|"Runningwind is a fine hunter and a loyal warrior, but I don't think he has the patience for mentoring. ThunderClan has better use for his skills."|
|— Bluestar to Tigerclaw about Runningwind in Fire and Ice, page 94|
Runningwind was a ThunderClan warrior under Bluestar's leadership in the forest territories. He was born as Runningkit to White-eye and Sparrowpelt alongside his sister, Mousekit. As a warrior, Runningwind fathered Dappletail's kits; Featherkit and Cricketkit, both of whom died young. Runningwind was killed by Tigerclaw while out on patrol with Mousefur and Thornpaw. Once he ascended to StarClan, Runningwind gave Fireheart one of his nine lives and fought in the Great Battle.
- 1 History
- 1.1 In The Prophecies Begin arc
- 1.2 In the Omen of the Stars arc
- 1.3 In the Super Editions
- 1.4 In the Novellas
- 1.5 In the Field Guides
- 2 Character pixels
- 3 Official art
- 4 Kin
- 5 Appearances
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Quotes
- 8 External links
- 9 Notes and references
In The Prophecies Begin arc
- "So it's that simple, is it? We just drop into your camp, snatch the kits, kill your leader, and go home."
- ―Runningwind to Ashfur of ShadowClan Into the Wild, page 255
- After Frostfur's litter is stolen, he is one of the cats who is on the patrol that goes to ShadowClan to bring them back. He is mentioned saying that the task would not be easy, but Ashfur says that there is little resistance. In the process of rescuing the kits, he helps drive out Brokenstar and his followers. He gets clawed badly in the battle as he takes on two unnamed ginger warriors. When offered help, he claims that he does not need help and manages to continue to fight off the invaders at the end of the battle.
- "Ah. Bluestar thought you might be. That's why she asked me to help you with Cinderpaw's and Brackenpaw's training today. Is that okay with you?"
- ―Runningwind upon stumbling over a tired Fireheart Fire and Ice, page 149
- Graystripe catches a cold, and Runningwind is assigned to help train Brackenpaw. He and Fireheart take their apprentices out and begin to show them the different hunting techniques. When Fireheart leaves early saying he is not feeling good, Runningwind comments that he does look off. Runningwind calls out a greeting to Fireheart when he is sharing tongues with Graystripe, but Fireheart just ignores him.
- Along with the majority of ThunderClan, he has doubts that Cloudkit, Fireheart's kittypet nephew, could ever become a warrior. He says that the Clan has enough to worry about without another kittypet. He complains that the fluffy tom will eat all of the fresh-kill until the next snowfall and then die from the cold.
- Runningwind joins in a meal with Graystripe, asking if he had a good hunt. When Fireheart asks if he was going to the next Gathering, he eagerly replies that he is. He later comes back from a patrol on the RiverClan border with Willowpelt, Darkstripe, and Dustpaw. When Whitestorm's patrol returns with rabbit bones covered in ShadowClan scent, Tigerclaw orders Runningwind, Darkstripe, Willowpelt, and Mousefur to come with him on a raiding patrol, and they leave before Bluestar returns. However, the patrol is stopped by Brackenpaw, who tells them that the ShadowClan cats are Brokenstar and his rogues. He and Mousefur exchange a glance when they hear that Yellowfang is tending to the former leader's wounds.
- One morning, he and Tigerclaw emerge from the warriors' den for the dawn patrol when Onewhisker comes to their camp, saying that WindClan is under attack by ShadowClan and RiverClan. He joins Tigerclaw's patrol, and they go to WindClan territory. They join the battle a few moments after the first ThunderClan patrol enters the battle. He yowls for help when Nightstar, ShadowClan's new leader, has him pinned down. Fireheart dashes over to him, and together, they fight Nightstar until he is beaten. Afterwards, Runningwind congratulates Fireheart and promises to tell Bluestar about how well he fought.
- "RiverClan isn't going to like this. And a good thing too. It'll keep them off our territory."
