|"Redtail was a brave warrior. His loyalty to ThunderClan could never be doubted. I always relied on his judgement, for it bore witness to the needs of the Clan, and was never swayed by self-interest or pride. He would have made a fine leader."|
|— Bluestar in Into the Wild, page 44|
He is born as Redkit to Adderfang and Swiftbreeze in their second litter, and his littermates are Spottedkit and Willowkit. He has two older siblings, Leopardfoot and Patchpelt, and a nephew via Leopardfoot, Tigerpaw. He eventually ascends to apprenticeship, becoming Redpaw, his mentor being Sparrowpelt. He eventually becomes a warrior with the name of Redtail, and soon becomes the Deputy under Bluestar. He sires a daughter with Brindleface, Sandpaw, and has a good friendship with Bluestar. Redtail is noted for being much more quick and clever then the majority of ThunderClan's warriors.
During an attack on Sunningrocks which Redtail is leading, ThunderClan is overwhelmed and Redtail, knowing they cannot win, orders a retreat. Tigerclaw refuses until Redtail forces him. A second battle takes place, and during the battle, Redtail is cornered and killed by Tigerclaw, who pins the deputy's death on RiverClan's deputy Oakheart, and Tigerclaw killing him in revenge for Redtail. In reality, Oakheart was killed by a rockfall after tussling with Redtail, and Redtail emerged from their scuffle unscathed. Tigerclaw hopes to become ThunderClan's deputy following Redtail, but Lionheart is chosen instead, and Tigerclaw learns that his own apprentice Ravenpaw was the sole witness of his murder.
Upon reporting Redtail's "death" to ThunderClan, Bluestar and Redtail's apprentice Dustpaw are among the most devastated. Firepaw and Graypaw learn from Ravenpaw that Tigerclaw actually murdered Redtail for his own ambitions, and Firepaw, now Fireheart, takes it upon himself to expose Tigerclaw. He succeeds in doing so when Tigerclaw attempts to kill Bluestar for the leadership of ThunderClan, and Tigerclaw is shunned by Dustpaw, now Dustpelt, Longtail and Darkstripe for his murder. When Fireheart is receiving his nine lives, Redtail appears in StarClan, giving Firestar his second life, the life of justice, and thanks Fireheart for revealing Tigerclaw's treachery and giving him peace.
Redtail partakes in the great battle, and helps the Clans fight back the Place of No Stars, reuniting with his friends from when he was alive. He witnesses Firestar's death, and helps bring the new StarClan spirit to StarClan.
In the Super Editions
- Redtail is one of the cats present during Firestar's leader ceremony. Moth Flight witnesses Redtail giving Firestar one of his nine lives, and she also sees other cats present, although she is unable to speak to them.
- Redkit is born alongside his littermates, Spottedkit and Willowkit, to Swiftbreeze and Adderfang. Their older siblings are Patchpelt and Leopardfoot. Redkit is seen with his littermates and mother just before the Clan meeting.
- He is later made an apprentice, with Sparrowpelt as his mentor. Thistleclaw scolds him for not swiping high enough while training, to the horror of Bluefur. When Bluefur takes her kits to RiverClan, Stonekit brags that Redpaw has already shown him how to do the hunting crouch.
- Near the end of the story, he is sitting with Bluestar as Redtail, who is now the deputy of ThunderClan. They watch the apprentices, Dustpaw, Ravenpaw, Graypaw, and his daughter, Sandpaw.
In The Prophecies Begin arc
- During one of many battles between ThunderClan and RiverClan over Sunningrocks, it is clear that ThunderClan is outnumbered and does not have the power to win the battle. Redtail, ThunderClan's deputy, realizes this, and decides that it is time for ThunderClan to retreat, making the conclusion that it is unsafe due to RiverClan's numbers. Redtail calls to Tigerclaw, one of ThunderClan's strongest warriors, telling him that he believes this battle is useless, caused by the sheer amount of enemy cats they have to fight. Redtail urges Tigerclaw to abandon the battle, saying that Bluestar would not want them to risk their warriors by trying to fight for an impossible victory. Leaping onto a boulder, he yowls to ThunderClan, ordering them back to ThunderClan's camp. Redtail and the others retreat into the woods, although Tigerclaw holds back for a moment and stares at the battlefield with a grim face, realizing that ThunderClan has lost Sunningrocks. He eventually follows Redtail and the others in his Clan back into the trees, towards ThunderClan's camp.
