|"Not of rain, but of a great new dawn that awaits our Clan. In that ray of light, our warrior ancestors showed me the future, and it will be glorious!"|
|— Runningnose discussing the future of ShadowClan in Rising Storm, page 5|
Runningnose was a ShadowClan medicine cat who has served under Brokenstar's, Nightstar's, Tigerstar's, and Blackstar's leaderships in the forest territories. He was born as Runningkit to Lizardstripe and Mudclaw alongside his littermates, Tanglekit and Deerkit, and had Brokenkit as a foster brother. He took an interest in medicine and became Yellowfang's apprentice as Runningpaw, where he served his Clan loyally and compassionately. Later, he received his full name, Runningnose, and was heartbroken when his former mentor was exiled by Brokenstar.
Once Brokenstar was exiled, Nightpelt took over ShadowClan, and the two kept a secret that Nightstar was not granted nine lives. During the sickness pandemic, Runningnose struggled to heal his Clan, and he was not able to save Nightstar nor Cinderfur. He was later forced to take up the titles of leader, medicine cat, and deputy, until StarClan sent him a sign; however, after an omen appeared, Tigerclaw became ShadowClan's new leader, yet Runningnose felt guilty for even allowing it to happen. He gained an apprentice, Littlecloud, and soon after, he retired as an elder. Runningnose ascended to StarClan, where he spent most of his time with Raggedstar.
- 1 History
- 2 Character pixels
- 3 Alternate images
- 4 Official art
- 5 Ceremonies
- 6 Personality
- 7 Relationships
- 8 Kin
- 9 Appearances
- 10 Trivia
- 11 Quotes
- 12 External links
- 13 Notes and references
Looking for a longer overview? Find one here!
- "No, Fireheart. I'm not asking you to betray your Clan's secrets. Whatever happened in ThunderClan, I'm certain of one thing. StarClan did send Tigerstar to us."
- ―Runningnose to Fireheart about Tigerstar's leadership A Dangerous Path, page 57
- Runningnose arrives at the Gathering to inform the other Clans that ShadowClan had survived the sickness and that Nightstar and Cinderfur had died. When asked who the new ShadowClan leader was, Tigerstar, the exiled ThunderClan deputy, arrives, and Runningnose fidgets uncomfortably when Tigerstar mentions how Runningnose received a message from StarClan. At this time, Fireheart also reveals that Runningnose's former mentor, Yellowfang, passed away, though Runningnose is too grief stricken to reply.
- Littlecloud, a former warrior, becomes his apprentice, and Fireheart joins Cinderpelt at Fourtrees to speak with Runningnose. He explains how life in ShadowClan had been reinvigorated since Tigerstar took command, and that StarClan refused to give Nightstar his nine lives, but was a noble leader nonetheless. He later journeys with Blackfoot to receive his nine lives after the battle against BloodClan.
- "Go swiftly to StarClan, my friend. We will look after your Clanmates."
- ―Runningnose mourning Mudfur Dawn, page 224
- Raggedstar: "Sol's time in ShadowClan must come to an end. He is like the darkness that covered the sun."
- Runningnose: "He seems to have taken over your Clan, but he will pass and be forgotten in the brightness that follows. Brightness that will shine on ShadowClan for countless moons."
- Long Shadows, pages 119-120
- Now in StarClan, Runningnose appears in Littlecloud's dreams and encourages his former apprentice to never give up on Blackstar, who is questioning his faith in StarClan. However, under Sol's influence, Blackstar forces ShadowClan to stop believing in StarClan. Runningnose and Raggedstar appeal to Jaypaw to restore ShadowClan's faith. Jaypaw, Lionblaze, Hollyleaf, Tigerpaw, Dawnpaw, and Flamepaw fake a sign to persuade Blackfoot and Littlecloud. Runningnose and Raggedstar appear and urge their former Clanmates to believe and drive Sol out of ShadowClan.