- ―Runningwind commenting on the flooding Forest of Secrets, pages 115-116
- During an invasion from ShadowClan and WindClan, he, Willowpelt, and Sandstorm fall back to guard the nursery as the enemy warriors break into their camp. Just before Cloudkit's apprentice ceremony, he listens as Willowpelt announces that she will be having kits soon. He murmurs a congratulations as Mousefur gives her friend a friendly lick on her ear. After Tigerclaw's treachery has been revealed and is exiled, Runningwind wonders, whilst talking to himself, about who the new deputy will be.
- "I will avenge your death."
- ―Fireheart during Runningwind's vigil Rising Storm, page 194
- The next morning, an unenthusiastic Runningwind takes Cloudpaw out for hunting under Fireheart's order. Later, he hunts down Fireheart and asks if he has seen Cloudpaw anywhere. When Fireheart responds that he has not, Runningwind angrily tells him that he told Cloudpaw to wait while he washed, but when he had finished, the apprentice had disappeared. He is exasperated when Cloudpaw returns from hunting by himself and watches from the warriors' den as Fireheart scolds him.
- Fireheart later assigns him to lead a sunhigh patrol and also lists his name off as one of the cats who would be going to the Gathering that night. Runningwind shares prey with Sandstorm a few days later, after she had fought with Fireheart over Cloudpaw. When Fireheart makes amends with Sandstorm, Runningwind does not say a word, but his eyes glow with amusement. He asks sharply what happened to Cloudpaw when Ashpaw comes over to them. He frowns when he hears that Cloudpaw had gone to live with Twolegs, remarking that Darkstripe would enjoy the news.
- He later goes out on an evening patrol with Mousefur and Thornpaw. Not long after the patrol leaves, Mousefur and Thornpaw return to camp, terrified, explaining to everyone that they were attacked and have no idea where Runningwind is. Fireheart takes a patrol out to the Thunderpath, where the patrol had been, and sees Runningwind's body, lying lifelessly on the Thunderpath, with Whitethroat standing over him, shocked. It is revealed that his patrol was attacked by Tigerclaw and his band of rogues, and Tigerclaw had killed Runningwind. His body is then brought back to camp, and the Clan sits vigil for him.
- "With this life I give you tireless energy. Use it well to carry out the duties of a leader."
- ―Runningwind giving Fireheart his fourth life The Darkest Hour, page 50
In the Omen of the Stars arc
- "Runningwind gave tireless energy, which [Firestar] used to served his Clanmates through all his lives."
- ―Jayfeather discussing Firestar's nine lives to ThunderClan The Last Hope, page 326
In the Super Editions
- Although not named, Moth Flight sees Runningwind give Firestar one of his nine lives in her vision.
- Runningkit and his sister, Mousekit, are born to White-eye and Sparrowpelt two and a half moons prior to Bluefur's kitting. As Bluefur gives birth, White-eye tugs Runningkit back by his tail, and tucks him in his nest beside his sibling. Half a moon later, Runningkit and Mousekit, said to be three moons older than Bluefur's kits, tease them as they flick lumps of snow then appearing innocent upon being complained of.
- The following night, Bluefur makes sure she doesn't disturb White-eye or her kits. She then tells her kits to hush, looking anxiously at White-eye's and her kits' nest, where Runningkit fidgets in his sleep. In response, Bluefur wraps her tail around her kits, until Runningkit is still. As she brings them to RiverClan, Stonekit asks if their father was Thrushpelt, as Runningkit informed him that White-eye said that he was their father. Once Bluefur returns, she makes sure Runningkit, Mousekit, and White-eye are still asleep.
In the Novellas
- White-eye is mentioned to give birth to Runningkit and his sister, Mousekit, and both kits are strong and grow quickly. Later, when Bluefur starts kitting, Runningkit and Mousekit stare at the queen with huge eyes. At the time of the Gathering, Bluefur asks Spottedpaw to look after her kits so she can go, telling her that White-eye said she was busy with Runningkit and Mousekit. When the dappled she-cat checks on the kits, Runningkit and the others are asleep.