- During another fight with RiverClan over Sunningrocks, Redtail dies at the claws of Tigerclaw, the same ThunderClan warrior who tried to convince Redtail to keep fighting RiverClan over Sunningrocks. Tigerclaw lies about Redtail's death, telling the rest of ThunderClan that the RiverClan deputy, Oakheart, had killed Redtail in battle. Tigerclaw says that he had killed Oakheart to avenge his fallen Clanmate's death. However, Tigerclaw's apprentice, Ravenpaw, witnessed what actually had happened. Oakheart had been killed by an accidental rockfall while he and Redtail were fighting, and then Tigerclaw took the opportunity to kill Redtail and blame it on Oakheart.
- Ravenpaw describes Redtail as very brave, and Bluestar refers to him as a noble cat who was never swayed by pride or self-interest. Dustpaw is devastated when he hears that his mentor has died. Tigerclaw had hoped to succeed Redtail after his death, but Bluestar chooses Lionheart as the next deputy instead. However, after Lionheart is killed in a battle against ShadowClan, Tigerclaw is chosen as the new deputy, achieving his ambition at last. Firepaw later learns from Ravenpaw the truth about Redtail's death, and takes him away from ThunderClan to keep him safe from Tigerclaw.
- Fireheart continues to investigate the real reason behind Redtail's death, and the tortoiseshell tom is mentioned by Fireheart multiple times, as he questions different cats and tries to get justice for the fallen deputy.
- When Tigerclaw's treachery is finally exposed after he tries to murder Bluestar, Fireheart announces Tigerclaw's role in Redtail's death to the rest of ThunderClan. This causes Dustpelt, Redtail's apprentice and a once strong supporter of Tigerclaw, to reject Tigerclaw when the latter invites Dustpelt to follow him into exile. Shaking with grief and anger, Dustpelt tells Tigerclaw that he would rather die than follow him, because he killed Redtail, who was his mentor.
- Redtail appears as one of the cats who gives Firestar his nine lives. With his life he gives Firestar justice, and thanks Firestar for revealing the truth when no one else could, referring to Firestar exposing Tigerclaw's role in his death.
- Later, Redtail is mentioned when Ravenpaw comes out of the barn he and Barley share. It is said that Ravenpaw was the only cat besides Tigerstar that knew of Redtail's death.
- During the battle against BloodClan, Firestar sees the dark fur and bushy red tail of Redtail, along with all the other StarClan cats that gave him his nine lives.
In the Power of Three arc
In the Omen of the Stars arc
- Redtail appears when Jayfeather is going over the cats who gave Firestar his nine lives, shortly after the leader's death. Jayfeather notes that he gave Firestar courage, though Redtail actually gave him justice.
In the Field Guides
- Redtail briefly appears in one of the stories and is sick with greencough. He is overheard by Longtail speaking with Bluestar about hunting patrols. He orders Longtail and Darkstripe to go hunt, since they weren't sick.
- In "Dustpaw Speaks: Shadows in the Forest", Dustpaw mentions that Redtail was stuck in camp with a bellyache after eating a rotten blackbird, and so he went out training with Tigerclaw instead. Tigerclaw asked if Redtail ever taught Dustpaw how to catch prey in trees, while he was teaching him how to swing from branches. His name is mentioned when Tigerclaw, Dustpaw, Darkstripe and Longtail confuse the attacking ShadowClan patrol with multiple Lightning Strikes. Dustpaw then calls out to Redtail, to fool the ShadowClan patrol into thinking that there are more cats fighting them.
- It is mentioned on Tigerstar's page that in a clash over Sunningrocks, Tigerclaw saw his chance to become deputy of ThunderClan, so he killed Redtail, blamed it on their rivals and was eventually made deputy.
- Redtail is also mentioned on Ravenpaw and Barley's page that Ravenpaw was put in terrible danger by witnessing Redtail's death then lying about it to his Clanmates.
In the Novellas
- Redkit is playing with Spottedkit and attacks Brindlekit, who is pretending to be one of the rogues. Spottedkit yells at him because she had not signalled for him to attack yet and tells him he can no longer play as the deputy. Redkit says he doesn't want to play with Spottedkit because she is too bossy. Redkit jumps at Thistleclaw and winds him, causing Whitepaw to fetch Featherwhisker. He then announces that they hurt Thistleclaw very badly.