- "I made a vow to serve ShadowClan and that will outlast any leader."
- ―Runningnose to Yellowfang Yellowfang's Secret, page 479
- "Look around you. ShadowClan is not on the brink of destruction! Your Clan is full of strong, able warriors. You know in your heart which one will make the best leader. You alone know the signs that StarClan might send. Your ancestors trust you enough to be their voice in ShadowClan. You can help them choose the next leader."
- ―Tigerclaw encouraging Runningnose to trust himself Tigerclaw's Fury, page chapter 10
- As the Gathering draws closer, Runningnose once again confides with Tigerclaw, this time fretting about not having an official leader or deputy. Tigerclaw reassures him that StarClan has not forgotten them, and ShadowClan has been thriving at the moment. When asked if Runningnose should fake a sign from StarClan about choosing the next leader, Tigerclaw insists the medicine cat should listen to his head and listen for StarClan's guidance. The day before the Gathering, Runningnose notices a claw covered in shadows resembling tiger stripes and declares that it as a sign from StarClan that Tigerclaw should be leader. Tigerclaw accepts and later realizes that Jaggedtooth faked the sign.
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
|Runningpaw's medicine cat apprentice ceremony|
|Runningnose's medicine cat ceremony|
- Runningnose is a nervous tom eager to prove himself. He is cheerful, hard-working, and patient, and was a skilled medicine cat of ShadowClan.
- Runningnose enjoyed working as a medicine cat under Yellowfang, and was always paying attention and listening to her. Yellowfang was proud to give her apprentice his full name, and she names him Runningnose as a reminder that medicine cats cannot cure everything. When Yellowfang was banished from ShadowClan, she trusted Runningnose to be her former Clan’s sole medicine cat.
= Gender Unknown
= Gender Unknown
- Moth Flight's Vision (Vision or Dream)
- Yellowfang's Secret
- Into the Wild (First appearance)
- Fire and Ice
- Forest of Secrets
- Rising Storm
- Tigerclaw's Fury
- Into the Woods
- A Dangerous Path
- The Darkest Hour
- Firestar's Quest (Allegiance only)
- Graystripe's Vow (Allegiance only)
- Midnight (Allegiance only)
- Moonrise (Allegiance only)
- Starlight (Allegiance only)
- Long Shadows
- Fading Echoes (Mentioned only)
- Night Whispers
- Cats of the Clans
- The Ultimate Guide
- Runningnose was given his name as a reminder that medicine cats cannot cure everything.
- While Nightstar was sick, Runningnose played the roles of both deputy and medicine cat, and stood in as temporary leader until StarClan decided to appoint a new leader.
- Although Runningnose mentions he has no expertise in battle training, it is mentioned in Night Whispers that all ShadowClan medicine cats are trained to fight like warriors.
- Cherith imagines Runningnose's prediction of a glorious future for ShadowClan was fulfilled when Tigerstar became leader.
- "Runningpaw, from this moment you will be known as Runningnose. Your name will be a reminder that medicine cats cannot cure everything - but we always need to have faith enough to try. StarClan honors your intelligence and your dedication. Now come, touch your muzzle to the Moonstone, and may all your dreams be good ones."
- ―Yellowfang giving Runningnose his full name Yellowfang's Secret, page 403
- "I couldn't hope for a more patient and loyal medicine cat to have beside me."
- ―Yellowfang thinking about Runningnose Yellowfang's Secret, page 465
- Runningnose: "I'm so sorry! I'll prove it was a fox! You'll be back soon! Come to the next half-moon Gathering!"
- Yellowfang: "Runningnose, you have been a dear and loyal friend, but I cannot stay here. Not as long as Brokenstar rules. This is not the ShadowClan I pledged to serve. They are lucky to have you. May StarClan light your path. Always."
- Yellowfang's Secret, page 492
- "I can't see why they appointed him when he can't even cure his own cold!"
