoints him as his deputy after the deaths of Foxheart and Cloudpelt. However, Raggedstar has a shared nightmare with Yellowfang about the future of ShadowClan and admits regretting appointing Brokentail. Later, Brokentail rushes into camp, claiming that his father was killed by a WindClan patrol.
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
This list shows the victims Raggedstar has killed:
|Raggedpaw's apprentice ceremony|
|Raggedpelt's warrior ceremony|
|Raggedpelt's deputy ceremony|
Personality and Relationships
- Raggedstar is prideful, short-tempered and loyal to ShadowClan. Raggedstar slowly grew to love Yellowfang, and despite her role as a medicine cat, they had kits, which she gave up so she could continue her duties. He spoils his son while he grows up and eventually makes him his deputy, a decision he grows to regret. For more of Raggedstar's personality and relationships, click here!
- Raggedstar's parents are Featherstorm and Hal. His former mate is Yellowfang, and Brokenstar, Hopekit, and Wishkit are their children. For more of Raggedstar's family, click here!
- Tallstar's Revenge
- Yellowfang's Secret †
- Crookedstar's Promise
- Bluestar's Prophecy
- Redtail's Debt (Allegiance only)
- Into the Wild (First appearance; mentioned only)
- Fire and Ice (Mentioned only)
- Forest of Secrets (Mentioned only)
- Rising Storm (Indirect mention only)
- Blackfoot's Reckoning
- Dawn (Indirect mention only)
- Long Shadows
- Night Whispers
- The Last Hope
- Tigerheart's Shadow
- Secrets of the Clans (Retconned)
- Cats of the Clans (Mentioned only)
- The Ultimate Guide
- Raggedstar has kittypet blood through Hal.
- He was mistakenly called Raggedpelt after receiving his leader name.
- He was mistakenly addressed as Raggedstar four times in Yellowfang's Secret before he gains his leader name.
The following information is from sources considered non-canon or retconned.
- In Secrets of the Clans, a 2007 field guide, Clawface is listed as his apprentice, though Crowtail mentors him in Yellowfang's Secret. He is also mentioned to mentor his son, Brokenstar, despite Nightpelt mentoring him instead. Yellowfang tells the story of the birth of their son, Brokenstar. She and Raggedstar are able to hide their forbidden relationship because they both have high status within the Clan. Together they have three kits, although only one, whom Yellowfang names Brokenkit, survives. Raggedstar convinces Lizardstripe to suckle him, and she agrees, knowing that suckling the Clan leader's son will improve her status. In the moons that follow, Raggedstar doesn't see his son's ambitions to become leader at any cost until it is too late, and meets his death at his own son's claws. Raggedstar is also listed as one of ShadowClan's significant leaders. He is said to be proud and cunning, but blind to Brokenstar's true evil nature.
- "I will never be proud of defeat!"
- ―Raggedpelt Yellowfang's Secret, page 273
- Yellowfang: "This is my destiny. You cannot change it."
- Raggedpelt: "No. But you could."
- Yellowfang's Secret, page 297
- Yellowfang: "Lizardstripe is also expecting kits. She can care for ours until they are old enough to feed alone. Every cat can know they are yours, but no cats must know they are also mine. I'm sorry, Raggedpelt. I cannot be their mother."
- Raggedpelt: "You mean, you'd choose to be a medicine cat for Clanmates that have no kinship with you, over caring for your own kits? Our own kits? What kind of she-cat are you? Do you care for nothing beyond yourself?"
- Yellowfang's Secret, pages 317-318
- "He is not unwanted. He is my son, and I will always claim him as my own. You are being given a great honor, you unworthy cat. Who wouldn't want to be mother to the Clan deputy's son—and perhaps the future leader of the Clan himself?"
- ―Raggedpelt to Lizardstripe Yellowfang's Secret, page 324
- "Great StarClan! Why would we both have this vision? I would never send kits into battle! It's against the warrior code!"
- ―Raggedstar to Yellowfang Yellowfang's Secret, page 432
- Jaypaw: "Why have you come to speak to me?"
- Raggedstar: "For the sake of our Clan. If no cat helps them, then Sol will tear them apart. They will scatter and become rogues. All their pride and honor will be gone!"
- Long Shadows, page 54
- "There used to be no borders in StarClan. But times have changed."
- ―Raggedstar to Flametail Night Whispers, page 85
- "I, Raggedstar, give you this life for loyalty. A leader's loyalty belongs only to his Clan. Let loyalty be your heartbeat, for when it stops, so will you."
- ―Raggedstar giving Tigerheart a life Tigerheart's Shadow, page 405
- (Mentioned only)
- (Mentioned only)
- (Mentioned only)
- (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- Revealed in Long Shadows, page 65
- Revealed in Crookedstar's Promise, allegiances
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 15
- Yellowkit mentions Raggedkit and Scorchkit to be four moons older than her and her littermates, when the two older kits are made apprentices.
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 438
- Revealed in Into the Wild, page 261
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, allegiances
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 16
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 80
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, pages 277-278
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 378
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, chapter 22
- Revealed in Crookedstar's Promise, page 166
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, chapter 30
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 376
- Revealed in Into the Wild, page 98
- Revealed in Long Shadows, page 64
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 217
- Revealed in Tigerheart's Shadow, page 405
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 271
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 200
- Revealed in Long Shadows, page 119
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 204
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, pages 100-101
- Revealed in The Last Hope, page 178
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 272
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 323
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 324
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 374
- Revealed in Secrets of the Clans, page 63
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 285
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 354
- Revealed in Secrets of the Clans