- During Redtail's warrior ceremony, he spots his former mentor watching his kits fondly. When Tigerclaw and Redtail return to camp, Mousekit and Runningkit eagerly jump up to him and asks if he caught any prey. White-eye calls her kits over to stop bothering him. Later, Redtail spots Runningwind standing guard at the camp entrance, and he acknowledges the deputy with a tired flick of his ears.
- Russetfur: "Great StarClan! You've killed him!"
- Tigerclaw: "He should have reacted more quickly."
- Tigerclaw's Fury, page chapter 6
- While he is on a patrol with Mousefur and Thornpaw, Tigerclaw recalls being sneered at by the three cats, and they are said to have treated Tigerclaw as a prisoner. Tigerclaw then launches himself onto him, making him collapse, and Tigerclaw digs his claws into Runningwind's throat, killing him. Russetfur notes that he killed him, and as he steps off Runningwind's corpse, Tigerclaw claims that Runningwind should have reacted quickly. Whitethroat pads forward to sniff Runningwind's fur and states that he was merely on a patrol. Tigerclaw interprets Runningwind's death as a sign that ShadowClan is powerful once again and kicks Runningwind's corpse. However, Whitethroat still buries his muzzle into Runningwind's fur. As Fireheart and Whitestorm close in on Tigerclaw, the latter is noted to desire watching them grieve for Runningwind, but cannot take them all on.
In the Field Guides
- Runningwind does not formally appear, but his name is called out by Dustpaw in the fight against ShadowClan to make the enemy think there were more cats than there actually were.
Please do not edit this gallery
Please do not edit this gallery
- Snowkit: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Lionheart: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Goldenflower: Deceased, verified StarClan member
- Mistlekit: Deceased, verified StarClan member
|Harepounce ♀||Stagleap ♂|
|Halftail ♂||One-eye ♀||Speckletail ♀|
|Runningwind ♂||Mousefur ♀||Goldenflower ♀||Snowkit ♂||Mistlekit ♀||Lionheart ♂|
|Unnamed kit||Swiftpaw ♂||Bramblestar ♂||Tawnypelt ♀|
|See More||See More|
= Gender Unknown
- Moth Flight's Vision (Vision or Dream)
- Bluestar's Prophecy
- Spottedleaf's Heart
- Redtail's Debt
- Into the Wild (First appearance)
- Fire and Ice
- Forest of Secrets
- Tigerclaw's Fury †
- Rising Storm †
- The Darkest Hour
- The Last Hope
- Secrets of the Clans (Mentioned only; retconned)
- Battles of the Clans (Mentioned only)
The following information is from sources considered non-canon or retconned.
- In Secrets of the Clans, a 2007 field guide, it is revealed that his mentor was Bluestar, and his apprentice name was Runningpaw.
- "Are you okay? Not caught your friend's cold, have you? Mousefur's streaming with it this morning, and Longtail said Swiftpaw sneeze all through training yesterday."
- ―Runningwind to Fireheart Fire and Ice, page 149
- Firestar: "Runningwind! Are you still fast on your paws?"
- Runningwind: "Of course!"
- The Last Hope, page 312
- (Indirect mention only)
- (Indirect mention only)
Notes and references
- Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 49
- Revealed in Into the Wild, allegiances
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 467
- Revealed in Rising Storm, page 181
- Revealed in Rising Storm, page 183
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 463
- Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 305
- Revealed in Tigerclaw's Fury, chapter 5
- Revealed in Fire and Ice, page 314
- Revealed on the screenshot) (
- Revealed in Goosefeather's Curse, chapter 8
- Revealed on Facebook Page
- Revealed in A Dangerous Path, page 44
- Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 48
- Revealed in Rising Storm, page 16
- Revealed in Rising Storm, pages 19-20
- Revealed in A Dangerous Path, page 225
- Revealed in Into the Wild, page 153
- Revealed on the screenshot) (
- Revealed on Vicky's Facebook
- Revealed in Secrets of the Clans, page 23