- ―Graypaw about Runningnose Into the Wild, page 144
- "Runningnose was with [Nightstar] all night. He won't leave Nightstar's side. He let a kit die at its mother's belly without even a poppy seed to ease its journey to StarClan! We are afraid that he'll let us die too. Please help us!"
- ―Littlecloud about Runningnose during a plague Rising Storm, page 93
- "Out of the corner of his eye, Fireheart noticed Runningnose shifting uncomfortably. For some reason, he looked unhappy at the mention of the omen."
- ―Narrator about Runningnose A Dangerous Path, page 9
- "Fireheart noticed Runningnose sitting erect and gazing upward, his eyes clouded with sorrow. He had been Yellowfang's apprentice when she was ShadowClan's medicine cat, before Brokentail drove her out."
- ―Narrator about Runningnose A Dangerous Path, page 12
- "Wherever Nightstar is, I hope he is at peace. The most important thing to do now is to keep the rest of the Clan safe. My Clanmates are terrified of being leaderless. There is no deputy to take over from Nightstar, and StarClan has sent us no sign of what should happen next. How can I blame these cats if they feel that their ancestors have abandoned them? What if we never recover from what Brokenstar did to us? The wounds run so deep, and nothing I can do will heal them."
- ―Runningnose to Tigerclaw Tigerclaw's Fury, page chapter 7
- "Even as we mourn Nightstar, life must continue. The worst of the sickness has passed, we must make ourselves strong once more."
- ―Runningnose to ShadowClan Tigerclaw's Fury, page Chapter 7
- "What kind of medicine cat can't cure his own cold?"
- ―Jayfeather's thoughts about Runningnose Eclipse, page 142
- Runningnose: "How are things? Is the prey running well?"
- Littlecloud: "Prey's running fine."
- Eclipse, pages 142-144
- "I have spoken to Littlecloud in dreams. He keeps faith, but few cats will listen to him, and now Blackstar has forbidden him to speak of StarClan. He is not allowed to leave camp to share tongues with us at the Moonpool."
- ―Runningnose to the grief-stricken ShadowClan Long Shadows, page 65
- "Runningnose must have regretted the day he asked to become Yellowfang's apprentice. As Brokenstar's medicine cat, he was forced to interpret omens that promised nothing but success in battle for his bloodthirsty leader, and then tried to stop the life blood of the Clan from sinking into the ground as apprentices were taken from the nursery. Even after Brokenstar was captured by ThunderClan, Runningnose had more secrets to keep: this time, the fact that StarClan would not grant Nightstar his nine lives. His conscience must have weighed heavier than stone."
- ―Rock about Runningnose Cats of the Clans, page 42
- (Indirect mention only)
- (Mentioned only)
- (Mentioned only)
- (Allegiance only)
Notes and references
- Revealed in Eclipse, page 142
- Revealed in Into the Wild, allegiances
- Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 134
- Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 287
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 333
- Revealed in Tigerclaw's Fury, chapter 4
- Revealed in Tigerclaw's Fury, chapter 7
- Revealed in Firestar's Quest, allegiances
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, pages 355-356
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 355
- Revealed in A Dangerous Path, page 55
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 492
- Revealed in A Dangerous Path, page 6
- Revealed in Fire and Ice, allegiances
- Revealed in A Dangerous Path, allegiances
- Revealed in Rising Storm, page 1
- Revealed in The Ultimate Guide, page 89
- Revealed in The Ultimate Guide, page 88
- Revealed in The Ultimate Guide, page 65
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret
- Revealed in Secrets of the Clans, page 69
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, pages 341-342
- Revealed in Secrets of the Clans, page 70
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret, page 403
- Revealed in Tigerclaw's Fury, chapter 8
- Revealed in Night Whispers, page 64
- Revealed in Erin Hunter Chat 3
- Revealed in Into the Woods, page 66
- Revealed in Yellowfang's Secret manga