- Redpaw is apprenticed to Halftail, along with Spottedpaw and Willowpaw. During the apprentices' ceremony, Tigerpaw is seen glaring at the newly appointed apprentices. Redpaw tells Spottedpaw not to worry about it. He is taken to see the territory with Halftail, Thistleclaw, Tigerpaw, Thrushpelt, Spottedpaw, and Willowpaw join them.
- Redpaw notices Spottedpaw is out of the medicine cat den and goes over to talk to her.
- The tortoiseshell tom is seen dragging a squirrel Willowpaw caught through the gorse tunnel with her. When asked whether Willowpaw caught it he says it nearly flew off with her.
- He wakes Spottedpaw up after her visit to the Dark Forest, and asks where she was the night before.
- Barley reminds Ravenpaw why he left ThunderClan, that Tigerclaw knew Ravenpaw saw him kill Redtail.
- When Tigerclaw invites Dustpelt to follow him into exile, the latter refuses, because Tigerclaw killed his mentor, Redtail. Tigerclaw instantly remembers Redtail, thinking he deserved to die because he was too much like Bluestar, always seeking peace. The dark brown tom is jerked from the memories of the red slash opening in Redtail's throat when Bluestar begins talking.
- He has SkyClan blood, because he and his sisters, Spottedleaf and Willowpelt, are SkyClan descendants.
- It is odd to note that Redtail fathered Sandstorm, as male tortoiseshells typically cannot father kits because they are commonly born sterile.
- He has been mistakenly described as russet and red.
- In The Last Hope, it is said that he gave Firestar a life of courage, when he really gave him a life of justice, and Lionheart gave him courage.
Please do not edit this gallery
- Leopardfoot: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Willowpelt: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Spottedleaf: Deceased, no residence
- Longtail: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Graystripe: Living (As of The Raging Storm)
- Darkstripe: Deceased, verified Place of No Stars member
- Rainwhisker: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Sootfur: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Tigerstar: Deceased, no residence
- Mistkit: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Nightkit: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Sorreltail: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Stormfur: Living (As of Sign of the Moon)
- Bumblestripe: Living (As of The Raging Storm)
- Bramblestar: Living (As of The Raging Storm)
- Hawkfrost: Deceased, no residence
- Tadpole: Deceased, residence unknown
- Molepaw: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Feathertail: Deceased, verified Tribe of Endless Hunting and StarClan member
- Blossomfall: Living (As of The Raging Storm)
- Briarlight: Deceased, residence unknown
- Tawnypelt: Living (As of The Raging Storm)
- Mothwing: Living (As of The Raging Storm)
- Cinderheart: Living (As of The Raging Storm)
- Honeyfern: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Poppyfrost: Living (As of The Raging Storm)
- Seedpaw: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Lilyheart: Living (As of The Raging Storm)
- Pine That Clings to Rock: Living (As of Sign of the Moon)
- Tigerstar: Living (As of The Raging Storm)
- Flametail: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Molewhisker: Living (As of The Raging Storm)
- Larksong: Living (As of The Raging Storm)
- Stempaw: Living (As of The Raging Storm)
- Lark That Sings at Dawn: Living (As of Sign of the Moon)
- Dawnpelt: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Cherryfall: Living (As of The Raging Storm)
- Leafshade: Living (As of The Raging Storm)
- Honeyfur: Living (As of The Raging Storm)
- Eaglepaw: Living (As of The Raging Storm)
- Plumpaw: Living (As of The Raging Storm)
- Shellpaw: Living (As of The Raging Storm)
- Juniperclaw: Deceased, residence unknown
- Strikestone: Living (As of The Raging Storm)
- Shadowkit: Living (As of The Raging Storm)
- Sleekwhisker: Living (As of River of Fire)
- Pouncekit: Living (As of The Raging Storm)
- Lightkit: Living (As of The Raging Storm)
- Lionblaze: Living (As of The Raging Storm)
- Jayfeather: Living (As of The Raging Storm)
- Alderheart: Living (As of The Raging Storm)
- Juniperkit: Deceased, residence unknown
- Hollyleaf: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Sparkpelt: Living (As of The Raging Storm)
- Dandelionkit: Deceased, residence unknown
- Hollytuft: Living (As of The Raging Storm)
- Sorrelstripe: Living (As of The Raging Storm)
- Spotpaw: Living (As of The Raging Storm)
- Flypaw: Living (As of The Raging Storm)
- Goosefeather: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Moonflower: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Bluestar: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Snowfur: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Mistystar: Living (As of The Raging Storm)
- Mosskit: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Stonefur: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Whitestorm: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Sootfur: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Rainwhisker: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Reedwhisker: Living (As of The Raging Storm)
- Perchkit: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Pikepaw: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Primrosepaw: Deceased, verified StarClan member
= Gender Unknown
- "Redtail was her deputy for many, many, moons. She won't want to let him go too quickly. He was one of the best warriors. Not as big and powerful as Tigerclaw or Lionheart, but quick and clever."
