|"I'm loyal to my new Clan! Your time is over, you're nothing but an elder growing old over and over. Why don't you just give up and die?"|
|— Redwillow threatening Blackstar in The Last Hope, page 280|
Redwillow is a Dark Forest warrior, formerly of ShadowClan under Blackstar's leadership in the lake territories, who was recruited by the Place of No Stars as trainee in preparation for the Great Battle. In ShadowClan, Redpaw trained under Whitewater, but after receiving his warrior name, Redwillow became disillusioned with Clan doctrine and was eager to prove his loyalty to the Dark Forest. He fought against the Clans during the Great Battle, and was killed for his treachery by Blackstar.
In the Power of Three arc
In the Omen of the Stars arc
- Redpaw is now a warrior, with the name of Redwillow. He goes on a ShadowClan patrol with Tawnypelt, her apprentice, Starlingpaw, and Owlclaw. They see the questing cats, Sedgewhisker, Whitetail, Tigerheart, Toadfoot, Petalfur, Lionblaze, and Dovepaw, returning home. Redwillow, along with the rest of the patrol, is excited and quite relieved to see them, and they escort them back to the ShadowClan camp.
- During a Gathering, while Dovepaw attempts to catch Tigerheart's attention, Redwillow slides in to sit beside Tigerheart and Snowbird, and the dark tabby disappears behind Redwillow's head. After the leaders are done speaking, he gossips with Snowbird and two unnamed WindClan warriors. In the battle of the border, he fights in the battle against ThunderClan. After flipping Owlclaw out of his path, Lionblaze easily manages to knock Redwillow away.
- After the battle over a strip of territory with ThunderClan, Redwillow lies by the entrance to the warriors' den in the ShadowClan camp. His fur is clumped up, and he tries to give his flank a lick. He flinches from the pain, and lays back down again, panting from exhaustion. Rowanclaw starts organizing the day's patrols. He puts Ratscar, Applefur, Snowbird, and Scorchfur in charge of the hunting patrols for that day, and puts Redwillow in charge of the border patrol.
- When Flametail is at the camp entrance, he hears Redwillow and Pinepaw making joyful sounds down by the lake, noting they they actually seem to sound happy, instead of fearing for their lives. Flametail goes down to see what is happening, and watches as Redwillow races over the ice before happily sliding on his belly and spinning across the frozen lake.
- In the Dark Forest, Ivypool watches the gathered Clan cats practice a new move Hawkfrost shows them. She thinks about how she had never seen so many there, and sees Redwillow train with his Clanmates, Tigerheart, Applefur, and Ratscar.
- Ivypool reflects on the tough training Hawkfrost had Redwillow, Sunstrike, and herself do the night before. The cats had trained for quite a while, and Hawkfrost did not allow any cat to leave until their claw marks were all over the others' pelts. During a Gathering, when Cherrypaw's and Molepaw's apprentice names are announced, Ivypool notices Redwillow eyeing the two apprentices thoughtfully, and resists the urge to tell him he won't have them for the Dark Forest.
- Redwillow is present during a meeting Brokenstar calls, and in amongst the gathered Dark Forest trainees, Ivypool notices him sitting beside Tigerheart. He is on patrol with Dawnpelt and Scorchfur, with Dawnpelt in the lead. As the cream she-cat is needlessly hostile towards the ThunderClan cats, Redwillow steps forward and tells Dawnpelt to stop fussing about the ThunderClan scent markers, saying that they are fine. He catches Ivypool's eye and gives her a nod. Hollyleaf notices this, and once she leads ThunderClan's border patrol away, Hollyleaf asks what's up with Redwillow, commenting that he seemed to know Ivypool better than she'd expect from a ShadowClan cat.
- Later in the day Ivypool explains what had happened to her sister. She asks Dovewing if she thinks Hollyleaf might suspect her of being in the Dark Forest with Redwillow, but Dovewing snorts that she's half-Clan, and the Dark Forest would be the last thing on her mind. Embarassed, Ivypool reassures her that Hollyleaf doesn't have to worry about her taking up with Redwillow or any other outsider Clan cat. At the next Gathering, Lionblaze carefully scans the area for signs of cats knowing each other from the Dark Forest. He notices Redwillow exchanging a glance with Breezepelt, one of many sign of cats of other Clans knowing each other better than they should.
- "At last I can fight properly. You're right about the Clans being weak and lazy. This is easy. They're so obsessed with being honorable and sticking to the warrior code, I can pick them off like mice!"
- —Redwillow to Shredtail during the Great Battle The Last Hope, page 280
- Redwillow is talking excitedly with some of his fellow apprentices in the Dark Forest. When the senior warriors announce they would be going to training in the Clans' territories, Ivypool requests that her apprentices, Birchfall and Redwillow, can go as well. Redwillow later thanks Ivypool for this, saying the more he learns, the faster he can become a Dark Forest warrior. Ivypool asks if he doesn't want to learn how to be a better ShadowClan warrior.