- —Graypaw about Redtail Into the Wild, page 45
- "With this life I give you justice. Use it well as you judge the actions of others."
- —Redtail to Fireheart The Darkest Hour, page 48
- "Thank you. You revealed the truth when no other cat could."
- —Redtail thanking Fireheart for revealing Tigerstar's actions The Darkest Hour, page 48
References and citations
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 48
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Revealed in Into the Wild, allegiances
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 362
- ↑ Revealed in Into the Wild, page 40
- ↑ Revealed in Into the Wild, page 241
- ↑ Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 364
- ↑ Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 403
- ↑ Revealed in Into the Wild, page 44
- ↑ Revealed in Spottedleaf's Heart, chapter 2
- ↑ Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 504
- ↑ Revealed in Into the Wild, page 51
- ↑ Revealed in Into the Wild, page 2
- ↑ Revealed in Code of the Clans, page 39
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 14.3 14.4 Revealed in Erin Hunter Chat 4
- ↑ https://www.acsh.org/news/2016/07/27/calico-cats-are-a-walking-genetics-lesson
- ↑ Revealed in The Last Hope, pages 328-329
- ↑ Revealed in Moth Flight's Vision, page 265
- ↑ Revealed in The Last Hope, page 329
- ↑ Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 47
- ↑ 20.0 20.1 20.2 Revealed on Vicky's Facebook page
- ↑ Revealed on Vicky's Facebook page
- ↑ 22.0 22.1 22.2 22.3 Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 8
- ↑ Revealed in Goosefeather's Curse, page Chapter 3
- ↑ Revealed in Goosefeather's Curse, chapter 3
- ↑ Revealed on Vicky's Facebook page
- ↑ Revealed on Vicky's Facebook page
- ↑ 27.0 27.1 27.2 27.3 Revealed in Rising Storm, page 120
- ↑ 28.0 28.1 28.2 Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 266
- ↑ Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 100
- ↑ 30.0 30.1 Revealed in Forest of Secrets, page 223
- ↑ 31.0 31.1 31.2 Revealed in Eclipse, page 158
- ↑ 32.0 32.1 Revealed in Rising Storm, pages 19-20
- ↑ 33.0 33.1 33.2 Revealed in Return to the Clans, pages 2-3
- ↑ 34.0 34.1 34.2 34.3 Revealed in Sunset, page 27
- ↑ 35.0 35.1 Revealed in The Forgotten Warrior, page 146
- ↑ 36.0 36.1 Revealed in Sign of the Moon, page 2
- ↑ 37.0 37.1 37.2 Revealed in Dark River, pages 20-21
- ↑ 38.0 38.1 Revealed in The Fourth Apprentice, page 299
- ↑ 39.0 39.1 39.2 Revealed in The Apprentice's Quest, undefined
- ↑ 40.0 40.1 40.2 40.3 Revealed in Shattered Sky, page 47
- ↑ 41.0 41.1 Revealed in Shattered Sky, pages 114-115
- ↑ 42.0 42.1 42.2 Revealed in Tigerheart's Shadow, chapter 18
- ↑ Revealed in Thunder and Shadow, pages 347-348
- ↑ 44.0 44.1 Revealed in Firestar's Quest, page 509
- ↑ 45.0 45.1 45.2 Revealed in Sunrise, page 305
- ↑ 46.0 46.1 Revealed in The Apprentice's Quest, page 8
- ↑ 47.0 47.1 Revealed in The Apprentice's Quest, page 9
- ↑ 48.0 48.1 48.2 Revealed in Bramblestar's Storm, page 478
- ↑ 49.0 49.1 49.2 Revealed in River of Fire, undefined
- ↑ 50.0 50.1 50.2 Revealed in River of Fire, page 203
- ↑ 51.0 51.1 Revealed in Goosefeather's Curse, allegiances
- ↑ 52.0 52.1 52.2 Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 502
- ↑ Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 18
- ↑ Revealed to be a in Erin Hunter Chat 6, undefined
- ↑ 55.0 55.1 55.2 Revealed in Mistystar's Omen, chapter 3