- Hollowflight points out that Dark Forest warriors are stronger and don't worry about rules. Redwillow agrees, also saying he felt like he was training with kittypets when he trained with ShadowClan. Hollowflight says only the strongest survive in the Dark Forest, and Redwillow says it should be like that in the Clans, too. Ivypool demands to know if Redwillow would let his weaker Clanmates die, and he looks alarmed, as if he realized he had revealed too much. He stammers that of course he wouldn't, and that they just had a lot to learn from the Dark Forest warriors so they could become true warriors.
- Redwillow fights for the Dark Forest when they attack the Clans, unlike other apprentices, who fight for their Clans. In the ShadowClan camp, when confronted by Shredtail, Snowbird and Lionblaze watch Redwillow drag Dawnpelt across camp. Shredtail tells Snowbird and Lionblaze that Redwillow had been training in the Dark Forest, along with Ratscar; when Redwillow hears his name, he releases Dawnpelt, who asks why he was attacking her, because she isn't the enemy.
- Shredtail beckons Redwillow over, and asks how the battle was going. The mottled brown-and-ginger tom, eyes shining, says it was going well, and that he could fight properly. He tells Shredtail he was right about the Clans being weak and lazy, and they were so concerned with following the warrior code, he could easily defeat them one by one. Snowbird attacks Redwillow, saying she's going to kill him, but Blackstar stops her. Redwillow tells Blackstar that he is loyal to his new Clan, referring to the Dark Forest, and that Blackstar was just an elder growing old over and over. Redwillow asks why Blackstar didn't just give up and die. Blackstar states that he was still Clan leader, and Redwillow has betrayed them all before tearing a wound in Redwillow's chest. Astonished, Redwillow looks from Blackstar to the gash before collapsing, dead. Shredtail snarls that Blackstar had killed his loyal warrior, to which the Clan leader retorts that he had killed a traitor and is ready to kill another.
In the Super Editions
- At a Gathering, Redwillow is listed among the list of cats who died in the battle against the Dark Forest by Blackstar.
In the Field Guides
- Redpaw trains with Tigerheart in "Special Battle Tactic: Tigerheart Teaches the Night Ambush" as an apprentice, along with Shrewpaw, Olivepaw, Scorchpaw, and Owlpaw.
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
- Eclipse (First appearance; allegiance only)
- Long Shadows (Allegiance only)
- Sunrise (Allegiance only)
- Hollyleaf's Story (Allegiance only)
- The Fourth Apprentice
- Mistystar's Omen (Allegiance only)
- Fading Echoes
- Night Whispers
- Sign of the Moon
- The Forgotten Warrior
- The Last Hope †
- Bramblestar's Storm (Mentioned only)
- Battles of the Clans
- "No! I'm loyal to my own Clan. And he should be loyal to his!"
- —Ivypool in her thoughts about Redwillow and Clan loyalty The Forgotten Warrior, page 276
- Redwillow: "I feel like I’m training with kittypets when I’m with my Clanmates."
- Hollowflight: "Here, only the strongest survive."
- The Last Hope, pages 111-112
- "Murderers deserve to be punished!"
- —Redwillow when Jayfeather is accused of killing Flametail The Last Hope, page 146
- "I am still leader of this Clan. And you have betrayed us all."
- —Blackstar angrily telling Redwillow he's a traitor The Last Hope, page 280
- (Indirect mention only)
Notes and references
- ↑ Revealed on Vicky's Facebook
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Revealed in Eclipse, allegiances
- ↑ Revealed in The Last Hope, pages 280-281
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Revealed in The Fourth Apprentice, allegiances
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Revealed in The Last Hope, page 280
- ↑ Revealed in The Last Hope, page 110
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Revealed in Fading Echoes, page 108
- ↑ Revealed in The Last Hope, page 5
|Dark Forest cats|
|Leaders||Tigerstar • Hawkfrost • Mapleshade • Thistleclaw • Maggottail • Brokenstar|
|Members||Antpelt • Clawface • Darkstripe • Houndleap • Silverhawk • Snowtuft • Shredtail • Sparrowfeather • Redwillow • Rushtooth|
|Trainees||Crookedstar • Thistleclaw • Bramblestar • Hawkfrost • Lionblaze • Ivypool • Mousewhisker • Birchfall • Blossomfall • Thornclaw • Tigerstar • Antpelt • Ratscar • Applefur • Redwillow • Sunstrike • Harestar • Breezepelt • Minnowtail • Icewing • Beetlewhisker • Hollowflight • Furzepelt • Larkwing • Whiskernose|